[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since /an/ is animals and nature, I'm amusing gardening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1464714949234.jpg (100KB, 540x748px) Image search: [Google]
1464714949234.jpg
100KB, 540x748px
Since /an/ is animals and nature, I'm amusing gardening and growing stuff is part of nature, right?
What are some vital vegetables and fruits to grow for being self sufficient, but in a minimal space environment?
Tomatoes and potatoes seem important to me, what are some other important things to grow and eat as a main food source besides hunted meat and chicken eggs?
>>
>>2205206
Sweet, spicy, and bell peppers can easily be grown in medium to large pots. Both all year round indoors and outside!

Strawberries are also super easy to grow at home in pots. Most stores like Lowes even have pots specially designed for growing strawberries.
>>
>>2205220
w8, you can grow normal, sweet peppers indoors?
would it be possible to overwinter my plants inside?
>>
>>2205238
Yep, although to be honest, if they are not near a window that gets direct sunlight at least part of the day then you will have to supplement with artificial lighting.

But this is easy, all you need is a daylight grade CLF bulb and a metal hallide lamp. Both are super cheap.
>>
>>2205220
>>2205242
Thanks for the advice, good to know about sweet peppers, and I forgot about Strawberries (love them) so thanks for reminding me.

CFL bulb works fine for me.

Out of curiosity, does my diy OP pic look like it would work?
>>
>>2205248
I've seen that posted a lot over the years, and as far as I know it's never been debunked. So at the least it won't hurt your potato plants.
>>
>>2205238
>normal, sweet peppers
you disgust me
>>
>>2205206
What about meat rabbits?
>>
>>2205283
Raising livestock is inefficient and a waste of resources. If survivalism, self-sufficiency, and minimalism are your interests, there is absolutely no reason to raise an animal.

To OP, I would recommend a cereal crop like corn; you can grow it easily in a small plot of land and it provides a lot of calorie for the investment.

Tomatoes are an obvious choice; there are a million and one ways to grow them and you can grow several dozen pounds out of a ridiculously small space.

Most popular herbs can be grown indoors in small pots, if you're interested in those (basil, mint, etc).
>>
>>2205416
Adding sweet potatoes/yam to the list.

Some type of bean might be worth planting too
>>
>>2205206
This question gets asked 2-3 times a day in /out/ on the homegrowmen thread.
>>
File: IMG-20160901-WA0002.jpg (183KB, 1600x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160901-WA0002.jpg
183KB, 1600x898px
>>2205282
don't worry, I have a few chilli plants too (Aribibi gusano, peach bhut jolokia, ...)

pic. are the smaller, sweet ones
btw, anyone know what's their name?
I've had this strain for a few years now and I forgot what they are called
>>
>>2205283
They're easy to raise and provide a lot of meat quickly. Rabbit feed is cheaper than chicken feed and can be supplemented with wild grass to reduce the cost even further.
>>
>>2205442
Purple puncherz
>>
>>2205248
It kinda looks like a pain in the ass but it sounds like it should work.

I'd also suggest Russian tomatoes, since they are so big and taste so juicy

>>2205416
I'm going to have to agree with this. If you aren't supporting a tribe, raising animals for meat will take more resources than they will yield. It would be easier and more efficient to hunt. If you live in a place where Rabbits are invasive species, that's unlimited free rabbits
>>
>>2205529

grow collard greens rabbits love that stuff. and there are processing facilities located around USA that you can sell rabbits to.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.