[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a picture of my snake when I first got her. She has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

File: 20160905_131414.png (2MB, 1440x1433px) Image search: [Google]
20160905_131414.png
2MB, 1440x1433px
This is a picture of my snake when I first got her.

She has been having issues shedding (She sheds in parts instead of just one) Does that have to do with humidity?

I got a new bowl, and hide and now the tank is getting very cramped and tight.

I don't know what to do, or if I should sell her. Fuck.

Any advice guys?
>>
boop her nose.
>>
>>2208922
That picture is old. She is a friendly snake :)
>>
>>2208914
>Does that have to do with humidity?
usually yes

just buy a bigger tank, so the snake has more space

if you are not able to care for it, why did you get it in the first place?
>>
>>2208932
i died
>>
File: 1469985918838.jpg (276KB, 948x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1469985918838.jpg
276KB, 948x1280px
>>2208932
ayy lmao
>>
File: saved.png (3KB, 210x161px) Image search: [Google]
saved.png
3KB, 210x161px
>>2208946
>>
>>2208929
I am still able to care for her, but I don't have as much time.

Thing about regular glass tanks is that the humidity leaves very fucking quickly, which is why some people recommend plastic bins.
>>
File: 1450226224058.jpg (64KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1450226224058.jpg
64KB, 750x750px
>>2208932
>>2208946
>>2208948
>>
the water dish needs to be big enough for the snake to completely submerge itself
>>
>>2208959
Now it is, like I said I got a new big bowl.
>>
>>2208949
ok
I use wooden terrariums with glass fronts, these keep the heat really well, but donĀ“t hold humidity very long

I just spray a lot shortly before an upcoming shed
>>
>>2208962
Ditch the pine shavings, they're sucking the moisture out of her skin.

I know its easy to clean, but its horrible for the snakes health.
>>
>>2209055
Can you post a picture? Never seen one before.

>>2209059
Yea man but it's cheap. What do you recommend? Something like Coco husk? That can get pretty expensive bro. (Also it's Aspen)
>>
More humidity, yes.

Or you can give it a soak. That is a lot harder, though.

A warm, wet towel to slither through can also help if you hold it to create some friction.

I had this issue with my corn a year or so back. It sort of resolved itself when the humidity went back to normal. You can peel some of it off yourself, but I wouldn't recommend that for a variety of reasons.
>>
>>2209391
Bark chips is somewhat better.
Play sand is easy to clean and cheap- some people will argue about compaction if a reptile swallows too much sand, but that's honestly not going to happen. Plenty of reptiles live in sand (Egyptian sand boa, sidewinder).
Peat moss.
Potting soil.
Gravel.
Just a sheet of astro turf.

Wood shavings are fine for desert species, but jungle snakes really should have something else.
>>
>>2209416
I should have said sand is fine with snakes.
Something like a bearded dragon, because of the nature of how it eats and the amount it eats can have issues with a sand substrate.
>>
>>2209419

sand is not fine and is trash. it gets in eyes and vent, can cause impaction. fucking ball pythons don't live anywhere near sand. and also sand is the opposite of what you want in a substrate where humidity is an important factor.
>>
>>2209416

>sand

Wew lad. I'm sure your snakes get constipated for "no reason" too.
>>
>>2208914
>>2208914
Soak her and wen u feed her put calcium on the food. Mone swims all the time in his water bowl
>>
>>2209416
What is good for "jungle" snakes?

>>2209406
Maybe I should cover the top more?

>>2209525
Mines rarely ever swims. But don't mice have everything already? Didn't think you had to add more things. I think that is more for other species of snake.
>>
>>2209431
>>2209437

>Ball pythons prefer grasslands, savannas and sparsely wooded areas.[2] Termite mounds and empty mammal burrows are important habitats for this species.

>This terrestrial species...Favored retreats include mammal burrows and other underground hiding places...

They're not tree dwellers. Wtf do you think sub Saharan Africa is made out of- playdoh?
>>
>>2209583

Dirt. Not sand dunes. Usual substrate for BPs is cypress mulch or just ordinary paper towel.

