[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think chow chows look beautiful and I would like to have one,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: lxN6EJL.jpg (121KB, 880x650px) Image search: [Google]
lxN6EJL.jpg
121KB, 880x650px
I think chow chows look beautiful and I would like to have one, but I keep coming across horror stories about them. Have you ever had one? Talk to me about chows.
>>
>>2240787
i'm guessing the most horrific thing about them is their large amount of fur and skin
>>
>>2240787
Yeah I had one bitch, and her first heat wouldn't start although she was almost a year old. Then when it started at last other bitches in the park got angry for some reason, they were barking at her and she was very scared and then the leaves and the branches on the ground just began moving and the park lamps started flickering and turned off. Things like that happened whenever she got nervous or scared. Fucking scary shit.
>>
You talking about their aggression issues? One of my in-laws has a mix and he straight up eats cats and other small animals alive. Great with kids, strangers, anyone who will pet him, just eats smaller creatures and they can't get him to stop.
>>
>>2240787
my gf had her face ripped open by a chow when she was a kid.

The owner kept telling her how friendly it was and when she went to pet it the dog lunged at her face.

They can be nice but their temperament can change very quickly.
>>
Only 'nice' one I knew was so ancient it looked like it'd crumble any minute.
>>
I had one when I was a wee lad but it liked to bark at anyone who wasn't family
>>
The thing about chows is that they appear so fluffy and cute, but are by no means friendly. This is why I think so many people get bit.

Every time I see a chow at my job, even if the owner says they're friendly, I read the dog. There has only been one that was okay with me (a stranger) petting him. And I think that had a lot to do with his owner putting him in a sit-stay beforehand.

They are not good with kids. They are a one person dog. Even with their "one person", they would rather lay at your feet than cuddle.

But like I said, they look incredibly adorable to most, and unfortunately, that is the main reason people get them. Then wonder why it ripped a child's/stranger's hand off.
>>
File: imagejpeg_3aug.jpg (152KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
imagejpeg_3aug.jpg
152KB, 1600x1200px
Mine is a great dog. He's playful, smart, listens well but doesn't like strangers. Even if he knows someone for 15-20mins he'll be fine with them for life. If a stranger tries to pet him or comes too close even, he'll almost definitely give them "a warning bite".

They have been guard dogs for thousands of years. I have seen lots that won't bite people but are still almost always weary of strangers.
>>
>>2240918
>Even if he knows someone for 15-20mins he'll be fine with them for life.

To me, that's a sign a doggo is really intelligent.
>>
>>2241059
a lot of the ancient breeds tend to be like that
>>
>>2240918
You fit your prong collar badly, anon.
>>
>>2240831
you had a witch bitch. or a bitchard.
>>
My family friends have owned exclusively chow mixes (literally will not get a dog if it doesn't have some blue on the tongue) and those dogs were all great with me and all of our friends even as young kids. That being said, they were so bad with unintroduced strangers that they were exclusively exercised in their yard. Unwalkable dogs that are great with their own family/friends. I loved all four of those dogs.
>>
You gotta train them or you will have a mess of a dog and chow chows naturally get attach to one owner maybe two so dont expect them to love your entire family or every stranger they meet.
>>
I just want to say I appreciate the honesty in this thread in pointing out both the strengths and the weaknesses of the breed and not having someone come rampaging in claiming IT'S THE OWNER NOT THE BREED and encouraging people to ignore good sense.

Anyway, had a chow. She was very catlike in her attitude and behavior. Would let you know when she wanted love, but if she wasn't in the mood then she'd give you the cold shoulder. Very VERY well behaved in terms of training. If she encountered someone on the street, she would try to avoid them at all possible. I had to physically prevent kids from running up to her because they want to hug the fluffy bear who really REALLY did not want to be hugged by strangers. Great dog if you were part of the core family unit, awful if you weren't. She would bark at guests for a few minutes before settling down and would always keep an eye on them. She's 16 now and had become way more mellow in her old age, but definitely a dog you have to socialize early and keep a close watch on when around new people.
>>
>>2241108
That looks like a martingale to me.
>>
They are smart dogs, which means they aren't easy to train. They need a reason to listen to you and respect has to be going both ways otherwise it won't work.

My grandma acquired a mix who wasn't AS bad, but was still very dog aggressive. However, he started with a REALLY hard life.

Used to be owned by my aunt who would put him in a trash bag and beat him if she caught him getting in the garbage (after not feeding him mind you). When we got that dog he would growl at everyone and everything.

I just remember my grandma standing over him with a ruler and wapping him on the nose everytime he growled at her and saying 'no' until he stopped. After that first day with her, she was very fair with the dog and never hit him again, and let me tell you, I have NEVER seen a dog jump to protect someone at the slightest threat as that dog protected her.

Now don't get me wrong, I am by no means endorsing hitting your dog. I think there are much better methods available now.

