[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come nobody has breed tame owls (or other exotic but legal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

How come nobody has breed tame owls (or other exotic but legal animals for that matter)?

I mean, there's definetly a market for it, considering owl permits are easy to obtain in most countries.

Even "wild" owls are being sold. So just imagine tame owls.

I mean, how long could it possibly take? USSR tamed FOXES in less than 100 years, certainly owls would be much easier to tame, considering their lack of the urge to run away constantly.

So how come tame owls aren't a thing yet?
>>
Because we have hundreds of other species already in the pet trade. Be them domesticated or just sold in stores so not even counting actual exotics. Just chose from what we already have. There is plenty to go around.
>>
>>2181295

>2016
>Still comparing owls to other animals
>mfw because of stupid like you I won't have an ugle

Shut your filthy mouth please.
>>
>>2181293
They tamed foxes for fur trade; there was a much more profitable motive. And they are tamed, not domesticated. They weren't really trying for domestic foxes anyways, just foxes without a fear of humans. They aren't easy to care for like cats and dogs, they aren't easily trained. So maybe if we start using owl down in pillows or something, there will be a reason to domesticate or tame them
>>
You don't know much about how domestication works do you?
>>
>>2181307
Do uou?
>>
>>2181303
you sound like a creep and an idiot
>>
What're you gonna do with a tamed owl? Birds in general sit in their cages most of the time cause they're not fit for cuddling, holding, nor outdoor play. The same can't be said for pet carnivora.
>>
the closest you can probably get to 'tame' owls are probably owls owned by falconers. they don't fear humans, sit nicely on the glove, and if the falconer flies with them they fly form the glove to a perch and back.
>>
Owls are solitary stupid nocturnal fragile and hate you. They will NEVER make an appropriate pet, fuck off.
>>
File: zetland1.jpg (179KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
zetland1.jpg
179KB, 640x445px
>>2181321
Breeds well in captivity. Lives well in captivity. Doesn't want to murder humans. Bam, domesticated.

Zebras are great examples of a species of animal that hasn't hit domestication yet. It will breed in captivity. Taking care of it is somewhat akin to a horse, eating hay, vet care, and so on. But it's batshit crazy when it comes the behavioral issues.
>>
>>2181305
You mistake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Domesticated_Red_Fox
also, scientist's quote from Russian forum (domestic foxes muliply faster then wild, that is why scientists sell some of them):
'...At first, I'll say right away - foxes sell for keeping them in home, NOT for BREEDING... ...Aim of this selecive breeding is replicating historical process of dogs' domestication...'
>>2181293
There are some nurseries of birds of pray in Russia, most of them are private. But it's a big problem to really domesticate birds of prey. If they live with human from childhood, they used to him, but a lot of instincts remain. For example, owl can thrust claws in your face. This behavour is typical for 10thst generaion as for 1st.
>>
>>2181696
Just because they wanted to replicate the domestication of wolves does not mean their motive of doing so wasn't for fur trade. I don't understand your point there.
>>
>>2181293
>How come nobody has breed tame owls (or other exotic but legal animals for that matter)?
They are, it's just not really a thing in America.

For example, here's an entire youtube channel for a pet screech owl over in Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/user/owlkuu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQtyO1QK84
>>
>>2181766
A few tame birds of prey is a shit example for allowing them in the pet trade. Even falconers will tell you they are not 'pets'. They are not fit to cuddle or play with. They require large spaces and unlike parrots, which you can stimulate with toys and affection, this is not the case for almost all of them.

>>2181696
Even with foxes, why? Anyone who wants the just think they are cute and just like dogs. While they aren't as bad as wild or tamed foxes, its not the same. There is just so much others to choose from that would be even better but people want things exotic because it makes them feel special. More often than not you end up with people more than they bargained for.
>>
>>2181762
>I don't understand your point there.
Maybe because English isn't my native language.
However, they are scientists and their experiment is official and supported by local institute. Selling them for fur trade is illogically: why they would sell them for fur having a lot of concurrents, if hey can sell them alive called as domestic for private persons much more expensive? Accordind to your point of view just because Tesla Motors wanted to produce electric cars does not mean their motive of doing so wasn't for extremely big power bank.
>>2181806
I'm not agree. Why pets must >fit to cuddle or play with? A lot of pets like spiders or snakes have passive behavour. As for pet foxes, nobody saying that they can be as popular as dogs because they are more demanding for keeping requirements and only one organisation has unique right to sell them.
Now pet trade is depends on 3 conditions: keeping requirements, beauty and rarity. That is why owles aren't selling in official pet shops: not every who like them is ready for mountains of shit, claws in face and feeding of mice and defective chikens.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.