[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm torn between a guinea pig and a snake for my first real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: smiley piggly.jpg (72KB, 740x712px) Image search: [Google]
smiley piggly.jpg
72KB, 740x712px
I'm torn between a guinea pig and a snake for my first real pet. I don't want to get both for obvious reasons.

Snake
Pros:
>Cool bodies
>Probably fun to touch and hold
>Fun to watch them climb up walls
>Only have to feed it once a week or two

Cons:
>Weird looking poops
>Stinky
>Maybe it will scare people

Guinea Pig
Pros:
>Cute
>They make neat noises
>Soft
>I can kiss them

Cons:
>Stinky
>Eat often

Help me. Which one requires more effort? Which one will cost more to keep?
>>
>>2172643
what kind of snake have you considered to get as pet?
>>
>>2172644
Ball python because they're cute or a California kingsnake since they're really common here.
>>
>>2172643
A guinea pig is a lot higher maintenance imo
and they can be loud you might get sick of hose cute noises
>>
>>2172648
Oh, I forgot to add to the pros that my girlfriend used to have one and said she'd help me out with it.
>>
>>2172643
ball pythons live regularly over 20 years anon. if you want one make absolutely sure that you keep that in mind.
>>
>>2172643
I had to take care of my brother's guinea pig for a couple of months as he was changing places and stuff.

I hated that fucking thing.

I HATED that fucking dumb fucking piece of shit.

STUPID, STUPID fucking animals that squeak all fucking day, bang shit in their cages, piss and shit non-stop and then just fucking sit in it all day, they don't fucking eat what you give them without running around SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK CLUCK CLUCK SQUEAK SQUEAKING around for 2 hours.

Had to change it's fucking cage like every 3-4 days because of how fucking dirty it would get from them shitting and pissing everywhere, and the cost on that fucker got annoying.

I hated that fucking rat, I hated taking care of it, and I'm glad it's gone.

But that was just my personal experience. And to be fair, he was a pretty sociable little thing.
>>
>>2172643
Guinea pig needs lots of space and much more maintenance than snek.
>>
File: 1458090430053.jpg (304KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1458090430053.jpg
304KB, 1280x854px
>>2172647

Snek is luv. Snek is life.
>>
>>2172643
snakes are very low maintenance.
Guinea pigs are a bit higher maintenance.
If you want something soft and cute with little maintenance, get a hamster.
>>
>>2172677
Sounds like your brother had it in a tiny shitty cage.
>>
>>2172643
If you decide on getting a ball python, make sure it eats because they are commonly problem eaters and would reject eating the food.
>>
>>2172643
Pick a dog or cat.
400% more huggable.
>>
>>2172643
>Cons:
>>Stinky
I have two of them and they're not really stinky at all.
>>
>>2172677
>Had to change its cage every 3-4 days

Why is cleaning such an issue to people? Be it a litterbox, picking up after your dog, cages, etc. Even with large cages it takes less than 10 minutes to scrub down, if they even do that.
>>
>>2172718
I think that might be the joke m8, he put stinky down on both of them, as if animals don't stink.
>>
if you're getting a guinea pig, you need to get 2 of them. they can get depressed from loneliness
>>
>>2172643
piggus require a lot more space than is usually thought. these regular little shit cages are torture. and they should always be kept with at least one partner, as they are very social animals

a snake is a better choice
>>
>>2172643
Snakes are odorless so long as you clean their tanks properly. Spot clean as needed and full clean once monthly. Since snakes only go to the bathroom once a week to two weeks, the cleaning frequency is minimal.

Guinea pigs require a large pen and, since they are highly social, you really shouldn't get a single one. They do much better in pairs. Cleaning frequency is daily. Feeding is daily. They shed. They can be loud. They will likely need a vet visit at least a couple times in their lives.

While the startup costs of pigs is less, snakes are cheaper long term unless the snake is very large.
>>
File: fgsfg.png (248KB, 329x291px) Image search: [Google]
fgsfg.png
248KB, 329x291px
Snakes can be difficult to care for, particularly with feeding. You with have to maintain their environment to fit particular standards depending on the species. Also be aware that they can play host to a lot of bad bacteria on the surface of their skin.

Never had guinea pigs before, so I really can't help you there. I will say, mice are an amazingly easy and loving first pet for newcomers. They are super low maintenance, and females carry no odor at all.
>>
>>2172867
>Snakes can be difficult to care for, particularly with feeding. You with have to maintain their environment to fit particular standards depending on the species. Also be aware that they can play host to a lot of bad bacteria on the surface of their skin.
why the fuck are you talking about shit you have no idea about?
>>
>>2172867
This man is not being completely honest about mice.
>>
>>2172868
Certain breeds of snakes, like corn snakes, are very skittish in their youth. It can be a nightmare to get them to consume and fully digest their food sometimes.

Many species of snakes require certain humidity and temperature levels. Any retard knows this.

All reptiles have the capacity to harbor bacteria such as salmonella on their scales. Look it up, idiot.

>>2172869
How so?
>>
>>2172872
again, why bother talking about shit you don't know anything about?
>>
>>2172876
Give me a reply with substance, shitposter.
>>
>>2172872
Nightmare to feed corn snakes? Wut? Waggle thawed mouse next to snek. Done. Corns are one of the easiest species of snakes to feed.