What I am trying to say is that of the many dog breeds, I think chows are up there among one of the most loyal and intelligent, but they require respect and trust from their owner in order to be able to give that loyalty. Tread carefully if you get a chow OP.
>>
>>2240787

Had a Chow/SharPei mix
She lived 13 years
Got her as a pup, she was the only of her litter to survive, the breeding was accidental
She was a dark grey/blueish
Hated, with a passion anyone but me
Lost a long time GF, got an ultimatum her or the dog, said goodbye to her, made the right choice
Did all the training, she had to wear a muzzle out in public, she would kill any animal she could get her teeth into, cats in the area learned to avoid my yard
She was a magnet for kids and women, they would get close, I would warn them, they would laugh, the hand would creep closer, oh don't worry I'm good with animals, the low growl and then she would lunge, sorry, but I warned you
She was clean, sweet, obedient an all around great companion
She almost never barked, only when the phone or doorbell rang
She has been gone for 3 years come November
Going to look at her picture and get misty eyed again
Her name was Cloud
>>
>>2242317

She sounds like a lovely pup and good on you for taking precautions to protect her from retards who can't control their actions. 10/10 would admire from a distance and respect her space
>>
Friend has a chow mix, he loves her but hates everyone else. Will gladly bite people that try to pet him.
>>
>>2242317
Post pics of Cloud pls.
>>
My aunt had a big old chow named Rajah, he lived to be 15 before he passed away from an apparent heart attack in his sleep.

He wasn't friendly, but he wasn't hostile either.

He loved my little dog a lot though, and they cuddled with each other whenever we visited. Also, when he licked him he would be lifted off the ground a little.
>>
>>2240787
what kind of pit bull is this?
>>
Chow ate through the glass window to try to eat the mailman
No more mail to the house...
>>
>>2243786
The furry Chinese kind.
>>
Guard dog material. Not fond of strangers, can be dangerous. Needs owners who know what they are doing.
>>
>>2243799
How would you prepare for chow ownership? I have experience with border collies and I've found training them to be a breeze.
>>
I've got a chow mix. He's really just a big, lovable doof. Never really gets aggressive, though you can push him and he'll snap. That line is pretty out there, though. He'll happily sit and let the neighborhood kids come up and pet him for hours. All that being said, he's mixed with a Great Pyrenees so most of the attitude probably comes from that side.
>>
>>2242317
>She was a magnet for kids and women, they would get close, I would warn them, they would laugh, the hand would creep closer, oh don't worry I'm good with animals, the low growl and then she would lunge, sorry, but I warned you

Based cloud.
>>
>>2243849
The Chow unfriendly disposition almost never gets passed onto mutt offspring in my experience - volunteered at a shelter one summer that had a whole bunch of chow mixes - mostly with german sheperds and goldens and none of them had that infamous chow disposition and were pretty much happy friendly dogs.
>>
File: 1443752431113.jpg (150KB, 852x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1443752431113.jpg
150KB, 852x1041px
>>224110it's not a prong collar

this >>2241496
>>
i had a scummy neighbor that had one chained in his front yard all the time

lovely dog

used to hang out with him for hours
>>
>>2240873

That's not aggression, it's prey-drive.
>>
>>2246520
is that crooked nose?
>>
>>2240918
*wary. It's not the same as being worn out.
>>
>>2243849
I want to see a picture of this beast!
>>
File: 20161018_084509.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_084509.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
Ours is a chow mutt. We always said lab cross, but several people who own flatcoat retrievers have told us that's what she looks like. She's got a scary chow voice which makes her a great guard dog. She's more early warning system than physical threat. I've only seen her nip twice, once at a junkie, once when her main human was playing rough with another person. VERY loyal to the person she chose (not her original owner, but she always knew she'd be his dog), trained physically by a house full of people, and very friendly to all, except junkies and kids. Kids she'll begrudgingly tolerate with a little growl , but bring a junkie around and she won't settle down.
Best dog ever! And I'm really not a dog person.
>>
>>2244476
I have two chow mutts we adopted from some bean lady from Mexico (used to live in a border town in AZ) and my boy Chompy is a big cute idiot though he can be mean to his less active (fixed) sister Mocha but I think it comes from my mom not taking them out enough with me away in college. they're usually great friendly doggos and never growl at anyone so long as I or my mom is around. they don't care for the electricity ppl though.
>>
>>2240873
>One of my in-laws has a mix and he straight up eats cats and other small animals alive.
>Great with kids, strangers, anyone who will pet him, just eats smaller creatures and they can't get him to stop.
He sounds mentally deranged.
>>
>>2247073
there are many breeds that have high prey drive and will kill small animals. Jack Russel Terriers, Akita, huskies, etc. Prey drive is separate from aggression. Doesn't mean the dog is deranged.
>>
>>2246672
cute doggo

you think it's a chow/flattie mix then?
>>
It sounds like this would be a good dog for anyone that lives alone, wanting a companion/guard dog. I think it's funny when people claim their dog would attack an intruder, when their dog eagerly greets strangers that enter the house all the time.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.