[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting a doggo soon, and I have a few questions for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (12KB, 275x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
12KB, 275x300px
I'm getting a doggo soon, and I have a few questions for you dog lovers.

How bad is it to feed dogs cooked meat? I read briefly that it's not good for them to feed them sausages and stuff, among other things on a large list, but realistically, will it really harm them? If I were to feed him that stuff, it wouldn't be every day.

How do I teach a dog not to jump over a low fence when he grows up? I can put something up to make that impossible if necessary, but I'd rather not.

And finally, how hard is it to teach a dog not to bark? At this time, my plan is to whack him with a newspaper whenever he does it. This is very important, because I could lose my dog if my neighbours don't like it.
>>
>>2207055
Might as feed it raw meat. The problem with sausage and cured meats is the nitrates, salt, and other seasonings (garlic etc). But if you are willing to spend the money on FRESH meat you don't even need to cook it. By fresh I mean, meat that was bought or thawed (slow thaw in the fridge) the day of feeding. Stick to poultry and beef. Uncooked bones won't hurt the dog. Introduce little bits at first and increase incrementally.
>>
>>2207069
I was thinking about feeding him the scraps off my plate or whatever sometimes. I'll be giving him proper raw meat as his main food most definitely. But yeah, I guess I won't be feeding him any sausages, thanks. I see other people feeding their dogs that shit all the time, hence the confusion.
>>
>>2207055
As for the training, definitely read a book about dog training before you get the dog. You should know what you have to do before you have to actually do it. Hitting the dog with a newspaper won't help with barking; he'll just bark when you aren't home or able to hit him. He could also take it as you interacting with him when he barks, which would make barking a good thing for him. It would help to actually teach a bark command, so he knows he will only be rewarded when you give the command and not given jack shit if he barks without the command. If it worked for my beagle it can work for any dog. As far as the fence thing goes, you'd have to train a recall. Note, if the dog is going to be in a yard it can easily get out of, you will Have to be in the yard with it, because recall only works when 1) the dog can hear you and 2) you have to see the dog is getting out of bounds to call it back. You can train a boundary similar to an invisible fence, but Without an actual fence, the results may be iffy.

Kikopup on YouTube has a lot of training videos, check her out for a visual guide
>>
>>2207082
Awesome post, very helpful. Thanks.
>>
Just look up spices/foods that are bad and good for dogs.

For example:Garlic and anything in the onion family are poison to dogs. It destroys certain blood cells and puts huge strain on their thyroid. Would feeding them a bite off a sausage every once in a while make them sick? No, not unless their allergic. But just like how drinking alcohol over a long period of years can cause damage later down the road, it's something to be aware of. Especially seeing as dogs metabolism slows down in old age anyway, and they tend to get fat. Messing up their thyroid in the young years will make it really difficult to combat obesity and lethargy later in life.
>>
File: dontShootTheDog.jpg (383KB, 1600x1545px) Image search: [Google]
dontShootTheDog.jpg
383KB, 1600x1545px
>>2207086
read "Dont shoot the dog"
It's not about dog training per se, but about a more general approach on how to train basically ANY trainable animal (it was first used for dolphins, but even works for birds and fish).

animals that are trained using that approach are usually playful, confident and happy (and also well behaved, of course)
afaik this approach is the one used exclusively for obedience comp dogs as well as police dogs.
try to make everything a game and you will have a happy dog.

one last dog specific thing: learn a bit about body language of dogs. there are some subtle points that many dog owners never learn (for example lip licking and yawning are stress signals. I was living with a dog for 10 years and never actually figured that one out..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6D-RITYklI
>>
>>2207151
Great. Here comes the positive or lyrics snake oil salesmen with their scam again.

You know how they could train dolphins like that? Because they starved and isolated them. They tortured them into listening.

Also no one tries obidence dogs or especially police dogs like this. If. A police dog was trained with positive only, it would die it's first day of service.

Lastly, dogs trained like you described are almost always aggressive, neurotic, unhappy, and paranoid because they completely and utterly lack leadership.

Fucking shame on you for pushing your poisonous dogma on a first time owner.
>>
>>2207158
Obedience is a dying 'sport' because it is boring as fuck. No-one cares when more interesting and fun stuff like agility and flyball are there.
>>
>>2207158
lol, triggered much? :D

>A police dog was trained with positive only, it would die it's first day of service.

>drug sniffing dog
>dies

>tracking dog
>dies

and have you ever seen an attacking police dog? their tail is always wagging. they learned to attack as a game.

>they starved and isolated them. They tortured them into listening.

you are so obviously retarded it's hard to even make fun of you :^)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.