[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/ I'm pretty new to fish keeping as a hobby. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: danio-22.jpg (112KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
danio-22.jpg
112KB, 800x600px
Hey /an/

I'm pretty new to fish keeping as a hobby. I've got 5 Zebra Danios in a 20 Litre (4.4 Gallon) tank. I know tanks this size aren't recommended, especially for beginners but space and budget constraints meant that this is all I could get for now.

Should I even consider putting anymore fish in there now or would you guys think that it's pretty much stocked with the 5 danios? The guy at the pet shop said I could maybe get a few more danios and a paradise fish but given what I've read online I'm not sure that's a great idea.

Also, any other advice / wisdom / stories of mistakes you made as a beginner would be greatly appreciated.
>>
That's pretty overstocked. Danios are very energetic fish that are famous for zipping all over the aquarium. You should consider trading them for something that's alright with less space- a few male guppies or endlers would be much more comfortable in that tank. Definitely no more fish but you can try shrimp or snails. Shrimp are fun to watch.
>>
How many shrimp would you recommend? I'm pretty wary of asking the guy at the pet shop now given that he really pushed the danios on me even though they sold guppies too. There's no way they'll swap them at this stage so should I be looking out for a bigger tank second hand to give them more room or will they be fine as long as I don't add any more?
>>
>>2211648
I already replied you in the other thread, they grow up to 6cm and are better suited for an 80l tank. So don't get any more. Best bet is to rehome them or get a bigger tank as soon as possible. Ikea sells 110l transparent plastic boxes for 10 € in europe for example, if budget is currently an issue. Or watch out for used tanks on craigslist or a comparative site.

It would be easier to rehome them and if you want verts either put 3 endler guppy males, 1 betta or 1-2 african dwarf frogs in the tank. They stay way smaller and have a smaller bioload, causing less issues with your water parameters, which could lead to algae and ammonia/nitrite poisoning in your fish.

Inverts could be 10-30 shrimp (beginner species have no big bioload) and some smaller snails.

Using java moss, java fern, anubias and some easy stem plants would give you a way to buffer the inhabitant's waste and decorate the tank nicely.

Do regular water changes and dont overfeed.

My guess is that your current danios are juveniles and maybe 2-3cm long, so they don't feel crammed yet, which gives you some time to think what route you gonna take.

One of my blunders as a beginner was that I had 25 fully grown black skirt tetras in my 350l tank. I decided to cheap out when I wanted to add another school of 25 cardinal tetras and didnt buy the fully grown ones but small juveniles, not to mention that most of them ended up as pricey live food for my black skirts.

I read back then that black skirts are one of the most peaceful fish you can get...guess that's not always true...
>>
>>2211656
If it's not tightly covered they're going to jump out of the tank and die. Besides that they'll probably be fine though.

If they're small shrimp, 5-10 per gallon is usually okay. So basically as many as you want.
>>
>>2211659
Pretty much all fish will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths.

This is some great advice though, OP. Danios are cheap, I'd just rehome them.
>>
>>2211659

Cheers for the advice. I've read it can take between 4 months and a year for them to fully grow and that they rarely grow beyond 4cm in captivity. So hopefully by the time their size becomes an issue I'll be in a better position to buy a larger tank to transfer them into.

Thanks again
>>
>>2211648
That tank is a bit crowded. If you could return them I'd recommend a betta (though you can only have 1) or endler's livebearers, they're delightful fish!

I'm just wondering, did you go to a chain petstore? Sometimes chain store employees are knowledgeable, but usually they know fuck-all about any sort of animal (which isn't their fault, their intentions are good). They might tell you something and genuinely believe it's right, but they may be dead-wrong and then it's just unfortunate for everybody. So if you have any questions, perhaps go to a local fish shop and ask them, or stroll on down to >>2210700 /aq/ if you have anymore questions!

Also post tank pics, we all love seeing people's setups!
>>
>>2211648
>>2211693
Also, just make sure you're doing frequent water changes. For future reference, aqadvisor.com/ is a generally good resource to see if your tank is healthy or not!

~also also, I forgot to capitalize my trip and it was really getting on my nerves, ok I'm leaving now~
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.