[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /an/ think of having dogs in apartments? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

File: 33.jpg (97KB, 720x951px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
97KB, 720x951px
What does /an/ think of having dogs in apartments?

I'm going to be living alone for the first time soon and I have my eyes set on a Great Pyrenees. I work from home, I don't travel, I have a reliable dog sitter, I go hiking every week and running twice a day. If I have to take the dog out every hour for the rest of it's life there, I'd be happy to. Thing is, I can either rent a house with a fenced yard in an absolute fucking ghetto or I can get a decent apartment somewhere safe.

I can see how something like a husky or dalmatian would suffer in a small space, but I just don't see a lot of convincing arguments as to why Pyrs would suffer in a small space.
Also, dogs in apartments in general. What do you think are the best breeds to keep in an apartment? Is it really cool to keep any dog in one as long as the dog is small? To what degree is the stigma around keeping dogs in apartments based around the assumption that the dog will be eventually neglected?
>>
>I can see how something like a husky or dalmatian would suffer in a small space
why? if you get them enough exercise they should be fine. my dal usually sticks to one room when she's alone. with large and giant dogs you have to worry about them knocking shit over in the confined space of an apartment.
>>
>>2187512
I'll trust your judgement, I've just known some pretty hyper spotted puppers, but never had one.

I don't mind my dog knocking over shit or barking. That's between me and my landlord/my furniture, I just want my future dog to be happy.
>>
I have a border collie and I live in an apartment. She does just fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (379KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
379KB, 1280x960px
Have a border collie/golden mutt in an apartment and he does fine. It's a matter of whether or not you'll put in the effort. If you get home from work and sit in front of your computer all day and do nothing, of course a dog will suffer.

Mine does well because he has a schedule that we rarely deviate from. 30min walk in the morning, I'm gone from 8:30-2:30, 40-60min walk in the evening. And of course lots of attention while I'm home. On weekends we go to the dog park, on hikes, walks in new areas, etc. He does get squirrelly when I slack on exercise, but that's on me.
>>
Probably possible if you will put the hours in
>>
>>2187552
Like the OP says, I work from home and I have no issue walking the dog several times a day. I want my dog to be my jugging and hiking buddy, that shit's boring alone. Your dog is very cute, anon. He looks like a good boy.

Do you guys think the shelter will be okay with it? :( I can't help but notice a lot of applications ask a lot about a yard and a fence and it makes me nervous.
>>
>>2187564
I've rescued two dogs and live in an apartment (well, condo). Never had any issue.

You just have to put in way more time in your dog living in an apartment. I work full time (not from home) and I spend a considerable amount of time with them. They seem to enjoy life.
>>
>>2187552
90 mins of walking doesn't seem like enough for a border collie IMO
>>
>>2187552
Oh gosh what a handsome young man
>>
>>2187494
Great Pyrenees are pretty nocturnal.

Also I can't imagine it's a good idea to keep a dog bred to guard sheep in an apartment. I also don't think they belong in a fenced yard in town.

Apartment dogs should be dogs bred for companionship and small size. Not gigantic working breeds. You are setting yourself up for failure.
>>
>>2187598
>Great Pyrenees are pretty nocturnal.
One of the reasons I want one. I live in the desert and I like to sleep during the day and go out at night.

>Apartment dogs should be dogs bred for companionship and [be] small [in] size. Not gigantic working breeds.
Why?
1) Why would the size even matter? I see small dogs that are under-stimulated all the time, people just seem to accept a dog eating their shit better when the dog is tiny. It just seems like whenever someone advocates against keeping large dogs in apartments, the reason given is always "Because they are big".
2) Pyrs were bred to watch a flock, not move it around. Do they need an acre of land to roam around? They weren't meant to do a lot of actual working, just watch livestock while the people sleep. I don't see how that DEMANDS a field.

If you are trying to argue that dogs should only do the tasks they were bred to do, then... fuck.
>>
>>2187494
the biggest problem for dogs in apartments are stairs.
they´ll cause joint problems.
either look for an apartment with a lift, or live with the fact, that your dog will have some pianful last years. (or carry it everytime)
>>
>>2188519
>stairs cause arthritis
Jesus Christ bro, life causes arthritis. Stairs ain't gonna do shit
>>
File: My pupper.jpg (294KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
My pupper.jpg
294KB, 1536x2048px
>>2187494

How big is your apartment?

I own a Great Pyrenees, and I can tell you a little bit about the breed from my experience. He's pretty lazy (but he's also fairly active at night), so you want to walk them fairly frequently so they don't get too fat.

You said that you lived in the desert. How hot does it get? If you live somewhere that is almost never cooler at any part of the year, your dog might not do well in that climate.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Pyrs bark. A lot. It's probably their protective instinct, but they will bark at anything they perceive as a threat, especially other dogs. I would take that into consideration if you're going to be living in an apartment.

