[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /an/, I'm getting my first dog soon, and I'm wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (2MB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 400x247px
So /an/, I'm getting my first dog soon, and I'm wondering what I should feed him. There is a lot of different advice on the internet, and I'm looking for your opinions.

At this point, my plan is to follow my gut feelings, and feed my dog as closely as possible to what he would be eating in nature, and that is, raw foods, mostly meat (beef, chicken necks, etc) and some liver, maybe some other organs too, all human grade. I'll also give him some bones and petshop chewables for his teeth. I want him to be very healthy and to live a long time, with as few medical bills as possible. Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.
>>
Maybe you're overthinking this. I've raised over a dozen dogs on mostly dog food and they've all lived long, healthy lives. Just don't get a dog from a puppy mill, obviously.

Be careful what type of bones/chews you give him. Some dogs try to swallow rawhide and that's bad for them.
>>
>>2210730
Well I figure I may as well go all out and feed him as best I can, since it's still going to be relatively cheap.

Nice to know that about rawhide. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
>>
>>2210730
If you actually look at the ingredients though, most dog foods are complete shit. At least on a natural diet you know what your dog is getting is good for him.
>>
>>2210739
>At least on a natural diet you know what your dog is getting is good for him
why do YOU know that? why do you personally know that unless you've specifically worked in animal nutrition?

OP, this raw feeding meme has been going on for a long time, but here's the thing: there's more to dog nutrition than "your gut feeling". dogs need vitamins and minerals that aren't found in high quantities in meat.

also, if you're thinking raw feeding is going to be "relatively cheap", you're not doing it right.

in addition, raw feeding doesn't protect against parasites and bacteria, so if you're looking for "as few medical bills as possible", you're barking up the wrong tree. feeding raw can also increase the risk of YOU getting sick from handling your dog's feces or allowing him to lick you.

look for a brand like "instinct" that has both dry, wet, and raw dog foods. you can buy them in tubes from a refrigerator in addition to their wet or dry dog food. they're far more nutritionally suited to your dog than just you slapping a raw liver on the floor and calling it a day for your dog's meal.
>>
>>2210747
What other alternatives do I have for those necessary vitamins and minerals if I want to prepare the food myself?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.