[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dog/ - Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 46

Posts about dogs that do not deserve their own threads.

Previous thread:
>>2159835
>>
>>2170058
We need a stickly

>Getting a pupper? Binge watch these
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMssKIjsDxXmMGypWsr8u-yGOUSoPoozb
>Food Guide
___
>Breed Info
____

etc etc
>>
Do you guys prefer wet or dry food? Or a little bit of both? I'd like my girl to eat better but I'm not sure how to supplement
>>
>>2170071
>Food Guide
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

>Breeds
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/
>>
>>2170074
I do mostly dry, but wet food is great for filling Kong toys. Freeze it and your dog will be busy for at least a half hour.

Certain (not all) dry kibbles are proven to help clean teeth.
>>
File: scary dog teeth.jpg (208KB, 980x733px) Image search: [Google]
scary dog teeth.jpg
208KB, 980x733px
>there are people on /an/ RIGHT NOW who don't brush their dog's teeth

should be considered animal abuse imo.
>>
>>2170142
I do it daily. My dog hates it but I don't want her to get dental problems since I've had them myself and I know how painful they are.

She needs a cleaning and it's $400 in my area. How much is it where y'all live?
>>
>>2170142
how do i get my dog to like teeth brushing?
>>
Advice needed: a coworker of mine needed to rehome the GSD they bought and so I took her. The GSD has paperwork and is chipped, all of which is still in my coworkers name. I am assuming that means that until they transfer the chip/papers I am not the legal owner?

How do I go about getting that stuff from them without sounding like a jerk? I love this dog already and don't want to have her separated from me down the line if they change their mind. Plus I can't really sign her up for any obedience classes until she's "mine." I have text messages that would prove that they gave her to me
>>
>>2170058
How do I teach him to come when I whistle? he will come if I do it inside but not outside.
>>
>>2170058
What is the best dog toy that wont get destroyed!
>>
>>2170242
Bump
>>
Anyone have a livestock guardian dog? I want to be a sheep farmer someday and I've been reading a lot about LGD breeds.
>>
So I recently adopted a new doggo. She came home HW+ and got her treatment so all is well on that front.

But I was told she seems to have some Cavalier King Charles in her, and she looks it. I was planning to get some DNA tests to confirm, but it worries me because cavs apparently have some horrific health issues.

So, does her being a mutt negate the horrific breeding of cavs? Or should I assume and expect her to have the typical laundry list of issues the breed has? I just want to know how much I need to worry about her.
>>
>>2170654
get you a caucasian shepherd, anon
no one will fuck with your sheep
>>
>>2170672

There's many kinds of spaniel, so keep in mind that your dog may be mixed with one of the much healthier spaniel breeds. But even if she's part CKC, it's not the end of the world. As a mutt, she will likely not have ear/hip/skull structural-related problems to the same extent as a purebred, and there's a greater chance the genetic issues will be diluted by her wider gene pool. There's no guarantees and I'd ask her vet to periodically listen for a heart murmur whenever she happens to be at the vet's anyway for your own peace of mind, but the fact she is a mix will greatly reduce her chances of inheriting their disorders, particularly those that are very common to CKC spaniels and relatively rare outside their breed.
>>
>>2170701
I live in Florida, too hot for that. Sad because I think they're gorgeous.
>>
I'd sit on that guy's dick
>>
>>2170242
Halp
>>
>>2170817
Dude just go her and ask her to change the microchip paperwork. There is usually a fee associated with it, so just offer to cover it.

>You can you change the microchip stuff for doggo? Here is the form. You just gotta sign it, thanks!
>>
>>2170654

From what I understand, Great Pyrenees are good if you want more of something that will warn you of predators for you yourself to handle. Anatolian Shepherds are a bit more aggressive and will be more likely to handle problems on their own.
>>
>>2170058
that guy is SEXY
>>
What dog treats does /an/ use? I 'd like to not feed my dog shitty or poisonous treats.
>>
>>2171164
Home cooked chicken/lamb/beef/duck (whatevers left from dinner pretty much) only for the park since it's the only thing that seems to make him listen at the park.

Schmackos Strapz broken up into smaller pieces for walks.

Fruit and dried liver treats for home
>>
File: 1468372805596.png (415KB, 960x839px) Image search: [Google]
1468372805596.png
415KB, 960x839px
>>2170142
I actually have done anything for dental work.

I feel horrible for it but I just can't afford it.
>>
>>2171164
I just bought these
>https://www.amazon.com/Botanics-Training-Rewards-Treats-20-Ounce/dp/B007VGE2X2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469013882&sr=8-3&keywords=training+treats
and my doggo fuckin loves em. I think she'd jump off a bridge for one.
>>
What makes a 'good training session?' I see people talking about having a training session with their dog but what does that entail? Should I be practicing one thing at a time repeatedly? Or going sit-down-stay-look at me-spin-sit-spin etc
>>
>>2171164
Cyanide tablets
>>
Is it weird that I worry about my doggo all the time? I just got her and everytime I leave for school or even when I'm at home I'm worried sick I'm doing something wrong, she'll choke on this or that, I'm training her incorrectly etc
>>
>>2170058
mfw i will never be that dog
>>
>>2170745
>Florida
>sheep farming

pls no
>>
>>2171385
Florida has native sheep. They're actually one of the oldest breeds in North America.
>>
I remember this dog I met a few years back. He was a big ol pitbull type we called Boy, REALLY liked to be petted. Seriously, he bully you for pets. He would follow you around and try to cut you off if you tried to walk away, if you refused to pet him he would try to take your hand in his mouth (though he would never bite), and if you tried to raise your hands to where he couldn't reach, he would just jump on you to get to them. He was pretty chill dog otherwise. Reminds me of another pitbull my grandma had, she was really friendly though she didn't take too kindly to other dogs. She'd bark and howl up a storm if she saw another dog, though I've never seen her try to fight one of them. It was cute when she wagged her tail. She would wag so hard it seemed like she was wagging her entire body.
>>
>>2170074
I mix it up. Every five meals I give my dog a mix of both. I just hate picking up soft stool.
>>
>>2170243
He's probably easily distracted outside? Try a very tantalizing treat when you're outside.
>>
>>2171392
>Florida has native sheep.
Nope, that's not a thing
>>
>>2170074
I only feed a good quality kibble. For anything besides toy dogs, feeding only wet food is insanely cost prohibitive.
>>
Just found out today that my dog has heartworm, even though he has shown no symptoms. I'm planning on getting a second opinion. But just in case he does have them, do you guys know how much it's gonna cost to kill those fucking things?
>>
What does everyone leave their puppers to play with while they're crated? Mine did not go for the Kong with peanut butter and kibble so I assume she slept all day(about 9 hours) or knawed on the rope.
>>
>>2171645
One of my rescues had heartworms when I got her. The shelter treated her (wasn't their fault -- got it from some trash city's pound where they rescued her).

The disease is usually asymptomatic until the worms can really begin to multiple and there is a huge large parasitic load in the dog. So it is very common for the dog to show no symptoms in the early stages of the infection. Get a second opinion if you don't believe the vet, but it will probably come up positive.

As per cost, depends on the dog plus how severe the infestation is. It can range anywhere from 400-1500 dollars. There is really only one drug on the market that cures it, plus many vets like to have xrays and other diagnoses to see how severe the infection is. May be unnecessary for your pooch because it sounds like he is in the early stages of the infection.