I also recommend socializing with other dogs just so that it doesn't go nuts anytime it sees another dog. Mine is usually fine with puppies or smaller dogs, but he's very aggressive around dogs closer to his size. I think having a Westie helped with smaller dogs, but do keep that in mind as well.

I'll be happy to clarify anything in this post or answer any questions you have about the breed, so feel free to ask! I'll be up for maybe an hour or so.
>>
>>2188561
Thanks mate. I appreciate that. Your woof cloud is gorgeous. Such sweet, humble faces they have.

I haven't gotten the apartment yet because I'm going to be getting one with the dog as a main focus, however, if I can get away with getting a nicer apartment, which might be smaller, rather than a larger apartment in a shitty part of town, I'd rather take the nicer one.

Dog days (no pun intended) can reach 100 or more, usually for about a week. The rest of summer is 80-90 usually. It is however, too hot for me, so I myself am pretty active at night. I wouldn't wanna walk any dog at mid-day both for their sake and mine.

That's a good thing to know about socialization. Not a lot of large dogs around me, so I'd have to look for them.

How's the training? I like dogs that are a bit independent, but I don't know just how independent Pyrs can get.
>>
>>2188579

Fair enough. We generally don't walk him during the daytime in the summer anyway. You just don't want to leave a fluffy pupper (or any dog, for that matter) out in the heat too much.

As far as I remember, we didn't have too much problem training him. He caught on to potty training pretty quickly, and he usually comes when you call him, but he does ignore your calls sometimes. Having said that, they're not German Shepherds or retrievers, so don't expect them to be the smartest dogs you can have.

He's pretty independent. Although mine's pretty lazy, so I'm not sure if he really exhibits independence all too frequently. He will become very protective of you, though!

Another thing to bear in mind when training a Pyr is that they WILL CHEW ON FURNITURE. Although my pupper has long sinced stopped doing that, make sure you either give him a lot of chew toys or keep him caged when you aren't around for the first few months. He also slobbers a lot, so get a lot of rags!

And as a disclaimer, be sure to do a lot of research on Pyrs before you get one. My dog's has some of the basic characteristics of one, but I don't think he's the golden standard as far as Pyrs go.

I hope you have just as much fun with your Pyr as I do with mine! He's the best dog in the world, and I miss him so much right now (I'm teaching English, so I had to leave him behind :( ).
>>
>>2187574
He does get more activity on days when I don't work. And obviously we go around the block every time he needs to pee. He's pretty lazy for his breed mix though.
>>
>>2187564
I got my dog from a rescue and disclosed I lived on the second floor of an apartment and I was approved. He was even a young puppy then. Of course, the rescue turned out to be shitty, but I got my buddy and we live a good life.

Despite how stringent the guidelines might sound, they ARE just guidelines, and the shelter people looking at you are human and can make a good judgment call. Just make sure you let them know you work from home and can commit to the dog's exercise and care.
>>
>>2188588
I grew up with basset hounds, so I was raised by barks and drool.

From what I've read, they mostly ignore you when they feel a threat, which sounds acceptable for me.

Good tip on the chewing though. I might leave a part of the apartment mostly clear to fence the pupper off when needed.

I'm sorry you're apart from your buddy, anon. I hope your reunion has lots of hugs.

>>2188600
Thanks. This makes me feel a lot better. I guess I'm just scared of being told by them that I'd be a hazard to an animal.
>>
>>2188588

New pyr pupper owner here: any advice on specific chew toys? My guy likes to eat furniture and paper. Since I'm also an English teacher, this is obviously no good (I had to had over a half eaten assignment the other day and explain my dog ate the student's homework. Many laughs were had but I felt awful).

So far I've gotten him a nylabone, which he somewhat likes but I don't leave him alone to chew, kong with frozen dogfood, which he really likes but polishes off in like 2 hours, and squeaky toys. The only item that gets his undivided attention is when I give him bully sticks, but that's really expensive.

So toy suggestions? Also, when did your pyr stop chewing on everything?
>>
>>2188705
Post pics
>>
File: 20160812_133304.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_133304.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>2188720

Woofer at the park. The rescue agency gave me conflicting information. One worker said he was a pyr/golden mix while the head lady said full pyr.
>>
File: George1.jpg (10KB, 137x140px) Image search: [Google]
George1.jpg
10KB, 137x140px
>>2187512
Highly recommend a newfoundland

Same size category as the great pyrs

My fucker is eternally jolly, and once he gets his 2-3 walks he's full on sleep mode
>>
>>2188738
I don't think he's full pyr. How old is he?
>>
>>2188756
About 8 months. He had mange at 5 months so he was almost bald when we got him.
>>
>>2188738

Defo not a full pyr. In fact, doubtful if there's any in him at all, I'd say he was a golden mixed with shepard in there somewhere. Lovely pup either way.
>>
>>2188747
Also pretty interested in Newfoundlands. I am leaning more towards Pyrs, but I'm researching both.

