[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know any beginner birbs? I've b meet doing research

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: cockatiel.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cockatiel.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
Does anyone know any beginner birbs? I've b meet doing research and the cockatiel seems to be a nice choice, but I'm open to suggestions.

Advice is appreciated!

Also general beginner birb thread.
>>
>>2193775
I've been*
>>
>>2193775
I've heard pigeons are actually pretty accessible birds. They're quiet, don't require a lot of interaction or toys, just a large cage (you can use a large dog crate), diaper changes so they don't crap everywhere and of course, lots of time outside.

You do have to keep two of them and destroy their eggs when they lay them though, and they might build random nests around your house, but it's kind of cute to have the two married pigeons and they seem to have cool personalities. Also, they're large and come in many different shapes.
>>
>>2193775
>tfw your cockatiel is dead
I wasn't home when it died. I never know what happened. My parents and my older brother were at home but they just suddenly found it dead on the floor.
>>
File: cockatiel2.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
cockatiel2.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>2193786
Interesting. Are pigeons affectionate? I might consider looking into that.

>>2193801
So sorry, Anon. Everyone dies eventually, sadly. Some earlier than others. Atleast you know he was treated well.
>>
>>2193817
it wasn't very close to me, also it was a female cockatiel because it would occasionally lay eggs, and when it was the case she was staying in her cage and getting really aggressive. It was more my mom's pet, but it would only let my father caress it.
>>
>>2193817
>Are pigeons affectionate?
They are, especially if hand raised.
>>
>>2193835
That really sucks, man. RIP, lil cockatiel.

>>2193836
Where can I buy one? I'd assume regular shelters don't hold pigeons.
>>
>>2193786
>quiet
I have a dove and if pigeons are anything like doves I can fucking assure you they are NOT. IN ANY WAY. QUIET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuLMpKx0LF0
>>
>>2193775
Cockatiels are great. They're not as high maintenance as many other birds, not usually very loud (mine only ever sing, they don't scream) and they are much more affectionate than most other beginner birds.
>>
>>2193775
cockatiels where my first bird, very loud. Only get one if you will let it fly around your house as well
>>
File: WEBM_14-14716067422259357.webm (3MB, 1422x800px) Image search: [Google]
WEBM_14-14716067422259357.webm
3MB, 1422x800px
I found out my friend was allowing my birds to mate while I was gone for a month, I came back today to find my energetic female depressed, fluffed up, cold in fucking 30 degrees and possible going to lay an egg as she's heavier, her belly near her poophole is a bit sort of bigger so that's what I'm basing her pregnancy on. She's also sleepy as fuck the entire time and just not interested in anything anymore she just sits around there trying to sleep?
She also keeps doing this with her wings, which she never did before.
I tried to check if there's an egg bound but I couldn't see anything. Does the egg come out of the same hole she poops from?
Please help, I don't have any avian vets (just normal vets that don't even treat birds that much since the population prefers cats and dogs) in my country.
>>
>>2194049
You need to look up exotics vets.
IF you own a device that can record in that quality there must be exotics vets around.
>>
>>2194061
I live in Lebanon, where everything not useful and expensive exists, and the real shit you need doesn't
>>
>>2193775

Hi OP. Cockatiel owner here. They're great birds for beginners and I'd recommend them over pigeons.

Make sure you get your birds from a reputable breeder and not a pet shop. Consider whether you want a male or a female, as males are more talkative but less affectionate. Consider whether you can really promise the bird up to as many as 20 years of good health. If you are away at work or wherever most of the day I'd recommend getting two birds to keep each other company.

Any more questions, just ask. Pic related is one of mine.
>>
>>2194049
>>2194066

Wish I could offer more help but I don't have much experience with egg-laying. Is your bird eating and drinking? From what you've described it definitely seems that something is wrong.

The egg should come out the same area she poops from, yes. Could you take a pic of or describe her poop please? It's probably the best indicator of health.
>>
>>2194072
Her poop looks normal, and she's eating fine though drinking not so much
She drank a bit while bathing though
In any case thanks, I'll see what I can find here
>>
File: IMG_20160819_154552.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_154552.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>2194082
Here's her most recent poop
>>
>>2194082
>>2194084
Normal poop is a good sign.
Eating well is also good.
She needs to drink so make sure she does that every so often.

It doesn't sound very like when my bird laid eggs. She didn't seem to eat a lot but drank loads and her poop was watery. To me it seems as though your bird might not be laying, but just ill.

I'm not sure how much more I can help you, but here is a great site:
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/egg_laying.html

Be sure to dig around on it, and maybe post on some cockatiel forums.
>>
>>2194099
Thanks!
>>
Hi op, i agree that tiels are great first birds. We got korvus about a year ago and he's amazingly sweet. We even took him to see santa
>>
File: 920x920.jpg (46KB, 920x592px) Image search: [Google]
920x920.jpg
46KB, 920x592px
>>2193852
Not usually, no, but there are pigeon specific rescues. You can also buy them in markets where they are sold for squab. King pigeons (meat pigeons) are domestic and they're pretty cool.

>>2193909
Yeah, to be fair, although they're less loud than doves and they don't coo all the time, they do make noise, it's just quieter than most other birds (which I have no experience with).
>>
>>2193775

Parakeets.

They're exactly like owning a Rat, except they're a lot slower to trust you and they can fly.
>>
>>2194325
Parakeets aren't *usually* great starter birds for someone who wants an affectionate bird imo. They are easy, but most are not affectionate.
>>
>>2194049
>friend allowing my birds to mate

whats up with the nest box? did he install one for you?
>>
>>2194105
That's fucking adorable, Anon.
>>
>>2193775
Budgies, cockatiels, and green cheek conures are all great beginner birds - I favor the latter. I've had all three, though sadly my tiel died a couple months ago, she suffocated on mucus and vomit following a long battle with a liver infection.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.