[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 307
Thread images: 80

File: FrogEye.jpg (363KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FrogEye.jpg
363KB, 800x600px
old thread >>2162750

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
File: snake-wallpaper-6.jpg (200KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
snake-wallpaper-6.jpg
200KB, 1280x800px
>>
File: TokayEye.jpg (202KB, 800x640px)
TokayEye.jpg
202KB, 800x640px
>>
File: crestieeye.jpg (68KB, 550x358px) Image search: [Google]
crestieeye.jpg
68KB, 550x358px
>>
Question from other thread as didn't get an answer - what's the best way to transport a beardie in a short car journey? a blacked out box with air holes maybe?

also, the offical RSPCA caresheet says this

>There are many options of substrates for bearded
dragons. With healthy adult dragons, sand substrate or
a sand/soil mixture can be used. Always use reptile-safe
sand such as clean children’s play sand rather than
builders’ sand which has sharp edges.

Is impaction really just a big meme? I mean these guys are legit
>>
File: 21706763851_5dfb53896e_k.jpg (2MB, 2048x1498px) Image search: [Google]
21706763851_5dfb53896e_k.jpg
2MB, 2048x1498px
general threads are bullshit and the OP picture is a plastic toy.
>>
>>
>>2173916
a pillowcase
no sand
they don't know anything about sand or lizards
>>
>>2173917

yeah i know. it still looks cool tho.

>>2173916

Transport: put beardie in a snake bag, then but bag in to box with crumpled newspaper inside for padding.

Sand is not good for bearded dragons for a wide variety of reasons, impaction only being one of many.
>>
>>2173919
>>2173920
>clearly states sand/soil mixture, which accurately represents the substrate of its natural environment
>immediately gets triggered at sand, fails at reading the rest and prepares the post with foam coming out of his mouth
>>
File: frogeyegecko.jpg (92KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
frogeyegecko.jpg
92KB, 1280x850px
these frog eyed geckos are so cute.
>>
>>2173922
>sand substrate OR

it didn't just say sand/soil mix.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for YouTube channels?
>>
File: 9173598854_788dd398e8_k.jpg (1MB, 2048x1362px) Image search: [Google]
9173598854_788dd398e8_k.jpg
1MB, 2048x1362px
>>2173922
sure thing bro
>>
>>2173926
I recommend you learn how to fucking read
>>
>>2173928

Such majestic magnificence
>>
>>2173929
I'm asking for youtube channels with content relating to reptiles and amphibians.

I'm sorry, I thought the fact that I was asking here specifically would make that clear enough.
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 601x601px
Question from old thread:
What all should a beardie have in its tank to keep it from getting bored? Do they get bored, or are they content with a life of basking and running around once in a while
>>
>>2173802
Please answer this, I don't know if I should be worried or not.
>>
>>2173964
Honestly just give it a few different places to be lazy on
mine just sits on his ass all day, only moving to other places to sit on his ass, or to eat.
however I do take him out, put him on my bed, and have him hunt mealworms for exercise
>>
Per OP, why are PVC cages better in most circumstances? I realize they help with the higher humidity tanks due to lack of ventilation. There being only one viewable angle also to help with stress I understand.

But what about things like Leopard Geckos or Bearded Dragons where you want humidity low? Wouldn't these cages be counter productive?
>>
>>2174044
they just hold humidity, not necessarily have high humidity
if you don't introduce humidity it wont retain any

they're also a whole helluva lot lighter than glass tanks are, and they hold heat better which you definitely need
>>
>>2173965

How long have you had the gecko and did it always have the kink in the tail?
>>
>>2174050

I ask because it isn't all that uncommon for leos to be born with a single slight kink in the tail like that. Your leo looks healthy from the pics. Just feed appropriately dusted/gutloaded insects and it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2174050
I got her a month ago, and as far as I know, she's had it all her life.
>>2174058
Holy fuck, thank you, I just wanted to be sure...
>>
>>2174044
>But what about things like Leopard Geckos or Bearded Dragons where you want humidity low? Wouldn't these cages be counter productive?
you still want it higher than ambient air conditioned human house, so no, it's still very helpful
>>
>>2173944
>I'm asking for youtube channels with content relating to reptiles and amphibians
yeah, and you should learn how to read big boy websites instead of insisting on youtube
>>
>>2174066

Cool. I actually have an old visions cage when I had a ball python 20 or so years ago. I'll probably use that. That or try to make my own from 1/2" vinyl sheet.
>>
I have two Leo geckos at the moment 1 is really friendly and the other is a dickhead lol
Thinking about getting a savannah monitor and definitely gonna get another beardie (my other is now gone) anyone have any experience with monitors?
>>
>>2174133
Only have worked with ackies before. Ackies are awesome. Big monitor personality in little monitor package.
>>
>>2174068
Why so snippy, anon? Other anon was just asking about reptile channels on youtube.

Speaking of which, the only two i watch regularly are viperkeeper and kamp kenan. The first is a guy who has been keeping venomous snakes for 25+ years and is always filled with interesting information and funny stories. Kamp kenan is primarily focused on tortoises.
>>
>>2174149
Wow looks sweet, how large is their habitat? That's my main issue with a savannah right now
>>
File: 01.jpg (1MB, 2200x2500px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
1MB, 2200x2500px
it's her birthday guys.
>>
File: 2016-07-22 21.15.48.jpg (566KB, 1947x1883px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-22 21.15.48.jpg
566KB, 1947x1883px
this little shit is in shed again
>>
>>2174161
Usually 2' x 3' for ackies. 18" tall. You can go bigger if you wish. They are very active and will make full use of extra space.

>>2174315
Happy birfday!!!
>>
I recently purchased my first reptile (crocodile skink) two days ago. He hasn't eaten anything since I got him (been putting crickets in his terrarium, but not leaving them in as I read they will nibble on him). When should I be nervous that he is not eating?
>>
>>2174428
>When should I be nervous that he is not eating?
when you realize that they mainly eat slow food such as worms, snails, mealworms and caterpillars

why would you get yourself a crocodile skink as a first reptile anyway? they are shy and harder to keep than the beginner species
>>
>>2174428
>>2174430

yeah switch to mealworms in a bowl until he starts eating. the process of putting in crickets then fishing them out is going to stress him out and probably prolong the hunger strike.

It's not unusual for them to go 1 week+ without eating after move to a new home.
>>
File: IMG_1933.png (2MB, 1317x984px)
IMG_1933.png
2MB, 1317x984px
what kind of toad is this?
found him (her?) under our deck.
>>
File: 20160710_124233_HDR.jpg (587KB, 1449x1765px) Image search: [Google]
20160710_124233_HDR.jpg
587KB, 1449x1765px
>>2174149
Ackies da bes
>>
File: 20160724_194406.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160724_194406.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2173916

Update: Got him home safe and sound seems to be settling in. Posted in other thread saying how they had been feeding him only locusts and how I'm going to try and improve his diet. He ate a few little bits of carrot straight away! Heres a pic. He's a big boy.

