[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick question about cats. If a cat is infected with rabies,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: CatScratchFever.jpg (37KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
CatScratchFever.jpg
37KB, 800x600px
Quick question about cats.

If a cat is infected with rabies, what's the incubation period until it becomes contagious?

Asking cause I got this kitten from a in-outdoors cat and have had him for over a month and a half. He scratches me regularly and hasn't shown any symptoms yet. I wanna vaccinate him but am paranoid of missing the symptoms of he suddenly shows them while vaccinated.
>>
You can't get rabies from scratches.

Also: Google.
>>
>>2185998
Googled it and nothing about incubation in cats. And she bites me too, not lately but bit me a few times.
>>
>>2186008
>The average incubation period of rabies in cats is two months but may vary from two weeks to several months or even more, depending on the dose of virus transmitted and the severity and site of the wound.

How hard is it to type "incubation cats rabies" into google?
>>
You're fine. Rabies in kittens would be extremely rare. When cats get rabies, its from fighting an infected cat or animal(usually a wild animal like skunk or raccoon).

Go get your kitten checked out anyway since its common for them to carry parasites or other highly contagious cat-specific diseases.
>>
>>2186013
Plenty of wild animals where it grew up till 6 weeks. That's when I took him in. I'm more worried if his mother could've had rabies and transmitted it to him by licking.
>>
File: 2016-06-20.jpg (56KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20.jpg
56KB, 500x374px
>>2186027
Rabies is blood borne. The mother could not transmit it to her baby by licking. The kitten would also have died, since the mother would not have been able to give birth if she had rabies before, and if she'd contracted it after giving birth she wouldn't have nursed the kitten.

Take your kitten to the vet, I bet you haven't even dewormed him yet.
>>
>>2186030
No vets in the area... of around 150 km. Live in a shitty 5th world country. I even have to vaccinate him myself. And I know the dangers and stuff but I simply have no choice.
>>
>>2186030
>Rabies is blood borne. The mother could not transmit it to her baby by licking.

Wut. No it's not. Rabies is only transmitted via saliva.
>>
>>2186033
Oh, that sucks. You have dewormed him though? Make sure you get the three way vaccine and rabies if possible. If he's going outside, give him feline leukemia too.

He probably doesn't have rabies because again, his mother would probably have killed or neglected him so try not to worry.

>>2186039
You're right, I was misinformed. The infected animal still has to bite or lick a mucous membrane though.
>>
>>2186027
If the mom had rabies she would have needed to co tract it late into the weaning stage. A rabid animal would have a terrible birth, and would not take care of their young.
>>
>>2185997

Not rabies.

But you are probably mildly allergic to cats if pic related is your hand
>>
>>2186039
Fun fact!
Despite being the highest percentage carrier of rabies in the US, it's incredily rare to get rabies from rats because they bite with their incisors, which are set too far foward and don't really get saliva on them.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.