The recovery time on it is brutal by the way. He will need two weeks of hardcore bed rest literal no exercise. The first two weeks after the initial treatment are really rough. After that, he needs to be on low exercise for 4 to 6 months for the worms to continue to die and work their way out of his system. If he gets his heart rate up too much for too long (it is more of a duration of excitement than actual excitement), the worms can result in an embolism and cause major damage (even death).

All and all, please please have learned your lesson and keep him on a preventative for the rest of his life. This isn't going to be a fun few months for you or him. He's going to be in a tremendous amount of pain for the initial 2 weeks after treatment, and the low activity is probably going to be rough on him. We all make mistakes, but it is so important to learn from your mistakes going forward.

Cheers anon. Hoping the best for your doggo dude.
>>
>>2170058
whats the absolute cheapest way i can feed a tiny dog without risking health issues?
>>
>>2171665
You can spend zero dollars by getting someone else to feed it, forever.
>>
what are some commands to teach my dog
>>
>>2171652
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm lucky in a way since my dog, a golden retriever, is pretty calm and doesn't get exited unless someone tries to rile him up.

It's a load off my mind to know that its still in its initial stages.
>>
>>2170071
I like this guy, he blows dominance the fuck out.
>>
>>2171724
Look at me, sit, down, stay, heel, faster, slower, spin, bang bang,
>>
>>2171744
How do I accomplish heel, faster, and slower?
>>
>>2171745
Post less on a swedish fish forum and work with your doggo
>>
>>2171746
sure
>>
>>2171747
There's YouTube videos that can explain better/faster than me. I'm a noob too
>>
File: 2016-07-12 17.08.51.jpg (1018KB, 2000x1485px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-12 17.08.51.jpg
1018KB, 2000x1485px
here's my doggo from before.
her vulva has been puffy for over a week now (seems like the shelter spayed her while she was still in heat)
big dog other day tried to mount her
will puffy vulva go away?
>>
>shave my small dogs long fur
>large dog won't stop bullying/trying to lick/playbite shaved dog now

wtf
>>
Is it normal that my dog pants excessively and lays down for like a half hour after exercise?

I take him for a walk/play ball with him everyday. After the 40 minute walk, I am not tired yet he is exhausted, and he gets more exercise than me. I've asked the vet if he has a heart problem twice (didn't do x-rays though) they said no.
>>
>>2172476
How do you know it's excessive?
>>2172476
>>
>>2170242
I used to work for a microchip company. The chip doesn't really hold any legal power - usually ownership would be determined by whoever the pet is registered to under the city licence or the name on the vet records. Figure out which company the chip is registered with and then check on their site or call (most are 24 hours) and ask about the transfer process.
>>
>>2171246
I usually spend a few minutes alternating between tricks.

My dog sometimes likes to guess what the next command will be or combine what he knows, so he'll lie down and "speak" at the same time, before I even ask him to do anything
>>
File: IMAG0095.jpg (466KB, 488x816px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0095.jpg
466KB, 488x816px
>>2172558
Cracks me up when dogs do this, pretty much all of the family dogs will pre-empt us in this way, usually if I have a high value treat (real meat like chicken or sausage) as opposed to a low value treat like a dog biscuit. I find it easier to train my dog with low value treats for this reason; he gets obssessed with getting a high value treat and can't focus on the actual training.
>>
>>2171246

Depends on your goals.
>>
>>2171313

She should be crated in a safe place when you're gone and never left alone for more than 3 hours at a time.
>>
>>2172476

Humans are very good at staying cool in hot weather, and dogs aren't. It's possible that your dog is overheating, anon
>>
>>2172476
Your dog may just be over heated like
>>2172784 said. My dog has a full snow dog coat and has been panting excessively for the past two days that there's been a heatwave here. There's nothing wrong with him, the panting is good, it's how dogs regulate their body temperature. Having said that I take measures to make life more comfortable for him, I frequently spray him with cold water from a spray bottle, give him frozen treats (even ice chunks to lick), never walk him whilst the sun is at its strongest (noon to 6pm), never walk him for too long, keep windows open in my apartment etc.
>>
>>2172741
>She should be crated in a safe place when you're gone and never left alone for more than 3 hours at a time.
Pretty much no one agrees with you on that time frame.
>>
How many rawhide bones can my dog get a day? She loves em, but I'm not sure if I want her eating more than 1/2+ per day
They're 100% rawhide
>>
>>2172856
Rawhide is really divisive. Most people view it was bad for the dog. Expect to get shat on for saying you give your dig rawhide.
>>
>>2172865
Y tho? What's a good substitute?
>>
>>2172916
Harder dog biscuits.
>>
>>2172916
Nylabone is a popular choice.
>>
>>2172922
How about marrow bones? I've got some beer hocks
>>
>>2172928
Beef* hocks
>>
>>2172927
Seconding nylabones. Reasonably economical and will last for at least a few weeks against 90% of doggos. They are a godsend for my chewers.

Bully sticks are good if you are fucking loaded.

I have a friend who swears by pig ears and antlers for her newfies. Cannot say I have ever tried either personally. Pig ears seem good, but definitely not something you can feed on a regular basis.

>>2172928
Bones can also be dangerous for dogs. They can chip and cause impactions.
>>
>>2172916
Read about the process they are made. Rawhide is essentially a byproduct of thr tanning process, and you need all kinds of chemicals to separate the layers of hide. Even "organic" raw hide will often be treated like this. Shit is bad.

It can also pose a massive choking hazard. Next time you are at your vet, ask him or her how often they pull that Crap out of a pet's throat.
>>
>>2172941
I've used cow ears for my dogs and they loved it, but they finish it in 30 minutes and they are not cheap enough to use on a daily basis.
>>
>>2172943
Then I will definitely avoid rawhide. Fuck that.
>>2172941
Yea I'm not loaded in any sense of the word, but I like to treat my girl right
>>
Does anyone else use brother/sister to describe the relationship between their dogs even if they aren't liter mates?
>>
>>2172982
I know people that do but I refer to them as buddies or friends.
>>
>>2172784
>>2172792
Yeah you guys are probably right. He is shorthaired and i never walk him at the hottest times of the day though
>>
File: dog-37-new.jpg (49KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
dog-37-new.jpg
49KB, 650x488px
I love in Texas and it's been hot as balls this summer. My dog likes to lay in the sun during peak sun and I'm worried if it's too hot and she simply doesn't know any better. Is this okay or should I force her out of the sun?
>>
>>2173001
It's hard when you see your dog seemingly in distress but the best you can do is to try and relieve his discomfort during warmer months by doing stuff I mentioned in
>>2172792 and whatever else you think will work with your dogger. I hope your dog is just overheated and there are no serious issues, seems you've taken your dog to the vet and they haven't spotted anything else?
>>
>>2173099
I disagree. Move said dog indoors.
>>
File: anpupresize.jpg (580KB, 752x1133px)
anpupresize.jpg
580KB, 752x1133px
Did a sketch of a dog from this board, figured I'd post it.

If you see this you have a 10/10 pup.
>>
>>2173055
My dog does this too (coincidentally we live in TX as well). When we go outside for our noon potty break, he'll roll around in the grass, and plop down and bask happily.