The viv is from them as well but it looks a bit small. Do you guys agree? i'm going to move him to a bigger one anyway.
>>
File: 20160708_161956_HDR.jpg (155KB, 825x637px) Image search: [Google]
20160708_161956_HDR.jpg
155KB, 825x637px
>ackies dont climb they said
>mfw all my ackie fucking does is climb
>>
>>2174496
cute af
>>
>>2174497
That's a Yellow Ackie btw. Cheaper and easier to get than Reds. Literally the same animal besides being a subspecies with slightly different colors. Calm as fuck too. Wouldn't ever wish for a different species.
>>
>>2174485
>>2174496
ackies are amazing. do you have a pic of the entire tank?
>>
File: 20160612_145811.jpg (772KB, 2048x1152px)
20160612_145811.jpg
772KB, 2048x1152px
I was given a corn snake by a family friend who said he was 5 years old. hes a little over 3 feet long and weighs a wopping 834 grams which seems like way too much for a 3 foot long corn snake though I wouldnt say hes fat, im not sure if "fat" snakes seem doughy or anything but he seems very muscular and has the "loaf of bread" shaped cross section which is what ive been told is ideal. so idk if hes a hybrid or just a big boy. its just that most other corns ive seen pics of are much more slenderly built than he is. Anyone have any ideas? (this is him in a box as we were weighing him
>>
>>2174508
wait wrong pic but you guys get the idea
>>
>>2174443
How many should I put in the bowl at once?
>>
File: barebones.png (302KB, 452x299px) Image search: [Google]
barebones.png
302KB, 452x299px
>>2174504
This is the barebones version of the cage with most of the additional plants and hides removed. It's 3 ft tall, 2ft deep, and 3 feet wide.
Humidty ~ 50-60%
Ambient temp = 80
Highest Temp = 120
>>
>>2174515

They won't deliberately over eat so a handful is fine. You could count them if you really wanna keep tabs on if they're being eaten or not.
>>
File: Cane-Toad.jpg (126KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
Cane-Toad.jpg
126KB, 600x398px
>>2174481

looks like a bufo to me but i'm not completely sure. toads aren't my wheelhouse.
>>
>>2174491

yeah that's a bit on the small side.
>>
>Hand feeding vs free hunting
Is it better to hand feed your herp (with a pair of tongs and the like) or is it better to drop food into the tank and let your herp hunt/chase its food
I have a leapord gecko and she doesent mind either way, but I always feed her the same amount of food (~10 medium sized meal worms) every day. She also is acustomed to hearing the metal tongs click together when there is food around.

My question is, if I were to get another herp in a seperate tank, should I feed it by hand or just drop food in and let it hunt?
>>
>>2174591

doesn't matter although hand feeding will get old for you soon enough. with mealworms and superworms, put them in a smooth sided bowl they can't escape.
>>
>>2174508
Corn snakes are usually more slender than that so it could be overweight
>>
>>2174591
Believe me, a herp that relies on hand feeding is a herp you will WISH would hunt on its own.
>>
File: image.png (205KB, 628x586px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
205KB, 628x586px
>>2174591
Prepare their food in front of the tank so they see it and still get excited, then either put the bowl in their line of view or toss the bugs in for them to chase. Handfeeding is a pain in the ass
>>
>>2174690
all of my insectivores lost their enthusiasm for it once they were two or three years old. now, if they're even awake at usual feeding time (7pm), they'll glance at the bug bowl briefly then resume lazy mode. makes me feel like a bellboy dropping off room service sometimes. 'k, thanks, hi, just leave that over there'
>>
I know that a good reptile pro is hard to find. I've got a good online source, not free but not expensive. Interested? Bad advice is easy to find, especially on 4chan.
>>
>>2174712
fuck off
>>
>>2174508
I want to say that snake is fat, but it looks like I can still see spine definition, so I have no idea
>>
>>2174712
Go away
>>
>>2174770
thats what threw me. he doesnt show the signs of being fat hes just huge for a corn
>>
>>2174776
maybe they fed him really good and he got lots of exercise?
my family has a boston terrier, and those are normally pretty dainty dogs but he's HUGE because he gets to run around in a big backyard with a border collie all day and eats as much as he wants
>>
>>2174785
What if they trained it like the guy from /fit/ with his cat?
>>
>>2174770
Overweight snakes will have indented backs, too. Instead of muscles standing out, it's more like a dip into the back.

Honestly the corn looks rather overweight to me. They should be more round-ish rather than the top being spread out like that. There also appears to be some scale separation. I can't tell if there's any hips or not, that area is kinda gray. If the snake already appears overweight, then internally they're probably obese, since snakes store the majority of their fat internally. A lot of times you can't even tell externally they're overweight and they could still die from fatty liver disease, if they've also got a good muscle formation.
>>
I want to get back into snakes and such /an/ so where do you guys get all your stuff? (E.g. PVC tanks, hides, food) I'm willing to spend the money, but I've always been leery of buying stuff from chain stores. Are there particular sites you favor? Particular species you recommend? I have some snake experience but nothing extreme. Don't know much about lizards though. I'm going to be moving to VA soon and I should have my own place to start up again.
>>
>>2174903
I buy all my enclosures on Craigslist
>>
>>2174971
Yep that's a good idea. Also check the classified sites listed in OP as those have sections for used equipment too.
>>
What the fuck.

My baby pacman frog just died in my hand, it was the strangest thing ever. I just got back from a 2-day vacation, and I was checking on all of my pets, everybody seemed fine until I got to my little frog. He had been buried halfway in the dirt like pacmen do, but me messing with the other enclosures must have stirred him out of his hiding spot.

So he was hiding in a pot, and I went in to pick him up, and in the palm of my hand he just stretched his arms and legs out straight, went stiff, closed his eyes and opened his mouth. Then he went limp and is now dead. This literally happened like a minute ago and he's just fucking dead now...

What the fuck happened? I did notice that he seems pretty bloated and hasn't shit for a few days, and I figured he'd let it loose by the time I got home from vacation but it is still in there. I'm gu3ssing it had something to do with that, but I don't know why it would cause him to seize up and die.

What happened?
>>
concerning the wait a week before messing with a new herp, how am i supposed to clean out his viv?
>>
File: IMG_1805.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1805.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2174903
I like the Animal Plastics enclosures I have, very good customer service and mid-range prices for high quality cages. Hides I mainly use empty food containers for babies and buy RBI hides for bigger snakes.

I buy all my food from Big Cheese, but I'll also buy from Layne Labs and Perfect Prey if any of them happen to be out of something I need.

Species totally depends on you and your preferences. If you could give us some qualities you're looking for, that would make it a ton easier to recommend you something.

That said I'm rather partial to boa constrictors, and they come in a variety of sizes from 3'-9'.

>>2174986
Just clean it. Try to disturb the snake as little as possible, and clean the enclosure quickly. I'd leave it alone if it hasn't peed/pooped or dumped a water dish, though.
>>
File: IMG_3256.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3256.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Who else /bluetongue/ here?
>>
>>2174986
That refers to direct interaction hands on with your snake. Cleaning is fine to do whenever.
>>
>>2174975
Hard to say. Frog may have been sick for a while and had no obvious signs. It could have been a seizure or organ failure or impaction. You would have to take it to a vet for autopsy to find out exact cause.
>>
>>2175153
I wish
I'm still torn between a beardie a bts and a uromastyx
they're all pretty neat but I just don't have the space
>>
>>2175160
>space

haha, i too know this feel. I know my reptile keeping hobby may be getting out of hand when i start eyeing up my couch and thinking I could toss it out and put a couple large vivs in the space it currently occupies.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I just moved my rat snake to a bigger eclosure and he really seems to like it! I got the vivarium and the base for just 70$.

And he's growing fast. He gets about half his meal in weight per week. He's still only 2'4'' though.
>>
File: image.jpg (1000KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1000KB, 3264x2448px
>>2175265
Here he is.
>>
For those who own Ackie Monitors, have you been bit? I imagine they're large enough to actually break the skin?