>>2188738
Adorable pupper. Cute dainty legs. 10/10
>>
File: Snapchat-6933844051055062407.jpg (1MB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6933844051055062407.jpg
1MB, 1440x2392px
>>2188747
>>2188798
Seconding newfies. I only have a mix and he's great, goofy, huge, hairy, and lazy. He's so gentle I now take him to a senior home every other week to get loved on by old farts. Adopted him in January, 3yo, pic related.
>>
File: Snapchat-7332390274286768270.jpg (740KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7332390274286768270.jpg
740KB, 1440x2392px
>>2188935
Forgot to mention we live in about 1000 sq feet.

The other is german shepherd pit(?) mix, he's very good too.
>>
File: Archie.jpg (67KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Archie.jpg
67KB, 720x960px
>>2188705

That sounds exactly like my dog when he was a pup!

We give him rawhides. I'm not sure what /an/'s opinion is of them, but those seemed to keep him occupied, unless he decides to take them outside. Really, anything that keeps him away from thing you don't want him chewing on is ideal.

>>2188606

I'm probably going to spend at least an hour hugging him when I get back home. I've not even been out of the country for 2 months yet and I miss him like crazy.
>>
File: leooooooooooon.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
leooooooooooon.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
I have a small-ish dog in an apartment with 2 cats.

> obtained through non-profit shelter Angel Paws and donated $200 over the adoption cost (just $50)
> ~1yr old
> chill-ass temperament
> not a fan of being crated in the car home though
> 2yrs later he's still chill af
> listens to my every word
> knows 2 dozen tricks and can combo them, etc
> agility level 9001 for a short-legged dog
> always getting peeps asking what kind of doggo he is
> say "he's a good dog," or "the best kind of dog"
> also good with every animal he comes across
> recall on point
> just wants to run and play with other doggos and kitties
> no bite
> no growl
> no bark
> 10/10 doggo

I grew up with all kinds of animals on the farm, but this dog is the most attentive and has the most discipline, since he's my first dog I got as a grown man. My apartment is barely 900sq ft and I share it with my girlfriend of 7yrs and our 2 cats. Dog is fine, just wants walks and food. Entertainment is easy, and if you really want a dog, you'll enjoy having the dog as entertainment and being the dog's entertainment.
>>
File: leonsmileyboy.png (370KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
leonsmileyboy.png
370KB, 600x455px
>>2188998
apartment dog is happy dog
>>
File: pupperleon.png (688KB, 735x661px) Image search: [Google]
pupperleon.png
688KB, 735x661px
>>2189001
Fetch boy, fetch! He's done 3 of these frisbies in 2 years. I think they're "Chuck It" or something. Good for water play too as they float.
>>
>>2189002
+1 for apartment dogs are happy dogs

Just wants to go out and play in the snow for a bit
>>
>>2188998
>>2189001
>>2189002
Nigga got a Golden Retriever head on a long haired Dachshund body.
Really nice coat, bro. A+ apartment dog.

>>2188935
I wish I was an old fart so I could pet this dog.

>>2188949
I feel ya. I didn't see my cat for two years. It started getting hard after the first month.
>>
Are Staffies a good apartment dog? They're associated with urban environments but I always thought they were a suburban breed tbqh. I see them a lot here in NY. A lot of Staffies and Staffy mixes (such as "Bully's").

They're my favorite dog breed but I'd rather keep a Greyhound myself. Maybe if I get a house I'll get one.
>>
>>2189548
They have a pretty decent energy level, but they are also pretty good at knowing how to chill once they are indoors. I would say they can make good apartment dogs so long as you are willing to dedicate time to them (and you'll need to dedicate time to a staffie no matter where you live).

Look to see if there is a dog club that does weight pulling in your area. Also, once he is old enough, buy and walk him with a weighted vest. If you are a runner, make him your running bro.

And also invest in a flirt pole. Flirt poles were practically made for staffies.
>>
>>2189548
Not even memeing but that's some legit shit taste anon. Not sure how they're perceived across the pond, but in the UK staffies are the quintessential scum/benefit-scrounger dog, every unemployed sack of shit with 12 kids owns at least one. And they're definitely not seen as suburban here, unless you consider decaying high-rise flats and council estates to be the suburbs. They seem to thrive in tiny council houses, so I'm sure they'd do great in a NY apartment.
>>
>>2189564

Staffies are adorable though.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.