I usually sit down on the grass with him and let him for a little bit. We're not going to be out there for an hour... letting him enjoy the sun for 10 or 15 minutes couldn't possibly hurt him.
>>
>>2173116

I thought it was my dog for a sec but mine has flipflop ears. Wonderful sketch. I've always had trouble getting dimension to the face and snout, so I'm impressed with the doggo's face.
>>
File: jvLNu.jpg (83KB, 459x431px) Image search: [Google]
jvLNu.jpg
83KB, 459x431px
https://youtu.be/MxIVE9vWyas?t=2m39s
>>
File: 318_1_.png (36KB, 360x361px) Image search: [Google]
318_1_.png
36KB, 360x361px
>>2173126
>>
>>2172229
a-are you memeing
>>
>>2173126
I bet you screech like an autismo when someone kills cats lol
>>
>>2173123
>>2173126
I pity you
>>
Anyone have any experience with pancreatitis? Just brought doggo back from the hospital yesterday. The dr said there was nothing more but surgery they could do for her (found out also they were OD-ing her on pepcid) and she wasnt responding to food or water yet now at home she seems to have her thirst and appetite back. How much water did you give your dog at a time roughly? Don't want to make her sick.
>>
>>2173241
should clarify, wanted to do surgery to put her Iv's/ feeding tube in and wanted to euthanize her if we didnt choose that so we brought her home and she seems good.. just thirsty and hungry!
>>
What are some of the better mentally stimulating dog toys out there? Or some fun games/toys I can play/make?
>>
>>2173257
Seriously, know your dogger. It differs so drastically nobody here can answer that, my dog couldn't give a flying fuck about toys he knows whos involved or not and he takes it personally if I'm not involved. He is part GSD and they have a baseline IQ of stupid people so I feel its; hard to try and get anything past him
Just do your best to make his life not boring.
>>
>>2173257
Kongs. Not only are there the classic butt plug style Kongs, but there are a good few more food related toys they make. I cannot say I have used anything beyond the butt plug ones though.

As per mentally stimulating games, try Simon Says. See how many commands he can do in a row and give him a treat when he does so many. Stretch it out more and more. There is also just straight out teaching him more tricks.

You can also teach him to go find hidden treats. Have him stay in another room, and call him and let him go at it.
>>
>>2173275
Thanks m8, I've had my GSD for like a week I can't say I know her inside and out yet. But I'll just keep trying new things.
>>2173276
Do you mean an actual Simon Says with the four colors? Or the game were you say "Simon says do x." she's pretty smart, I'm sure she could do either.
>>
File: IMG_20130118_220022.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130118_220022.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2173294
You sound like a good guy who will only do the best for the dog, I wish you the best man. Know this - your dog will be an absolute reflection of what you put into it, and I promise you you, if you love that dog it will defend you with its life and without question. Be patient.
>>
>>2173296
Definitely dude, unfortunately I'm still in school for another 9 months so I'm trying to give her as much attention as possible with what time I've got. Luckily I've got a little piece of land and a house out in the country I inherited so as soon as I graduate me and her are gonna move out there and I can shower her with attention. For now we just gotta deal with city life with means I'm looking for a lot of mental stimulation. Thanks for all the ideas
>>
Parents adopted a dog out of nowhere and he's pretty cute. Problem is, my cat won't go near any room he's in and hisses at any surprise sight of him.
Before they met I tried to just keep them separated for a few days to accumulate a scent, switch rooms, and then have them meet but mom decided to just carry him into my room so that plan is over with.
What can I do to get them to live together?
>>
>>2173126
>>2173188

Hurting animals in general is a piece of shit thing to do.

Dogs were literally bred to be friendly to people. It's like betraying the trust of a friend.
>>
getting a long hair chihuahua puppy next week
what should i expect?
>>
>>2173386
I feel that way exactly, to be cruel and kill dogs just feels like a huge betrayal.
>>
>>2173384
Do it again and make sure your mum doesn't fuck it up again. Tell she what you're doing so she'll understand. Leave a lead on your dog so you can restrain him when your cat is around and frightened, get him to sit. You have to show your cat that the dog is harmless.
>>
My dog was diagnosed with kidney failure today.

The vet recommended she needed to be put to sleep.

Tomorrow we're going to spend all day at the beach and in the park, then have a wonderful steak for her dinner.

I feel dead inside.
>>
>>2173442
that awful anon, atleast you can have one final good day with her
>>
>>2170154
Buy tasty toothpaste. Let them lick it off your finger first, then try rubbing their gums with it a bit. Gradually change to a finger brush and then a toothbrush
>>
>>2173384
As someone who has introduced dogs to cats several times now, you really just need time. You did right and now the cat just needs time to acclimate to the change in its environment. Cats are very neurotic creatures.

I've honestly never even done everything you did, and my cats tolerate my dogs very well. Give it time and the cat will work things out. It just needs time to adapt to the ch age in its environment.
>>
How do Dalmatians do as a family pet?
>>
>>2170058
I'm fat, messy and unkept. It's not strange for my apartment to get extremely dirty, it's Tony it still.
I was thinking that buying a dog could help me with that, I kind of thought heh of i can commit to walking to this big ass park that's 30 blocks away regularly for half a year I can buy a jack Russell, like I proved to myself I can do it.
Is this a good idea?
>>
>>2173442
I'm really really sorry anon. Even though it'll be hard, try to enjoy the last day along her side.
>>
File: sW3tu1w.jpg (210KB, 792x3032px) Image search: [Google]
sW3tu1w.jpg
210KB, 792x3032px
>>2173725
>>
>>2173738
Well that's why I have to earn it first by walking to the park long enough on my own
>>
>>2173749
If you manage to do that then go for it, if you do it long enough than at that point it becomes a walking buddy rather than a reason to have to get up.
>>
>>2170058
Does anyone cook food for their own doggos? My wife wants me to give it an shot for our baby German shepherd. I'm down for it as I like to cook myself.
>>
My dog has another loose tooth. Looks like I got to pull it with pliers again.
>>
File: English_Shepherd.jpg (2MB, 2100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
English_Shepherd.jpg
2MB, 2100x1500px
Got an English Shepherd dog reserved from a local breeder. He'll be mine very soon

