[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances of being able to domesticate a Tyrannosaur

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: fluffy_rex_by_arvalis-d7pmir4.jpg (555KB, 2684x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fluffy_rex_by_arvalis-d7pmir4.jpg
555KB, 2684x1200px
What are the chances of being able to domesticate a Tyrannosaur if you raised it from being a hatchling? Do you think it would just kill you as soon as it became of lethal age?
>>
It'd be the same inherent problem as bears and tigers and shit as pets, but probably worse.

It might be tameable persay, but the first time any even slight accident happens you're dead.
>>
just imagine a cockatoo the size of lighthouse
>>
>>2207522

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjiBpFYubU

Now that would be fucking surreal.
>>
>>2207526
i want one so bad tho
>>
File: 1461533278758.jpg (41KB, 570x485px) Image search: [Google]
1461533278758.jpg
41KB, 570x485px
>>
File: 1433725451592.jpg (1MB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1433725451592.jpg
1MB, 2500x2500px
>Do you think it would just kill you as soon as it became of lethal age?

No, but just like any other animal it'll be unpredictable in what it wants to do. Either you die because it's playing just a little too rough or it legit attacks you for whatever reason only it can fathom. I always felt that a T-Rex would be notoriously stubborn for an animal.
>>
>>2207561
>playing
Do we know if dinos even had this behaviour?
>>
>>2207576
Tyrannosaurs played by biting each other on the face hard enough to crush a human skull.
>>
>>2207576
We know that fish, turtles, crocodiles, birds, and lots of mammals engage in play behavior. There's no reason to think that a fairly intelligent predatory animal wouldn't play.
>>
>>2207520
Difference is bears and tigers are mammals and have mammalian intelligence,
I wonder how people fair with raising extremely large constrictors? I heard one story where once a guy's constrictor got to a massive size, it only ate him when he was drunk and thus acting different.
>>
>>2207684

There are no confirmed reports of a snake eating an adult human.
>>
1. That's not domestication, that's taming. Wild animals are not domesticated. Domestication happens over generations. Dogs are domesticated, ferrets are domesticated, horses are domesticated. A pet snake or tiger is tame.
2. It's like owning a tiger. Even if you raise it, you'll never be one of them. They'll kill or hurt you eventually. It's especially bad since they're not social animals.
>>
Dinosaurs, like snakes, alligators and crocodiles and any cold-blooded animal, cannot be tamed.

Brains too small and reptilian. At best, it will not view you as food until the moment it does, then it will eat you because unlike modern warm-blooded vertebrates they can't comprehend affection.
>>
File: nature10906-f2.2.jpg (99KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
nature10906-f2.2.jpg
99KB, 600x492px
>>2208359

The 50's want their paleontological knowledge back.
>>
>>2207617
>Still with the crocodiles playing meme
>>
>>2207684
A squamate is a poor comparison to an archosaur, T rex would probably be somewhere between a crocodile and an ostrich in intelligence.
>>
File: brain to body mass.gif (40KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
brain to body mass.gif
40KB, 720x540px
>>2208738
>T rex would probably be somewhere between a crocodile and an ostrich in intelligence.
T. rex plots dead even with alligators, and significantly lower than any known bird.

These guys were about as smart as a crocodile.
>>
>>2207516
Given a time machine, I'd try my luck with attempting to find some undiscovered species of pack-hunting dwarf tyrannosaur and taming that.
>>
>>2208688
Don't they though? Last time I heard, that was pretty well documented.
>>
>>2208301
This. Any constrictor over ten feet can probably kill an adult human, but swallowing one is another matter. The few "may have happened" cases all involved small adults and there is no completely authenticated case of any adult at all being eaten.
>>
Reptile brain is like a switch.
It is single-minded in terms of achieving its instinctive drives.
and once it reaches the age when it leaves care of the mother, then the moment it's hungry, it sees every living, moving thing around it that isn't...
-offspring
-its mate
-threatening enough to seriously injure it
...as a worthwhile meal.
There is not much nuance in behavior.

Then again, some crocodiles have shown social behavior beyond mating and raising offspring, so I suppose it's a distinct possibility given that some tyrannosaurs may have cooperated to subdue prey.
You might be a "clan-mate" in this sense, but as the larger and more threatening of you two, it will expect to be the dominant one.
>>
>>2207516
The answer to this question can be answered by asking parrot owners how well would they do trying to keep a parrot the size of an orca.

There's also the problem of shear size difference. Even if the Rex likes his keepers and doesn't consider them prey he could still easily kill them. I read some rhino keepers say their animals developed attachments to their keepers just like a horse does with its owner. Even when friendly a two ton rhino can easily crush, gore or ragdoll a human without menace so keepers always make sure there's a heavy barrier between them.
>>
>>2210274
So your telling me a t-Rex would be as friendly and affectionate as my African grey?
>>
>>2211139
T. rex*
>>
>>2207516
I'll tell you the same thing my father told me, never trust an animal you couldn't take in a fight.
>>
>>2211139
What do you care, it'd still kill you.
>>
File: cantunsee.jpg (63KB, 636x565px) Image search: [Google]
cantunsee.jpg
63KB, 636x565px
>>2207516
>>
>>2210243
no, "play" isn't well defined and the behaviors interpreted as play in crocs could have other interpretations.

just because an animal appears to be doing a human thing doesn't necessarily mean they actually are.

the same can be said for supposed evidence of pack hunting and hunting with bait in crocs. These behaviors are open to interpretation and may very well just be accidental.

Currently animal behavior "science" is attracting the dumbest of the biology crew, so we're seeing a lot of exciting new discoveries that they'll probably be apologizing for in a couple decades.
>>
New paleontological research contradicts our outdated findings OP:

"Tyrannosaurus most probably was a vegetarian and used his long sharp teeth to strip leaves from plants."

Source: http://biblicaldiscipleship.org/content/7-earth%E2%80%99s-pre-flood-water-canopy-and-dinosaur-mystery
>>
>>2207516
Reptiles cant feel love its an alien emotion to them so your dino buddy would eat you the instant he gets hungry.
>>
>>2213189
Creationists piss me off
>>
>>2213189
>Develop an enormous body capable of stomping out most other animals, as well as absurdly powerful jaws for ripping anything apart
>Eat grass
Fucking LAME
>>
>>2207526
>not like this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLwGfoybuPw
>>
>>2213741
creationists are generally retards, but creationism in general is at least nominally defensible. it's just that most of its adherents are irrationally attached to the whole """"big man in the sky"""" meme
>>
>>2213913
Vulgarity and violence are the fool's fig leaf.
>>
>>2214109
>T.rex roaring "i'm a fucking legend!" as it tears a building apart before getting in a fight with a triceratops
>>
>>2208683
Those "feathers" are proven to be decayed collagen.
>>
>>2214118
Please kill yourself
>>
>>2214137
I see contrarian edginess is yours.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.