[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Pug >Basset Hound Ive narrowed down my next dog to one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Picture 021.jpg (133KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 021.jpg
133KB, 640x480px
>Pug
>Basset Hound

Ive narrowed down my next dog to one of these. I am leaning more toward the pug, however their long list of health problems is making me hesitant.

Which would /an/ pic?
>>
They're both unhealthy breeds prone to being overweight. Pugs have horrible health issues, and bassets are impossible to train.
>>
What are you wanting a dog for?
>>
>>2207401
buying a pug should be considered animal abuse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsYuRBxRSQ
>>
>>2207406
Companionship. My wife an I already have a Corgi, however it is her dog and I would like a dog of my own. We live in a rural area so both dogs would have plenty of room to play, not that either really desire that.
>>
>>2207410
please get a mutt from a shelter. Dont be a douche and financially reward the fucks that label themselves "breeders".
>>
>>2207410
So I assume you are looking for a more mellow dog that does not have a very high exercise requirement? Just a buddy to cuddle on the couch with?

The biggest thing about Bassett hounds is they are very difficult to train. They can be very aloof with you and just wants to do their own thing. It's not that they are assholes. They just enjoy doing their own thing, and more often than not smells and finding a squirrel is just way more interesting than you. Luckily they are unholy levels of food motivated.

You will need to accept you will literally never be able to go off leash with your dog in a non fenced off area. You won't be able to do an off leash hike with them, and you won't be able to go play in a field.

To be frank, scent hounds are love it or hate it. Some people think their weird aloof, independence is really endearing, while others just find them insufferable.

Also don't be fooled by thinking bassetts don't need a lot of exercise. The breed was built to go all day with the hunter. They are designed for endurance, not speed.

t. Bassett mix owner.
>>
>>2207424
I would, but in my personal experience its almost impossible to get older dogs properly house trained. I had 4 shelter dogs growing up and all of them were only about 80% house trained. However right before I moved out my parents got a puppy and it is 100% house trained, and so is my wifes Corgi. I trained all of the dogs so I dont think it was a problem in my training. It just seemed like the older dogs I got from a rescue never got 100% comfortable.
>>
>>2207428
Weird. I've only adopted adults and never had an issue with potty training except for one very sick shih Tzu.
>>
>>2207434
I've always been able to get them to understand the basics of being potty trained, however I would always come home from school and about once a week find a piss spot. With my current dog (as well as the one of my parents I have trained) I have never had them have an accident in 5+ years.
>>
>>2207428
You don't know what you are doing.
>>
>>2207428
At that point there is something medically wrong with the dog or something wrong with the training or schedule.

I fostered many dogs that needed to be re-housetrained but it was never too difficult. However, some of my dogs would piss themselves if I was even 30 minutes late, more out of fear I assume than anything. I've also had dogs that were barely able to handle the 6 hours of sleep without pissing, but they were all very old or very ill.

Some dogs have been terribly trained, but that's a whole different issue all together. You would not have dogs that were 80% trained, you'd have dogs that literally will only shit and piss inside. But again that's a whole different can of worms
>>
File: Snapchat-1524284740775531572.jpg (1MB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1524284740775531572.jpg
1MB, 1440x2392px
>>2207401
>>2207410
Please give a mutt a chance first though. Go on petfinder.com and search for dogs within your area. A lot of dogs are in need and if you are open to having a dog, it wouldn't hurt to look at some cute mutts/purebreds that need a home, right? Some shelters even post a personality description on the dogs. "Gentle giant" "lazy couch potato" "never pulls on the leash" "100% potty trained" "gets along with cats" shit like that.
>>2207428
Both dogs I have are shelter dogs, one was adopted at 4-5 years and the other adopted at 3-4 years, both tinkled/marked the first week, after that not much ever happened (unless they ate something weird and got diarrhea). Don't be afraid to give light spankies and tell them they've been bad, they get over it and learn. If all of your shelter dogs were 80% house trained then that's a pattern and it speaks about you as an owner/trainer. Don't take this offensively, I am in no way attempting to attack you as a dog owner, I'm sure you spoiled your babies, but something must've been going wrong in their house training.

Rescue dogs take about a year (give or take a month or two) to really come into their own in a (finally) stable home. Our first rescue (he's the 5yo) got comfy after a year even though we moved a couple of times, he became a happy apartment dog, he'd rather be indoors that out most of the time now. Our second rescue (the 3yo) has been with us 7 months and still needs a little time, but is comfortable here. He's more of a goofy outdoor playful soul.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.