[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could use some advice. I have a dog and a cat, both indoor pets.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (90KB, 284x193px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
90KB, 284x193px
Could use some advice.

I have a dog and a cat, both indoor pets. My dog caught fleas and the cat has them now too. My dog takes sentinel every month which is a flea and tick preventative. He's had a couple flea baths and is wearing a flea collar. I caught one flea on him since taking him to the vet a couple days ago.

I keep pulling a handful of fleas off of my cat when I run a comb through him. I put harts ultra guard on his neck. Seems like that was a waste of money. I gave the cat a flea bath too. He still had fleas the next morning. I've washed all laundry and blankets, and vacuum everyday.

What more can I do? It's mainly my cat that is having it the worst right now.
>>
>>2197659
Ever since feeding my animals anti-flea tablets I've never had a problem.
>>
>>2197661
Did they have a flea problem prior? What tablets do you feed?
>>
>>2197669
Tablets?
>>
>>2197669
Trifexis. I don't think they make trifexis for cats but the cat equivalent would be something like cheristin. And yeah, we had a HUGE flea problem before and this got rid of it. That's why I recommend it to everyone.
>>
(1/2)

Hi OP.

Sentinel is a good product for heartworm and general parasites, but it is NOT a flea prevention. Whoever sold you it as a flea prevention tricked you. All it does for fleas is stop the lifecycle and prevents the eggs from hatching. It does that well, but it does nothing to kill fleas on the dog, or keep fleas away.

Try to find a vet in your area that sells Bravecto. It is similar to the Trifexis another anon mentioned, but a single dose lasts 12 weeks. It is a really great product. Coincidentally, I use Sentinel and Bravecto on my dogs, so I definitely can recommend both.

One important thing is to NEVER EVER use a dog flea topical! Dog flea topicals are POISONOUS to cats! If your cat rubs up against your dog when you first apply it, your cat can get super sick. Not sure if your two little buds are bros, but I just wouldn't take the risk. Avoid the dog topicals at all costs because you own a feline.

Also seconding the anon who recommended cheristin for cats. Great product. It's really pricey, but it works great for fleas. Definitely pick some up for your kot.

Getting your animals on a high quality preventative is step one. This will go a long way, since it will turn them into walking flea traps. If any of the fleas try to nibble on them, they will get killed. That being said, you'll still need to treat for fleas in the environment. Look up something called diatomaceous earth-- make sure to buy food grade. It is a low tech, very safe, natural, and incredibly effective way to kill fleas in the environment. Basically, spread it over everything: carpet, furniture, bed, etc. Leave it on there for 8 hours or overnight, and vacuum up in the morning, AND TOSS/BURN THE BAG. It dehydrates the fleas and kills them. It is really cheap stuff too. You'll probably want to vacuum quite religiously for several months after this as well.
>>
>>2197659
Lufenuron and nitenpyram. Dirt cheap, safe, and works great and you can use it in cats and dogs. Does nothing for ticks though.
>>
>>2198094
(2/2)

If you have a yard, invest in some spray and treat your entire yard. Adams makes a great product. They also make a really great flea shampoo. Once you stop seeing fleas in the environment, give your animals one last flea bath with this shampoo. The great thing about this product is it will kill fleas at all life stages (one of the few shampoos that does!). This will get rid of any eggs on the cat and dog.

One last important note: remember the flea life cycle. The lay eggs, and the eggs hatch in 3 months. You cannot stop the baths, flea medicine, vacuuming, spraying, for at least 6 months, else you will be dealing with another infestation (I just do it all year). You'll need to keep up the battle. You've got a long war ahead of you, but if you are persistent and don't get lazy, you'll win.

Good luck, friend.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.