What am I in for? What can I expect?
>>
>>2173832
Mine's a puppy, pic isn't actually it
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 256x197px
How are corgis in apartments?
>>
>>2173725
>I'm fat, messy, and unkempt. It's not strange for my apartment to get extremely dirty
cmon dude
>>
>>2173840
It's great that you are in a place where you get to judge people who you never met and have no idea about what happened in their lives but you may want to at least ask one question before judging every mistake I may or may not have made
>>
>>2173725
Don't buy a dog to change your lifestyle. Change your lifestyle then buy the dog.
>>
Came across a "wild" dog. Maybe a collie? Idk. Just along side the road in the middle of nowhere. Didn't seem viscious so I approached, gave her some trail mix and now she loves me. So she hesitantly gets in the car, I'm guessing she hates cars because she threw up and shat everywhere while drooling buckets, but I drove to the nearest 6 houses and asked if it was theirs or if they'd seen it where I could return it. No luck.
Took her home for the night.
Shared breakfast with her, checked her over for injuries, ticks, fleas, junk like that.
Discover that I'm preeeeeetty sure she's pregnant.
Idk what to do. If I take her to a shelter Idk how to explain that without getting eye rolled to death like I'm dumping this responsibility on them. Hell, I'd gladly keep the dog but what do I do about the pups? Would the shelter take better care of it than I would? Would they just abort the pups? I'm at a loss for what to do.
>>
>>2173839
Pretty energetic. They're a herding dog and need a lot of physical and mental activities daily. Staying inside even on rainy days is a no-go.
>>2173832
Questions you should have asked before reserving it.
>>2173725
Seems to me you have enough responsibilities that should be addressed before taking on more.
>>2173442
Make it count
>>
File: 1450574899791.jpg (56KB, 740x980px) Image search: [Google]
1450574899791.jpg
56KB, 740x980px
Is Advantage the best I can do for flea protection for my dog? And if I want tick protection what should I get?
>>
>>2174067
It's almost like you already had this thread.
>>
>>2173807
I'd try a grilled or boiled chicken diet with whole grain rice. Sometimes I'll mix a bit of sweet potato or leafy green into it. My dog loves it.
>>
>>2174028
The shelter would prob put all of them down anon desu. I'd look at different dog rescue organizations in your area. Idk if they'll take the mom but I know most take pups for sure.
>>
My doggo has started coughing on and off, not interested in food, and has the runs. Is this vet worthy?
>>
>>2174180
Thanks for the insight. I'm not familiar with any rescue organizations in my area but I will Google it.
I don't want to give up on her. So I'm going to hit up any organizations I can. Figure out what they can do for me, maybe contact friends, put out free to good home stuff... idk. Thank you.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
This is little Misha, she's only 8 weeks old and just came home with me.
>>
So there's a metric ass load of theses stupid ass shitbugs fucking around in my room. Whats a great way to kill them all with household shit.
>>
I adopted a dog from the shelter not so long ago. He's some kind of retriever mutt. Pretty chill, plays around the house, cuddles up to sleep, we don't have a fence so I keep him on a line when we go in the yard and got a harnes & leash for walks.

I'm trying to get him to play fetch somewhere other than the park and to do so I need to take him off the leash.
My plan is to take these 2 60foot lines and tie them together with one end around me and one on his harness so he can chase the ball but not run off.

Is there a better option I'm not seeing?
>>
>>2174729
There are commercially available leads that long. I think I've seen them on amazon before.
>>
>>2174731
Pardon my misuse of the word line; that is what I have. 2 of them to be exact.
>>
File: bandana dog.jpg (153KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
bandana dog.jpg
153KB, 1024x683px
What does /an/ think of bandanas on dogs?
>>
>>2174793
Good for having something to clean their drool with, it only occurred to me after always having to carry towels in the car.
>>
I have two dogs, one loves everyone, the other isn't aggressive but isn't what you'd consider friendly. She likes who she likes and if she doesn't like you she will simply walk away from you, strangers, children who try to play with her. No growling, no nipping, nothing that stands out to me.

Sister volunteers to dog sit a friend's dog for 3 days.

This is all done and over with and nothing became of it but the not super friendly dog of mine would just circle and circle this small dog we babysat. Like a prey Bird or something. Wouldn't stop to sniff it, wouldn't growl, just would walk circles around this thing. I made her stop and I'm assuming it's some dominance thing. Is there a situation I can put her in to train her out of this behavior? Is it just nothing?
>>
>>2174793
looks gey on some dogs
>>
>>2174211
Yeah dogs don't usually stop eating for no reason. And the runny stool combined is usually a sign of something gastrointestinal. Would take them in to make sure everything's ok
>>
does anyone else express their dog's anal glands
>>
>>2174883
No. My dog needs it done at least once a month and I take him to the vet for it. Walk-in, 10 minutes, and 15 dollars.

Heard it is some fucking vile ass shit. Supposed to smell like rotting fish that have been out in the sun for several days.
>>
File: IMG_0299.jpg (118KB, 1328x747px)
IMG_0299.jpg
118KB, 1328x747px
just thought i'd post this pupper
>>
>>2174729
Take him to local tennis courts, they're usually fenced in. That's what I'm doing
>>
>>2174963
That sounds like a lovely idea except there aren't tennis courts here other than an indoor YMCA thing and they only allow service dogs in there. Thanks for the idea though, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>2174733
No. I meant you can buy a 100 foot lead. No need to jury rig it.
>>
Should I be teaching sit and sit-stay as two different commands? Same with down/down-stay.

How did you incorporate stay into sit/down? I command sit(only really works at home, problem #2) and she sits but then pretty much immediately moves on. I think i was rewarding too quickly

>>2174970
No prob m8, good luck
>>
When and bkw should I begin transitioning from being crated while I'm at work to closed into one room with the crate door open? My doggo isn't afraid of the crate and willingly goes in but I feel like 8-9 hours might be a little too much even with kongs full of chicken and peanut butter and chew toys
>>
My dog is so standoffish. I thought it would get better in time but I've had her for a year and she's not any more affectionate. :/
>>
>>2174983
I've always taught them as separate commands. Don't sweat "rewarding too soon", this is pretty easy to fix. Instead of going straight to a "stay" command I would teach your dog "oops/uh-oh".

You will have to go back to sit and lay down. Command sit and when the dog gives you an acceptable sit verbally praise it (personally I use a clicker but if you don't have one or haven't started training with that route in mind then words work just as well) to reward the behavior and then approach with a treat. Should the behavior break before you can give it a treat tell the dog "oops/uh-oh" and do not give the treat. This works well in my experience to get the dog to understand small dissapointments and that you wanted something else but th at aren't in trouble.
If you can do that a handful of times for a few days start extending the time it takes from verbal reward to physical reward. This will make "stay" a cakewalk when you get to it.
Once you deem the sit and lay down commands learned you can start phasing out the treats for petting or whatever positive reinforcement you want.

Now you have taught 3 commands, sit down, lay down, and oops you messed up. The hardest part of this is that you're going to set your dog up to fail most likely. You're going to command sit and verbally reward it, then (most start while facing the dog) walk away, when the sit command is broken use Oops to let the dog know they screwed up and go back to sit WITHOUT a verbal reward. Now the dog knows it knows sit and it knows that is what you asked for but it knows that it did something wrong and will want to know how to please you so it's energy can be very ungrounded here from confusion but you're going to do fine. You will again take a few steps away from the dog giving it the stay command and hold for a second before verbally praising and then rewarding with a treat.

