[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good activities for a high energy breed aside from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

What are some good activities for a high energy breed aside from hiking, walks and dog parks? Specifically for along the hound/baying dogs line. I have some experience with border collies and Ive seen ton of corgis, heelers and cattle dogs as more family dogs then working ones but not hounds and curs.

Pic related but I don't have one. I have a yard and a close friend and neighbor right by me with some acres but they aren't hunting nor have livestock yet either while they add onto their house.
>>
>>2210779
mushing is pretty cool and your dog will probably love it:
https://youtu.be/QNQmWSmAFPo

you can just use a mountainbike for it, no need to get a scooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikejoring

make sure you inform yourself before you start tho (like with any high intensity dog sport)
>>
File: Siberian_Husky_with_Blue_Eyes.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Siberian_Husky_with_Blue_Eyes.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
>>2210802
>>2210802
here is an introduction:
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1118

specifically wrt breed / physical appearance:
>The perfect physique for pulling is that of the Siberian husky and the Alaskan malamute. [...] The closer the dog looks to the picture the better

not sure about hounds, as they were bred for sprinting speed without having to pull weight. So you should probably go easy on him
>>
>>2210802
Yeah that looks fun. I ride a bike an average 10-15 miles a day. My concern would be the dog stopping when I need it too but thats normal anyway if you're riding a bike even with a dog at your side and not getting distracted by an animal to want to bolt after it. (My own dog used too, but these dogs are more high energy and bred as trackers/baying so I want to prepare for the worst of it). Im sure I can find more info though so thanks for the suggestion.

I'm also interested in seeing about finding programs or classes for search and rescues. I'd like to be able to put that nose to use. Seems like even tracking for fun would be good.
>>
>>2210810
>Seems like even tracking for fun would be good.
certainly fun, but not much physical exercise. also relatively high amount of preparation necessary (someone always needs to lay the track first). but dogs probably love using their nose like this
>>
>>2210813
Yeah I dont expect to go out and find missing children. But maybe just laying some things down one day on a trail, go back the next day, etc. Something a little more to add to a walk or hike. My other friend hunts and Ive tagged along before so it's entirely possible for us to see about tracking wounded deer.
>>
>>2210809
I really want to do this with my dog, but I have given up hope that he could ever be a non reactive spaz. He is a total natural, but I cannot get him to not chase squirrels, react to other dogs, and bark badly at loud engines.

Alas. I have worked with tons of trainers, and I don't feel the need to blow his head off with an e-stim collar.
>>
Bump for more ideas and maybe some help with the other anon who posted above.

Would also like to hear some people with hound and related breeds than just beagles in general if possible on the light chance. Forums and whatnot dedicated to them are mostly deep I'm hunting and own farms(not a bad thing) but if I am to get this breed I want to do it right. I lean more to an adoptable one or mix rather than a breeder since breeders really go for producing the best working dogs. The more high energy these dogs are the better for them. I don't feel comfortable not having my own acres so if I have to wait to be able to adopt then I will.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (1MB, 2988x3304px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
1MB, 2988x3304px
>>2211092

I have a hound mix, but unfortunately his mix is amstaff/basset. The basset comes across really strong in his temperament. So I am not sure if my experience is entirely good to share. About all I can say is training scent hounds is as bad as everyone says it is.
>>
>>2211124
It's fine. It's very possible I will have an adopted one or a mix. We have an ancient beagle ourselves. About 15 now, if not a little older. Never was a problem, always friendly and happy to see people but for as long as I can remember she was just never an issue and preferred to just sleep. Just a dog that was 'there'. Had little interest in toys, walks, sniffing things out, etc even as puppy. She lives walks but they are very short because she rather go home and sleep. Up to date on shots, have sought vet advice for what she thought was over sleeping, etc but nah. She isn't even fat. If anything ive been a little annoyed she wasn't active. She was adopted so I assume she may be from a byb, or from a line more as a house pet more than a working dog. It wasn't my choice to get her so long ago but I was pretty disappointed that she not only did not require what I expected but didn't live up to what I tried to prepare for once this dog suddenly came into our family when I was young.

From what I've heard catahoula curs are bred for temperaments and working rather than color or standard. Seeing such differences between 'curs' it really does look like these dogs are always, if not mostly produced for working. Collies, herding dogs, etc have lines to be in homes with effort. I have a lot of time, I am very active, I have dealt with very energic dogs but I've never encountered a breed so 'into' their roots so that's what makes me wary. So much that breeders are unwilling to let most of their dogs go unless they can hunt and herd, with only the occasional dog they feel 'suited' to a more family life. I trust them and even if it's a $400 dog the last thing I want to do is get one and am not prepared. I've been thinking about this for about five years now. If I have to continue to wait even for a mix then I will. In the meantime of I can't provide the 24/7 acres and hinting/baying then I hope to find more activities other than just walking and hiking.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.