[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's out there, breed wise, in terms of large sized working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

What's out there, breed wise, in terms of large sized working dogs that haven't been ruined due to poor breeding practices?
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>2241633
Working line GSDs (try police breeders).
Malinois
Malamutes
>>
border collie, but that might be medium size
>>
>>2241899
I've heard even police/military are having a difficult time finding good working lines. It sucks but GSDs might be a write-off at this point. I've got one now, and while she's fairly decent(I adopted her, no doubt she's a BYB) that's just in respect to the rest of the bred. Hips are bad, but her temperament is great with no neurotic tendencies.

I'm definitely looking into the malamutes but I'm a little worried they look so similar to huskies they will also have some breeding problem due to popularity.

>>2241900
Definitely interested in a border collie for my next dog. But they have a popularity that makes me a little wary of the soundness of the breed.
>>
>>2241910
>I've heard even police/military are having a difficult time finding good working lines
Must be an American problem. We had no issues finding a solid dog in Australia, but we're most inured from showbreed bullshit here. We don't have a big enough dog industry for it to be a problem.

Malamutes are mostly fine so long as you avoid any that are marketed as giant malamutes. Malamutes are supposed to be about the same size as a GSD, but you see some that are as big as a fucking bear. That's because those dogs were bred for size first.
>>
>>2241899
>Working line GSDs
Even police GSDs will have serious problems. German lines have been getting fucked too. There are good GSDs but you will have to sort through all these breeders that have titles, import from Germany and sell dogs to police that still have poor confirmation.
>>
>>2241910
I've only ever owned border collies, all of mine lived 15+ years and had no health issues and lived up to their reputation, I don't think they suffer from many of the same issues as other dogs simply because they aren't tough looking
>>
I'd imagine most of the pointer breeds are pretty solid still. Everyone I know who has one uses it for work and they're not very popular outside of that
>>
>>2241633
There's a whole lot actually. What exactly are you looking for, what specializations?
>>
>>2242045
Companion dog for running medium/long distance. Also looking for something to guard my chickens/ducks from coyotes while I'm at work/asleep(looking at great pyrs for this one).
>>
>>2242054
practically any dog can run, why do you need a working breed?
>>
>>2242055
That's why I said companion dog for running. I'm looking for a working breed for guarding livestock and my property.
>>
>>2241633
Aren't Pitbulls the most agile and dependable dogs? They're also the strongest pound for pound, they've been known to beat lions and bears.
>>
>large sized
>working dog
>for running medium/long distance
>something to guard my chickens/ducks from coyotes
My diagnosis is Irish Wolfhound.
>>
>>2242071
you memeing brah?
>>
>>2242071
Pit bull shill get out.
>>
>>2242054
>Companion dog for running medium/long distance.
Whippet, Border Collie, Husky, Lab, Setters or Pointers, or basically any dog.

>Also looking for something to guard my chickens/ducks from coyotes while I'm at work/asleep(looking at great pyrs for this one).
Great Pyr, Pyrenean Mastiff, Kangal, Boerboel, Caucasian Shepherd Dog, Central Asian Ovcharka, Tibetan Mastiff, Leonberger, Dogo Argentino, Carpathian Shepherd Dog, Sennenhunds, Tornjak.
>>
>>2242082
Nah. Those dogs are larger than they used to be, also they have shorter lifespans.

>>2241633
Anatolians/kangals
>>
>>2242042
German shorthaired and wirehaired pointers are now mostly couch dogs
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.