[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What types of pets do you want to keep in your life? Do you stick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 12

File: 1472509187633.jpg (61KB, 591x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472509187633.jpg
61KB, 591x720px
What types of pets do you want to keep in your life? Do you stick to only one type like dogs or snakes or do you want many?

Personally, I am most drawn to rats and dogs but I want to keep different types. Let's say I keep pets until my mid 80s, I have several decades worth being able to keep animals. Most pet animals don't last over 2 decades after all. I want at least one corn snake, two ferrets, two Budgies, maybe an iguana, some pigeons, maybe a guinea pig, and a cat by the time I'm a senior. I also want some barn animals like horses and goats but that largely depends on whether I move out of the city one day.
>>
I have cats and dogs right now. They are all shelter mutts/moggies, so one day I would like to see what it is like to own a purebred animal. I am thinking I would get a Maine coon and a German Shepherd (working line ofc) next. I have also only ever gotten adult animals, so raising one from a kitten or puppy would be a new experience for me as well.

As for other animals, I'd like a bird, lizard, and an aquarium one day too. I'd lik3 to see what it is like keeping and taking care of these guys.
>>
I have a dog and two rats. The rats are very old and after they pass I'm not sure if I'll get more. I'd like a second dog eventually.
>>
>>2209822
I like different kinds of pets
but I can't imagine myself having a cat, bird or rodent of any kind as a pet
>>
>>2209822
If I lived on my own, I would opt for two hamsters with souped up cages.

Cats and Dogs are good for early stages (12-18) and older stages (40+).

Hamsters are chill and cute as fuck and are easy to maintain.

You can also train them to some extent.
>>
I love everything (well.. I'm starting to come around on spiders).

currently I have dogs, cats, rats, aquariums, and chickens. I have owned Guinea pigs, hamsters, goats, and a scorpion.

Got a free 10 gallon tank and thinking about getting a spider or scorpion to help me get over my fear.

I would love to have a snake and/or bearded dragon.
>>
>>2209822
Right now i have only two dogs. But i used to have pidgeons, chickens and pigmy goats as pets
>>
I've kept (and bred) lots of mantids, some rather rare ones too, chameleons, day geckos, flower beetles, Phasmids, scorpions, millipedes, fresh water fish and axolotls.
Currently I have a bunch of centipedes and a pair of whip spiders, both of which I want to get more of.

The problem is I feel like an ass if I just keep them and give them no chance to reproduce so I at least try to breed all of my pets and then usually sell the offspring when I want to get something new. Don't ask why, I just feel like I'm robbing them of an important part of their life.

This really puts a limit on what I get though, as breeding can get quite expensive.

I still eventually want to get (in order of decreasing likeliness):
Any Metallyticus (gonna get some on saturday)

Euphrynichus amanica and other whip spiders (maybe also saturday)

Scolopendra hardwickei

I still want to get into tarantulas, especially arboreal ones but I know that once I start this is gonna get very expensive very quickly
Some of the more freaky phasmids/katydids

A really nice not so nano, nano aquarium or several with dwarf shrimp

A whole lot of stag beetles

Poison dart frogs
Ball pythons or other smaller pythons like rainbow boas

and here is where it starts to get really unlikely:
Any Crysina, Euchroma gigantea or a monitor lizard.
>>
File: IMG_20160723_170621.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160723_170621.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2209912
I was always fascinated by katydids, but never really found anything on care or good beginner species, just phasmids. Is there a species you'd rec, that doesn't look too plain?

As a kid I had lots of pets. German Shep, St. Bernard, a cat, a budgie, a red eared slider turtle, a shetland pony, a dwarf hamster,a syrian hamster, a guinea pig and a dwarf rabbit, aswell as fish, newts and african dwarf frogs.

Atm I only have 2 smaller tanks, one 3 gallon and a 13.5 gallon where I keep dwarf shrimp, dwarf frogs, small fish and snails, both heavily planted and cool to look at, since I like aquascaping.

In terms of pets I'd wish to keep, I'd like to have a dog again, but I live in a small city appartement, so less likely, before I eventually get a bigger appartment with a yard. I either tend towards a pembroke corgi or a simple labrador retriever, but would take anything that's not super hard to train and demanding.

