[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into? is there anything i can read that will be helpful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: insect collection.jpg (153KB, 1121x954px) Image search: [Google]
insect collection.jpg
153KB, 1121x954px
How do I into? is there anything i can read that will be helpful or do i just go out and learn with trial and error?

like idk where to even begin. I just pinned my first beetle but idk what kind of case to keep these things in, if i can make it myself?

share your collections
>>
>>2239972
Cases have been made from almost everything over the years.
If you get heavily into it, it would probably be more cost effective to build your own.
If you want pic related, you could re-purpose whatever glass you can find from old picture frames and such, build boxes with a cheap mitre saw and window trim from the local home improvement store.
>>
You don't want to into this, it's full of toxoplasmosis
>>
Kek. I remember trying this when I was a kid and I feel so fucking bad about it now. Especially because they would eventually fall apart because of my lack of Professionalism. I'll never forget that beautiful butterfly I caught just to fucking pin it to a block of foam. It fell apart.

What a waste of life.
>>
>>2239972
here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Borror-DeLongs-Introduction-Study-Insects/dp/0030968356
>>
>>2239972
Good cases are expensive. Proper mounting takes practice, practice, practice and requires you to know the correct mounting points and positions. Sometimes you'll have to decide between aesthetics and specimens being determinable. You should always label everything correctly.

Do you want to collect yourself (outside) or just order online and mount and display them?
>>
>>2240200
I want to collect them myself, I figure its a good hobby and it can't hurt to learn about local insects
>>
>>2240352
If you're just looking for /an/-related hobbies, consider fossil collecting, it's a lot easier.
>>
>>2240352
You have to do the learning before the collecting unfortunately. Not only because of legal reasons (collecting protected stuff) but also because it will help immensely in actually finding what you're looking for. Just going out and catching everything is not a very good method.

There are plenty of guides online surrounding all of this. In general you'll need:
-A *good* general net (Which will cost you upwards of $100) and possibly some more specialized ones depending on what you want to do. Light traps, other traps, sheets for canopy collecting and so on can come later
-Lots of smaller containers to hold stuff temporarily
-A killing jar (use ethyl acetate)
-fine tweezers (just get a dissecting set, it has lots of useful tools)
-insect pins of different sizes (00, 0, 1 and 2 are most useful, 4, 5 if you're in a tropical country)
-even more pins for positioning (I like to use glass head needles)
And everything else that you need for prepping and mounting but you probably know that.

Also you can dry stuff in a convection oven. 4 to 6 hours at 55 °C and then another week outside is perfectly fine for most stuff. Don't believe the 6 weeks to dry stuff meme.

And write down everything. And label it. Seriously. You'll be eternally grateful in 5 or 10 years.
>>
>>2240364
Good advice but hes gonna want something to try to deter pest from turning his specimens into fucking dust. Theres some stuff people use but apparently it causes cancer or something. I lost my entire collection due to neglect and I highly regret it.
>>
>>2240482
Never had that problem desu. I just buy good and (expensive) cases. Airtight. Nothing gets in.
>>
File: 1420899756829.jpg (57KB, 604x404px) Image search: [Google]
1420899756829.jpg
57KB, 604x404px
>>2240360
Depends where you live.

>mfw my whole area are quaternary sediments
>>
>>2240958
All mine are literally boring clams and snails in limestone. from the ice age. Unless you go to other locations for megafauna, but they're all protected.
>>
File: zoom.png (85KB, 387x194px) Image search: [Google]
zoom.png
85KB, 387x194px
>>2240971
>>2240958
You can get a lisence in a few places. I think you already saw mine, mud, but if there's amber near you you can collect both bugs and fossils.

Pic related, it's my stonefly in amber (my first "interesting" fossil)
>>
>>2240974
No, in Miami, there's just one fossil site and it's in a state park. You can not collect at all.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.