I was only bit by my ball python once and it barely made me bleed. Only a couple teeth went deep enough. Just curious how a smaller monitor would compare.
>>
Hey i have two leopard geckos (one male, one female) housed in the same tank and i'm pretty sure the female is going to lay eggs soon.
I have her a decent laying spot and an incubator ready if it does happen. my problem is what do i do with the babies once they are grown enough to be sold? where is the best place to sell reptiles if you are not a big breeder or anything, just a guy with two baby geckos?
>>
>>2175517
if you don't breed some fancy morph that is sure to find takers, don't hatch the eggs

seriously, the market is so oversaturated with leos/beardies/ball pythons, it doesn't need more
>>
>>2175518
not even on like craigs list or something for really cheap?
its not like my leos are an investment or anything i just thought it would be cool because i've never hatched something before
>>
>>2175401
Pretty much any monitor can break the skin. I saw a hatchling water monitor clamp onto the end of someones finger and it just started dripping blood.
Depends a lot on where they get you too.
>>
>>2175519
if you give them away cheap/for free it'll just lead to retards picking them up and killing the leos in record time

I know it's tempting to hatch your own, but it's really better to not create more unwanted/suffering pets
>>
>>2175080
Well I don't know if I'm particularly for/ready to handle something that gets up to 9'. Something probably closer to the 3'-6'' is what I'm more familiar with. I've had Corns before(years ago) and helped a friend take car of his Ball Python and Boa Constrictor when I stayed with them for a bit if that helps. Behavior wise, I'd lean more towards docile. Maybe something with interesting patterns/colouring.

As for something like Skinks, Small Monitors, etc. I'm not sure. I've always enjoyed snakes more so my knowledge of them isn't as great. I hope this helps.
>>
Posted earlier in the thread about picking up a beardie from some people who've fed it on locusts and no salad, think it's a bit worse than I thought.

I've offered him greens constantly every day, he won't touch them. From what I know he's around 2 years old and I don't think he's ever been given greens. But i've had to go back to giving him his hoppers as I'm scared he's starving.

Should I miss a day of live food and just keep the salad there and hope he touches it?

Also, I was eating my food and as soon as he seen me eating he charged at the glass as though he recognised human food? Do they normally do this or do you think the previous owner gave him there food (i hope not) and he recognises people eating as food for himself.
>>
>>2175861
Maybe the old owners had him in an open area, where he could visualize them eating food. And they set his eating scheduel close to theirs. So whenever he sees you eat, he is expected to get some food as well.
Kinda like how dogs respond to visual commands and expect a treat
>>
>>2175822
Carpet pythons then. Specially Cheynei who are the smallest and more beautiful.
>>
>>2175861

One thing you can try is Repashy Veggie Burger. It's a powder you mix with water to make a jello kinda thing. Beardies usually like it. You will have to hand feed it at first as they may not recognize it as edible. If you can get them to open their mouth a little and lick it, they usually get the idea from there. If beardy takes to it, mix pieces of it in with greens in the food bowl. Also toss a few mealworms/superworms in the same bowl to get the feeding response rustling.
>>
>>2175918
>If you can get them to open their mouth a little and lick it, they usually get the idea from there

this sentence came out more lewd than intended.
>>
>>2174315
happy birthday snek
>>
>>2175517
>>2175518
Honestly, I think using the lizards or eggs as food for another reptile would be the best option.

Make use of what you have, circle of life, etcetc.
>>
>>2175822
Tarahumara Mexican Mountain Boas; they're one of the smallest BCI localities (3~5 feet). They've got awesome personalities as well- a really adorable hiss sometimes.

I have a pair I got from cutting edge herp, but I know there are other small-sized locality boas which could fall in your 3~6 foot range.
>>
Leopard geckos are just so fucking cute.
>>
File: IMG_1380.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1380.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2175822
Then you could get a Tarahumara, Crawl Cay, Caulker Cay, or Nicaraguan locality boa constrictor. They average 3'-5'. The smaller localities are known for being bitey, but there are exceptions. Colombians are very laid back, but unfortunately you couldn't be guaranteed the snake stays 6' or smaller even if you get a male. My 5 year old is already 6.5' and still growing. Pic related, he looks so teeny.

The only other decent-sized, mostly docile snake I've got experience with are rainbow boas, but they're not as hardy as other snakes and require unusually high humidity and low temperatures. That should be simple to provide with the right set up but not everyone is willing to do all the work required.

I don't have experience with these snakes, but look into Kenyan sand boas, Children's pythons (anything Antaresia really), smaller carpet pythons, and stuff like that. It's really really hard to get something in the 3'-6' range that isn't pretty much always going to be on the smaller end of the scale.
>>
File: fedex.png (12KB, 702x256px)
fedex.png
12KB, 702x256px
is there something im not seeing because of the 1 hour time difference between miami and memphis and my own retardation or is this a fed ex fuck up?
>>
>>2176280
Other small interesting snakes are Sand Boas and Western Hognose.
Carpet Pythons get longer than some Boa localities but are cheaper. Be careful of the Jaguar morphs because they are a bit retarded like Spider Ball Pythons.
>>
>>2175822
Additional snek recommend is woma pythons. They're very chill but also active. 4.5-5.5 average length but can get a bit bigger than that. Definitely meets criteria of cool pattern. They're aussie so let's get that pronunciation right; why-ma pythin.
>>
>>2176308
I did mention Kenyan sand boas which are the most common sand boas available in captivity, and I didn't mention hognose snakes because of their mild venom (which can cause rather severe anaphalactic shock in some people, and can seriously fuck with anyone who has diabetes, causing serious secondary infections that could be life threatening) and tendency to refuse food.
>>
>>2175870
>>2175918

Thanks guys, sounds like a good idea i'll defenitely try it!
>>
>>2176362
I mean, hognose is venomous the same way a bee sting is venomous. I've never heard of anything relating to Hognose venom regarding diabeetus.
>>
So if I want to buy a tube fixture, I need to have it inside the tank, but how do i stick it to the side? Tape?
>>
Best reptile that's 6in snout to vent and can fit in a 3ft length 2ft height and 2ft width tank?

Kind of want a blue tongue, but the friendliest one get too big I think:(
>>
File: giant boil.jpg (77KB, 692x1153px) Image search: [Google]
giant boil.jpg
77KB, 692x1153px
>>2176438
It's not common, since hoggies rarely bite, but people with diabetes are prone to worse infections in general. This is an infection that set into a person with diabetes after being bit by a hognose.
>>
>>2176700
various gecko species and anoles although not sure how anyone but a leo would do in a 2ft high enclosure
>>
>>2176717
Just pop it
>>
>>2176786
I was thinking of a gargoyle gecko
>>
>>2176700
fire skink bruddah
>>
>>2176674

you can buy fixtures that sit on the screen top. if mounting inside a glass aquarium, a set of high strength adhesive pads is the best bet; like the kind that come on the back of wall hooks.

if it's wood or pvc, drill holes and use screws.
>>
File: rankins-dragon.jpg (72KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
rankins-dragon.jpg
72KB, 1280x853px
>>2176818

you could but that is fuck huge for a garg.

how about a rankins dragon? they are a dwarf species of beardie.
>>
File: amazon.png (27KB, 1143x199px) Image search: [Google]
amazon.png
27KB, 1143x199px
found this while looking for a CHE for turtle basking spot
What is it about this guys typing that makes it sound so odd.
>>
>>2176907
autism probably
>>
>>2176907
he sounds like some wannabe blogger
>>
>>2176811
That's what they did. It took 2 or 3 sessions to get it drained, the skin had to be cut off, they had to be on antibiotics, their arm had to be wrapped, and they will probably have a very large scar from it.
>>
File: image.jpg (152KB, 750x807px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 750x807px
>Have Crested
>Shit loads of grapevine and cork bark
>Fully planted vivarium, fuck fake plants
>plenty of shit to climb
>Always climbs around on the mesh roof
>Bruh why?

