[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey there, I have a question about dog training. This is my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 0714161218a.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
0714161218a.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
Hey there,

I have a question about dog training.

This is my first dog, a Corgi & Jack Russel mix I've made a lot of progress, little dude goes with me pretty much everywhere, listens, plays well with people and other dogs, even responds after he darts for squirrels.

The one thing I can't seem to get a handle on is this greeting bark he has. It's sharp, short, and he uses it every time he becomes aware of another dog or person. Otherwise he's pretty quiet. I currently live in a fairly busy household, so the bark is problematic right now, and something I just generally would like to train out.

I know I could do it with a shock collar, but I've gotten this far with just positive training, and would like to continue. How do you stop a behavior like that w/o negative reinforcement? If it's not possible then I'll concede to using a collar. Any ideas?
>>
That's a cute dog bro
>>
File: 0710160946(2)(2).jpg (999KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
0710160946(2)(2).jpg
999KB, 1920x2560px
>>2199938
You have no idea mang
>>
That's a energy mix right there. Some dogs bark way more naturally and there is no training them out of it. Negative reinforcement and pain aside, a school collar scares and confuses the fucking shit out of dogs. Barking dogs is fucking annoying. My own dog does it, just goes with her breed. Tell her to shutup or stop and ahe will IF someone is around to tell her too. But she only barks at cars pulling in our driveway, people knocking or ringing the doorbell, etc. She is warning us of unfamiliar things. This is a dog saying something is going on and people need to know. She has caught two people fucking around our yard, one just setting fires behind our fence. She isn't annoying unless on the off chance someone isn't home, then she will never shut the fuck up.
But aside from telling her to quiet we have had a lot of success with just shaking a can of pennies. She hates the noise and it helped a lot to only have her bark shortly rather than forever. Shake the can, tell her to stop, and she stopped when she was told too to the point all we have to do is tell her to stop.

Unless this is annoying neighbors then its just annoying to you and you should work around it, and the barking may never stop. Its natural for dogs. This is there way of communicating. I considered citrus sprays myself but having them go off even when a dog yawns is concerning. Still, i think it might be better to look into if it's THAT much of a problem rather than a shock collar. What dogs I've met with shock collars are confused and anxious, and not sure how to deal with situations. They pace, pant and act weird, even so much as showing them the collar seems to give them anxiety.
>>
I don't think a shock collar is the way to go. Unless everyone in your hosuehold has the remote, and is 100% consistent, someone is going to acknowledge his bark, it will get reinforced, and you'll just be zapping him. Whatever you go with, you'll need your entire household to be consistent and not reinforce the behavior.
>>
>>2199934
>Corgi & Jack Russel mix

Aren't you pretty much fucked when it comes to barking there?
>>
File: 0118161523.jpg (920KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
0118161523.jpg
920KB, 1920x2560px
>>2199955
>>2199952

Oddly no, like he used to bark at everything and for extended period of times.

My sister has an EXTREMELY well behaved dog, and he learned a lot of commands when I stayed there for a month. One of which was a universal no(a sharp "Ah!"), and I also used a Cesar Millan technique of physically separating him from w/e made him anxious. Now the continued barking is next to non existent and easy to control when he does.

The bark he does is identifiable. I looked up a chart of barks, and I am sure he is using just two barks.

"Single sharp short bark at a higher mid-range: “What’s this?” or “Huh?” This is a startled or surprised sound. If it's repeated two or three times, its meaning changes to, “Come look at this!” to alert the pack to a new event."

and

"4. One or two sharp short barks at a mid-range pitch: “Hello there!”"

it's just a single bark, at a high or medium pitch. He does it when he is either startled by a noise, that's when its high, or when he becomes aware of a dog or person, that's the mid pitch.

There is a bit of philosophical debate on whether or not negative reinforcement is ethical, but the fact of the matter is that trainers have been using leads to give negative reinforcement for a LONG time. It's normal, it's part of dog's history. I am not absolutely against it, I just generally want my dog to live as comfortably as possible.

