[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No sticky on the death of the Great Barrier Reef? 25 mill. y

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: Great-Barrier-Reef-bleaching.jpg (130KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Great-Barrier-Reef-bleaching.jpg
130KB, 1000x750px
No sticky on the death of the Great Barrier Reef? 25 mill. years down the shitter.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/14/the-great-barrier-reef-is-dead-at-25-million-years-old/
>>
rip in peace.
>>
>>2242377
Fuck I haven't seen it. Is it all white and bleak like that now?
>>
File: 6939384773_3f095e5851.jpg (69KB, 480x330px) Image search: [Google]
6939384773_3f095e5851.jpg
69KB, 480x330px
Zooxanthellae lives matter.
>>
>>2242392
The one on top right looks like a horseshoe crab.
>>
>>2242387

some of it is, some is still alive
>>
It's not dead. It's dying, but it has been for many years.
>>
>>2242377
>25 mill. years down the shitter.

I don't understand. The climate has fluctuated much more than this in the last 25 million years. My recollection is that the polar caps were thawed before then. That's nearly halfway back to the KT boundary.
>>
Does the Fukushima disaster have something to do with this?
>>
>>2242416
this is unlikely the first time that parts of it died off.
>>
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/14/us/barrier-reef-obit-trnd/
IT'S NOT DEAD YOU DUMB FUCKS
IT'S JUST CLICKBAIT THAT GOT OUT OF CONTROL
>>
>>2242435
This is why I hate modern journos.
Journalists back in the day didn't do retarded clickbait like this.
>>
>>2242439
Where did this even come from originally? I've not seen any serious paper or report on this exact situation.
>>
It will be dead if these dickhead cunts keep trying to mine and build ports near it
>>
>>2242440
Some guy (food and travel journalist) wrote it in an article for dramatic effect.
http://www.snopes.com/scientists-pronounce-great-barrier-reef-dead/
>>
>>2242418
No, it's that near japan.
Also it's due to water temperature.
>>
>>2242441
But how will East Asia get Australia coal?
>>
>>2242457
Fuck em. we should take care of ourselves for a change
>>
>>2242377
Holy fuck. Can't it recover?
>>
>>2242448
"journalism"

I'm a scientist as well, can I now pronounce the great barrier reef as mysteriously resurrected again?
>>
File: garbage_cc.jpg (180KB, 1367x1692px) Image search: [Google]
garbage_cc.jpg
180KB, 1367x1692px
>new york post
>>
>>2242435
this
>>
It's not dead, but it's terminal.

The coral looks like it's been turned to stone or something.

How bleak.
>>
>>2242439
It's not modern journalism, it's tabloid journalism. The NY Post is just a tabloid and should be ignored when it claims something sensational. Here is the Washington Post's take on it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/04/20/and-then-we-wept-scientists-say-93-percent-of-the-great-barrier-reef-now-bleached/?utm_term=.7725abb4a1bb

Notice how they say that even though the reef is almost entirely bleached, it's in varying degrees, and bleached coral doesn't necessarily mean that the coral is dead yet. It explains what bleaching is, how it happens, and what it means for the corals when they bleach.

Good journalism still exists, just don't expect to find it in tabloids.
>>
>>2242439
>>2242543

Even in the scientific journals we are getting more and more biased and poor science being done because of the nature of how articles get picked and published into the big-name journals.

And then there is this spectacle in the statistics area with Bayesian statistics coming out and claiming to be better than frequentist statistics, arguing that frequentist stats are constantly being used incorrectly, creating tons of bias.

Also bleached corals are pretty much fucked.
>>
>>2242435
Thank you.
>>
>>2242543
>It's not modern journalism

This shit's been going on forever.

"Journalistic integrity" has never existed, and never will, except to dupe the rubes of the world into believing they aren't being lied to, or indoctrinated in some way.
>>
>>2243610
I posted something I considered proof of journalistic integrity (notwithstanding >>2243570 which I agree with) and you post conspiracy theory rants. Please do take your meds.
>>
>>2242430
this, also add pollution into the mix (not just climatic change), and youre bound for shit to happen. not surprised teebeeaytch
>>
>>2242530
its not all bleached dumbass, stop getting your news from facebook
>>
>>2243684
>Yellow journalism: The term was coined in the mid-1890s to characterize the sensational journalism that used some yellow ink in the circulation war between Joseph Pulitzer's New York World and William Randolph Hearst's New York Journal.

No reason to get upset, cupcake.

Shit goes back to the Sumerians, at least, and probably before them.
>>
>>2243789
If you would notice, tabloid journalism is today's yellow journalism. It is "sensational journalism" (your words, not mine) that does not focus on substance. There will always be sensational journalism, just like there will always be idiots like you on the internet. However, normal people don't let that get in the way of them enjoying topics of substance. Idiots like you look at one piece of it and think, "Yep, that must be how the whole thing works," which is why I so easily dismissed you in my previous post and will continue to do so.
>>
File: Its true anon.jpg (111KB, 400x587px) Image search: [Google]
Its true anon.jpg
111KB, 400x587px
>>2244131
Do you really think that the issue can be summed up with a single term, pumpkin?

It can't.

"Journalism" is, and has always been, nothing more than a corrupt means to push an agenda on as many people as possible. Always has been. Always will be.

Thanks to idiots, like you, it will never change.
>>
Nice so when can I go and collect decorative pieces for my living room?
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 543x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 543x960px
>>2242543
>Washington post
>good journalism
>>
>>2242416
yes but the climate has fluctuated GRADUALLY over the last 25 MYA. This "fluctuation" took place in 200 years which is no time at all
>>
>>2244191
.013 degrees isn't a huge fluctuation
>>
>>2244145
Chinese are already on it
>>
>>2244196
Well I sure as hell ain't going to let them take all of it
>>
>>2244194
.8 C in less than 150 years is pretty dramatic. CO2 is past 400 ppm and the amount of carbon polutants is fast rising. Carbonic acid and rising sea temperatures are going to be fatal to things like coral
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.