[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /an/'s stance on using physical punishment on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: vgweow.jpg (110KB, 864x644px) Image search: [Google]
vgweow.jpg
110KB, 864x644px
What's /an/'s stance on using physical punishment on dogs or other animals?
>>
>>2234960
Much more effective than the positive reinforcement meme
>>
>>2235008
No god damnit.

Positive reinforcement should comprise of the majority of training for commands. Where positive punishment comes in is when a dog has matured and learns it NEEDS to follow those commands which it was taught. Positive punishment should not comprise of: punching, kicking, dicking or any other method which could cause injury to the animal.

As for positive only training, yes that's just a meme perpetuated by emotionally fragile people, ie faggots and women.

Don't beat your dog, use training collars which will cause discomfort which is immediately relieved upon following the command.
>>
>>2234960

I use it in the form of a quick pull on a choke chain after I know full well the dog understands what he should be doing.

Ie he needs to look at me if we come across other dogs or strangers while walking, after 500 times of giving him some steak to look at me the steak will become less frequent and if he disobeys the command he will get a pull on the chain. This should only be used if the dog knows full well what he should be doing and the timing is critical, he needs to yelp and after that the sound will be enough. Hitting your dog because you come home to ripped up carpet isnt productive and plain abusive.
>>
fine if you want to be a shit trainer with fearful animals

>>2235253
idiotic advice
>>
>>2234960
I suppose a light hit is acceptable if the adult dog is disobeying an essential command that could be needed in a life and death situation (aka not a trick to amuse you) and you know he knows the command very well and just isn't doing it.

But 9 times out of 10, it's some idiot that thinks severely beating his dog in sheer anger when he comes home to broken shit teaches the dog anything, so not very fond of it.
>>
>>2235264
>I'm a huge faggot and routinely stick dicks and other foreign objects in my ass
>>
>>2235293
>i can't pray the gay away so i beat my dog instead
>>
>>2235295
>I only see things in black and white so I equate a light correction to somebody being a dog beater
>>
>>2235313
causing an animal to cry out in pain is not a "light correction"

if you do this on purpose you are abusive
>>
>>2235315
>implying a light correction such as using a chokechain or any other corrective tool should cause an animal to cry out in pain when used correctly
>>
File: Princess Highground.png (731KB, 600x2644px) Image search: [Google]
Princess Highground.png
731KB, 600x2644px
>>2235315
Not him... But your a pussy.
>>
>>2235319
not implying anything
see>>2235253
>timing is critical, he needs to yelp and after that the sound will be enough
>>
>>2235337
Not him, and while I wouldn't take a correction that far myself it does depend on the dog. Some dogs blow you off and don't care, others yelp and piss themselves if you yell "NO" at them.
>>
>>2234960
Hitting for training is dumb. Punishment =/= hitting. That's what most pro and anti + reinforcement people don't understand, which is actually pretty funny. I'm not positive reinforcement only, you can really only do that with puppies and most of my training is on adult problem dogs.

Anyway, hitting can make the dog associate you with the punishment. They should associate the unfavorable behavior with the action. Otherwise they learn to avoid you, not necessarily the action.

Of course there are times people need to hit dog or even kill dogs
>>
>>2234960
It's the kind of thing that angry people think works when they let their emotions take control. The alternatives require thought and are therefore not worth the effort.
>>
>>2234960
>What's /an/'s stance on using physical punishment on dogs or other animals?

Define "physical punishment".
>>
A light bap on the nose is usually enough if they're caught in the trash or something.

Otherwise: positive reinforcement.
>>
>>2235445
do you know what works better than physically assaulting a dog for doing what dogs do?

[spoiler]not leaving trash around where it has access[/spoiler]
>>
/an/ in general hates corporal punishment. There however is always a thread at least once a month where someone mentions they beat their dog or they whine against anti-dominance people. I don't know if the pro-punishment people in those threads are /an/ users or crossposters.
>>
>>2235448
>physically assaulting a dog

Dogs have no problems with "physical assaults", because they use the same approach, and aren't pussies.

What dogs DO have a problem with is inconsistency, and getting "bit" despite showing signs of submission.

In the dog world, they are taught an escalation of force protocol as pups that goes 1)body language 2)vocalization 3)physical contact. Showing signs of submission is used to avoid escalations and violence in the pack, so when people use a harsh/painful form of physical contact despite the fact that the dog showed submission to body language and/or a vocalization, the dog gets confused as fuck, and that's when you start having relationship and behavior problems.

If your dog ignores body language and vocalizations and THEN gets a physical correction to change/stop a behavior, the dog won't have a problem with it at all if it sees you as a higher rank, as that's how it's done in the dog world. IF, however, you've fucked up and allowed your dog to view you as an equal, or a lower ranking member of the family, you better be prepared for the dog to call you out and respond to physical contact with physical contact of its own.

The bottom line is never pick a fight with a dog you can't win, and that means instead of trying to enforce your will with your version of a "bite", it's often times better to enforce your will with your brain through control of resources and access to the things your dog likes.
>>
I prefer psychological punishment. If my dog shits in the house I lock in the dark room for the night.
>>
>>2235464
humans aren't dogs and shouldn't act like them
>>
>>2235454
Sorting out an users from crossposters:
>an user
YOU GOTTA BE POSITIVE AND ONLY DO POSITIVE PUNISHMENT. EVERYTHING ELSE EVER IS ABUSE! POSITIVE MEANS HAPPY :DDDDDDDDD
>cross poster
I punish my dog within reason when the behavior displayed is highly-undesirable. I make use of operant conditioning--including both positive and negative punishment in my approach all while adjusting my approach to best suit my dogs predisposition.
>>
>>2235332
what's with /an/ and garbage, unfunny cartoons?
>>
>>2235487

>Americans aren't Germans and shouldn't act like them. Why bother trying to communicate with them in their own language, or adopting and practicing their culture.

You're a moron, and shouldn't be offering advice.
>>
>>2235505
>Why bother trying to communicate with them in their own language, or adopting and practicing their culture.

they don't want you to. Germans would very much rather Americans stay the fuck out.

In fact, many countries would rather Americans stay the fuck out. Isn't that a shocker to you, burger? :^)
>>
>>2235516
Sure, Achmed.

Sure.
>>
>>2234960
If my puppy pisses me off I go full hitler on that little fucker. He knows now that I am the bringer of all good things
>>
>>2235445
This
>>
>>2235505
>comparing human relations to human-dog relations

who's the moron here?
>>
Der be a bird mahn
>>
>>2234960
It might not be ideal but I can tolerate hitting a dog at the moment it does something wrong. What pisses me off is when people take their anger out on their dogs after the cause and which the dog has no hope of properly associating with the action.

The other day my Dad's dog ran away because they left the gate open. I drove over and went looking for him, eventually finding him a couple miles down the road sniffing around. Anyway, I get back and instead of being happy he's back they are pissed as hell, hit him and drag him to his bed. They were pissed with each other because they'd argued about being useless fucks who can't shut a gate and because it delayed them going out.

Anyway, yeah.
>>
>>2235660
You are, sunshine.
>>
>>2235660
>somebody is using a metaphor for the different communication styles between canines and primates
>I'm a fucking huge retard who also happens to eat bags of dicks so I can't comprehend a metaphor conveying different communications so they must be a moron
>>
>>2235811
shitty logic =/= metaphor
>>
>>2234960

I've physically punished my dog twice. Once when he chomped my hand instead of the toy I was holding, and once when he bit my leg trying to get me to play. Aside from that, I just keep him well exercised and go through his commands daily while we play, and I haven't had any trouble.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.