He's my main man 100%, but that also means I want him to behave as well as he possibly can. the better he behaves, the easier it is for me to take him on adventures, which he's been on a lot.

Shock collars aren't even that bad. sometimes you can get away with just the vibrate settings. I know enough about dog training now to do it properly, but I was hoping someone here would have a fancy trick/ procedure to avoid it.
>>
File: 0716161619c.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
0716161619c.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>2199972
Aight, I'm going AFK from this thread, hoping for some ideas, but not expecting it. Thanks for the help /an/. Keep it real, keep it cute.
>>
>>2199972
>I also used a Cesar Millan technique of physically separating him from w/e made him anxious. Now the continued barking is next to non existent and easy to control when he does.
While on the off chance this worked for your dog, good for you and your dog! Despite teaching it this means if they are uncomfortable from something, barking like nuts means they can get the fuck away from it.

>The bark he does is identifiable. I looked up a chart of barks, and I am sure he is using just two barks.
>two barks
Honestly, why is this such a problem? It's two barks and its over. Short barks, and its over. By all means try to stop it but a shock collar, vibrate settings or not are extreme for something that is not an issue other than you don't want him making a single noise. He isn't barking up the walls, he isn't annoying neighbors by barking nonstop, you aren't going to get fined for a bark here and there, etc. This sounds like more of a 'you' problem. I am not 100% against 'negative reinforcements'. But your dog sounds well behaved and lovely. I don't see why you are trying to spend the money and autism on something so minor. Because he barks slightly is by no means an issue, and even less if you're just walking him and not in the middle of a dying baby AIDs burn center and they're all asleep since unconciousness is the only time they don't feel agony.

If he wants to bark slightly, tell him to shut up, shake a can of pennies. You aren't getting fined out the ass, he isn't keeping anyone up for hours, he isn't at risk for getting posioned by a neighbor, etc. He is sounds so nice, and at this point it seems you want a dog but you don't want it to act like a dog at all. Shock collars at the least should be used when the dog is actually a problem and you have no other option. The fact that you have came down to this for something so little is hard to grasp.
>>
>>2200007
I have to agree with this anon. Your dog sounds like a lovely little gentleman, and it sounds like you've done a great job training him. Dogs bark. It's how they communicate. I don't see the need to use a shock collar on him to make him stop doing an innocent little "hello!" bark.

Teach him "quiet" if it's really that big of an issue. I also don't have an issue with negative reinforcement, but it just seems needless in this case. He sounds like he is super well behaved.
>>
File: 0723161445.jpg (843KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
0723161445.jpg
843KB, 2560x1920px
>>2200007
>dogs will be dogs

Yeah I understand that, he is well behaved, and I am super proud of him, but anyone who is serious about training their dog doesn't ever stop. Your dog is always a work in progress, you always want them to be just a little bit better.

The bark isn't super problematic, but if I can get him to do it less, it would be better for him as well as me. Dogs barking is unsettling for people, it can get things put off on the wrong foot.

An example, which I've encountered several times is when I'm come into a highway rest area. People come and go at a fairly fast pace, however I often will spend an hour or more just chilling, doing work or juggling(hobby). When he barks at every single new person in these types of scenarios it sets people off, and they begin to question if they need to worry about the dog. For me personally, I know that the barks are harmless, and that he'll stay in whatever area I set him, and come back if he does happen to venture out, but other people don't know that. It puts people on edge, and that's something I am attempting to solve. I want him to be a positive addition to what ever scenario I bring him into.

I run into this problem a lot. I expect a lot out of my dog, and I've heard from more casual owners that I am going overboard. Thing is, my dog isn't just a pet. He's going to be traveling with me a lot. I have goals for him as well as myself, and I'll take the step needed to achieve that. It's kind of hard to explain to someone who just wants a well behaved house dog. I have to have a certain amount of control over him so that I can take him on hikes, roads trips, and hopefully festivals. I only need control of behaviors that are problematic, otherwise I give him as much freedom as I possible can.