Extend that time, extend the distance, try turning to face away from the dog. This will take time and if you sense
>>
>>2175622
- that your dog is overloaded there is no shame in taking breaks and coming back to it later.
>>
>>2175201
Yeah, that's a pretty long time to be left alone even in one room. I know that's not the info you wanted to hear...
Dogs usually won't interact with toys while their master isn't around and you might want to use extra caution for what they have available to chew on since they won't be supervised (namely you said chicken and you'd want to watch for bones especially and breakage on the chew toy; I wouldn't tell you this if it weren't a possibility that happens)

Now to answer your question.
That's great that your dog isn't afraid of the crate . Congratulations, that's awesome.
I did mention that's a long time to leave a dog alone and in my experience with folks urinating/defecating is one of the concerns they have for such a situation. So I would advise you take a day that you have off from work (I'm assuming this long period of time is for work) and ease into it. Set your dog up like you're going to leave for work like any other day, put it in the cage but don't close it, then "leave for work", go outside but in earshot of the house because if you have neighbors barking can be another concern.
Stay out for half an hour-an hour then come back and inspect the house. Wet spots, turds, chewed furniture etc.
Then increase the time you're gone.
I would say report back but I might not be here so I will mention that some people have had great success with turning a radio on to give them something to listen to, you'll do well to be mindful of the Windows the dog can see out of, what kind of traffic it can view out of those windows.
Best of luck, really.
>>
>>2175633
What kind of radio do you think? Npr has nice voices but I don't want my doggo to turn into a limp wristed beta
>>
>>2175712
Really depends on your location and what's available.
I'd personally try to find a Spanish station since I don't speak Spanish to my dogs or a purely 24/7 instrumental station so they don't hear voices that on an off chance might sound like mine.
>>
Is it okay to dribble some chicken or beef broth (like 2-3 table spoons) in kibble to soften it up or is water a better choice? I'd like to vary up the taste of my dog's dry food, so I was curious if this is something that people do.
>>
>>2175911
Perfectly fine. Just make sure to wash the bowl.
>>
>>2175911
Make sure to buy stock/broth without sodium!!!
>>
>>2174793
My doggo had one, can be awful on some tho
>>
Transitioning my dog from rawhide to nylabone, how do? He's not interested in it at all, I think cause it doesn't break off and he can't eat it.
>>
>>2176244
Rub something he does like on it.
>>
>>2176253
Can I leave him created with it while I go to work do you think? I'm wondering if the time alone with it might get him interested
>>
>>2176254
I wouldnt. One of my friends made that mistake and her dog ended up choking on it.
>>
>>2176296
Wow really? On a nylabone? They seem fairly indestructible
>>
guess the doggo /an/
>>
>>2176406
Probably tried to eat it. It's always advisable to supervise your dog while chewing.
>>
>>2174229
Wow is that a map spitz
>>
>out walking my dog
>moves over to the kerb to take a shit
>does it over the edge and onto the side of the road
>every single time

what the fucks his problem
>>
>>2176428
Yeah but a large nylabone for heavy chewers? That seems unlikely
>>2176499
Did you ever praise him for that behavior?
>>
Who else here throws poisoned meat into the backyards of people who own useless breed dogs and BYB German Shepherds? I can't fucking stand irresponsible pet owners, so I've decided to make the world a better place.
>>
>>2176499
>Did you ever praise him for that behavior?

no, just praised him on his first few walks for doing it at all
he only started doing this when he was about 6 months, and hes 10 months now, just shits wherever when hes at a park or something
>>
My mom took her dog to a new vet. She suggested switching dog's food to Purina, Eukanuba, or Pedigree. I was always under the impression that those brands were the McDonalds of dog food. Should I tell her to never go back to that vet again?
>>
I had to put my 13-year-old Huskey down today. Feels pretty bad man.
>>
File: 14696477493241702994214.jpg (3MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
14696477493241702994214.jpg
3MB, 2976x2976px
Pupper passed out in the crate
>>
>>2176692
>have bed
>can't make it
>>
File: 20160714_195939.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160714_195939.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2176697
Weird thing is, he doesn't ever sleep on his bed, he prefers the hard plastic
>>
whats a good wrasslin doggo, dog wrasslin is my passion
>>
>>2176795
buy a polish woman
>>
>>2176423

A meme pupper, but they're one of the better ones.
>>
>>2176254
Dogs often times don't interact with things when they're left alone.
I'm the off chance it does you wouldn't want it to choke while you're gone.
>>
>>2176423
Mutt
>>
>>2176847
Have you been to jail?
>>
>>2176852
Well don't lock your dog up until you have a feel for this shit.
>>
>>2176406
>>2176428
What anon said tried to eat it. Was a fairly large bone also. She came home with her dog dead and half of the bone stuck in its mouth
>>
My mom's dog just scared away a door to door salesman. 10/10. I told it "good job" while they were still in ear shot.

Their face was priceless.
>>
>>2176847
You think being crated with a bone is going to be much more stimulating for 8 hours?
Most times while you're away your dog sleeps.
>>
I have/had a dog.

when I moved for College he stood with my mom and now they are so attached he had bouts of depression when she leaves to the point where he actually has seizures.

I have a couple of questions here:
1. how can I help him alleviate this? My mom is just as attached to him as he is to her, without the seizures and I could never take him back with me after I graduate. I do want him to be more self-reliant though, but it seems another dog might be the best case since he is incredibly happy with other dogs. unfortunately his best friend was killed by a car after a hole appeared in the fence. Which leads me to my 2nd question

2. Would be be bad if I personally got a new dog for myself? As you mightve noticed animals are a huge deal in this family, we love them to death and I was banking on having my bro back but now I cant. However my dog still goes crazy when I visit home and I wouldnt want him to be angry over it, he is INCREDIBLY jealous. I wont be living with my parent but I would visit often and of course my new dog would come with me, I always feel as though this is betraying him in some way, what do you guys think?

if not, what do you guys recommend in getting a new dog? I think if I do get one I would want something big enough to run with and big enough to be a guard dog for my home. I'm fairly active and have been wanting a dog I could go on runs with. I know everyone will tell me to visit an animal shelter first, and that is precisely what I will do but for some reason those seem to leave me concerned and its hard to get a puppy from them and thats just honestly what I would like. Any ideas? The dog I currently have is the first dog where I've chosen it based on its breed and he is only mixed so really throughout my life every animal we've had has sort of been a rescue.
>>
>>2173725
Bad Idea. A dog is a huge responsibility, he will be your dependant but also your firmist friend. Learn to look after yourself first, then buy a dog.
>>
File: 20160713_163415.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_163415.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Meet Sampson, the standard Schnauzer pup. He already knows sit, wait, drop, shake and to go to the toilet outside. At 14 weeks I'm impressed by my little guy!
>>
I'm getting a little corgi pupper soon and I have no idea what to name him. How do you guys pick names? Do you guys have any suggestions?
>>
>>2176590
I feed my pup Black Hawk. He loves it and it's completely organic. Pretty pricey though.
>>
>>2177082
Thunderpussy
>>
>>2177083

Completely not what he was asking about at all
>>
File: 20160727_221758.jpg (1007KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_221758.jpg
1007KB, 2560x1536px
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the breeds of my pupper or is that impossible? We know he's part Black Lab (obviously) or do you need better pictures?
>>
Does anyone know of a good brand for tear stain removal?
>>
>>2177082
Stick to 1 or 2 syllables.
Avoid names that end in a strong E. (Sparky, Sadie , Izzy for example because nothing says basic more than a meme dog with a meme name.)
>>
>>2177055
Let your dog stay with mum.
Spend some time without a dog. Make sure old dog is ok with the situation first before getting another responsibility.
>>
>>2177099
Pitbull/lab mix, a/k/a the most ubiquitous shelter mutt in the US.
>>
>>2176567
Welp, something similar just happened to me. Went running with my doggo this morning and she randomly stopped and took a shit in the bike lane. That was embarrassing....
>>
someone put an ad up locally that they didnt want this doggo anymore so i got the doggo.

still waiting to figure out what the catch is. doggo loves snuggles and pets but has no obedience training, no leash experience. housebroken tho. vet check up on saturday, as long as it's not like heartworm it'll be good i think
>>
>>2177405
Even heartworms aren't a massive deal senpai. It's expensive to treat them, but it is 100% treatable.

