[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>moving out, want a cat >go to city shelter >see sad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: 20161007_205124.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_205124.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>moving out, want a cat
>go to city shelter
>see sad looking 10 year old ginger kitty
>abandoned by owners because "too many animals"
>going to be euthanized soon
>spend an hour petting him, can't say no to them eyes
>look over medical records, seems good
>take him home
>turns out to be best fucking cat ever
>cuddles all day erry day, loves pets, purr machine
>finally lets me pet his belly, have never felt so special
>"wait, what the hell is that?"
>thick, half-dollar sized lump on belly, firm to the touch
>oh god no
>take him to vet
>vet thinks it's probably cancer
>schedule surgery to remove lump
>might be malignant and already too late, no one has a fucking clue

I'm scared, someone tell me it's going to be okay
>>
If he's still eating and drinking and doesn't look like he's wasting away, he'll be good for a while.
>>
it's probably just a lipoma.
>>
It will be alright as long as your baby is still acting normal and nothing happens during the surgery it should be fine.

I do hope it isnt cancer and if its something bad at least he was happy and was with someone who cared instead of a shelter all alone.
>>
File: download.jpg (20KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
20KB, 300x375px
>>2243377
You still did good. It's gonna be ok. Wanna make it up to him? Make his last few days nice.
Then later try to fall in love again. Get another sweet middle aged cat.

>spend an hour petting him, can't say no to them eyes
At least you got time with him.

I'm still waiting for the day my bf gives up and accepts that I want to adopt Lola, a 14 year old cat that has spent years at the local shelter. She has a raspy meow, like she's been smoking cigs her whole life.
>>
>>2243463
my kitten has the same type of meow, it's adorable.

>>2243377
even if it's cancer, at least he got to be happy for a while. you did good OP.

also your bed looks nice
>>
>>2243395
Asked vet about that. She said lipoma in cats is much rarer than in dogs. She took a needle sample from the mass and saw more than just fat cells, so they need to send off the mass to a pathology unit to be properly examined and give him a correct diagnosis.

>>2243463
What a qt. Go for it
>>
>>2243377
He's got the sweetest little face. If it turns out badly, know that even though his life with you felt short, to him it probably felt like a long while that made his time in the shelter worth it. If he passes away, maybe consider repaying his gift of time with you by rescuing one of his comrades from the shelter.
>>
File: 8BitRevolver-02-01.jpg (67KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
8BitRevolver-02-01.jpg
67KB, 600x486px
~
>>
>>2243377
OP similar thing happened to me. My cat was 8 when I got him at the shelter. He had a limp and the shelter told me he was born that way. I took him to the vet for his first check up and they told me it was a cancerous lump on his leg bone at the joint. They removed it and gave him drugs for a while. He's 17 now and still going strong.
>>
Meh, you gotta realize a cat's body is sort of a miracle of nature. It was not really designed to live more than 4 years (same as humans were designed for sub-20 lifespan). Yet you got cats live 20-25 years as a regular occurrence.

Those years after 10 are probably going to be rocky. You start to notice little things that don't really MEAN anything but are just reminders that the cat is past it's prime, like vomiting a few times a week, or how they can't groom the area right above their tail, etc.

But they are fucking indestructible as long as you don't give up on them. An indoor cat with regular checkups will easily break the 15 year mark without any major scares, probably 20 years.

I'm sure you cat will be fine. Just be sure to spoil the shit out of it, just in case. My last dog had cancer in his nose. He held out for about 5 months. The last 3, he had steak every night. Like a boss. He was only 9 years old with a breed-average lifespan of 11. Shit sucks. But I feel great about all the car rides, bedtime naps, and raw meet he got at the end of it.
>>
>>2244635
Source for these made up numbers?
>>
>>2244637

why do people demand source on common sense shit all the time? this aint exactly forbidden knowledge.
>>
OP you're great. i hope it plays out well for kitty.
>>
>>2244749
>this aint exactly forbidden knowledge.
Naw it's just shit people like you made up.
>>
>>2244749
>same as humans were designed for sub-20 lifespan
>>
>>2243377
OP, keep us updated on his diagnosis. I have a feeling he'll be just fine.
>>
>>2244749
Humans didn't drop dead at 20 in ancient times

The earliest they can reproduce is around 13 on average

That means they'd die when their first children turned seven

You think our species would survive if all parents died when their children were seven and the tribal elders were in their early twenties
>>
>>2244952

Average takes into account infant deaths which would outnumber elders living into their 60s. So the AVERAGE lifespan would likely be around 20 something. The MEDIAN age might be different.

>tl;dr, go back to 7th grade and learn averages.
>>
>>2244487
Oh god anon I hate you so much right now. Not even OP and that still hurts
>>
>>2245126
>arguing semantics
>ignoring context
>>>/lit/
>>
File: SPAGETT.jpg (89KB, 564x763px) Image search: [Google]
SPAGETT.jpg
89KB, 564x763px
>>2243377
>>turns out to be best fucking cat ever
>>cuddles all day erry day, loves pets, purr machine

Even if it's not okay, just remind yourself you helped that poor cat, when no one else would! You made the last days of its life mean something. You did good my dude
>>
>>2244952
>Humans didn't drop dead at 20 in ancient times
until recently the average lifespan was was about 21.

once you passed that it was a lot higher.
>>
>>2244635
>humans were designed for sub-20 lifespan
See this is what happens when you get your data from memes.
>>
>>2245207
Keep in mind that most data regarding "average lifespan" takes into account infant mortality and doesn't have anything to do with life expectancy of adults. Third world babies dying in droves throws the curve.
>>
>>2245207
That's not what I was talking about

Anon said human bodies were not designed to live past 20

That's not true, even in ancient times children dying during child birth or before their fifth birthday threw off the curve

It's not like humans suddenly all died at 20
>>
>>2245685
Sorry, I meant DOESN'T take into account infant mortality. As in, all those dead babies bring the "average lifespan" down.
>>
File: dog_baw.jpg (658KB, 366x8000px) Image search: [Google]
dog_baw.jpg
658KB, 366x8000px
>>2243377
lol op's faggot cat got cancer xD
>>
>>2245736
Dammit anon! I'm at work, I can't be getting these feels
>>
>>2244487
>>2245736
Well fuck.
>>
>>2243474
So is there any update OP? Or is this thread /lifespan argument general/ now?
>>
>>2246616

You fell for the meme. Animals don't actually exist, you dip. I can't believe there are people who still don't know this.
>>
Eat the cat
>>
Well done op we got an old stray cat too and couldn't be happier
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.