[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a wild crayfish be able to survive in a 1/2 gallon bowl?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 20160728_163443.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160728_163443.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Would a wild crayfish be able to survive in a 1/2 gallon bowl?

Invasive rusty crayfish are taking over in my state. I figure it would be fun and also ethical to take one from a stream (I would never capture a native wild fish for a pet).
Could one survive in a 1/2 gallon? Would he grow too big, or stay small because of the tanks size? Would he just be miserable and die?
Pic related, muh bowls.
>>
>>2177636
They need water flowing over their gills, so no.
You need another piece of equipment.
>>
>>2177637
Would an aerator work?
>>
>>2177638
Like an air stone? Not extremely well, unless you crank the pressure up or find a way to get the water moving in the bowl. They're pretty tough to keep alive honestly, but with the right gear you can make it happen.

They need oxygenated water flowing over them so I'm leaning towards no on just an air stone, yes with air stone/water agitator, if such a thing exists.
>>
Just gather a few pounds worth of them with some potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and spices and have a nice crawfish boil
>>
>>2177659
That makes sense, since they live in streams after all...
Do you have any suggestions for fish that can live comfortably in a 1/2 gallon of water?
I know they're real small tanks, I got them for free and want to put em to use.
>>
>>2177789
None of them, please don't try to keep fish in a half gallon bowl.
>>
>>2177793
Why the fuck do half gallon bowls exist? Haha
>>
>>2177789
You bug guy/plont, right? What happened to your rusty cray in the slate tank? He fine?

And no, dont stock a 0, 5gal with fish - the bioload already would be too heavy with just one cray.

If you want something in such a small bowl, I suggest neocaridina shrimp and maybe small snail species.

Aeration will not be your only prob. Crays are messy eaters, such a small volume will invite fungal/nitrite/ammonia related issues, even if you are very tight on water maintenance, since even a small spike can kill your water, since there's not enough to buffer.

As for size - my theory is that, if your cray somehow manages to outgrow your tank, he might develop internal problems and run into molting issues.

In short - if you wanna be productive - get one of those 110l transparent plastic tubs at ikea, set up some caves and substrate, get a cheap external filter and make a cheap cray home and dump the rusties you find in there. Those plastic tubs cost like 10 € so they cheap. I used those to keep many species, ranging from snails and shrimp to newts and toads
>>
>>2177801
They're for the mothers that buy their child a goldfish and don't realize that goldfish need 50 gallons of water and produce too much amonia for that amount of water.
>>
There's no way you could keep that little bowl clean enough to make the crayfish want to stay in there.
>>
>>2177805
I am not that guy! His rusty should be fine. I'll look into shrimp/ snails, thanks for the tip! I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for bigger tanks at garage sales and such because I'd really like to get this crayfish thing going. I'm cheap/ poor so it might be while before I get set up. I will update if I do though
>>
>>2177789
Make a terrarium and add a mantis once you have the plants established
>>
Even if the bowl had a filter system, the crayfish would climb out. They are escape artists and can survive long periods out of the water. You need something with a sturdy lid.
>>
>>2177834
could buy a plastic tub at walmart for like $5 if you dont care about aesthetics
>>
File: 183ylm.gif (1MB, 260x462px) Image search: [Google]
183ylm.gif
1MB, 260x462px
>>2177659

Move your air. Move your water. Use...the Anon Device!

>>1/2 red brick
>>2' plastic/rubber tube cut in half lengthwise and bent around brick to hide all corners
>>Secure with stainless steel wire
>>Wrap ends of wire together and snip at 1"
>>Fold wire back on itself and flare the end
>>Take small plastic/rubber tube and attach it to the wire end, pressing it over the fold and using the flare to catch the soft rubber insides of the tube
>>Use the small diameter tube to attach a circulation pump to the brick
>>Air pump&tube
>>Stick the air pump tube right into the bars on the circulation pump(my pump bars are tapered for a snug fit)
>>All ON
>>
>>2177744
This is the right answer
>>
>>2177637
No they don't.
>>
>>2177636
Get to big and die before he go full size. I left a minnow trap at my girlfriends moms river and forgot about for exactly a year and came back to find two 5 inch long rusty crayfish and a big sunfish
>>
>>2177892
This is a fantastic idea. I will look into this for sure
>>
>>2177990
Damn anon that thing looks powerful. The fish must love it
>>
>>2178141
Crawfish as well I'd imagine.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.