[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Play tug of war with dog >Let him win >Fucks off and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

>Play tug of war with dog
>Let him win
>Fucks off and chews on the toy
>Play fetch with doggo
>Toss ball
>Sometimes he sniffs around gives zero fucks about the ball
>Other times, runs off at a million miles after it
>Gets ball
>Fucks off away from me to chew on the ball

Is it possible to fix him and make him want to play games?
>>
"Games" should only be used to reward behavior you want to increase, so never play a game when your dog is doing bad behaviors.

Tug of war won't get better. Fucking off and chewing on the toy is the end of the game.

However, fetch does get better. Teach your doggo the "come" command, and command him to come after you throw the ball and he goes to get it. Then reward with treats if food motivated, or praise if otherwise motivated. Repeat often and daily, only after your doggo is doing desirable behaviors.
>>
>>2239970
Noted on tug.

Chewing on the tennis ball is too rewarding. He doesn't give two fucks about food or praise, so getting him to "come" after retrieving would be hard. All he wants to do is chew on the toy.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is a higher value treat?
>>
>>2239973
>He doesn't give two fucks about food or praise once he has the ball in his mouth and starts chewinf on it
Fixed for clarity. He is quite food motivated, but he has this obsession with chewing on his toys. He never plays with them... just fucks off and chews.
>>
>>2239973
"Come" is only mastered when the dog will do the command with distractions. Practice the "come" command in environments with low distractions at first. Like, where there is no food or toys around, maybe after a walk when he is a little tired. Then, slowly increase distractions - maybe have the TV on or something. Always reward with a treat or praise. Also, very important to note, if you're deciding to use treats, don't use giant treats or treats that will take some time to chew. Buy treats specifically for training, which should be very small; your dog should be able to gobble it up in an instant.

The other thing I would recommend with a dog that has reluctance in learning commands is clicker training. You can buy a clicker at almost any pet store. Pair the clicker with a treat by clicking the clicker, then giving the treat. Over and over again. Until he expects a treat when he hears the click from across the house. Then you can use the click as an expectation of a treat, so when he does a command, you can instantly reward him with the click instead of a treat.
>>
Also, cute doggo. Love Corgis.
>>
>>2239976
I actually do clicker train with him. You did give me a good idea to perhaps try to get a "come" indoors when he is chewing on a toy. Maybe that will help?

I have even tried to teach him retrieval with two identical toys. As soon as he gets the first toy, chewing is just way more rewarding than play. Its as if he doesnt care about playing, and just wants to play the game to get the object to chew?

I've never had a dog with his issues.
>>
>>2239980
Maybe you could start first by rewarding him when he stops chewing, slowly reducing the amount of chew time after retrieving a toy.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.