[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help with my doggo. I've had two trainers for him

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1467020528060.jpg (51KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467020528060.jpg
51KB, 480x480px
I need help with my doggo. I've had two trainers for him yet I've seen little success. I am hoping someone here might have some ideas or when through a similar experience with their dog.

When I take him outside, he just exists in his own world. He'll walk okay until he finds an interesting smell and he'll go off on his own and sniff. Sometimes he digs in really hard and I have to drag him with a considerable amount of strength. He also chases squirrels like no tomorrow, and will run and bark at other dogs we see.

Nothing I do can get him to pay attention to me and listen to commands. Nothing works. I am at the point I am honestly considering a prong collar, which I absolutely just do not want to do. He is still a few months shy of 2. Does he still have a lot of dumb puppy in him left maybe?

I just am tired of being embarrassed by him barking at other dogs and running towards them.
>>
>>2173136
Maybe he's deaf and literally is not hearing you giving the commands?
>>
>>2173138
No. He processes commands fine indoors. He definitely isn't deaf.

He is also part hound.
>>
>>2173136
Find a GOOD trainer?

Fancy prong/choke/zap collars are absolutely useless.
>>
>>2173162
Both the trainers I have worked with are supposedly really good.
>>
>>2173168
Well they didn't work, so they were shit.

Use positive reinforcements. Let him come to you, do not force him to follow you. Drill your dog to listen to you. You're the one holding the leash, not him. I've seen people use long ropes and stand in a field. The dog thinks he's free, but then he'll realize he can't go anywhere unless YOU go first.
>>
>>2173168
Then the problem is you.
>>
>>2173231
Then what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>2173234
I don't know, I can't watch you interact with your dog.
>>
>>2173251
What a tremendous help you are. Truly you must be a professional dog trainer.
>>
>>2173258
Actually that is helpful information. Now you know the problem. Have your next trainer work with you instead of your dog.
And I am a capible trainer, btw. I have trained a few Service Dogs.
>>
>>2173136
Use the Premack principal. Remember that you need to up your rate of reinforcement in high distracting environments such as outside. Dogs don't genralize so the more places you practice the skills the other trainers showed you the better they get at knowing that come inside means the same as come outside. Also excessive sniffing is a stress sign. It sounds like you have a reactive dog and should seek out a behavior modification trainer. One who is CPDT-KSA certified.
>>
>>2173321
This is the first time I've heard this. I assumed he sniffs like he does because he is part hound (basset I think) and because it's fun for him. Is it always a sign of stress, or can it be like a yawn where it can be? What are the other signs of a reactive dog so I can monitor him for them?

Thank you for the advice though. That is what I may have been missing. I was trying to reward him the same way in the house and our little training spot outside the house. He got distracted by a stray cat this morning and I was rewarding him for just briefly glancing at me when I told him "look at me". Whereas if we were inaide, I would expect him to hold eye contact for several seconds. I assume this is what you meant?
>>
>>2173484
That is the look at that game and/or watch the world. Sniff can be a stress signal when it is done in excess. With stress you will always see other sings too. There is never just one. Upping the treat value and amount of treats you are using outside should help. Get the book Control Unleashed it will help with fun games on how to get your dog to relax. Also try the relaxation protocol.
>>
>>2173487
Thank you. This is super helpful, like really, really helpful. Out of both the trainers I've worked wits, it is interesting neither of them pointed out he could be stressed.
>>
>>2173498
They may not have been reactive dog trainers. There are a lot of trainers out there who don't understand or are not educated in doggie body language or stress. But they are still good trainers for things like basic comands. Hang in there!
>>
>>2173136
Your doggo's autistic, m8.
>>
>>2173136
Negative reinforcement is not going to make the dog want to be by you, it will make the problem worse. Since I can't really assess the situation with a ton more information including actually seeing the dog at work, I'll just give you very broad advice because every dog is different an needs different methods.

Basically, you need to be more rewarding than whatever your dog is after. Whatever is outside that he wants, you want to make sure you are better than that. Either with treats, affection, toys, what have you.
>>
Fuck him
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.