[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started an insect vivarium the other day. I'm trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 0718162016b.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
0718162016b.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Just started an insect vivarium the other day. I'm trying to mimic the canopy floor of a northern coniferous forest.

Im keeping the soil moist to promote mold for my janitors and also to keep my worms happy.

I have springtails, millipedes and pill bugs for janitorial duty.

Theres also a darkling beetle and a couple larvae to go along with it. Found a couple jagged ambush bugs that I will probably release because I don't think they're getting adequate nutrients.

I purchased a clip on LED light for minimal growth and to keep the soil from drying out so the worms don't die.

My worms don't seem to like the soil much. It's definitely damp enough for them without them getting flooded. It could be the pH but I can't be certain.

Besides the worms everything is doing well so far.

Any one else collect insects or have advice?
>>
what's the weather like in austrailia, op?
>>
>>2170261
A little down under the usual, mate.
>>
>>2170256
i think it would look nice and maintain humidity a bit more if you placed a live plant or two in there. nothing immodest, just a touch of sorrel, trillium, or montia cordifolia. also do you plan on adding a big critter for dramatic effect? A stag beetle or a mantis or orb weaver?
>>
>>2170316
I was thinking about adding a fern, but I'm not quite sure if it will grow too large for the tank. And I'm not sure yet about what insects I'm going to be adding.
>>
>>2170256
What millipedes you got m8? Just regular ones or cool ones?

I agree with >>2170316 , put a plant and a stag beetle in there.
>>
breed termites and bed bugs
>>
you don't have enough soil to sustain anything.
>>
>>2170256
how did you manage to glue it all to the ceiling of the tank like that
>>
>>2170521
they sell small ferns for $3 and size shouldnt be an issue, trim, or take it apart and plants smaller portions of it, you can do the same with a pothos maybe,
>>
You should add more bark, leaves, and twigs.
>>
You need to poke holes in the lid so they can breathe
>>
>>2170256

Honey, get me the fly swatter.
>>
Not to be a wet blanket but you really should have added a drainage layer.
>>
>>2171033
sorry for being dumb but Ive kept tarantulas and scorpions in terrariums/vivariums for 2 years and I dont use drainage layers, however when i look for inspo in youtube and stuff a lot of people seem to do it, what exactly is the function of that? how does it work and why? I never bothered to look much into it but im curious now
>>
>>2170540
Nothing special. Just plain small ones.

>>2170637
Added a good amount of soil. Havent seen em crawl yet.

>>2170956
Nice. I'll have to check them out.

>>2170994
There is no lid friend.

>>2171033
Nah you're good man. You're right. Kind of got excited and threw this together quickly.
>>
>>2171052
Prevent fungus and mold from growing due to the bottom of the substrate always being wet.
>>
>>2171762
I've read a lot about how mold is good for the ecosystem. The springtails literally live off of it and it's promoting decomposition which is what the overall point of this vivarium is. It's a replica of a canopy floor.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.