[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a black lab who won't bark at the door when he wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: download (3).jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
8KB, 259x194px
I have a black lab who won't bark at the door when he wants to come in, only scratch. How do I train him so he starts barking?
>>
Well, one way would be to not let him in when he scratches.

Because you let him in when he scratches, he learns that the way to get let in is scratching the door. He thinks that's what you want because it's what you reward/reinforce with what he wants (getting let in.)

So, in order to break his habit of scratching and train a new behavior, you have to stop reinforcing his scratching. Don't let him in when he scratches, no matter how much he does it. In the beginning, he'll scratch and scratch and scratch because he doesn't know why it's not working--it's worked all the previous times so maybe he just needs to do it more, he figures. But eventually he will learn that scratching doesn't work anymore, and he'll stop.

That said, in the process of him scratching the door and you not letting him in, he will no doubt get frustrated. It's not uncommon for a dog who is frustrated to whine/bark. If you can get him to bark on his own because he's frustrated, training it will be easy--as SOON as he barks/makes noise, let him in. Keep doing this and he will figure out that barking = getting let inside.

You could also train him how to bark on cue, and then cue him to bark before letting him in each time. In either case, if you do not want him to scratch the door anymore, you should never let him inside when he's just scratching the door.
>>
>>2192440

OK thanks. It's kind of weird because my family had a dog that always knew to bark when we were younger and now our two new ones don't bark at all.
>>
>>2192478
Eh, different dogs are more bark-y than others. Since your dog was more inclined to try scratching first, and he learned that scratching worked to get let in, he never had reason to try barking instead. If you teach him that scratching doesn't work anymore, you should be able to teach him to do a different, preferred method. Dogs are smart. If a behavior works to get them what they want, they will repeat it!
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.