[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start picking up falconry? I'm nowhere near capable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: rth.jpg (56KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
rth.jpg
56KB, 750x500px
How do I start picking up falconry?

I'm nowhere near capable of owning a falcon at the moment, still in university and whatnot, but it's something I've been interested in and I'd like to know what I can do to start.

I work at a nature center, so I already have experience with a lot of exotic animals, but never falcons.
I'll likely start an apprenticeship after uni, but if there's anything I can do before, just tell me.

Also, I live in South Florida (About an hour north of Miami, if that helps suggest breeds/places to get started)
>>
You at FIU? Or MDC? I don't know much about falconry either, but I've always thought Kestrels were dope.
>>
>>2241027
FAU, I'm the same guy from the fossil thread.
I just like birda a lot, but have always thought falcons were awesome.
>>
>>2240986
Different states have different regulations, I think. When I looked into falconry in Washington state, twenty or so years ago, you had to get a license and then apprentice under a licensed falconer for X number of years before you could get your own bird. Different regulations for different species. Some I think you were only allowed to keep seasonally! Seemed incredibly complicated. Find a club or something to join.

http://floridafalconry.com/
>>
>>2241174
That's what I read, I was thinking there might be someone with experience here. Thanks for the link, I kept finding wyoming and illinois falconry stuff!
>>
I was in Doha, Quatar in the Market area and there was a Shop that sold Falcons . Prices started at 30k$ up to over a Million. No idea about how to start but be aware you need old/oil money for that.
>>
>>2241396
Uh, from what I know, they're generally 1-2k$ for the more common owls and hawks. Maybe it was the Qatari currency?
>>
Keep in mind you'll need an absolute fuckload of free time constantly.

>>2241396
Not how it works in the US, you catch your own legally.
>>
1. Join one of your state falconry organizations.
2. Start looking for a sponsor.
3. Start looking for flaconers that will let you join them on a hunt.
4. Find a study guide for your state exam, and start studying.

Once you find a sponsor, they'll take you under their wing, so to speak, about finding the equipment you need, building a a mews, and such.

It's a complicated process, but it should be in order to keep the idiots out.

Most sponsors recommend starting with a red tailed hawk, as they are a pretty forgiving first bird, and you can hunt the fuck out of rabbits or squirrels with them.

Good luck.
>>
File: 1463708448357.jpg (161KB, 596x381px) Image search: [Google]
1463708448357.jpg
161KB, 596x381px
Read this article. It has some useful information.
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2356-the-badass-life-modern-day-falconer.html
>>
>>2241396
You could probably buy human slaves for cheaper for that much in Qutar
>>
>>2241492
kek

>>2241457
Yeah, I understand that part, but one of the larger parts of why I made the thread was I wanted to know if there's anything I could do during uni/while I study and have no free time.

I absolutely agree on the complicated part-- it takes a lot of knowledge, dedication, and willpower, and it's not something that can be simply done on impulse.
>>
>>2240986
>I work at a nature center

How did you get hired? Sounds like something I would like to do but even with my biology degree I can't get in any place.
>>
>>2241866
If you volunteer a while, they'll often hire you if you do good.
>>
>>2241730
I just started volunteering at a bird of prey sanctuary here in central FL specifically to get hands-on experience for when I can get the process started to get my own bird. I'm pretty excited.

I luckily also have a close friends who has been a falconer for years who let's me work with his birds from time to time.
>>
File: k7sgrfu2ah7gtr.jpg (50KB, 565x722px) Image search: [Google]
k7sgrfu2ah7gtr.jpg
50KB, 565x722px
>>2240986

Please don't.
>>
>>2242337
Why not?
>>
>>2242221
That's awesome, any advice?
>>
>>2241492
They're probably more intelligent too.
>>
Depending on your state, it might be illegal
>>
File: 20161021_105544.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161021_105544.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>2243171
Besides study hard, and find somewhere you can responsibly spend a lot of time around the birds, nope. Don't cut corners. It takes years for a reason; they're not pets, they work with you based on trust.

I'd love to take the test, soon, but I don't feel I'm ready. So damn much to learn. If you can volunteer at a sanctuary, do so. I was walking into mews with birds in them within the first couple days. Its so cool being so close to them.

Pic is one of the bald eagles we have.
>>
I can give some in-depth info when I get a chance in the meantime check out modern apprentice website.

Now someone before mentioned about bird costs. It's expensive to get in monetary wise but really time is going to be the main cost. For the startup it's only going to cost roughly two thousand a little over. It's a lifestyle not a hobby.

And as far as working nature center goes volunteer do good and basically say yes to everything people don't want to do until you get a job. Once you work there for a year or so it opens a lot of pathways there's a lot of networking available once you do.

I'll be back later to talk more about falconry.
>>
>>2240986
Start by visiting your local kinohaus (cinema)
>>
>>2247523
Ayy
>>
>>2248082
>>2247523
How is that seriously relevant?
>>
>>2247463
That's the plan, I'm studying hard.
>>2247496
>yes to everything people don't want to do until you get a job.
Sorry, can you explain? English isn't my first language, and I'm not sure what you mean by that
>>2247523
>>2248183
I have no idea why.
>>
>>2249788
An example for say yes to everything people don't want you to do at a nature center. I started volunteering at a nature center doing mammal cleaning and one day somebody couldn't do the reptiles so I said I could do them. Then one day I said I could do the raptors when that person was out. I took that persons spot and then I was eventually hired to do programs if they asked if I wanted to. Just go above and beyond to stand out without being a know it all.
>>
>>2240986
It would be much easier to be a bird of prey rehabber. The only issue is the birds you keep are wild and have to be released. The only ones you can keep, you need to use for educational purposes (bring to schools and fairs and shit) and they are, for whatever reason, unable to go back to the wild.

You'd have to take some balls easy test, and once every 5 or so years go to a conference
>>
>>2240986

Are you in to hunting? If not, don't bother. A raptor is a hunter, as is a falconer, so if you aren't into hunting already, forget about it and just work at your nature center.
>>
>>2249808
Have you taken the test? Do you know what comes on it? I'm assuming it varies by state, but I'd prefer to go in well prepared.
>>
>>2249808
That's an option if I can find a place. Work work at an aquarium and taking care of reptiles help qualify me?

>>2249812
Haven't been hunting in a while (since I was little with my Grandpa) because my family hates guns; however, I have no qualms with hunting.
>>
>>2249927
Fuck, to remove my tripcode from another thread.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.