[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small animal thread general? Mostly just want to ask a question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Small animal thread general?

Mostly just want to ask a question. Do hamster breeds really have different "personality" traits? I've never cared much for hamsters but after working in a petstore that got "Djungarian" hamsters I fell in love with those particular ones. They're incredibly sweet, curious, and slow and calm compared to the other hamsters which are either too hyper to hold or seem cranky as fuck. Now I'm thinking of getting one.
>>
>>2175722

Those different 'breeds' i.e. Syrian, Roborovski, Djungarian etc are actually different species. Syrians should be kept separately and Robos in groups but I don't know much about the others. Also you definitely shouldn't mix species.
>>
The different species do have different temperaments....as is true for most species of animal
>>
>>2175722
I only had one and he was very well mannered until he started getting older he started to be kind of a dick. But he was still my buddy. RIP hobbit.
>>
File: 285x285_Flea_Bites_2.jpg (35KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
285x285_Flea_Bites_2.jpg
35KB, 285x285px
>>2175722
so smol
>>
File: image.png (18KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
18KB, 657x527px
>>2175722
Syrians are more laid back and gentle than dwarfs, kinda like rats. They're very cuddly as they age and fall asleep on you after stealing your food.
Djungarians and Campbells bite a lot even when socialized, but they're more active and fun to watch. My dwarfs used to latch onto and hang from my finger with their teeth when they wanted to be let out to run around, it was cute desu
>>
>>2176553
I have only been bitten by a Dwarf once at my job. There have been big hamsters (syrians? Teddybears? whatever the word is) that bite so fucking hard on me they draw blood and have even chased my hand around the cage when I was trying to put food in the bowl or wipe up some pee/poo or change the water bottle etc. The big ones scare me more.
>>
>>2176603
Also I've had dwarfs lunge and scream at me but not actually bite, seems more like a display. Whereas I've tried to pet big ones after they were fully awake and just chilling, seem fine and normal, then abruptly turn around and bite like they want to get down to the bone. Seriously hurt.
>>
As other anions have said, yes, different species have different "general personalities".

Robos- can live together if bought at the same time. Must use deoderizer when introducing new ones to prevent cannibalism. More likely to run away than bite
Russian/winter white- WWs are generally nicer than Russians but both will bite you if scared instead of run away. Super sweet once tamed. House alone!
Teddy bear/fancy bear/Syrian- all the same hamster. Fancy/teddy bears are just pretty colors. Syrians definitely have the worst bite but in my experience, less bites than Russians. House alone!
Chinese dwarf- never been bit by one. Hard to earn their trust.

These are the only hamsters I have experience with.
>>
>>2175722

All animals have different personalities. What you're looking for is the temperament, but most small animals are timid and curious.

If you're getting hamsters, remember that they don't live long, and even if they do, most of them have a habit of suffering from some pretty fucked up diseases later in life.
>>
Zoo Store Keeper tricked me into buying 3 Djungarians for one Cage (i know I should have researched beforehand). I had to separate them after 2 days and had to buy more cages... Now my little Flat looks like I'm breeding rodents and I have to clean every day, BUT they are adorable, run onto my Hand when I hold it in the Cage and they don't bite.
Also their fur went from Grey-ish in Autumn to Snowball-white in Winter to brown-grey in Sommer, very nice.
>>
File: 1441666630973.jpg (207KB, 1099x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1441666630973.jpg
207KB, 1099x1176px
>>2175722
>Do hamster breeds really have different "personality" traits?

Short answer: Yes. As do all rodents. Even insects have varying personalities.

Specifically, I always have 2 gerbils. For the last 20 years, I've always kept a pair. I've seen many, many personalities under my roof. The 2 I have right now are a scaredy cat that eats too much and doesn't exercise, and one I call "the architect" because she spends all day creating structures above and below the aspen with anything I giver her. She's visibly smarter and bitchier than her cagemate.
>>
So I'm thinking of building a rodent cage out of a 1/4inch to 1/8inch wire mesh. I was gonna use pvc as the main support and structure and I'd use a really low plastic bin, like the under bed ones for the floor. Would it be an okay cage?
>>
>>2177121
They would probably chew on the PVC.
>>
>>2177127
Yeah, I was gonna put the mesh inside the pvc, not on the outside and epoxy or silicone it on. They shouldn't be able to get to the pvc if I do that way.
>>
>>2177129
I wouldn't glue. Youd be surprised what they can get too.
Maybe "lace" the mesh to the PVC with something like bailing wire?
>>
>>2177133
The wire comes in long rolls so I could probably just wrap it around the pvc . I'm not gonna use all 100ft on this project. I think I'll just build a wood frame using seconds and just nail the shit in, or screw it into the pvc.
>>
>>2177127

ayup. Metal (not like flimsy mesh sheets, but sturdy metal that won't bend), ceramic, and glass (only if they can't get their mouth around it). Anything else that can be chewed, *might* be chewed. Depends on the rodent. I've had some that chewed, and some that didn't. But there's no point in making something that can't withstand it.

Speaking of, someone needs to make metal tunnel tubes. Dunno who the idiots are that keep making plastic ones.
>>
>>2177287
Nothings stopping you from doing it yourself anon they make sizes all the way up to 3 inches for pipe.
>>
>>2177303

I could probably get it cut at the hardware store. Not sure about sanding down the edges, though. I wonder if a dremmel could handle that with any sort of efficiency ...
>>
>>2177307
Depends on the metal, but you're most likely gonna get brass or steel, both of which you can sand by hand.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.