Yes OP you can cover part of the screen to hold humidity better. Do you have a hygrometer? If not, buy one. You're aiming for humidity around 50-60%
>>
>>2209583
Not sand. You might want to do the tiniest amount of research before you go giving out horrible care advice.
>>
There are a few problems here. This snake needs much higher humidity than you are likely providing it. Swap the bedding out for coconut shavings, they are antimicrobial and store humidity well. I also recommend ditching the open top enclosure as well in favor of a tub with a cover and undertank heat. Get a cheap analog humidity meter from your local pet store and slap that in the tub just to help you keep an eye on things. If you switch to under tank heat, make sure you have a good thermo or make sure the pad is small enough that the snake has somewhere cooler to retreat to.

Good luck anon.
>>
Snek
>>
>>2209586
>>2209587
From the San Diego zoo-
>They are found in rain forests, grasslands and savannas, woodlands, swamps, rocky outcrops, desert sand hills

>http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/python
>>
>>2209416
>Sand for P. regius
NO
it can get stuck between and under their belly scales and seriously harm them

>bark shavings
yes, I use relatively fine Pine bark
But I heard that you shouldn't use Pine bark in the US, is that true?

>>2209391
will do
I'just cleaning the one of my BP out now, will post pic when I'm done
They are easyily built at home and are cheaper than full glass ones

>jungle snakes
what? since when is a BP a jungle snake?
Do you even know what their native habitat looks like?
>>
>>2209641
the jungle snake thing was also meant for>>2209416

idk why the reply to the other guy slipped in between
>>
>>2209583

Savannahs have hard, clumping dirt, not sand. Termite mounds are hard, clumped together mountains of sand.

pls try harder.
>>
>>2209626
I see you're grasping at straws now. Sandy soil and actual sand are very different things. A 50/50 sand/soil mix would work for a ball. Just using fucking sand as a substrate does not.
>>
>>2209586
Yea gonna get one. Fuck I need a new tank as well, the fuckers that sold it to me gave me a Fish tank instead of a snake tank.
>>
>>2209591
Anon I have a heatpad for my snake. Well what tub would be good? I know they are excellent, but shit I won't be able to enjoy looking at my snake.
>>
File: 2016-09-06 18.20.07.jpg (1MB, 3353x1886px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-06 18.20.07.jpg
1MB, 3353x1886px
>>2209055
>>2209391
>Can you post a picture?

this pic was shortly before I started cleaning it
So excuse the branches just randomly laying there and the lack of decor, but I already removed some things before taking a pic

the tank is 120Ɨ50Ɨ60cm and homemade (well, except the glass panels)
>>
>>2209645
>>2209648
>San Diego zoo specifically says "desert sand hills"

>but hey, you know more because of what that guy at the pet store said and that blog you read, right?
>>
>>2209916
I'm not that guy, but I personally was in the native range of the P. regius, and let me tell you, there is a massive difference between the soil they live on and regular terrarium-sand

It is not 'real' sand, more like clay-rich dirt, and very compact
>>
>>2209925
forgot to mention that there are also a lot of big rocks in their habitat and many small-ish shrubs
>>
>>2209772

The clear sterilite tubs have good visibility.
>>
>>2209916
>Says 'desert sand hills'
>On a page referring to pythons in general, a large variety of different species, not Python regius in particular. Only a saingle picture depicts python regius

No duh there are python species that do well in sandy areas. Doesn't mean P. regius are one of them.
>>
>>2209902
I totally dig that anon. I wish I had something like this.

>>2209943
I think I have seen them, not sure where to get though. Could you link me to a site that sells them?
>>
>>2209916
>>but hey, you know more because of what that guy at the pet store said and that blog you read, right?
You mean exactly what you are doing right now?
>>
>>2210390
You're repeating bogus secondhand misinformation that you were told by some breeder who has a closet full of snakes in plastic tubs.

Im citing professionals in their field who are world renowned for their care and knowledge of these animals.

Go ahead and link some actual scientific studies or reports from reputable zoological society's.