Poison dart frogs and newts are also on my list, especially auratus frogs and some pleurodeles waltl newts, but I'd rather take my time and make sure I can provide proper care.

Pic is my 13.5 gallon tank.
>>
>>2209934
Ancylecha fenestrata looks pretty cool and doesn't need anything special. A bit over room temperature, high-ish humidity and a constant food supply and they're happy. They readily eat blackberry, rose leaves, oak and so on. Basically anything not poisonous.
They lay their eggs directly into leaves, Epipremnum or ivy (not poison ivy, the regular one) works well.

Dwarf shrimp are definitely pretty near the top of my list actually, I always see these extremely cool looking aquascaped tanks and want one for myself. What tank size would you recommend and how many dwarf shrimp can I put in? I've had a freshwater tank before but nothing small and I know those are more difficult.

Also this shop was recommended to me, they have quite a few species, any recommendations?
http://www.garnelenhaus.de/wirbellose/garnelen:::148_151.html
>>
File: 1467951076912.jpg (48KB, 428x413px) Image search: [Google]
1467951076912.jpg
48KB, 428x413px
>>2210028
God damn it I shouldn't have started researching this. Now I'm seriously considering not getting those Metallyticus voilaceus I wanted and saving for some dwarf shrimps instead.
>>
want a boxer or doberman but cant have one because live with parents and they had another baby recently. am stuck with the most awkward spaniel. at least it isnt a chihuahua now thatd be embarrassing
>>
>>2210028
Cool thanks for the advice. You german aswell? Garnelio.de would be my go to online shop, since they often have crazy sales, like 0.99€ for a tiger shrimp, but If I were you, I'd start out with basic cherry shrimp, white pearl shrimp, babaulti shrimp or yellow fire shrimp, all, with the exception of the babaulti are from the same genus and are not only very colourful and hardy, but very cheap, compared to other breeds (you can get cherry shrimp for 0, 50 € per shrimp if you buy from a local breeder in bulk, compared to let's say 4, 00 € for a higher grade blue dream shrimp)

Lupdiesel has a video on cherry shrimp care which really covers everything you can imagine, so start your research from there: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cFMDt2EOm7A

You can even keep shrimp in a 12l which I recently set up (see pic) but I would recommend starting with a 30 or even 60l, since you have more water to buffer.

Shrimp have no real bioload, so you could start with 40 shrimp in a 30l and go from there.

On a sidenote, get all your stuff from ebay-kleinanzeigen. Even the shrimp. You can make amazing bargains there. I just recently had a guy that sold 100 mixed cherries and babaultis for 0, 45 per shrimp, so I bought for a friend and myself. If you need help with setting up a tank, hit me via whatsapp if you like +4917698107617 , I could even give you the contact of that guy.
>>
File: 20160821_090329.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160821_090329.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2210074
Pic is the 12l I set up, currently housing about 25 Shrimp. Didnt upload my pic at first.
>>
File: Snapchat-793804330372425436.jpg (481KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-793804330372425436.jpg
481KB, 1440x2392px
Fish and dogs forever. Thought Weimaraners were the only breed for me till I adopted a humongous hairy Newfoundland mix.
>Pic related is my work in progress.
Someday I'll keep chickens, maybe adopt a qt outdoor deer in my yard.
>>2209934
Beautiful.
>>2210085
Do they not jump out?
>>
File: 20160823_205947.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_205947.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2210097
Not really, only instances I heard of shrimp climbing/jumping out was either with shitty water parameters/fleeing from a predator or amano shrimp, which are bigger and stronger. Mine usually just graze on the moss and leaves.
>>
File: IMG_7762.jpg (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7762.jpg
1MB, 1600x1067px
>>2210074
Ja ich bin auch deutsch, danke für die Tipps.

It'll be quite a while before I actually get a tank though. Yeah, I thought about getting the cherry red ones because they'd really stand out against the green background and would probably look great. I plan on getting a 30l tank then, that would actually fit right next to me on my desk too. Are any of those "all in one" kits decent or am I better off buying everything separately?

