[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about popular pets and the flaws or difficulties

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: cute chickens.jpg (647KB, 931x1037px) Image search: [Google]
cute chickens.jpg
647KB, 931x1037px
Let's talk about popular pets and the flaws or difficulties that casuals and newbies don't know about them.

Everyone seems to think all small dogs are apartment friendly. That's not true. Corgis are very popular but they're a herding breed so they need a lot of exercise. Likewise, Beagles are very stubborj and are extremely loud. Yorkies and most other terriers have a high prey drive, are energetic, and love to dig. Pugs are cute but they have a lot of health problems due to their muzzle size and squashed eyes. Shiba Inu are very stubborn and aloof. People should research their breeds instead of getting something because they're cute.

Likewise, budgies need more work than just feeding them every two days and changing their water once a week. They need a lot of interaction and are not meant to be inside cages 24/7. They also work best in at least pairs.
>>
Siamese fighting fish (bettas) have a big personality in a little body. This isn't a flaw but I just wanted to say that newbies don't understand that these fish need several gallons in their tank, they shouldn't be housed in a vase or bowl. So many people get it wrong that it's cringeworthy.

That goes for all fish: the more gallons, the better
>>
>>2233491
I always thought fish had no personality until I met my friend's! Her goldfish tries to cuddle with her catfish and the catfish will sometimes swat him away with its paw. Most of her fish also rush to the top of their tanks when they see her (probably because they associate her with food but it's still cute)
>>
The space requirements for small mammals are always heavily underestimated. Bunnies for instance should really have at least a 4 sqm pen available to always have enough space to hop around. Keeping them in a cage and only letting them out for limited amounts of time is not a solution.

Their diets are also often awful. The pet store pellets and stuff are equivalent to junk food for humans. They will fatten up the animals and can cause teeth/organ issues.
>>
>>2233488
Speaking of apartment dogs, i have a 3 months old Labrador and he sleeps/rests on our balcony and we take him out to play, eat or poop every 2-3 hours. He got used to the schedule and never defecates on said balcony, even during the night, BUT he does pee all the time, how do i teach him not to do that? I know for a fact many live with their Labradors even indoors, so there must be a way
>>
>>2233930

3 month olds are toddlers. Of course they pee a lot.
>>
>>2233822
I had a sunfish several years ago. It would sleep on the side of the tank closest to me in a pit that it dug out of the gravel, I've had several fish do this. But on Christmas morning that year my dad came in to wake me up and as soon as he pulled the covers off, that particular fish sprang awake becoming the single angriest animal I have ever seen in person and tried to attack my dad through the glass.
>>
File: tmp_30178-IMG_06692093026499.jpg (251KB, 602x1067px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30178-IMG_06692093026499.jpg
251KB, 602x1067px
>>2233930
Same shit with a husky. She thinks the hallway is outside. I have to carry her or she will unload right outside my door.
>>
I'm disappointed this isn't a chicken thread
>>
>>2234203
pics? aremt sunfish huge
>>
File: 146547535372324.jpg (212KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
146547535372324.jpg
212KB, 600x400px
>>2235655
absolutely gigantic
>>
>>2235656
oh lol, i was thinking ocean sunfish, didnt know about this one

>>2235000
make one then?
>>
>>22334889
>Likewise, budgies need more work than just feeding them every two days and changing their water once a week. They need a lot of interaction and are not meant to be inside cages 24/7. They also work best in at least pairs.
Meh, I've had budgies and they are fine as one bird *as long* as there is always someone to be there.
>>
>>2233488
>Likewise, budgies need more work than just feeding them every two days and changing their water once a week.

Wait people dont change it everyday? Half of the food i buy for mine is thrown away because they havent eaten it.
>>
>>2233930
At three months old this is pretty common, he's just a pup and learning might take time for this sort of thing. Its a matter of conditioning, and considering its a Labrador it shouldn't take very long, they tend to pick up on things quickly.

I imagine he's still small enough to be picked up, when I was training my last dog whenever I caught him peeing where he shouldn't I simply picked him up (this will make them stop) and brought him outside where he could continue and praised him for doing so outside, it didn't take long for him to get the message. After a while he would stand near the door as a cue that he needed to pee.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.