Hoping the best for the pup. He looks like a very dapper gentleman.
>>
File: 20160728_112017.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px)
20160728_112017.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Humble small dog for a small living space.
>>
>>2177405
They probably just didn't want to take care of anything besides themselves anymore. Did he transition into your place well?
>>
>take dog to the vet for weird growth that popped up in less than 2 weeks time
>hope it's fatty deposit or fluids
>just got the results back
>malignant sarcoma
> $1200 surgery for a 15 Year old dog

I don't know what to do. I've had this dog for 15 years. I love her so much; she's been my world since I was a teenager. Will she be fine for a few more years if I do the surgery, or will she deteriorate quickly? She's absurdly healthy besides the tumor. I don't know what to do.
>>
Just got back from a training consult at my local dog behavior place. My dog is already pretty well behaved but I want him to do obedience 1/2 to really get his bases strong and then test for good canine citizen. I also want to do off leash training for when we go hiking and shit

The trainer there said the quickest way to off lease is an e-collar which makes me a little wary. I though that negative reinforcement only trained your dog to behave when the reinforced is present. I'd rather build a bond by having my dog want to follow commands not cause he has to. Am I right to be worried? Should I look elsewhere?
>>
>>2177824
None of us are fortune tellers but if you arent ready to say good bye and the vet believes her condition is stable after I would go for it.
Similar situation and had 4 more beautiful years with mine til she passed.
>>
>>2177078
very cute doggo thanks for posting
>>
File: police-dogs-waiting-food.jpg (65KB, 640x414px) Image search: [Google]
police-dogs-waiting-food.jpg
65KB, 640x414px
>>
>>2177927
Wow, that's awesome
>>
>want a dog but don't have the space or time for it
>had a cat but it was a relationship of mutual hatred
>live alone
:^(
>>
>>2177824
Have you had a second opinion? I don't want this to sound like false hope but my first vet said my dog had a tumor and when we went to a different hospital to get their thoughts, the doctor just scoffed and said based on the feeling of the bump and lack of other symptoms (literally nothing + and my dog wasn't even 2 at the time) it wouldn't be worth our time for him to X-ray it. It went away after a few weeks
>>
File: IMG_0855.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0855.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
We had to put down the dog my family has had for over 16 years (lived to be over 17.5) on the 8th. it makes it a little easier because I haven't lived at home for over a year, but I'm still taking it hard. I went back today and my mom gave me a card that the vets sent us with her paw print and some hair in a pink bow and now i'm crying all over again. I know it will get easier but right now I'm just sad.
>end blog post
>>
File: 1422079378164.jpg (58KB, 640x466px) Image search: [Google]
1422079378164.jpg
58KB, 640x466px
What should I do if my dog is afraid of storms? He paces around panting and jumps up on me constantly. If I pick him up he immediately tries to jump off and repeats the cycle. He doesn't calm down until an entire hour after the storm has passed.

Please send help, I love my doggo and don't want him to be sad.
>>
>>2177978
Sounds like they did a biopsy, which it's pretty hard to misdiagnose a benign mass as a sarcoma
>>2177991
Does he have shorts moments where he's a little calm? Praise him and give treats when he does. Ignore all other behavior during the storm, turn your body away, no eye contact, dont talk to him.
>>
>>2173442
Its hard, its really hard, but just because they go it doesn't mean you have to stop loving them. You know there is nothing you can do and you gave them a great life. I know that won't make it easier, you will need a few weeks to come to terms with it, to cry and feel sad, but it will get better.
Im sorry anon
>>
>>2170243
breed?
>>
>>2172229
wat
>>
>>2177983
My dog died today, I feel terrible because I could have done more to save him
>>
>>2177846
Bump.
>>
>>2177983
Wow that is such a sweet thing for your vet to have done.

I'm sorry anon. It's okay to cry about losing your best friend. Mourn how you need to. I4d completely okay.
>>
>>2178073
I'm really sorry anon. I don't know the details but try not to beat yourself up too hard over it, you probably did what you thought was right

>>2178257
Yeah, it really was. It got me fucked up again though when I was starting to feel a bit better. Thanks for your response
>>
>>2173153
>>2178036
I'm being serious though. Like her vulva is still a bit puffy. Is that supposed to happen with bitches?
>>
File: 20160703_220608.jpg (213KB, 960x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20160703_220608.jpg
213KB, 960x1600px
Doggo love
>>
>>2177846
>>2178250
Can I get another bump!
>>
/an/ do you clicker train? I never have but wondering if I should try a clicker with the doggo who could use a little more training. I'd love to test for CGC. I was looking at training classes, wasn't sure if I should look at training that uses a clicker or not.
>>
>>2170243
(1) Put him on leash
(2) Have him sit and stay
(3) Walk to edge of leash
(4) Blow whistle and pull simultaneously
(5) Reward when he gets to you
(6) Repeat

That might work.
>>
>>2178477
I'm the guy bumping the thread above you wondering about E collars. I use a clicker, and it is very effective.
>>
About to get my first real dog ever ( When I was a kid we Had some dogs in our yard which is in the military area, dad is an officer. Soldiers took care of them most of the time)

Im thinking of American Staffordshire Terrier. We live in an apartment. No yard but we got our apartments private park and another community park right around the corner. Me and my brother can walk-run the dog twice (Up to 1 hour) a day.

We don't want to deal with a lot of sheddings, I'm confident about giving the dog proper training - exercise - discipline and affection. Watched a lot of "Dog Whisperer" and ready to read dog-care related books. It gets as cold as -5 Degrees Celsius and as hot as 35 Degrees Celsius here. The dog will be living indoors (We have a big balcony tho, around 20 square-meter with glass railings which isolates the whole balcony when necessary, when its too cold outside for example. If the dog can, it'd be much more comfortable for him to have his dog house or whatever in the balcony.)

Me and my brother are athletic - energetic guys that can tire the dog out. We love animals, house isnt too big, not too small either (Around 180 square-meter).

Would american staffordshire terrier be a good breed for us? I just like pitbulls and them not shedding alot and being easy to maintain (So they say online) are great pro's for me.
>>
File: 1383044101534.png (302KB, 400x541px) Image search: [Google]
1383044101534.png
302KB, 400x541px
>be me
>take new dog to off leash dog park
>probably a bad idea but hey I want to socialize her more, what better place than a dog park
>everything's pretty chill, she's just following me around, smelling stuff, mostly ignoring other dogs
>5 groups with different dogs at the park
>new couple shows up with high energy dog, prancing around, trying to get other dogs to play
>new dog squats to pee buy continues walking
>weird
>all the dogs start playing chasing, they're all chasing around one dog or each other who knows
>black pit/lab/something bowls over the high energy dog and it squeels
>I knew something was up and started to step in, though my girl was being perfectly fine
>everything mostly returns to normal
>2 minutes of chasing later everything turns to shit
>black dog latches onto high energy dogs ear/face
>high energy dogs owners freak out, woman is shrieking the dude is beating on the black lab
>I call my girl over, she's just looking at the fray but I want her nowhere near that shit
>she perks her ears but ignores
>me and good owner #1 go grab out dogs, leash them and walk away quietly
>black dog is still attached to high energy dogs head, everyone is yelling
Fuck that shit, I will never go back to a dog park. Even if I had 100% control over my girl you never know what other dogs are present. This black asshole was probably taken from her mother too young, never learned to play, never learned how to bite properly, and got tossed in a shelter before being adopted by her dumbass owner.
>>
my dog has a few fleas, and mother had great idea to use pinesol because she's anal about seeing them.