Really nice tanks too, they look absolutely awesome.
And since we're apparently posting setups, here is part of mine from a few months ago. Don't really have any recent pics and right now I just have the red LEDs on.
>>
File: IMG_8297.jpg (994KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8297.jpg
994KB, 1600x1067px
>>2210130
This is what it looks like right next to me now, of course you can't see much but be assured the number of enclosures is ever increasing. We all know how this works.
>>
File: TortoiseBabyHat.jpg (85KB, 720x713px) Image search: [Google]
TortoiseBabyHat.jpg
85KB, 720x713px
Only one i would like but isn't feasible right now is a tortoise. Tortoises are one level of magnitude above my comfy level of care and space requirements. The space I could probably figure out but the care requirements are just a bit more than I can handle on top of my current menagerie of herptilia.
>>
>>2210130
Cool rack! The complete kits, like nano cubes are usually ok, but you will overpay for a rimless fancy tank with a meh lighting and a not so great footprint.

You can get your complete setup, including shrimp and substrate and plants for under 100 €, if you buy a used 30l, a cheap innert substrate like a 10l bag of jbl manado, and a used led nano light. Even new ones you can get for about 30 €.
>>
File: 16836087841_0ea758e6a9_o.jpg (2MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
16836087841_0ea758e6a9_o.jpg
2MB, 1600x1067px
>>2210163
I was just asking in case any of them really stood out, I plan on getting things separately. 100€ for the setup is really a lot less than I expected, even 200 would be. Maybe I can get my M. violaceus after all. We'll see how much money I leave in Hamm this weekend. The Terraristika always has the magic ability to extract more money than I planned from my pockets.

I kinda do want to overpay for a fancy tank though, they look great. Guess I'm getting it separate though. Also I do not mind paying more for a good light, quality lights just make everything look better, I mean look at this pretty bastard. That's the one thing I never cheap out on.

And wow you were right about ebay kleinanzeigen, there's some great stuff on there.
>>
>>2210173
100-200€ would be a great middleground then. My suggestion would be then to invest into a hamburger mattenfilter (fressnapf sells fully assembled ones for 15 € + an eheim airpump, which should run you 15-20 € used, they are silent, efficient and give your shrimp a huge surface area to graze on, without sucking in baby shrimp. Lighting depends on how far you wanna go with your plants, smaller tanks are easier to get lit well. The real bottleneck is co2 though. I would run your tank without it for a few months and then you could decide to buy a bio-co2 reactor (jbl bio pro flora 80, 20€) and start injecting it. Though if you just wanna keep low/medium light plants, you can forego co2 altogether.

I wish I could be in Hamm but it's too far away. Heard many good things about the Convention.
>>2210173

Centipedes were also a pet I'd like to keep in the future, since they seem very low on the maintenance/care side. Is there too a typical go to species for beginners you'd rec?
>>
File: 17048904160_88e8a2df99_o.jpg (2MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
17048904160_88e8a2df99_o.jpg
2MB, 1600x1067px
>>2210183
The one pictured, Ethmostigmus trigonopodus. Cheap, easy to care for, not really that aggressive or fast (for a centipede). They just burrow quite a bit but if you stay up late and put up some RGB LED strips that you switch to red at night you should be able to watch them regularly.
Scolopendra subspinipes also gets sold a lot and is cheap, also easy to keep but they are one of the more nervous and aggressive species so I wouldn't recommend it for beginners.

To be honest most centipedes are really easy to care for, you just need to be a lot more careful than for example with spiders or scorpions.
They are quite venomous, very fast, almost unpredictable for beginners and are often called "aggressive" because they like to test bite things and defend themselves quite vigorously. So absolutely no handling, ever. Also a really safe enclosure, top opening, no gaps. If you use a plastic one make sure the lid is secure and can't be pushed open, or, if it can put something heavy on top of it.

If you need any help with getting things up just ask.

Pic is one of my Alipes grandidieri.
>>
File: 15781106874_74cc40bf30_o.jpg (1MB, 1600x920px) Image search: [Google]
15781106874_74cc40bf30_o.jpg
1MB, 1600x920px
>>2210207
*setting up
not getting up, I don't swing that way
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.