As for salmonella, that's just a water of washing your hands. Which you should do after touching any animal, or human for that matter.
>>
>>2172883
>any human
What if you touch yourself? And I don't mean masturbating, I mean literally touching your own arm or something.
>>
>>2172886
You're as good as dead
>>
File: DJH9ps4.png (85KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
DJH9ps4.png
85KB, 500x500px
>>2172872
>some snakes are high maintenance, therefore snakes are high maintenance
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division
>>
>>2172643
guuinea pig

because g force movie
>>
>>2172990

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

i came in this thread just to say I hate autists like you. Looking at the anons post he doesn't say all snakes are high maintenance, he is just stating some aspects of snake care. How about instead of pointing out HURR DURR ITS A FALACY GOTEM!!! you actually critic or contribute to the discussion.

fuck you i hate you please die or go back to /v/
>>
File: 1430506362668.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1430506362668.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
>>2173139
>complains about him not contributing to the discussion
>doesn't contribute to the discussion
>>
>>2173141

like I said I came into the thread just to point out how much of a retard he was. I offered my reasoning for it too which im sure is far beyond his grasp.

just like you and your fun and funny frog posting. why do you need to post a meme picture on an /an/ thread? do you really need to make sure the 5 people in this thread read your empty and near meaningless post? i hate you. i want you to die. if some one came up to me and said "hey man do you want to undergo a horribly painful and expensive operation to get spikes driven into your penis?" i would say yes just so I could obliterate your asshole. maybe then you wouldn't be able to sit at the computer and make shitty retard posts all day.
>>
File: 1438650657095.jpg (24KB, 496x499px) Image search: [Google]
1438650657095.jpg
24KB, 496x499px
>>2173145
nice copypasta, have a (You)
>>
Get snake.
Feed him guinea pigs.
>>
So my AC died
It's high 90s every day with night temperature hardly any better
How do I keep my guinea pigs alive? I've just been throwing ice packs and stuff constantly buy I can't keep this up during the weekdays when I have work and the AC will take a while to replace.
>>
>>2172968
Can confirm, friend of mine died because of this and survived
>>
You could buy both firstly and make your snake eat the other.
>>
>>2173575

This. Only the best pet wins.

If the guinea pig wins, that's a pretty hardcore pig.

Also: are snakes particularly stinky? What do they stink of?
>>
>>2172643
Since a lot of people in this thread have been dishing on guinea pigs for a variety of reasons (and some very legitimate ones, they are fairly high-maintenance), I thought I'd offer a slightly different perspective:

First, identify what you want in a pet. Snakes are very, very cool and rewarding pets to have, and although they do show affection, they are not, strictly speaking, affectionate. You don't sit down for a couple hours with a book or a movie and cuddle a snake on your lap. If you want a pet that can be handled occasionally but doesn't really need you around to be happy, get a snake. You'll love interacting with it whenever you do, and you won't feel tied down.

Guinea pigs, on the other hand, need your love and interaction to be happy. If you're going to get just one, you have to be able to spend a good chunk of your day with it hanging out on the floor near you, sitting on your lap, etc. If you get two, it'll be slightly less work, but you still need to devote time to them if you want them to bond with you instead of just each other.

That said, guinea pigs are wonderful cuddle pets. I had my last piggy for 7 years, and she was absolutely amazing. She'd sit on my lap and lick my fingers, she'd take naps with me while purring on my belly, she'd waddle around the floor and make the cutest little bubbling noises as she ran up to nibble my toes or try to chew on my hair. She even learned that I would put her up whenever she peed on my lap (guinea pig pee is like grass water, no big deal), so she'd always get up and pee on a towel or whatever I set up nearby and get back on my lap if she wanted to keep cuddling. Piggies can be amazing and rewarding pets, if what you're looking for is a bundle of endless affection.

So do you want a cuddle buddy who needs you to be happy? Or do you want a cool companion who's more independent? I think that's what the choice really boils down to; maintenance questions are honestly secondary.
>>
>>2173375
give them a pool
>>
>>2172841
If you give them regular daily attention they should be fine on their own
>>
>>2174519
But they can't swim
>>
OP, I strongly suggest adopting a homeless animal from an animal shelter or rescue organization, instead of purchasing an animal.

www.petfinder.com showcases many animals in need of forever homes.

Please consider adopting
>>
Wow, I'm honestly surprised so many snake supporters were in this thread. Reptiles aren't pets. They're interactive furniture. Especially snakes. Low maintenance, sure. But they aren't very active. Especially ball pythons.

Guinea Pigs are inquisitive, but require a lot of upkeep like any rodent will. If you fall behind on cleaning its cage, it will stink. They are social animals so they make noise. They will require constant nail trimmings and vitamin C supplements. But they're actually a pet. Do some research on guinea pig enclosures. People have it down to a science how to keep many in a stink free cage with easily washable substrates and toys.
>>
>>2174765
All pets are interactive furniture, what are you talking about
>>
>>2174758
OP here. I went to the shelter with my girlfriend a couple days ago and we ended up adopting 3 pigglies. She's going to keep them at her house and care for them, and when I move into my new apartment in a month or so I'm going to get a snake.
>>
>>2174746
no pool. they can swim but no. it stresses them out. put a fan on them. put a few water bottles in the freezer, take them out when theyre frozen solid, put them in a sock (for snuggleability) and put them in the cage. they can lay against them to keep cool. repeat when they melt.

be careful. guineas get heat stroke veery easily and die.
>>
>>2174758
Ya llegan los giliprogres.

OP, get a snake, I have owned several repiles (not snakes though) for quite a lot of time and they make aweseome pets. Just make sure you are not taking a long vacation anytime soon because you can't leave them alone. They need maintenance and you cannot take them with you or ask your neighbours or friends to fill their water tank and take them for a walk like a dog.
>>
File: G-Force Guardians of Space.jpg (59KB, 754x748px) Image search: [Google]
G-Force Guardians of Space.jpg
59KB, 754x748px
>>2173104
>guuinea pig
>because g force movie
But they were dressed as birds, not guinea pigs...
>>
>>2174864
They don't really swim. They can paddle about and stay afloat but they're in no way made to swim.
Or that's my understanding.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.