Pic related he's falling off the roof
>>
>>2176857
I think i'm going to go with adhesives
>>
>>2176857
>>2176973
What? No. Hot-glue or Great Stuff that shit. Sticky adhesives, if the herp (especially reptiles like snakes who constantly explore to escape) can fuck up their skin pretty bad.
>>
>>2176975

I've got a bearded dragon, I have a breeder tank and she isn't going near the fixture / adhesive
>>
>>2176990
Sticky wears down over time and could fall off. Glues or bonding agents are much better than sticky adhesives.
>>
>>2176998

Alrighty, i'll go with glue.

Also, on a another matter:

My beardie sometimes closes her one eye for a few seconds then reopens it

Her eyes don't look swollen, would you recomend I take her to a vet for a checkup?

I think this may be a case of bad UVB from my MVB
>>
>>2177006

that's pretty normal bearded dragon behaviour. post a pic of eye?
>>
File: IMG_20160728_1908362.jpg (3MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_1908362.jpg
3MB, 4896x3672px
>>2177712

She was napping, camera work her up
>>
File: IMG_20160728_1909166.jpg (4MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_1909166.jpg
4MB, 4896x3672px
>>
>>2177006
They do it to pretend you aren't there.
>>
>>2177809

looks fine. no worries.
>>
Anyone knows if Fallopia japonica is safe with geckos? I've been reading dried branchers can be used for egg laying, but can't find anywhere about live plant.
>>
>>2177993
>>2177998

Thanks guys!
>>
>>2178273
If it's not listed on the unsafe for reptiles plant list (google) you should be fine.
>>
>>2178310
Thanks, its not
>>
>>2178310

Do you know if anyone has made an unsafe for reptiles, cats, and dogs list? I started trying to compare lists but it's going slow.
>>
>>2178398
For cats and dogs it's pretty much just air freshener, soap, dryer sheets, laundry detergent and perfume. Limit use and never put perfumed soap on these animals.
This isn't law or anything but enjoy your piss puddles next to your glade plug in.
Sorry for being rat man but modern perfume has become so fucking toxic that a good spraying can kill your animal or cause severe health and behavior problems, like pissing/shitting/vomiting in your house and destructive behavior.
>>
File: hot lizard.webm (699KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
hot lizard.webm
699KB, 240x240px
>>
So we got some iguanas in our store a while back, I posted pictures of them
and so out of the 6 we received, at this point, 4 of them are dead and one of them is likely to die due to some unknown cause.
The vet we took them too said that they died because they didn't have enough humidity

now yeah they didnt have enough humidity, they get misted once in the morning and then one or two more times if I happen to be there and have the free time to do so. But the ball pythons don't get misted either, the cresties dont get misted, the fucking red eyed tree frog doesnt get misted and they're all just fine

I had one returned today, one of the first ones sold, told me it had dropped dead last night

so I'm thinking the vet is feeding us a lie because he probably doesn't know whats wrong and our store won't shell out the cash for actual tests or a necropsy.

Any ideas what might cause 5 iguanas to just waste away and die over the course of like a week?
>>
>>2178851
1) misting doesn't provide humidity

2) iguanas aren't ball pythons or red-eyed tree frogs, these guys are known for being delicate, and humidity could 100% be the problem

That said, it could also be likely they were wild caught or riddled with parasites. Only a necropsy could give you a hope of knowing.
>>
>>2178851
different herps need different humidity levels and misting only provides a very short term rise in humidity if the enclosure they are in evaporates it or doesnt hold it in.

Although death from lack of humidity seems fishy unless they werent getting any water(note they drink fairly rarely so their water comes from the air and food) unles their kidneys dried out id be kinda doubtful as long as you can maintain it at 50% humidity at the least since they need 80%

Was their diet good and not that shitty pellet shit?
Did they have proper lighting?
Were they wild caught or bred, if wild they could have been filled with all sorts of shit like >>2178903 said
Were they showing signs of stress and were they ever given a chance to get away from it?
>>
>>2178910
i want to say it has to be parasites
but I would say stress is also a probable factor, like the shitty chain store we are there were 6 of them crammed into a 20 gallon space

the food and water wasn't a problem, we always made sure the water was full and they had fresh veggies
I know I said "misting" but whenever I did it I made sure to get the eco earth substrate actually moist

we didnt order them in the first place so i know my manager wont order more, so I'm just hoping that corporate sends us the tarantulas and scorpions we've been wanting instead
>>
Sup /herp/, ive got a leapord geko question.
So ive never physically seen my geko drink water before, and I watch her all the time due to the fact I work from home. I have actually set up a small camera to record her during the night and even then i have not seen her drink anything.
However, when I clean and refill her water dish (just about every three days) it is filled to the brim for two days, but then it is just as if it has been boiled out and evaporated on the third. She is perfectly comfortable being handled and eats from her dish infront of me. So why dosent she drink any water?
>>
>>2178821

Poor guy :(
>>
>>2178969

She'll be fine I wouldn't get too worried about it. Do you ever mist her enclosure? If so she probably gets it from there. As for it dissapearing from the water bowl that could be the heatmat drying it out.
>>
>>2178969
Some leos don't consider standing water to be a viable drinking source. Many other geckos and lizards also have this tendency. They will get their water from licking water droplets off their decor. In your case, make sure you have a moist hide in the tank at all times. Gecko will lick the condensation off the inside walls.
>>
>>2179086

>Many other geckos and lizards also have this tendency.

This

My beardie would not drink water from a dish, I take her to a sink and put droplets of water onto her snout, or just give her a bath
>>
>>2179082
Now that I think about it, the dish is right next to the heat mat. Ill move it
Thanks much
>>
>>2179068
Nigga just wants some shade
>>
File: vpkpr.webm (2MB, 838x686px) Image search: [Google]
vpkpr.webm
2MB, 838x686px
>dodges a shit death.
Way to go, Al.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jEyjF2bNQOA
>>
>>2179158

viperkeeper makes a good point later in that video about thawing rodents in a plastic bag instead of straight in water. it keeps the scent on the mouse, which is something to keep in mind when you have a problem feeder. if snake is hesitant to take rodents thawed directly in water it might be beneficial to attempt the plastic bag thawing and see if that catches their attention a little better.
>>
>>2178821
>That lizard that ran like sonic the hedgehog
>>
>>2179398
You could also use a hot plate method.
Hot water in a bowl, ceramic plate on top, rat on plate. I've been having better success warming my rats that way rather than with warm water.
>>
>>2179398
>>2179443
I place my thawing rat on a paper towel directly under the CHE
this is probably actually an awful method but she eats them
>>
>>2179469
As in, straight from fridge to under CHE? That is quite bad. Cold spots are huge no bueno- you want to get it warmed up to the 85 degree range (some snakes can benefit if you get the head around 90 degrees)
>>
>>2179477
No, not straight to it, I let it thaw out normally before I stick it under it. I always check for cold spots before I feed it
>>
>tfw herpy.net is gone
>>
I'm building small vivarium. Can i use pine bark as background instead cork bark, if I clean it and bake it?
>>
>>2179158
If somebody else does that he'll be saying that they're idiots. Just stupid usual behaviour from him.
>>
>>2179664
cleaned with rep safe anti bacterial wash and baked in oven, will be fine
>>
Are there any ways of finding out if my beardie has parasites that are hindering its growth, without going to a vet if possible?

his fecal doesnt look like it has any works and looks alright
>>
>>2179810
Bring in a sample to vet and have them do a fecal exam. It shouldn't be expensive. You don't have to bring dragon along.
>>
>>2179839

Will do, thanks
>>
File: IMG_20160715_0907039.jpg (4MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160715_0907039.jpg
4MB, 4896x3672px
>>2179839

On a seperate matter, I can't tell if I have a bearded dragon or a rankins
>>
File: IMG_20160728_1405530.jpg (4MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_1405530.jpg
4MB, 4896x3672px
>>
File: IMG_20160728_1405572.jpg (4MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_1405572.jpg
4MB, 4896x3672px
>>
File: IMG_20160731_1324144.jpg (2MB, 3668x2620px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160731_1324144.jpg
2MB, 3668x2620px
>>
>>2179857
How old is he/she?

