[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically, who high are the chances of a dog getting Parvo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: dog-breeds.jpg (105KB, 600x251px) Image search: [Google]
dog-breeds.jpg
105KB, 600x251px
Realistically, who high are the chances of a dog getting Parvo or something else from going outside without all their shots?
It seems like you can either have a healthy, normal puppy from proper socialization at a young age, or keep him locked inside until fully vaccinated and miss that critical window.
What do?
>>
If you get your pup from a reputable breeder then the pup will have been properly socalized before you get it. Breeders actually have people come to their house to play with puppies.
>>
>>2209156
I think it may also boil down to whether or not it's work the risk. It can easily be fatal and often is, and even if it makes it its still suffering. Sixteen weeks is not very old at all. If we were talking months then yeah I can see the hesitation. Your dog will not be ruined for life if you wait. If it has at least started the shots then I might be more flexible, but not with other puppies.
You dont have to keep it locked inside. It can enjoy your yard and a walk. Most dogs that get parvo is from the place or breeder they got it from. You hear it all the time, someone adopted a new puppy or got one and it has parvo. It's very serious but be smart about it and it should be fine unless it came with it and you aren't introducing it into other dogs(especially young ones and puppies). If anything with older dogs, YOUR dog is the risk.
>>
>>2209179
So what about taking it hiking on trails or visiting friends with other dogs? My friends dogs are all vaccinated. I want to socialize with them and they all bring their dogs on the hiking trails together. It's a great way to socialize and get exercise.
>>
just don't let your dog get into feces.
>>
>>2209373
But if its outside but doesn't get into any poop, is it okay to take outside?
>>
Avoid high traffic dog areas, and limit interaction to other dogs that are fully vaccinated.
>>
i used to take my dog to a vet in a more ghetto-y part of town because she's the best vet and she moves around so i follow her

dogs would come in with parvo all the time and they'd euthanize them in the parking lot because it's incredibly contagious and they don't want to have to bleach the entire vet office

they told me people would get a dog with parvo and it dies so they get another one a few weeks later but the virus is still in the grass or whatever so that puppy gets it too, it's insane

humans can get it too

my fucking sister got parvo

my friends brother got it and is a little midget because of it

i wouldn't let a puppy hang out with random dogs before it's vaccinated, personally

and definitely don't take it out in public
>>
The more dogs around, the higher the risk.

Mind you, coyotes can live perfectly fine with parvo. So trails are a huge risk too.

Just wait for the dog to have its shots before heavily socializing.
>>
>>2209393
From what I have heard, the virus can live in the soil for upwards to 10 years, so it can be pretty serious.
>>
What about puppy classes? I've signed mine up for a puppy class. The only requirements are that they are up to date on what is legally required. When we start my puppy will have had two rounds of vaccinations and possibly her rabies vaccine (we don't know 100% how old she is)
>>
>>2209408
Same here. My puppy will be about 2 weeks to getting his final shots when his classes start.
>>
>>2209393
The virus lives in the grass for many months, so a family with chain parvo isn't uncommon. What is uncommon is them actually bringing the second/third etc puppy to the vet, because last time they spent a fortune and it still died.

>>2209408
The requirement for having it's shots is solely to make sure the other dogs aren't as at risk to parvo. That should be fine.
>>
Find a puppy who's current owner is going to hold all of them till they are 12/14 weeks. Its ideal that they stay that long with their mother and littermates anyway.

And Parvo is pretty common and very deadly, I wouldn't risk it.
>>
>>2209156
Carry the puppy outside and don't go to places where you can find unvaccinated dogs or where there are known parvo cases.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.