[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a new puppy yesterday, six weeks and 5.2 pounds, and took

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

I got a new puppy yesterday, six weeks and 5.2 pounds, and took it to the vet today for a checkup and shots. It was a walk-in clinic so the vet saw us, gave the dog a shot and squirted some medicine in it's mouth and we were out the door in two minutes.

They gave us a pill to give the dog and when to bring her back in. The pill just said to give it to her once a month, so I crushed it up in her food when I got back home.

Come to find out when they called us back to tell her she had roundworms, they said that she wouldn't need the pill until Saturday. But she seemed fine, so I thought it wasn't that bad.

Now it's been 10 hours and she's been vomiting. She refuses food, drinks a bit but she vomits out the water as well and she shits out nothing but water. I'm worried about the dog becoming dehydrated, and wonder if she'll be okay long enough to take her to the vet in the morning or if I should just take her to the emergency vet.
>>
>>2175560
I wouldn't risk it. I would take her in, but I'm naturally paranoid. the situation sounds horrible, though.
>>
If its been that long and she cant keep anything down best to just take her to the emergency vet. That actually sounds like parvo. Best of luck.
>>
>>2175575

Oh, she hasn't been vomiting for 10 hours. It's just been 10 hours since I've given her the pill.

She's only been doing this is the past hour and a half.
>>
https://discord.gg/9dYUU6C
>>
>>2175576

Well when it comes to a puppy its better to be safe than sorry.
http://herepup.com/dog-vomiting-water/
>>
>>2175579

The link helps. I was trying to make it drink water to help replenish it. I'm taking it to the vet regardless, just wanted to get some input on if it was serious enough to not wait four more hours.

For now, she's sleeping and it was only clear water.
>>
>>2175581

Glad it helped and if shes resting sounds like she will be ok for 4 more hours. Hope for the best.
>>
>>2175560
>six weeks puppy
>>
Puppy seems fine this morning. She's back to her usual ball of energy self.

She drank a lot of water this morning, and I managed to get her to eat after several attempts. Maybe she doesn't like the wood floors, she was attempting to eat on them but kept sliding. She finally ate when I moved the plate to the rug.

Not groggy, no vomiting, and she's eating again.

Think I'm in the clear.
>>
>6 weeks
enjoy your developmentally delayed, emotionally stunted, basket case dog, op
>>
>>2175681
>>2175605

Go on.
>>
>>2175696
>>2175696
6 weeks is too little for a puppy to be taken away from momma. Expect lots of behavioral issues as thr little girl grows up.
>>
>>2175696
The legal minimum before you can adopt a puppy in most western countries is 8 weeks for a reason, man. They NEED their littermates and mom.
>>
>>2175707

Oh, I guess Michigan falls under that law too. Should I not have told the vet we bought it off facebook?
>>
>>2175710
The vet probably just thinks you're a fucking moron. They make take action against the breeder if you told them enough though.
>>
>>2175715

I just said it was on facebook, he asked how many were in the litter and how many I had to choose from.
>>
>>2175681

I can't believe it took 10 posts for that to show up.

I had a 5 week old. Her mom died, and I had a home available. She is 14 months now. She is very untrusting, even of me, and uses her mouth a lot more than she should. She licks, nibbles, gnaws at your hand (gently, of course), and loves getting her mouth in your face. She was SnappyMcSnapface until she was 8 months old. You could not pet her with her snipping at your hand (she wasn't trying to do damage, more of just a precaution). To this day, she will not relax around people enough to cuddle. She can't behave on the bed because of those same jerky, paranoid behaviors ...

Anyway, compared to her brother who is a purebred of the same breed that I took in at 9 weeks, it is night and day. He is so, so much better behaved. But that doesn't mean she is a lost cause. She is a good girl. She is quirky enough (and was a nightmare to raise that first year) that I will never do that again. But it wasn't so bad as to say all dogs taken early should be written off. They could just be a lot better if left with their mom until 8 weeks
>>
>>2175853
>But it wasn't so bad as to say all dogs taken early should be written off.
The average moron (and even the average /an/-goer) already can''t take care properly nor train properly a 12 weeks pup gotten from a top quality breeder that also follows all the time, asks for news, recommends breeders, diets, exercises, toys, etc.
Nobody here is going to be able to take care of a pup under 8 weeks properly and have it turn out like any other dog.
So yes, for the purpose of this, no, no, no, don't bother taking in a dog under 8 weeks, give it away to a professional.
>>
>>2175853

>>2175853

>it took 10 posts in a potentially life-threatening topic before someone condescendingly brought up a unproven idea about puppy-rearing because of a minute, unrelated detail of the OP

Woah, /an/ sure has changed.