Judging by head shape alone, that looks like a bearded dragon to me. Rankins have less of a flare out at the neck, whereas beardies have that distinctive triangular wedge head shape.

In any event, you'll find out soon enough if/when you lizard blows past the max average weight and size of Rankins.
>>
>>2179857
don't be stupid, it's a bearded
>>
>>2179924
>>2179927

Thank you for clarifying!

Can we acknowledge the fact of how fucking cute Cinder is?!
>>
>>2179963
Maximum cute/10
>>
>>2179963

He looks so colorful, is that because he's a juvenile? I got my beardie as an adult and he's nowhere near that bright
>>
>>2179998

She is colorful, still a juvenile.

She hasn't shed for a few months and is about 8 inches.

little worried about her not shedding
>>
File: 20160731_165056.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160731_165056.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
Love my little snake

His head keeps getting a little dry though. Should I turn up the humidity?
>>
>>2180043

has it ever tried nomming on your finger?
>>
File: 20160707_020033.jpg (1MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160707_020033.jpg
1MB, 3984x2988px
>>2180048
Never bitten anyone. Probably the most docile ball ive dealt with ever
You could fuck with his head all day and he wouldnt even flinch
Love the little guy
>>
File: IMG_1846.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1846.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2180043
What are you keeping him at and how are you measuring it?

Also, I took this girl out today, she's been getting shots since her head randomly swelled up, and now that they're over with I decided she needed to stop associating handling with being stuck with a needle. She only struck 3 times, and nobody got bit. She is still by far my moodiest snake, though.
>>
File: $.jpg (31KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
$.jpg
31KB, 639x426px
>>2179865
Beardie
>>
>>2180237
I also want to point how how fucking retarded the person who took this picture is by having a beardie and a rankins next to eachother.

The image was grabbed from google images, but no matter how mellow the beardies temperat is, he should never be placed next to a smaller herp.b
>>
My elderly (13 years old) Bearded Dragon just took a shit that got me worried. She kept pushing and flexing her asshole near the end of it as if she wasn't done. No matter her pushes nothing came out, it just looked downright painful. It went on for about two minutes, I'm sure.
Is she okay? Is this a normal procedure for all old animals?
>>
>>2180618
How many cans of beer did it have last night?
>>
>>2180623
I appreciate the joke, but I am not an experienced pet owner. I got her from a friend and have only been caring for her for about a year. Either way, I gave her a bath to see if she felt like pooping in an easier pushing environment but she didn't. I'd guess she's fine, she seemed cheerful enough in the cosy water.
>>
>>2180651
Light colic though if you've never seen this before, could be bad but probably not. You should see what I go through every day. Empty shits also happen after diarrhea.
Take it to the vet if no shit for another couple hours, colic is pure fucking brutality and your animal will suffer to the highest extent. It's not exactly constipation but it can cause it.
I know nothing about reptiles but you asked for a guess so I did my best.
>>
>>2179158
i'm not sure how he has survived this long
>>
>>2174508
yes, that's a fat snake. you can even see the scales starting to separate.
>>
File: M3RNg57.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
M3RNg57.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>
>>2180706

viperkeeper has a very good record for bite evasion. in his FAQ video he says he has only received a serious life threatening bite once in all the years he's been working with venomous snakes. And that bite happened when he was a teenager.
>>
>>2180746
That is so damn cute.
>>
File: velcro.jpg (953KB, 1580x1656px) Image search: [Google]
velcro.jpg
953KB, 1580x1656px
Anyone have a better solution for securing this aquarium housing my corn snake? currently just 2 strips of velcro tape and I weigh it down with a big bag of aspen bedding.
>>
>>2180177
Keeping him in a mesh top 20 gallon with a humidifier and a large tub of water
I have it going off 4 times a day for 15 minutes at a time
Should I invest in a different set up?
Oh I use a dual thermometer/hygrometer
>>
>>2180938
A rock. Or tape.
>>
>>2180938
any pet/reptile store should sell clips
they're like $3
>>
I'm trying to get some tips on feeding my mexican milk snake when its burrowed in substrate. If she's in her toob, I can waggle the mause on one side and she'll eventually snatch it. But if I 'walk the mouse' around and tap on the substrate nothing will ever happen. If I poke around/agitate her, she'll never eat it. I think she was raised on pre-killed who just threw it in her rack and otherwise didn't interact with her.
>>
>>2180976
is 2 enough? or should I grab 4
>>
>>2180985
2 is fine
>>
>>2180968
Yeah I'd definitely do that, tubs are cheap and you can get one for $20 or under. Just heat it with heat tape or a heat pad, drill some holes, and you'll be fine. Some tubs do require additional security measures, but out of 6 tubs without extra security, over the past 3-4 years I've had 2 escapes and that's because I forgot to lock the latches on the tub. I just make sure to get the tubs that have latches on the end and a sturdy lid, and I've been fine. If the lid doesn't have latches, I'd definitely at least get something just in case, I had bungee cords stretched over the lid on an old tub set up, a cord on each end and the lid wouldn't budge.

Is the combo digital or analog, and where is it located, or where is the probe if it's digital?
>>
>>2180978
I always drop some of the water in which the rodent thawed in the snake's enclosure before I try to feed him. He'll usually stick his head or his whole body out because of the smell.
>>
File: image.jpg (625KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
625KB, 1536x2048px
I found a pair of barred tiger salamanders who weren't in very good shape down in this toxic ass basement I was clearing out. I've had them for a couple months now, and they're doing great. I really enjoy their company and how cute they are.
Anyone else wanna show some love for these little shits? Pic related.
>>
File: 20160802_022000.jpg (4MB, 2576x2117px)
20160802_022000.jpg
4MB, 2576x2117px
>>2181215
Cool colors. Which subspecies is it? Are they tame yet?

Here's my girl, Bo. Tiger salamanders are patrician af
>>
>>2181239
I'm not actually sure of the subspecies. They're really tame, they'll take food from my fingers and climb arms. Yeah I know you aren't really supposed to handle them. The one in my picture is R'lyeh since I found her in what we call the "C'thulhu basement". I couldn't get a picture on the male, Sancho, since he's a miserable little prick and just hides in the leaves and bites fingers.
>>
File: anon trains his palico.jpg (94KB, 1024x462px) Image search: [Google]
anon trains his palico.jpg
94KB, 1024x462px
>>2174813
This was confirmed fake I believe, but it's still amusing.
>>
>>2181243
What area do you live in? There are quite a few different species of tiger salamander
>>
File: no_salamander_map.gif (18KB, 396x187px) Image search: [Google]
no_salamander_map.gif
18KB, 396x187px
>>2181243
>>2181329
Pic related
>>
>>2181330
Interesting. I live in southern Alberta and didn't know there were any native salamander species here. There is also a small population of western hognose snakes in eastern Alberta; somehow they manage to survive the winters.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a turtle, which would be the best to get?
>>
>>2181154
I have it mid right on the bottom
And thanks anon
>>
>>2181566
>those 2 burmese at 2:15
hot af
>>
do any of you use RUBs to house snakes?
>>
>>2181640

Lots of people do. It's the cheapest way to house hatchlings until they grow big enough for their adult housing. They are also good for humidity retention. Heat retention can be improved by insulating the sides with foam board.
>>
>>2181653
do you think one would be big enough to be a permanent home for a female hognose?
>>
Why is my milk snake shoving his nose into the corner of the tank every night? He's been doing this for a week and hasn't gone blue so I don't think he's trying to shed. He'll do it for about 10 mins, get tired and then head back into his hide.
>>
>>2181658

Yes, no problem. The 110 qt. sterilite tub (34" x 18" x 12") would be very roomy for a large adult female hoggy. With hatchlings you want to start out with something much smaller.
>>
>>2181564
Whether or not it's accurate depends on if it's digital or analog. If it's digital, battery life can also affect it, and both can be calibrated. The placement is right, if that's where the cool side is, but if it's analog I'd get a digital one. More reliable.