Anyways threads kind of derailed. More of just sharing my own dog experience/ opinions at this point. If you guys have any questions I'll pop into this thread a time or two more, otherwise I'll be moseying on.
>>
>>2199946
Where'd his ears go? So cute!
>>
>>2200679
The thread hasn't derailed at all. By all means continue to train your dog for the best but if he is already such a well behaved dog then resorting to pain to correct such a minor inconvenience sounds obsessive and.. I don't know another word for it, if not insane. Your dog isn't biting anyone. Its not trying to attack, and again this barking is not unyielding. If you'd like him to stop, or try to get rid of it 'nicely' then I see no issue about it. This is not a "my male dog pisses on everything, dogs will be dogs lol". This sounds crazy, I hope you dont have kids. A dog is not a child but dogs do have their own personalities. No matter what some dogs won't be 100% comfortable with everything. If you can't fix it, work with it. He isn't a stuffed animal or a robot. Frankly I'm amazed you have such a well behaved a mix. This is great, and again, your dog sounds very lovely and sounds like you have done a good job. Why does their have to be more when all you can think of is resorting to shocking him? I'm just repeating myself at this point. Barking does not have to be aggressive. Who gives a shit if joggers slightly question a dog? You know your dog, and if you are confident enough to let strangers pet him and he does fine then this is not an issue at all.

And you're right, he isn't 'just' a let to you. He is a robot to you and you're far too controlling. Those casual dog owners aren't wrong. Again, I don't want to get hippie on this. I am not entirely against negative reinforcement, but you should stop to think and maybe you are the problem rather than your dog just because it's not living up to your expectations for this one, slightly minor thing to the point you are considering a shock collar.
>>
>>2200686
Pet*
>>
>>2200679
Why not start to teach him agility? Tricks? Rally? You are great to be pushing your dog, but I just feel you could channel that energy into something more productive than zapping him with a shock collar because of a natural, expected dog behavior. It sounds like you are a great trainer, and he is super eager to learn, and you've got a mix that really loves athletics. He would be a total natural fit for agility.

Channel that need to improve into something awesome that makes him happy instead of shocking him. Anyone who understands dogs isn't going to be bothered by his bark, and will immediately realize what it is.
>>
>>2200686
Derailed in a sense. I was looking for advice, but mostly now we're talking about whether or not shock collars are ok.

Which goes back to what I meant by the philosophical debate. It's just a trick of psychology. I dunno if you've ever messed around with a shock collar, but it's not even painful unless you shell out for one meant for large dogs with extreme issues. The regular settings are just a minor annoyance to discourage certain behaviors. Like I said, it's no worse than using a lead, which people have used w/ hunting dogs for centuries. I would prefer to use positive training techniques, of course, but in this particular case, I don't think that's possible.

I know that I don't want him to have that bark, and I know that I can control it with a simple, humane process. It's just a matter of for an hour or two everyday, using the shock collar in a setting where he would bark a bit, and trying to get him to associate that bark with the shock, and a noise. keep that up for a while, slowly taking him to more challenging settings, and in probably 2-3 months, and he'll use the greeting bark much less if at all. W/ any luck halfway through it would just be the associated noise, but I'll have to see how that goes.

Also, by no means do I see him robot, I give him plenty of freedom, he gets to run around, climb things, sniff, greet people, dogs, chase critters, go swimming etc. I let him be a dog, and up until now, I've been letting him have the greeting barks. He also has several other barks that I allow, especially when he's outside or in a dog park. Just like humans, there is a time and place to be noisy.

>>2200691
I already channel a lot of energy into making him happy. Walks, hikes, swimming, dog parks, you name it. He's a happy dude, he has a ton of fun.
One of my long term goals is to put together a hoop performance w/ him. He's going to be killer at it. Not my focus right now though.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.