[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here work or volunteer at an animal shelter? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: doge.jpg (901KB, 1257x1920px) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
901KB, 1257x1920px
Anyone here work or volunteer at an animal shelter? I'm thinking about volunteering.
>>
>>2235336
Work and volunteered at a shelter. Volunteering isn't hard.
>>
>>2235336
I did for a while. I just feed the animals. It was fine.
>>
I did, then I moved onto "unofficial" work at a veterinary hospital. I guess it depends on who you are, but i absolutely loved it. Don't be put off if they start you with basic work for the first month or so, if you show them you know what your doing and care about your work, they'll move you up.
>>
The most I've done is volunteer at the PetSmart adoptions, I'd like to volunteer at a shelter though but my work schedule is so erratic and I'd hate to cancel on anything I sign up on.
>>
>>2235340
>>2235372
How did you start doing it?
>>
Did it, loved it. Worked with dogs. Since I was calm and patient and also in shape I'd get the dogs other people didn't want to handle. Big ones, rowdy ones, energetic ones, skittish ones.

That was one of the most rewarding times in my life. I'd gladly go back and plan to do so once I have time.
>>
File: Ryder.jpg (162KB, 1200x900px)
Ryder.jpg
162KB, 1200x900px
>>2235336
I currently volunteer at a pretty small shelter and love it. At mine they just ask for 4 hours each week (or 4 hours a month as a "floater") and a six month commitment, so it's not some really taxing job to be involved with. It may be different that most because we have no paid employees, but everyone does the same tasks. 80% of my shift is spent interacting (walking, playing, cuddling) with the dogs and the rest is maintenance stuff, so like cleaning, laundry, maybe assembling/breaking down kennels if need be, etc.

It's extremely rewarding. When we have dogs go from afraid of us and hiding in the corner of their kennel, to running to the door and dancing because their tail is wagging is so hard when we arrive, that's the best thing ever. The hardest thing is getting attached and then your pal gets adopted, but it's comforting to see them join a family that will totally adore them.

Pic related has been with us since June. Poor guy has no applications as of yet
>>
>>2236268
I started volunteering at my local 'big' (most well known) shelter young, I was probably 16. I did all the paperwork and I had to go to two classes to work with the cats, but from there I decided to volunteer at an off site location. The off sites were much, much smaller, they were closer to me, and usually it wasn't as busy so it was a good way to schmooze in.

When I turned 18 I applied for a job there. I didn't get an interview for 3 months, in fact I had forgotten about the damn job when they called. Being a worker and being a volunteer are two very, very different things. Working at a shelter is hard fucking work. You don't get to take a moment's rest. I didn't get to eat lunch most days. I'd have to hide just to piss. All that shit you didn't have to deal with as a volunteer is now your problem as a worker.
>>
>>2235336
Do it. Just be aware you'll see a lot of animals die.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.