[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have Boxer dog >only way he lets go of ball is if I hose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Boxer-Dog-Playing-With-Ball.jpg (120KB, 1521x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Boxer-Dog-Playing-With-Ball.jpg
120KB, 1521x1200px
>have Boxer dog
>only way he lets go of ball is if I hose his face
>he recently learned to hold onto the ball with his front paws as I drench his face with the water jet

I swear to god I'm going to have to kick this fucker unconscious to get him to let go.
>>
>offer treat
>he drops ball
>click
>"Good drop it!!!!"
>give treat
>>
>>2203651
I was writing an "inb4", but you beat me to it.

He is NOT fucking interested in treats.

Another technique is to hold the toy/ball while in his mouth, and wait for the dog to grow bored.
Newsflash: my dog does NOT get bored.
He just jerks and pulls until he feels some resistance against the toy, and he can keep this up for hours. My record is an hour, and he wasn't showing any signs of giving up.
>>
>>2203652
>He isn't interested in treats
Then replace the treat with another ball? Reward doesn't have to be treats. All that matters is capturing the behavior.
>>
>>2203655
Just doesn't work.

By which I mean: only works rarely, just like every other method.
>>
Why do dogs like balls so much anyway? I mean it's just a fucking sphere.
>>
>>2203650
Boxers can be a real pain in the ass OP, I feel you. My sister in law had one and she had the same problem, the dog wouldn't respond to the "drop" command.
What worked for me was when the dog held the ball in his mouth I would grab the ball and force my fingers to the back of the dogs mouth. Sure you get dog slobber on your hand, but when it feels your fingers touch it's tongue way back there it's acts like a gag reflex and the dog lets go. Make sure you say "drop" when you do this to reinforce it and eventually he will get tired of you fucking around in his mouth and start dropping the ball. Good luck.
>>
>>2203667
>when the dog held the ball in his mouth I would grab the ball and force my fingers to the back of the dogs mouth
My wife does this, and it works sometimes.

Everything works sometimes, but when nothing works, it's infuriating.

I just tried another session, and he consistently let go of the ball when I grabbed it and said "give".
I made sure to throw the ball for him to fetch immediately to reward him.

Maybe if I grind this a couple of times a day, it'll dig a groove into his brain.
>>
>>2203663
You need consistency. Stick with a method and keep doing it. Don't try to train "drop it" one way one day, and another the next. You are going to confuse the fuck out of him. Pick something and work on it. He's not going to learn if you switch from treats to shoving your hand down his throat. Pick something and develop it.

Does he exhibit any other resource guarding behavior? I would err on the side of not using "forceful" techniques like blasting him with the hose or forcing the ball out of his mouth. It may just be reinforcing his possessive behavior by doing something like that.
>>
>>2203672
Oh I'm consistent, my dog just isn't.

What I meant is, I'll grind him whenever he happens to be in an obedient mood, and simply walk away when he's being a dickhead about it.

That's what I did differently today. Usually I'll strong-arm him somehow into letting go.
>>
>>2203673
Leaving him is better than strong arming it. As I said, you might be unintentionally reinforcing the behavior strong arming. There is a reason in his little doggy head he won't let go, and it might not be because he can be a disobedient little bitch. He could have a resource guarding problem, and if you strong arm his resource away, you are telling him there is a good reason to be possessive.

As per the consistency l, I meant grind it in a consistent way. You've said you've tried like four different ways to teach him to let go of the ball. Pick one and grind it instead of giving up on one because it didn't work today and the day before last.
>>
>>2203676
>You've said you've tried like four different ways to teach him to let go of the ball.
Well it takes some trying before you find what works for a particular dog.
>>
When he doesn't let go, stop playing. This way he'll realise you don't appreciate him not returning the ball.
>>
>>2203650

Get some steak and tell the dog "out" then put steak to his nose and give it to him when he lets go of the ball.

You need a high value treat, raw steak works best for me.
>>
>>2206127
I tried using tenderloin, he doesn't want it.

He just sits there, gnawing the ball with the fury of a thousand galaxies, shaking all over his body.

>>2205533
He just runs off triumphantly, doesn't give a shit.
>>
Are you tugging at the ball while he holds it? I did this with my dog and when I stopped tugging and just held the ball and waited he let go after a while because he realized I can only continue to play with him if he gives me the ball back.
>>
>>2203652
Don`t hold the ball, don`t try to pull it from his mouth. It is fun for him to feel resistance and to pull it, this way you only reinforce him to not to give you the ball. I also have a stubborn boxer boy 1 year old. When I need to take a toy from him I grab his collar, so he stand/sit in one place, and put my palm beneath his jaws, but i don`t touch his muzzle or toy. I just say him 'drop' with calm and boring voice. He can sometimes hold it for a long time but not for hours. Because it is really boring to sit in one place with a toy in the mouth.
>>
>>2206162
If he runs away and is happy, then who gives a fuck? Sounds like this is a personal grudge you hold against doggo. Let the fucker be, is my advice.
>>
>>2206182
>Are you tugging at the ball while he holds it?
>>2206194
>Don`t hold the ball, don`t try to pull it from his mouth.

I don't hold the ball, I want him to let go of his own accord.

At one point I managed to get him to let go of the ball on command.
This was after tons of negative reinforcement, i.e. blasting his face with the hose.

The problem was that he dropped the ball on his monkey paws, and he'd hold it in a retard-strength death grip just with his paws.

Holding it calmly and patiently often doesn't help.
He knows I'm on the other end and that's enough for him to hold onto the ball happily ever after.

I just today found out a trick though: I hold the ball gently, and pull the ball to the ground.

Apparently he tends to let go when the ball is touching the ground for some reason.

>>2206218
Lol.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.