>>2181640
I do but I don't like them. I prefer them as a temporary housing option. Opening from the top and the necessity of belly heat are major turn offs for me as long term housing options. Works wonders for humidity, though.
>>
>>2181665
Wants to go cruising.
Might need a bigger cage. Or at least more stuff in it to keep him busy.
>>
File: rosy16.jpg.cf.jpg (59KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
rosy16.jpg.cf.jpg
59KB, 533x399px
>>2175822
Surprised nobody mentioned rosys.
Most docile snake I've ever encountered.
They come in a variety of colors.
>>
File: 20160803_013856.jpg (2MB, 2904x1415px) Image search: [Google]
20160803_013856.jpg
2MB, 2904x1415px
>>2181215
>>2181243
That would make your salamander a blotched. I've actually never seen a blotched one before, it's amazing how color and patterns alone can make two animals of the same overall species look so unique.

My girl is obviously a barred, completely different colors and markings
>>
>>2181566
>>
File: tumblr_o42a5rfdEq1stribzo1_540.jpg (30KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o42a5rfdEq1stribzo1_540.jpg
30KB, 540x360px
From all the reptiles I'm interested in, how can I choose my first pet reptile? This probably won't happen anytime soon, but still, how do?
>>
So lately I've noticed my BP likes to burrow under the substrate and get between the layer of Eco carpet and the glass. She's not in direct contact with the heating element but still, should I be worried?
>>
When will my snake love me?
>>
>>2182018
You should tune your heating element with the idea that your snake is going to get in as close of contact as possible.

Because they will try and one day get there, like in your situation.
>>
>>2182016

Make a list of the ones you like. Narrow that down by ease of care, availability, cost, size/how much space you have available for their adult housing.
>>
i heard that someone finally had scaleless BP babies born from the originals. anyone got a source? i cant find any
>>
Can anyone give me some pros and cons of feeding a snake live food vs feeding it frozen food? I've fed it live her entire live (she's 5 years old) but I recently moved into the city and the petco nearby only sells frozen, will it be difficult for my snake to make the switch?
>>
>>2182613
frozen takes longer to prep(which isnt long at all) but otherwise 100% better over live.
>no chance of snake getting injured by struggling food
>can store in bulk in freezer
it might be a challenge to switch it over, my friends BCI never switched after him trying on and off for years
>>
>>2182613
what kind of snake do you have? the difficulty varies from species to species and from snake to snake

but the biggest advantage it has is safety. Its also cheaper because it allows you bulk order and then just store them in a freezer
>>
>>2182613
Pros:

you can buy in bulk
they won't outgrow your snake if it refuses
won't chew your snake
cheaper than live
easier to obtain
you can just drop it in and leave, live requires you to be there watching until the rat is swallowed

Cons:

can become poisoned if frozen and refrozen too many times, potentially killing your snake, and you can't really tell by looking or smelling if it's bad
if unthawed improperly can explode when the snake wraps it or become partially cooked
can be difficult to switch

Took me 1.5 years to get my bp switched after 5-6 years of live, but he did eventually switch and now eats f/t reliably at almost 10 years old. It takes creativity and determination to switch them sometimes, but every snake can be switched.

I'd definitely just try it out, some snakes aren't difficult and some are.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1469935601373.jpg (219KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1469935601373.jpg
219KB, 1080x1080px
This is my Madagascar day gecko. His name is lloyd.
>>
>>2183204
Hi Lloyd
He is a cute
>>
why doesn't anyone keep eastern milks? are they just a pain to work with or something?
>>
5 posts per day wew
>>
File: h74Pqy3.jpg (258KB, 1077x957px) Image search: [Google]
h74Pqy3.jpg
258KB, 1077x957px
>>2182490
Yes it happened, but it was not from the BHB line. They produced their own scaleless head BPs which lead to the fully scaleless babies.
>>
File: unnamed dude.png (1MB, 1052x747px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed dude.png
1MB, 1052x747px
Some 12 year old was giving away a crested gecko on craigslist so I took him home. That's what he was being kept in and it looks like he has MBD and is pretty skinny. I have other reptiles but no cresties. I bought him some Repashy with insects and I'm adding a little bit of calcium and d3 into it, as well as offering cal + d3 dusted crickets every few days. What else can I do to get this guy healthy again? He's in an exoterra, properly set up, now. Should I be using cal + d3 or just normal cal? I have both.
>>
What should I get for my second snek?

I've had a corn for a few years now.
>>
>>2183498
boa constrictor or ball python maybe?
>>
>>2183490
UV light during daytime hours would be beneficial for recovery. Good luck!
>>
>>2183498
Children's or spotted python. Boa if you wanna go a bit bigger. Hognose if they're legal where you live. All of those have markedly different behaviour than corns.
>>
>>2183684
Oh, also carpet pythons and woma pythons are really cool too.
>>
>>2183503
>>2183684

I like boas and pythons so I'll go with the ball python, and move on to more "advanced" species from there.

Carpet pythons look cool as fuck btw. Great markings.
>>
>>2183688
K. With balls i recommend a sterilite tub for housing them as babies/juveniles, and then switch to either pvc or melamine tank once they're close to adult size. Melamine is easy to diy if pvc is too pricey. Avoid aquariums as they are a major hassle to maintain humidity in the comfy ball python range. Balls stress out in those if the sides and back aren't covered, too.
>>
>>2183498
>>2183688
since you're already used to how a colubrid acts, a ball python would be boring to you imo. they are basically pet rocks when handled often.
>>
File: Red_milk_snake.jpg (177KB, 440x342px) Image search: [Google]
Red_milk_snake.jpg
177KB, 440x342px
>>2183498

Milk snake.
>>
File: black.jpg (143KB, 998x1024px) Image search: [Google]
black.jpg
143KB, 998x1024px
>>2183747
this, a black or honduran if you're looking for a bigger snake, nelsons/sinaloan if you're looking for a moderately sized one.
>>
>>2183768
Hnng, this reminds me of a gorgeous Texas Indigo Snake I saw at a show recently
>>
For those of us that often work long hours (12-15) what do us beardie owners do?

My sister and mom have left the country and they would feed my beardie if i'm not there.

I came up with a back-up plan of using my timer and adjusting the times where the light would come on early in the morning, put some crickets and veggies and it would go about it's day and shut off around the evening.

Is there a better alternative i'm missing?
>>
>>2183987
what's wrong with what you suggested?
>>
>>2184057

Nothing brethren, I realize it may annoy my beardie a little because of the slight change in times, i guess this will do :)
>>
>>2182016
Well all non tropical snakes are good starters. They only require a meal per week, some water, hides and a hot spot. They will also poo about once or twice a week which is really convienent.