I rinsed him off and bathed him three times to get the toxins off, but he reeks of chemical. no effects so far but I'm a bit worried

adult mini schnauzer, 2-3 year
>>
>>2173840
Wow just don't get a hyper dog what in the fuck is wrong with you, no respect for self no dog
>>
How do you figure out what a dog likes to do for fun? I have two rescues. One is some kind of pit hound mix and loves to do everything: cuddle and watch TV, run, play with toys. He just loves life. The second is some kind of spaniel mix. Even though I have had her for almost a month now, but I just cannot find her thing. She likes walks but eventually will just stand still and refuse to go further unless we walk towards the house. Little interest in toys. She barely cares about treats so I cannot get her into agility or thigs like that. She also dorsnt even loke cuddles and TV time. All she seems to like to do is sleep, play with the other dog, and get belly rubs. This is a dumb cliche but she seems more like a cat than a dog personality wise.

Any ideas on things we can do together?
>>
>>2177414
>>2177562

Dog is doing well. Sadly the previous owner lied when she said she was spayed and that's unanticipated cost #1. #2 is she has whip worms and heart worms and so now everyone has a follow up vet appt next week.
>>
File: 20160730_112737.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160730_112737.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
What kind of dog is this?
>>
>>2179182
A strangely colored shih tzu.
>>
>>2179176
Hi there anon.

I helped another anon on heartworms here:
>>2171652

Hope this helps you! She looks like a very fancy little lady. She'll be 110% well again before you know it!
>>
Either I set my credit card down in a weird place or my dog ate it off my bed without leaving a single shred of evidence. Which is more likely? Vet time?
>>
>>2179182
Chewbacca
>>
>>2172229
It'll go away. Roomate's dog had similar thing.
>>
>>2179176
>>2179188

Thank you a ton anon! I botched that up though-- she actually came out heartworm free but she has whipworm. We already paid for treatment and it was only an extra $30- but I'm much more worried about the chance of spreading them to the other dogs.and contaminating the neighborhood. We are bringing the two other pups she's been around into the vet on Wednesday.
>>
>>2177991
That picture is a perfect metaphor for life
>>
How to deal with a roommate who is actively interfering with your doggo? I'm pretty sure he's feeding him stuff and refuses to stop using his name(I am training him to 'look at me' using his name rather than a 'look at me command).
>>
>>2179473
You:Stop feeding him
Roomate:Ok
>>
i know this is a stupid question but
>take it to the vet
This dumbfuck brother tried docking an older (6 weeks) pup and i cut the rubberband 2 hours later, should i be worried?
pls help
>>
>>2179514
Is it true you cant tell if a dog has hip dysplasia just by looking? My doggos(12 months old) hips are definitely set weird, the right one is definitely "larger" or I can feel the outside of it more and it's further back than the left. But he sits pretty normally, runs, sprints, jumps up tall embankments, jump on us, onto the counter, runs up stairs etc. There doesn't seem to be any indication of pain and he sleeps on his left as much as his right... We're gonna go see a vet but I'm just worried. Not because I paid a breeder 1000+ for the dog or some retarded shit people get up to but I just want him to live a good life with lots of runs and fun agility stuff
>>
Do dogs ever get tired of barking? The neighbour's dog barks in the same pattern for hours, holy shit
>>
>>2180059
Its cause he has a shit owner that doesn't exercise him. Call the police, report a nuisance.
>>
I'm about to bring home a lil pupper in a few weeks (he'll be 8 weeks old then) and someone told me I should watch out for behavioral problems and if he does have problems I'll have to take him back. I told that guy he'll only be 8 weeks and he'll be too young to have "behavioral problems" and just be acting like a puppy but he was insisting that was a thing. I've literally never heard of that in my life. Is he full of shit?
>>
>>2180821
He's not wrong about behavior, but he is wrong about the 'having to take him back' part
>>
>>2180852
Well yeah I would assume a puppy is going to do regular puppy stuff which I've dealt with before but you can just train that out of them. I've never heard of anyone seeing a rambunctious puppy and saying "oh well he's got too many issues, gotta take him back"
>>
>>2180821
8 weeks is fine. Don't worry.
>>
Im tring to figure out what breed my dog is, Im told she is a pitbull mixed with a bull mastif.

Can anyone help me out ?
>>
>>2181037
side pic, i only have 2 pics
>>
>>2181037
>>2181038
My vote is lab/pit
>>
>>2181037
I definitely see the mastiff.
>>
File: 1469654079678.gif (927KB, 400x300px)
1469654079678.gif
927KB, 400x300px
>>2170058
So this is what I'll look like if I get /fit/. Still seems like a waste of effort if you have Greek tier body hair.
>>
My dog breaks every toy she plays with and tries to eat them. I even gave her a kong like pic related and she broke off the corners and tries to eat them. She ate the legs off of a round toy too.
Any toys I could give her?
Is tug of war actually good to play with dogs? That dude in the OP plays with them but other places say they make dogs aggressive
>>
I think my dog is allergic to something
I know it isn't fleas since the vet checked her for them once but I don't know what it could be or what I could do
>>
>>2181141
Probably her food. If you aren't feeding her grain free, start. Keep track of what the protein is and feed ones with a single source if you can.
>>
>>2181143
I am. This limited ingredient shit with potatoes and duck.
Dog eats better than me tbqh
>>
>>2181147
Awesome! Now try something without duck. The alternative is to get a very expensive allergy test.

When my moms dog had allergies I also supplemented with fish oil (krill is better) and Nupro supplements to help with her skin and coat.
>>
>>2181037
It has the hideous face of a pit. Looks like it's got some lab in it.
But there's no denying that God awful snout comes from a shit bull
>>
>>2178591
Oh look, another retard going to buy a pit bull.

Literally buy any other breed on the planet, don't buy a pit
>>
>>2181150
I'm thinking it might be grass or pollen outside but i dunno
Do you get supplements specifically for dogs? got an amazon link?
>>
>>2181037
what a fucking smug doggo
>>
>>2181178
https://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Pet-7412-Nupro-5-pounds/dp/B000084EEC/ref=pd_sim_199_12?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Mc2D8W7EL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR92%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=N3WRBCKN74V9WTFWHVYW

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-All-Natural-Supplement-Pump-Bottle-Dispenser/dp/B0002ABR6E/ref=pd_sim_199_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41XMH36ulyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=SEYSJFF1K9E8FZAFD0ME

Your doctor can give you antihistamines but if it's grass or pollen she's allergic to she's gonna have to take them forever which sucks.
>>
>>2181139
You have to play with the dog. Then you can put the toy away when you're done.
>>
My new puppers is driving me nuts. She doesn't want squeakers or crinkly plush, she hates loud noises, she has no interest in prolonged rawhides etc, and was bored of a kong filled with peanut butter and dog treats in 30 seconds or less- without getting out a single treat. Ropes, balls, frisbees, all uninteresting no matter how hard I try.

