[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /an/, I just got a plumed basilisk any tips? Also, it has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

So /an/, I just got a plumed basilisk

any tips?

Also, it has a bulge on its throat but the reptile shop lady told me that it's a cricket bite and that if it doesn't deflate in a few days she will treat him with some antibiotical cream

He's quite small right now so I keep him in a medium screen enclosure, he has a decent pool and I managed to get a bowl stuck in between the branches, so that he can eat while he's on the high side of the enclosure

I got him yesterday, this morning he climbed and managed to reach the basking spot but then I measured the temperature with a temp gun and he got scared and fleed to the bottom of the tank

will he climb back on top or will he remain there until tomorrow?
>>
pic of the bulge in case any of you can tell me what that is
>>
Have some curse stones ready.
>>
any help? please?
>>
guys
>>
>>2211500
>bumping every half hour

Bitch calm down this is /an/
>>
Don't look into its eyes lest ye be turned to stone
>>
Kill it and mine it, it gives you leystone ore and sometimes a quest item
>>
Stop bumping your thread idiot. Nowadays 4chan even tells you what page you are on and we have a catalog view, you can bump when you are on page 10
>>
Don't bug him for a week aside from tank maintenance. He'll be fine. Don't worry if he doesn't eat for a few days.
>>
>>2211556
what about drinking? and besides, does he drink from the pool or does he lick the leaves when I mist the cage?
>>
>>2211548
>>2211508

I bumped because the only guy who answered posted le funny maymay about him being a basilisk
you know
the basilisk
the big ass cocksnake which turns people into stones

isn't it funny
basilisk
crazy
like the mythological beast

ahah!
>>
>>2211597
All of this is stuff you should have informed yourself about BEFORE getting one.
>>
>>2211670
This. A basilisk is not a beginner appropriate reptile in the first place. They aren't especially resilient to keeper husbandry screwups. Not to say that it can't be done; any beginner can keep an intermediate care difficulty reptile so long as they do a lot of research and are well aware of how to avoid rookie mistakes. They won't do well with the typical newbie stuff like not monitoring humidity, using the wrong substrate, not gutloading feeder insects, feeding the wrong type and size insects, wrong size tank and so on.
>>
>>2211694
>>2211670
guys
I'm no beginner
this is my fifth reptile, I've been keeping them for over a year, they're all fine and NOBODY ever said I don't monitor humidity, use wrong substrate and don't gutload
and I obviously gathered information before getting one,
In fact I don't recall asking you HOW TO KEEP HIM

fucking assholes, I am OBVIOUSLY worried because I know that this is the first intermediate reptile I got, but don't mistake my being worried for inexperience
>>
>>2211670
besides, I have found no caresheet paragraph about basilisks and drinking, that's why I was asking
>>
>>2211715
Sorry anon. You write like a teenager. It is easy to draw assumptions.

Yes they drink mist droplets and they will soak in their water dish.
>>
>>2211715
you ask a lot of dumb questions for someone who isn't a beginner.
>>
>>2211758
cool to know, I supposed so, thank you for clarifying that
Also I write like a teenager because english is not my first language

>>2211762
You know, maybe instead of making assumptions you should consider the possibility that I'm asking in order to get tips and avoid mistakes, not because I'm an ignorant fuck
>>
>>2211763
Fine, but those are the kind of questions you research before getting a pet.
>>
>>2211771
what questions are you referring to exactly? Most of them were about behavior, not about keeping
the only one was about water, but the basilisk has the dish AND it gets misted, so I was just wondering which of the two things get him hydrated
>>
OP,
Most basilisks in captivity are wc, as i'm sure you know. If yours is, or you don't know, obviously a vet check-up is a priority.

For caging, depending on the enclosure size, a filtered water section would definitely be a plus, though, for ease of maintenance, i'd go with a deep substrate and big bin (filtered still) rising slightly above it. Pothos is a nice addition to a water area, and is super easy to grow - just light and water. I'd have a lot of it instead of most fake plants in the cage. Also, I've had good experiences with a large basking log only open towards the cage front, and surrounded otherwise with plants. Not sure of the viabiility of this w/ a basilisk, but look into bioactive substrates - they works great with a lot of large lizards.

Also recommend a BIG superworm colony if you don't have one (or dubia roaches et al).
>>
>>2212025
He is a baby and it's a cb, fortunately
I also have already provided a Pothos

I have dubias and his substrate is coconut fiber as to keep humidityat acceptable levels

The only issue it seems to have is that he completely ignores water at the moment, he tend to spend his time in the lower part of the enclosure, clinging to a big chunk of wood
His water dish is quite large and I placed it on top of said wood, but I'm planning on getting something to fill with water and place it on the substrate so that he can have a shallow water dish and a little pool to soak completely
>>
>>2212208
I have no idea if this even works with basilisks or how shy yours is but the one thing that always got even my most problematic lizards to drink was doing it manually with a glass pipette.

Just hold it in front of him and slowly let it drip out, if they're thirsty the'yll eventually come to you and start drinking, at that point you can give them the rest of the water in the pipette relatively quickly. You have to do this as often as they are still interested and it can be quite time consuming but they'll learn to recognize it and it will get easier.
>>
>>2212215
good idea, I'll definitely try it
>>
>>2212215
Yep that's viperkeeper's water delivering method for stubborn sneks. He uses the squirt bottles with the bendy top bit you find in science labs.
>>
File: Basiliskeyes.jpg (32KB, 418x345px) Image search: [Google]
Basiliskeyes.jpg
32KB, 418x345px
>>2211472
You think that'll save you?
You are never ready.
>>
how the fuck does a cricket bite someone
>>
Wow, this morning he ate all of the crickets I put in his bowl
Quick guy
>>
File: CricketFaces20071220.jpg (114KB, 800x454px) Image search: [Google]
CricketFaces20071220.jpg
114KB, 800x454px
>>2212558
>>
>>2213207
hellish fucking beasts
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.