All you have is claims from backyard breeders that are on par with puppy mills.

>"I saw a snake on sand substrate and he had injuries- must be the sand"

>"I think the vent can get sand in it- thousands of other snake species have no issues but I saw some sand stuck there when he pooped so it must be an issue".

I'll bet you use calcium sand for lizards too, after all it says "safe and digestible" on the package.

You probably have a ball with mouth rot and just say "its normal, all pythons get it at some point".
>>
File: burmese-python.jpg.cf.jpg (43KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
burmese-python.jpg.cf.jpg
43KB, 533x399px
>>2210869
Illinois zoo.
Burmese python on sand substrate.
>>
Maybe you should do your research properly, AND get all the things you would most likely need for the future before impulse buying a snake you think is easy to care for because everyone has one.

Well guess what hun

Even Leopard geckos can be a bitch

No reptile is easy, usually even with proper planning.
>>
>>2210878
>clearly synthetic sand, probably glued to a carpet

If it isn't, that explains why most reptiles don't last long in a zoo.
>>
Replace the pine with gravel, bark, or peat. Get a much larger water bowl. Add a large rock for it to rub against to assist with shedding.
>>
>>2213068
>(citation needed)

>(citation needed)

You have no evidence to support your claims, just like the myth that sand is bad.

You're doing a massive disservice to the hobby by disseminating bogus information.
>>
>>2213064
Dude it's not very difficult or anything, I just wanna know how to make it shed better, and be overall happier. I love this snake because she is extremely kind, even though I barely touch her.

>>2213259
Is Aspen really pine?
My water bowl, and hide are pretty fucking big, more than enough for her.
>Gravel, Bark, or Peat
What are the advantages and disadvantages of these? Gonna have to get a new tank sooner or later, and I don't have a lot of space.
>>
>>2213733
>Is Aspen really pine?
Of course not, they're different trees.
>>
>>2213733
Gravel can be cleaned and reused but isn't absorbent.
Peat is easy to burrow in.
>>
>>2213734
Ah

>>2213748
I don't think I want to reuse, I rather replace.
>>
File: 1359752982998.jpg (84KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
1359752982998.jpg
84KB, 700x714px
>>
First off all raise the humidity that is most likley the reason. And put some good branches in there where the snake can go in between then,you could also put a wetbox in there.
If that doesnt help just "force" the snake too swim in a bowl of water for like 1 Hour or so,where most of the body is covered in water,but look that it holds it head above the water,I wouldnt receomend it,but try it if nothing else works.
>>
>>2218367
A lot of people I knew with balls would soak them in the tub when shedding was close (right after their eyes cleared and they weren't bitchy)
>>
Some advice from a long time snake owner - invest in a PVC cage ASAP. Do not waste money on aquariums and junk. They will all eventually be thrown out. Their resale value is complete shit, as well.

You want humidity and heat retention for the best possible environment, and you will never achieve that with a glass tank no matter how much of the top you cover up.

A good $400 4x2x2 enclosure will last the snake it's entire life in superb comfort. It will also make caring for it MUCH easier due to the heat and humidity retention of PVC cages. I prefer animalplastics.com myself.

No other cage will maintain 75f and 95%RH with hardly any effort from the keeper. A glass Exo Tera cage can't even sustain 80f and 60%RH without doing some intense modifications to the cage, including sealing the top with silicone/glass panels and installing a radiant heat panel.

You will spend a metric shit ton of money trying to stabalize heat and humidity in a glass enclosure - enough to overshadow the cost of a PVC cage that will void the problem completely.

Do yourself a favor and buy one now. Trim money on deco buy using cardboard boxes and shit if you have to. The enclosure is most important.
>>
>>2209529
>What is good for "jungle" snakes?

I keep tropical arboreals, and I swear by cocoa husk. It retains humidity like a boss (my ETBs fluctuate between 60% and 85% humidity over the course of 24 hours). It also has a pleasant smell. Buy it buy the brick (the kind you add water to). Saves a ton of money.