By the by, correlation does not prove causation.
>>
>>2176736
>unproven

Please stop replying to anything on /an/ since your spreading of misinformation is going to end up hurting animals.
>>
>>2176736
>unproven idea
>tons of books about the subject
>noticeable behavior differences in dogs given away to early

Fuck sakes man even animal shelters won't let you take puppies early.
>>
>>2176736
I havent been to /an/ in like a year...

this used to be a board where extremely nice and caring people posted... so far all I see are /b/ sounding idiots.

it sucks, guess I need to find a new place to ask about animals
>>
>>2175696
Dogs learn valuable social skills from their mom and litter mates. Seperating a pup from its litter too early can result in a poorly socialized dog.
>>
>>2177081

You must have not been on /an/ very long at all. It's always been full of both retarded assholes and assholes who will tell you painful truths that you need to hear.
>>
>>2177097

Meh, the problem with /an/ is the attitude. It fine to help other people and correct them if they're screwing up. That happens on all forums. But /an/ has an insane ego and are completely rabid about their views on veganism, declawing, dog food, and everything else under the sun ... you generally shouldn't be told to go kill yourself for feeding your dog Puppy Chow instead of Blue Wilderness.

In that sense, this place is very reminiscent of the /b/ attitude. Which makes sense. Most people discover the 4chan domain because they hear about /b/, then trickle out to the smaller boards. Most everyone on /an/ came from /b/.
>>
>>2177290
You should kys for feeding Blue because the company has garbage quality control and it will make your dog/cat sick.

And this is 4chan. If you don't like that kind of attitude then fuck off back to a hugbox like Reddit. It has nothing to do with your /b/ boogyman. It had everything to do with this just being 4chan.
>>
If the pill was trifexis, its likely your pup had a reaction to it. Vomitting it up is extremely common in pups under 4 months of age.

>>2177293
This. /an/ has always been this way. In fact, it was one of the few boards that had maintained a semblance of the older 4chan for the longest time.
>>
>>2177298

"It has always been this way" has never been a valid excuse for any anything in the entire history of the world. It's a cop-out for people too stubborn to change for the better.
>>
>>2177310
Change for the better? Almost everyone on here except for dumb cucks like you are here because of the way it is. Don't expect us to change because BIG MEAN 4CHAN IS BULLYING ME.

If you don't like how it is here, then go find somewhere that you like. Most of us are here because we like how it is. Fuck off already.
>>
>>2177313

Oh, please. For a bunch of racist assholes that always talk about black people "chimping out", 4chan sure chimps the fuck out about everything. Every /an/ thread over 10 posts has at least 10 people whigging out about something trivial. That's not a trait I would take pride in, let alone loudly demand people go somewhere else if they don't like it.
>>
>>2177430 #
When we are exasperated, we type angrily on our keyboards, then forget about it afterwards. But when blacks chimp out, they start movements with people wanting to kill white people, wanting to forge history and then they go about sniping police.
>>
>>2177097
That is not true...

Look at the threads now, its all /b/, I have been gone for a long time though, and maybe youre just too new to /an/ but its definitely changed.

And im not talking about the advice given here, im talking about the quality of threads in general, the edgy posts, this shit was extremely rare on /an/ before. It was always agreed /an/ was full of retardedly nice people. Now its just retards.
>>
>>2177310
its also just flat out false that its "always been this way"

chances are if someone is saying this they are very recent posters.
>>
>>2177081

And I haven't been to /an/ for like 5 years. Not nearly as toxic as it used to be back then in my experience. Some shit posting now, but people were huge fucking dicks then and would personally attack you. Now they personally attack you but also give you useful advice along with it. Also consider that people grow up and view the content differently. Something that was funny when you were 15 is offensive and stupid at 20.
>>
>>2177621
just because I havent been here in a year doesnt mean i wasnt here for years before that, you know.... I hope that you realize that.

I have never seen /an/ be the board that personally attacks you, I have bene able to post personal information here with no worry
>>
It's ok, next time someone will make the same mistake and you 'll try to say something and they won't listen. Bonus points if it's someone from the family and you'll end up with one year of behavioral hell once again.
>>
The puppy is fine still btw, for anyone who was curious.
>>
>>2177688
>>2177621
>>2177081
>>2177097
>>2176736
>>2175681
Can someone post the peer reviewed scientifical journal article that backs up /an's/ basic assumption that if you get a puppy at x weeks it will be emotionally fucked up
>>
>>2180308
I picked mine up at 6 weeks and it's been great from the moment it came home.
I went to the breeder with a family member with lots of experience with owning and raising dogs. She's had 4 and raised each one from a puppy.

If she was comfortable with me talking a 6 week old home, then that's all I needed

Half of /an/ are insecure shit bull owners anyway
>>
>>2180308
No, science can only look at animal behaviors, not emotions.

The question of whether an animal would be behaviorally fucked up by early separation is extremely expensive and perhaps impossible for science to answer. Too many confounding variables in reality, and no particular way of testing it in a lab situation. Nor any reason to.
>>
Hey OP, I got a pup at 6 weeks as well before I knew jack shit about littermates and such.

Just start youtubing positive reinforcement, and as soon as the pup is in the clear to ne taken outside, start taking her places forshort periods and socializing.

My dog is three now, not fixed, but she doesn't have many issues. The worst she does is have a bit of doglike social anxiety, and doesn't really want to play with other dogs much.

Just prepare now and help her to learn the things she should have been learning from mom, otherwise it's just going to be that much harder when she's older.

Also, prep like it's a newborn and take her with you almost everywhere if you can. Make your car comfortable and a spot that she can sleep in. This will get her socialized while also giving you a chance to potty train properly. It's the one thing I regret not doing just because puppies really should never be left alone for long.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.