Frozen rodents as meals is way simpler than anything for lizards imo.
>>
Going to reptile expo tomorrow and looking to get a new reptile. I want something that will fit comfortably in a five gallon tank due limited space at the moment. I know that limits me to mostly invertebrates. I was thinking a bumble bee toad. Anyone have an opinion on bumble bee toads or have any suggestions to put in five gallon.
>>
>>2184138

I looked in to bumblebee toads once. Couldn't find them locally so didn't get any. They seem pretty cool and easy to care for.
>>
Tips on owning a baby aquatic turtle?
I just caught one while fishing and i keep it in my fish tank. I have Styrofoam for it to sleep on. I no nothing about taking care of it.
>>
>>2184234
Put it back!
>>
File: 20160805_144739.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160805_144739.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2184235
Why? I want to keep it and take care of it.
>>
File: August 5, 16001.jpg (288KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
August 5, 16001.jpg
288KB, 800x600px
>>2173911
I must be unlucky, my argus monitor is a picky eater and will not take food for me. She is one year and still growing, slow compared to others.
>>
File: SAM_1270.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1270.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>2174496
I was told argus monitors don't climb too!
>>
>>2184236
>i want to keep it and take care of it
are you sure?
because you need a ten gallon tank plus ten more gallons for every inch of shell
you need a powerful filter and pump because turtles shit A LOT
you'll need a basking lamp and UVB
you'll need some kind of floating dock for it to climb out on of course
and of course food

all in all are you prepared to make space for it and spend upwards of 300-400 dollars in start up costs alone?
>>
>>2184265
Sounds like I just need a basking lamp and uvb
>>
>>2184266
so you just have like a 50 gallon tank and a pump just lying around?
thats fine then, good luck i guess
>>
File: tough-cookie.jpg (979KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
tough-cookie.jpg
979KB, 1632x1224px
>>2184234
If it's a Red Eared Slider, doesn't matter if you don't release it because chances are, they're not supposed to be there anyway. (Probably the only turtle that no one cares about taking from the wild because they're too invasive)

Anyway for babies, should be fine in the aquarium for now. Turtles needs a little dry area they can haul themselves out of the water to bask, so you would need lights for heat and UVB like any other reptile. Also a water heater if the water gets too cold(warmer climates and summer months should be fne without one). Plus when it comes to filtration, you want something way stronger than the amount of water in your tank, like double the power because turtles are very messy or else you're going be changing the water alot

The biggest hurdle you'll have to watch out for is if you want to keep it forever, that baby will grow fuck huge and as such will need a fuck huge tank in the long run, with bigger filters and heaters. A tiny quarter sized RES can grow to like 6-12 inches in shell length, which means you're gonna need like a 75+ gallon aquarium for it's adult size; larger if it turns out to be female (You could also use a stock tank as those are way cheaper than an aquarium)

Pic related is my 11 year old, 8 in female RES. Her name is Cookie
>>
>>2184272
Yep, the turtle is in my aquarium. Although it's empty now because I released my fish.
>>2184273
I live in the south and it's been 90+ degrees here for months now. I do have a water heater.

My tank is next to the window, and he's been enjoying the suns rays from it, I know I'll have to eventually get a basking lamp for when it cools down.
>>
>>2184285
If that's the case, well good on you for at least having a decent size tank for now. (if it grows up to be male, good for you, males generally stay smaller)

Do you have a basking spot for it or is the styrofoam it? Is it in the tank? Because you might wanna get something sturdier or else it will try to eat it.
>>
>>2184292
He basks in the sun from my window currently. I got several Styrofoam pieces floating on the surface. He hasn't tried to eat it yet, he's just a baby.

Thinking about getting one of those fake lilypad for turtles when he gets bigger
>>
>>2184297
Definitely get rid of the styrofoam whenever, as if not now, he will eventually attempt to (I bought on of those styrofoam floating docks when mine was smaller, two weeks later she ate a good chunk of it with pieces floating everywhere.) Otherwise you can actually build something cheap yourself out of household shit or even go low tech and just stack some bricks as a basking platform.

Beyond the heat/UVB thing and keeping the water clean, it's pretty straightforward from there. Turtles are generally super hardy, especially compared to fish. Still gotta do water changes and shit though
>>
File: IMG-20160806-WA0008.jpg (124KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160806-WA0008.jpg
124KB, 1280x960px
Guys, I need a bit of guidance. Theres a person selling this, but I've never seen this colour. He says its a bearded dragon and knows nothing more about it. It seems healthy enough, eyes look clear. The problem is that hes in another state and I can't go there. Looking for guidance, fr/an/ds

Post 1/2
>>
File: IMG-20160806-WA0007.jpg (274KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160806-WA0007.jpg
274KB, 1280x960px
Post 2/2
>>
>>2184306
Their color and pattern changes as they age.
>>
>>2184297
just so you know, unless that window is open, he's not getting any UV from it so a proper lamp is going to be a must
>>
>>2184326
I been researching and I've found that a lamp isn't a must. D3 in their food is a must. Lamps are just a plus.
I've read about owners who have had their turtles for years without having a lamp.
For example:

"Since mine do not stay under a UVB lamp all day I do supply them with a vitamin supplement with D3. You have to be careful with using the supplement, as their body will use as much as in their system. Naturally, their body produces only enough to metabolize calcium using UVB radiation. Hence, it is possible to overdose them when given orally. A prolonged overexposure to D3 will cause organs to shut down and kill your turtle/tortoise. So when using these products you have to pay close attention to how much you give.

This is why UVB radiation is so much better, no risk is involved."

Still gonna get a lamp though
>>
>>2184320

Okay cool! Thanks man appreciate it.
>>
File: 87530220.jpg (73KB, 600x450px)
87530220.jpg
73KB, 600x450px
'sup /an/, I've been told to ask you what species this one here is.
>>
>>2184352
smug dragon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir2axejX-yY
>>
How difficult are tegu?
>>
>>2184372
Do not attempt without previous (successful) reptile keeping experience.
>>
>>2184306
>>2184308
Its a plain dragon.
>>
>>2184352
I wanted to say its a kind of iguana but I don't know of many that don't have a dewlap or spines
but convergent evolution is a bitch like that sometimes so I guess it could also some kind of teiid or lacertid
>>
>>2184352
after some looking around because this is actually interesting to me
it might be one of the species of fijian iguana
>>
Hey guys - so I'm really interested in buying a bearded dragon from my local pet store - he looks in good health. But I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer

1). From my research I've concluded you need to feed a baby bearded dragon like 100 crickets a week or something? Is that true? If it is - how do you buy in bulk - that would be a big cost for me.
2.) How difficult is it to set up a bearded dragon habitat. Everywhere Ive read makes it sound really difficult but I cant figure out if that's true or its just a matter of "put a hot ass lamp on this side and make sure the other side doesn't get too cold".
3.) how much heat does the tank give off if set up correctly - I get hot easily and if it gives off alot of heat I'm just going to put the tank in another area of the house thats not my room.
4.) How high maintenance are bearded dragons. I had a leopard gecko successfully for a very long time beforehand so I'm curious how the two compare.

Thanks so much guys - obviously if the price is too high for crickets or I can't find a suitable place in the house I wont get the lizard and subject him to bad care.
>>
>>2184578
Oh shit I forgot #5

What do you guys estimate the startup cost for having a Bearded are?
>>
>>2184582
>>
>>2184583
right on - what would you say those costs are for?
>>
File: SAM_1278.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1278.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>2184372
Get a monitor, like an Argus, because they are tough, don't require UV, and come in dwarf sizes. Smart as a dog and considered the primates of the lizard world. Watch Nova's "Lizard Kings" and just be sure to build a cage don't use an all glass terrarium meant for other species. >>2184352
>>
File: green-basilisk-lizard-20813124.jpg (32KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
green-basilisk-lizard-20813124.jpg
32KB, 400x267px
>>2184352
Female Basilisk
>>
>>2184578

google care sheets for bearded dragons. that should answer most of your questions.

amount of heat radiating away from the tank is not much. heat lamp is pretty directional and only significantly heats the spot directly underneath it. this depends on how well insulated your tank is also (wood and pvc insulate better than glass).