I buy aspen in 20 pound bags off amazon for my terrestrial snakes.
>>
>>2209626
That is about pythons in general, not a ball python specifically.
>>
>>2218386
Have you ever dragged your stomach over hardwood chips fully naked?
>>
>>2218709

1.) Coconut Husk is a soft wood, shredded, that stays damp to aid humidity of enclosures. It's is like a wood-scented sponge. The entire reason it's used is because it holds water so well.

2.) Snakes don't "drag" anything. This is something a 2nd grader would say. Their bodies glide, with less than 20% of it make pressured contact with the ground while moving.

3a.) Arboreal snakes stay in the air. That is what "arboreal" means. On branches, perches, whatever suits their fancy.
3b.) Of note: Tree branches are infinitely more coarse than coco husk.

4.) I was known to do the worm naked in my college days, so pretty close to it.

Take your PETA logic somewhere else. People that actually know about snake husbandry are talking.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 500x361px
>>2218709
>doesn't own a snake or understand how they move
I bet you think they're slimy too
>>
>>2218709
classic PETA statement
>>
>>2218384
I have no space, or money for such a tank man...
>>
File: Screenshot_20160915-211035.png (643KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160915-211035.png
643KB, 1440x2560px
>>2218386
Wow doesn't seem bad for the price, it's actually pretty good.

For now should I put a towel over the top of the lid and spray every day or so until it looks moist inside?

Humidity leaves so quick with this shit tank. Honestly if I would have known about snakes I would have gotten a plastic container, they seem much better.
>>
File: 1453770362501.jpg (95KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
1453770362501.jpg
95KB, 1024x685px
>>2218709
this obviously cant be a problem for snakes, even if you would have never seen one
>>
>>2219095
No offense but maybe you aren't ready for the pet then. Save up your money from every paycheck and it'll go to a new cage. Honestly the biggest expenses are just the initial costs. But seriously if you can't afford to drop a couple hundred dollars on good equipment I don't think you're quite ready
>>
>>2219156
I can buy it but I just don't want to spend $400 on a tank, that tank is completely overkill.

Most people don't do that and the snake lives just fine.
>>
>>2219583
most people who don't spend some money on a proper enclosure keep their pets like shit

next up is "I can't afford a vet"
>>
>>2219583
just get a $10 storage tub. anyone saying you need a $400 pvc tank or you're a bad owner is an elitist dickhead.
>>
>>2219615
t. american
>>
>>2218384
Ironically, a 15 dollar rubbermaid tub from walmart will work just as well.
>>
>>2219616
most snakes are bred like that.
>>
>>2219615
Yea man he doesn't know what he is saying. A storage tub is enough, I just need to find one of the proper size and has to be clear so I can see the snake.
>>
>>2208914
Aspens bad pls don't use aspen. Respiratory infection iminent
>>
>>2219649
Really? It does have a lot of dust. No worries though gonna switch to a new bedding in the coming weeks. For now I am sure she is fine.
>>
>>2219652
I mean, my reasoning is just personal experience. But my king got a RI and I used aspen, switched away from RI and no problems
>>
>>2219653
What is the cause? Usually it's the most recommended bedding because of how cheap and effective it is.
>>
>>2219655
Paper towels are life dude
>>
>>2219615
The only downside is storage tubs look a bit shit, but that's hardly ever a priority.
>>
>>2219659
Naw I feel like my snake would move it all around, and the poop and pee would go through and dirty the tank often.

>>2219660
They aren't even so bad. I need me one for sure.
>>
File: 20160918_132819.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160918_132819.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
Okay so this is how the snake setup is looking guys.

Fuck, I need a plastic bin as a habitat for her but I don't have a lot of space on this desk. Maybe it could fit, not sure.

Gonna order a 24 quart bag of the coco bedding or whatever today.
>>2219100
>>
>>2220944
can't you move the printer somewhere else?
>>
>>2220944
that's a tiny tank
>>
>>2221007
Honestly I don't have any space for it, this is like the only location I have for it.

>>2221009
It's 20 gallon
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.