[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So guys.... Ive been depressed almost my entire life, I fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20160828_210531.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160828_210531.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
So guys....
Ive been depressed almost my entire life, I fucking hate myself and my life and I dont have any energy to change it....

I cant take care of animal but Ive started to grow plants (chili, coffee and oranges to be specific), and it feels fucking amazing...
I have something that depends on me and needs me......

Is there anyone with similar story?

also... pot plants thread?
>>
File: IMG_20160828_210545.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160828_210545.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>
>>2202255
Probably would have been better suited for /plant/ general but oh well.

Completely agree, gardening and rearing plants is a quintessential therapeutic hobby, hence why so many grannies and retiredfags do it. The idea of gradual growth towards goals really seems to help when there's not much going on in life, and the achievement of fruit/produce/flowers at the end helps put a timescale to things. Shit is great for sad lonely people, and plants usually don't need the devout attention and parent status that animals do.
>>
Nice plants OP, I've got a plant of some variety hanging from my cieling and he's wonderful
>>
>>2202260
this is my first post on /an/ so sorry if I did something wrong....
>>
Cool, i dont do much planting but when i do i feel so peaceful. Im going to grow grapes and try to make wine but only the, how is it called now, the part when the seed sits in a paper napkin and the root comes out, that part takes three months
:(
>>
>>2202266
Germination? Rooting? Klíčení?
>>
File: IMG_20160828_213315.jpg (2MB, 2514x1660px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160828_213315.jpg
2MB, 2514x1660px
>>2202255
It's a great hobby. Thousands and thousands of species to choose from. Enough to learn for a lifetime of studying and experimenting. Can be as cheap or expensive, simple or sophisticated as you want. You can do it alone or socialize, go casual or compete. It's always rewarding. I love gardening. Pic related: it's my new Haworthia cooperi var obtusa
>>
I started gardening under similiar circumstances about 6 years ago. I have always been prone to depression and had a bad breakup, gf cheats on me, I attempt to obliterate my own brains by smashing my head into a bathtub (the nearest hard surface after she broke the news). That was a fun visit to the ER and some interesting stitches (this was also on christmas eve).

After all that, I needed something to preoccupy my thoughts, since most of my thoughts we're based around self hatred and resentment for what happened. So gardening really helped. There's a lot to learn too so it makes it a nice hobby to dwelve into and get lost. There's always a different element of it to master. Also I've heard handling soil actuallly helps with depression. Look it up.

It's also great because you can essentially become a hoarder but it's more socially acceptable to have a bunch of plants than collect, say, other useless shit. To me gardening is kinda like meditation, you feel good about when things go right and if they go wrong, there's not a lot of guilt and it motivates you to learn and get better.

I'm glad you have learned the benefits of gardening anon, i feel if more people did it we would have less unhappiness in the world.
>>
Oddly enough, in the literature prior to Jung, when dealing with chronic depression, keeping house plants was used as a means to help patients. If a patient could keep a plant alive for around a year, they would often be given a kitten or puppy to take care of.
>>
>>2202291
That's a pretty big step... Repot once, water twice a week.. congratz, you are ready for a dog
>>
>>2202297
I don't disagree with you, this would have been circa 1950's. I think it may have been used to varying degrees until the early 80's.
>>
>>2202298
Yea. World was even worse back then. Anyway, here's my 12 years old L. williamsii to get this thread back on track
>>
>>2202305
you gonna trip on that or no?
>>
>>2202263
>this is my first post on /an/ so sorry if I did something wrong....
No big deal.
/plant/ general, discussion on all things plant! >>2189780
Soon to be in need of a new OP.
Now you have a new purpose in life.
>>
>>2202307
Not at all. I have cared for that sucker for ten years. Not gonna risk it by cutting. Since they were banned in horticulture eight years ago I wouldn't even know how to replace it. It needs new soil though. I will soon repot into a gravel-mix instead of the sand-mix which is shit. Too dense I think
>>
>>2202335
Yeah peyote are very cute and special, don't waste it on getting high. Well, maybe consider it if it's a huge mound of growth when you're in your 70s.
>>
Does anyone have any advice that I can get started on with this hobby?
>>
>>2202469
It's kind of a wide-reaching hobby... I guess first you need to know what sort of plants you want to grow, then find out how easy they are for a beginner, and jump straight in. It's a hobby of learning and personal taste, not really something that can be advised.
>>
>>2202475
I meant, what plants can you advise? I don't want to inadequately provide for a potted plant who needs my help to live
>>
>>2202503
It depends what you like, e.g. I mainly grow highland Nepenthes (mildly fussy) and a few assorted cacti/succulents/orchids - although just about any commercially-available common houseplant in supermarkets etc. should be very forgiving and easy.
>>
>>2202503
>>2202544