Setup difficulty is easy. Heat lamps have a chart on the back that says how much heat they produce at a variety of distances.

Major expenses are:

>terrarium
>heat lamp fixture and UV fluorescent bulb fixture + the bulbs
>decor and food dishes (this can be done very frugally or very elaborately to preference)
>the lizard
>>
File: 1469883259962.png (144KB, 475x350px)
1469883259962.png
144KB, 475x350px
>>2184385
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
hey /an/ first time herp here, had this leopard gecko for 8 months now, still a lil thing. His name is Albert and he says hi.
>>
Hey /an/

So i bought three boxes of 5th hoppers from the pet shop the other day, transfered them to my gutloading container and they all died within like a day.

What's the most likely cause of this?

I kinda narrowed it down to either

a) pesticides in the gutload
b) parasites

I say parasites because when i got home there was this strange beetle in the box that I haven't seen before.

Heres a pic (too big of a file size to upload here)

http://imgur.com/a/3d6N8

Any idea to prevent this happening in the future?
>>
>>2184808

nice morph. cute guy
>>
do any of you keep reptiles in your bedroom? it seems kind of odd to me but I do have 2 snakes in my bedroom now. is it possible for this to negatively effect my health?
>>
>>2184366
cheerio mr toad
>>
>>2185143
I live with multiple snakes, tokehs, a tarantula and hissing cockroaches in my room, no negative effect for me so far. It's been 10 years since the first snake.
>>
File: 20160807_164249.png (4MB, 1585x1767px) Image search: [Google]
20160807_164249.png
4MB, 1585x1767px
>>2185143
The only reptiles I own that aren't in my room are my box turtles that live in their outdoor enclosure. As long as you're not a groveling pig that doesn't stay at least partially clean them you'll be 100% fine.

I keep my crestie, Leopard gecko, painted turtle, horned frog, african clawed frog, two toads, tiger salamander, corn snake, tarantula, and my betta fish all in my tiny ass closet of a room, all in properly sized enclosures and everything. That being said, I'd be fucked to find a way to fit another animal cage in there lol

>>2184808
CUTE! Post more pictures. What morph?

I've hadone my girl since January and she's shot up like a weed since
>>
File: WgO2IU8.png (716KB, 566x597px) Image search: [Google]
WgO2IU8.png
716KB, 566x597px
anyone take a guess as to the name of this morph? looks too dark to be just an albino honduran, but it could be the camera.
>>
>>2185143
I used to, but in my new residence there isn't enough room for my 11 snakes and me, so I have to take up 2 rooms. I just have my 2 quarantine snakes in my bedroom with me right now. When I get an actual house, I'm hoping the rooms will be large enough to keep them in with me again.

I don't see any reason why it would affect your health, negative or not.
>>
File: image.jpg (251KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
251KB, 750x1334px
>>2185226
Mack snow I think?
Favorite pic right here
>>
>>2184631
Not that anon but I' also like to know about the average feeding cost bearded dragons or other insect eaters. The only lizard I owned was a uromastyx and it only ate vegetables (until my uncle killed it).
>>
>>2184970

They might have already been near dead from the stay on the shelf at the pet store. What kind of container are you using and what did you use for gutload?
>>
File: 20160807_191302.jpg (2MB, 1095x2468px) Image search: [Google]
20160807_191302.jpg
2MB, 1095x2468px
>>2185305
Aww he's so cute! He does look a bit thin though if you've had him for 8 months... how often does he get fed?

It sounds like both of our leos are around the same age, mine might even be younger. She's a little porker, though
>>
>>2185355
10 crickets 4 times a week free hunted + occasional mealworms
>>
File: 20160807_194052.jpg (1MB, 1397x1437px) Image search: [Google]
20160807_194052.jpg
1MB, 1397x1437px
>>2185365
Good! Maybe he's just a little slimmer naturally, or maybe my gecko is just fat.

On that note, are mealworms fattier than crickets? Mealworms are the staple of my leo's diet because she has terrible aim and crickets are too swift quite often. Also, it's game over if one crawls on her foot, that shit freaks her out and shell refuse to eat for the rest of the evening
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2185390
Yes! From my understanding mealworms are sort of "treats" meant to add variety to the gecko's diet. My gecko will miss quite a few too but he doesn't respond well to hand-feeding. (He's still a little jumpy and bites me sometimes when I try to handle/pet him, but apparently that gets better with age)
He's about 5.5", how long are yours?
>>
File: 20160807_215459.jpg (2MB, 2437x1052px) Image search: [Google]
20160807_215459.jpg
2MB, 2437x1052px
>>2185405
Yeah we have very different leos my dude. I just measured her for the first time and was shocked; she's about 7" snout-to-vent, and just shy of 10" with her tail. Way bigger than I would have guesstimated.

And Starburst is a big lazy poop. She seems to have no aversion towards being handled, and I actually think she enjoys the warmth from my body because shell just sit there and chill on my hands or stomach for a good amount of time and she's never bit me or yelled at me.

And I know it's horrible, but up until a couple weeks ago, I'd hand fed her since I got her. She would eat right from my fingers with no issues. But since a few weeks ago she's been catching her own prey and doing a decent job. I guess she's just spoiled.

And I have to say, out of all my herps, she probably has it the best.
>>
>>2185405
Also I think Albert is a Super Mack Snow, on account of his no spots and coloring. I really like white and/or pink leopard gecko morphs, he's really a cool dude
>>
>>2185508
>Super Mack Snow
hmm, TIL. never even heard of this morph, let alone knew that I owned one
>>
File: uromastyx.jpg (11KB, 332x152px) Image search: [Google]
uromastyx.jpg
11KB, 332x152px
well im finally doing it
two months of being super sad with no pet after my leo died I am getting a new pet
I reserved a red uromastyx and I'm picking him up on Tuesday. I want to name him waffle. did I make a good choice?

pic is not him but looks really similar
>>
never posted here before, so sorry if this isn't the right thread for a dumb post like this, but i'm looking for some cursory advice: when i was younger, i had firebelly toads and i loved them; i just moved into my first apartment and i can't have a cat or a dog, so i was thinking of getting a toad or frog to chill with. i don't want to fuck with him too much, just feed him and let him chill and get him stuff to run around on in his house. the only thing is, i'm looking to spend somewhere in the realm of 100 dollars for the tank and toad cause i'm a little strapped for cash. the only real criteria i have are the price and i'd like him to be relatively small and docile. i'll definitely want to handle him every now and again, but when i had the firebelly toads, i mostly just liked taking care of them and getting them new stuff.

so, just looking for some insight from people who know what's up. tia
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is my little chameleon, Yoda. She's grown a bit since this picture, and her cage is also different now. I might post an updated version soon.
>>
>>2185533
nice dude, uros are super cool
I want to get one someday but they need a pretty big enclosure
i've heard they have very distinct personalities
>>
>>2185552
if you're wanting to get a frog or toad, you really shouldn't be handling them at all unless its absolutely necessary.
the oils on our skin can mess with their mucus membranes pretty bad
than being said you could probably set one up for about a hundred bucks. A firebelly toad specifically wouldn't need anything bigger than a ten gallon tank, I think you can keep up to three in one.
The only thing is fire belly toads are semi-aquatic iirc and so they'll need a sizable but shallow pool of water in there
>>
>>2185533

best of luck, anon! and nice choice.

NEW THREAD TIME GOGOGO

>>2185579

>>2185579

>>2185579

>>2185579
>>
can you eat a frog if you don't want her anymore
Thread posts: 307
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.