[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is it time to put a pet down, /an/? It's never easy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (74KB, 759x551px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 759x551px
When is it time to put a pet down, /an/?
It's never easy to deal with, but my dog's rear legs are starting to go and I know there will be the point where he regularly shits in the house because his muscles are weakening that much. What do you look for in quality vs longevity? I don't want the pup to suffer, but don't want to cheat him out of an enjoyable life. What do?
ITT: pets and feels
>>
>>2215618
I have one that's 18...mostly deaf, a
few teeth, and 85 percent blind due to old age. He's also senile imo.

He still gets around mostly ok except for stairs and darkness. He still lets us know when needs to go out.

I will have him put to sleep when he can no longer get around the house on his own or can't manage his bodily functions. I take him to the vet fairly regularly and other than his old age issues he's healthy and not in any pain. I just have to keep a close eye on him outside because he will get confused and blindly wander off. I know the day is coming when he will have to be put down and I dread it. I'll do it when it's time though. I think you will know the right time with your dog as well.
>>
>>2215618
I've had to put down 2 of my dogs over the years because of old age related hip dislocations. I live on a 38 acres so my dogs were inside outside dogs. Both hip dislocations with my dogs happened while they were outside and because of their size and dislocated hips I was unable to get them loaded comfortably into the car and get them to the vet. They couldn't walk or stand at all, would scream when I tried to move them. Omg, it was so sad and awful when it happened.

I had to put them down myself and it was horribly difficult for me. I should have had them put down before their rear hips completely gave way. There were obvious signs that it was getting ready to happen but I just deluded myself by thinking they had more time than they did. It was a traumatizing experience.

When it constantly hurts the dog to walk, stand, sit, bear weight, run, etc. it's time.
Another poster said you will know and it's true. It's hard, absolutely, it's really hard.
>>
>>2215677
>>2215629
Thanks lads. It really does help.
All the best
>>
I'd put it down whenever it wants to be back on the floor. You don't want to be holding an animal that wants to roam free throughout the house, anon.
>>
>>2215710
Thread
>>
>>2215618
Growing up I had an Old English Sheepdog that we put down recently. She was about 14 and had developed serious bone and joint issues. It's clear to see when it should happen because they'll be in pain very often. She had had joint issues for years and they weren't causing constant pain until that time, so the appearance of a few issues doesn't necessarily mean they're in serious pain. You should start thinking about euthanasia when it is clear that the animal is in pain to the point where it would be cruel to keep them alive. It's a hard decision to make, but remember that you're doing what's best for them at that point.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.