[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Helping my dad put siding on his house >Taking a lunch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Tamias_minimus.jpg (92KB, 622x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tamias_minimus.jpg
92KB, 622x720px
>Helping my dad put siding on his house
>Taking a lunch break
>Watching the chipmunks running around and the chickadees at the feeder
>Start to wonder why chipmunks aren't domesticated to be pets like other rodents like hampsters, gerbils, rats and much etc.
>Wonder the same about chickadees which are about the same size of finches, might even be the same species.

How long of a process would it be to try and breed chipmunks and chickadees as pet?
Would there be a market for it?

Also wondered the same thing about Sunfish. They have very cichlid like markings and there might even me a market for them if they were breed down a bit.
>>
File: black_capped_chickadee_6.jpg (26KB, 425x306px) Image search: [Google]
black_capped_chickadee_6.jpg
26KB, 425x306px
>>2231115
chickadee for refrence
>>
>>2231115
>how long of a process
Insanely long, they need to be kept in captivity and have an insane amount of human socializing over a long period of time. They'll also need to have a curious and friendly disposition from the start.

>would there be a market
Yeah of course.

>sunfish
>can get insanely large and wide
>breeding down a fish that averages 550-2000lbs in weight

I guess you could but it's not likely.
>>
I've seen chipmunks for sale on pet stores. The problem with them and squirrels is that they're nuts. They be kept in tiny cages. They zip around very fast and near impossible to catch if they don't come back to you. At least with southern and northern flying squirrels they sleep a shit ton.

Chipmunks at my job at tame enough that they will jump onto me. But these are busy animals. They just want food. They naturally forage and run around everywhere even if they are well fed, and can be very, very destructive. Even gerbils are fast as fuck and have better things to do. You can handle them but they rather run around and explore. Theyre very hyper and active, like squirrels. I could only have 1 on 1 time with gerbils in a closed off bathroom otherwise I'd lose them. Even my sugar gliders glide around like nuts but at least if you hold out your hand they'll come back.

As for chickadees why even bother? Finches and Canaries known to be friendly, perching birds. Not every animal needs to be in the pet trade. There is plenty better options to chose from.
>>
>>2231124
I think he means fresh water sunfish, not mola mola/ocean sunfish. We call them sunnies. Theyre pretty common in lakes.
>>
>>2231128
I did yes.
>>
>>2231125
I'm so drunk and this has too many typos to correct.
Anyway for the squirrel family theyre just a pain in the ass. You're better off feeding wild ones. If like you they will come back. I never fed our chipmunks but I smoke behind our shed, which is also happens to be where our compost pile is. Once they stopped barking whenever I'd show up theyd just jump in my lap.
The crows and turkeys are pretty chill too but I've actually thrown stuff to the crows. I feel like snow white whenever I'm outside.
>>
>>2231124
>insanely long, they need to be kept in captivity and have an insane amount of human socializing over a long period of time. They'll also need to have a curious and friendly disposition from the start.
Chipmunks have curious disposition for sure. Just in the sort amount of time I was over there they were checking us out and basically running around near our feet.

Pipe dreams ofcourse but lets say I started with 5 sets of pairs that each breed a liter, after how many generations of breeding would it take for them to be "domesticated" given I socialized with them regularly.
>>
>>2231115
I have a pet Squirrel.

He fell out of my front yard's tree at around 2 weeks old. Never opened his eyes. Re hydrated him and now hes almost 10 weeks old and he has a huge out door setup but he clings to me alot.
>>
>>2231313
I kind of figured they'd be extremely social rodents but didn't have anything to go on.
Thanks for the information though
>>
>>2231170
>after how many generations of breeding would it take for them to be "domesticated" given I socialized with them regularly.

The answer: More generations than you will live through.
>>
>>2231495
Huh no. The problem would be to have a large enough population to avoid inbreeding and allow selection. Which in turn induces a fuckload of work and costs.
See the Russian foxes, it didn't take centuries to get significant results, just a shitton of foxes.
>>
>>2231508
I did not imply centuries. I simply said that anon will not live to see his work pay off.
>>
>>2231516
> In the sixth generation bred for tameness we had to add an even higher-scoring category. Members of Class IE, the "domesticated elite", are eager to establish human contact, whimpering to attract attention and sniffing and licking experimenters like dogs. They start displaying this kind of behavior before they are one month old. By the tenth generation, 18 percent of fox pups were elite; by the 20th, the figure had reached 35 percent. Today elite foxes make up 70 to 80 percent of our experimentally selected population.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Domesticated_Red_Fox

Not sure if chipmunks can breed in their first year but even if they can't, and assuming that they follow the same pattern as the commie foxes, we're looking at 10-15 years for significant results.

Now, caring for 500+ chipmunks and keeping track of their genetic tree and testing each new litter for selection is not a one-man job to say the least.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.