I grow a lot of plants, but I've always loved succulents. Give them an air-filled mix and low levels of fertilizer and they should be fine. Really easy! Restraining pot size will often lead to a lot of off shots to gift away. People love that :)
>>
>>2202255
I a psychiatrist. The best depression solution I ever hear is this 5 words:
"Turn that frown upside down"
>>
>>2202469
There are so many plant genera to get into. There are orchids, carnivorous plants, succulents and cacti, gesneriads, perennials, ferns and mosses, and the list goes on and on. I would recommend orchids. There's a lot of sources online where you can look. Orchidboard is a good starting place. I like the tiny ones that need a lot of work put in to them to grow well. It's all worth it in the end when you see a bloom form and then blossom. Happy growing!
>>
>>2202255
>I cant take care of animal
why not?
>>
>>2202255
You will really enjoy the grow threads on /out/
>>
>>2203146
Kek
>>
I felt like dogshit a few years ago so I started a saltwater aquarium. Expensive, but everything is still alive and the routine maintenance feels like an achievement.
>>
File: 1465776467932.jpg (16KB, 486x422px) Image search: [Google]
1465776467932.jpg
16KB, 486x422px
>>2202255
I tried to grow tomatoes in a pot a month ago, but the plants died after a week.
>>
why are you growing plants from seed in fucking august.
>>
>>2204777
because you were growing tomatoes from seed in fucking july.
>>
Grow some weed.
>>
>>2202281
U gay?
>>
I want to get into gardening but I'm an urban person. I like flowers but I also want to grow vegetables and fruits. I don't know if you can do that in a balcony. This is probably something /out/ would know probably. I have never been on that board but I think it has gardening stuff.
>>
Want to grow plants like my Oma, who has a green thumb, but it seems I've inherited my mom's black thumb instead.

I especially would like to have an assortment of medicinal plants. What are some REALLY sturdy, enduring plants that can survive while I try to get my shit together? Will aloe Vera be a good starter?
>>
>>2205340
You gotta read up on the plants you want to keep. It's not really surprising they die if you don't treat them right. They have different needs regarding soil, watering schedule, fertilization, light, temperature and even pruning.

Aloe vera is really easy. Water sparsely, keep in bright light - but many A. vera won't like too much direct sun. Soil should be airy and well drained (pebbles, sand/perlite mix etc). Indoor temps are fine. If there is too little room in the pot, it will make new shots all over. Use this info for getting many new plants or grow a big one.
Also, the plant's medicinal value is zero. I still like them and have four myself. Two who grow new plants for me, one who is given optimal growing conditions and one I grow without soil as an experiment.
>>
>>2205376
>aloe vera's medicinal value is zero

you can use it for burns/sunburns. my mom used to slap that shit on my back when I got burned. if you eat it, it also works as a diuretic.
>>
>>2205400
It will do nothing. It cools, but you know, so does many things. It is poisonous to humans if untreated
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-01-12-42-07.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-01-12-42-07.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>2205326
>>2205340
/out/ has the homegrowmen thread which is packed with good info. /an/ has the plant general >>2189780
>>2205400
There are a ton of different varieties of aloe vera, while some can be soothing for a burn, many are not. I feel for anybody who rubs pic related on an open wound.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.