The ONLY thing that has kept her occupied is a nail file she chewed up, and a piece of furniture foam she can rip into little pieces. I'm out of ideas of what to offer her because I don't know wtf this dog wants
>>
Let's say I buy a microshit dof. What if I train it to attack? Is it possible? Yet further, what if I had it attack pitbulls at the dog park. How many do you think I could get euthanized?
>>
>>2181323
Kekd
>>
It'll be a long time before I can get a dog of my own, but I'm planning ahead. I'm torn between two breeds, the doberman, and the poodle.

Doberman pros are intelligence, loyalty, and appearance. Con is that they're neurotic. Poodle pros are intelligence and good-naturedness. Cons are grooming maintenance and appearance.

Assuming that I don't fall in love with a shelter mutt and abandon my purebred fantasy, which dog should I go for, as a first-time owner? I'm leaning toward the doberman, and would probably ask the breeder to leave the ears and tail natural.
>>
Guys

I found someone selling "pure bred pugs" near me for $350AUD

They are 7 weeks old.

What the fuck. They claim they need to move asap, and are trying to get rid of them. Best case scenario I can think of is that the owners dog got pregnant by something and now she has a little of half pugs, or a buyer fell through.

Worst case is she has a litter of genetic monstrosities.

I get it, you all think pugs are meme dogs etc, but can we put that aside? Why would anyone be selling a litter of pugs at 350 each when most other half breed pugs go for at least $1000
>>
>>2181376
Why would you want a pug anyway?
>>
>>2181376
>wanting a pug

I can't wait until that disgusting breed succumbs to it's health problems and people stop breeding it and it goes extinct.
>>
>>2177863
>>2177978

Update on this >>2177824

Got the surgery after all. The tumor was contained to a small area and didn't appear to have spread to the muscles or bones. It was pretty open and shut. She is resting now and should be okay in a few days. Although it was expensive, I'm glad that I went through with it.
>>
>>2171578
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/cracker-sheep

not him and its not native
>>
File: King.jpg (124KB, 1200x675px)
King.jpg
124KB, 1200x675px
How do I stop my new pup from biting my leg, foot, and socks? For now we just put him in his cage for 10 or so minutes but he'll often just go right back to biting me.
Also tips on getting my cat to not hiss and paw at him.
>>
has anyone saved the photo of a dog and a bear sitting together with the bear putting its arm around the dog? iirc the dog was a german shepherd. if you have saved that photo i'd appreciate it if you could share it, it was posted on /an/ a few weeks or months ago
>>
>>2182728
Cage should never be used to punish. When he bites that's fine, puppies mouth/teeth. When he nips to hard making a high pitch yelping noise. Play biting is instinctual but he needs to learn boundaries. Also, replace socks with toys he is allowed to chew on when you catch him.
>>
>>2182728
Kennel should never be used as a punishment. They will associate bad things to the kennel. The kennel should be associated with happy-fun times.
>>
File: IMG_0232.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0232.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
my golden, pictured, got cancer and was euthanized after two weeks of presumably difficult suffering. I witnessed him piss black liquid and bile some sort of damaged organ. Was very hard on me as a kid (I was 15 I think) but I survived.

I am now 18 and my mother got a new female dog right after he died without consent of any of my family members. I don't love the bitch, but I can put up with her sometimes. As for the dog, I give her my best attitude because I was a vegetarian and animal friend for years, but really want a good ol pal to rough and tumble and throw the ball with.

I have another year of highschool left before college. Any arguments I can use to get a doggo? I loved my last dog so much. His name was Henry. Had him since I was a kid. Never felt depressed when he was around. Try not to be, just outgrew that phase of self-hate, but I really did love him.

Fuck this honestly.
>>
>>2182910
Well we do put water bottles in socks, should I just wag that in his face when he goes for my legs. My friend recommended yelping but that never stops him.
>>
>>2182925
Fun times such as going to the park?
>>
My new chihuahua puppy whines when i put her in a crate for the night, the crate has no lid and it just crawls out and tries sleeping with me, even though i cant let it sleep with me since i move a lot in my sleep and dont want to harm it

will putting a lid scare it too much in the crate? what should i do
>>
How do I get my faggot dog to stop marking in the house? Started two days ago (according to roommate) and I just now saw him do it right in front of my face.
>>
>>2183004
keep a dope toy in your pocket that he cannot resist to distract him
alternatively keep a stash of dank meat in your pocket to teach a command to "fucking stop nigga goddamn"

>>2183276
make the crate comfortable and warm, put a cover over it as well, maybe rub a shirt all over yourself and put it in there so she can smell you
>>
>>2183335
C R A T E
R
A
T
E
>>
>>2170243
Step 1: Clean your room nigger.
Can you not straighten out your carpet or were you just playing with your dog ?
>>
>>2171313
Same advice as for the last guy, clean your shit up, there will be less risk of her eating or destroying anything left lying around.
It'll at least put your worrying mind at ease a bit.
>>
Ok, need some help reading our dog's body language

>11 year old female lab
>Never really socialized with other dogs, she usually throws a fit/barks when seeing other dogs
>Start taking her to the park and walking the trails/playing Pogeymans
>First time there were no other dogs there and she was fine
>Second time there were dogs in the dog park area (Fenced in area where people bring their dogs to run free, I don't bring her in there because the fence is a whopping 4 feet tall or so and she can clear that easy)
>She didn't start barking or whining, but she was locked onto them and the hair on her back was raised
>They bark some and she starts growling a little bit so I lead her back onto the trail
>Dad says she's only so angry with other dogs at home because she's real territorial, but she'd be fine meeting other dogs at the park
>Really don't know if that will be the case
Is there a good way to introduce her to other dogs in order to minimize a bad interaction? I still want to take her walking, but her freaking out if someone else is walking their dogs on the trail could potentially be a big problem, as is the fact that there's a water fountain for dogs right at the dog park and it's too hot to not have frequent water breaks
>>
How do I know when my puppy needs to take a dump or a piss?
Can I train him to bark when he needs to go?
So far I'm leaving training pads on the paths to both doors and he's only using them half the time.
>>
>>2173738
That picture makes me upset.
>>
>>2178361
Very GOOD doggo
>>
File: best_friend.jpg (79KB, 540x960px)
best_friend.jpg
79KB, 540x960px
>>2183001
Sorry you had to deal with that. My 2.5 year old rottweiler was just put down after getting hit by a car while my family was on vacation with her. They were states away when I got a call from my dad at 11pm. She was the sweetest and most kind dog we've ever had. My whole family is devastated.

You really should not get a dog until you are in a place of stability in your life. After high school you're going to be either looking for a job that will have unknown hours, an apartment that may/may not allow pets, or going to school elsewhere.
It sucks, but I recommend that you wait. It will guarantee your ability to give that future dog a long and happy life.
There's nothing more that I want right now than to go get a dog too but I'm working a temp job and living at home. It's not feasible right now, but I will get one eventually.
>>
>>2183873
First, puppies should pretty much be let out every two hours.

Second, buy some big ol' jingle bells and hang them on your door where your puppy can reach them. Ring them manually every time you go out. The dog will learn that jingle-jingle means that you're coming to the door to let him out. Also reward him every time he does his business outside. Just some of his food should work okay.
>>
Guys I need a bit of advice!
I just noticed about 30 mins ago that my dog's paw was bleeding. Upon inspection, it looks like he ripped a toenail off somehow. I cleaned it with warm water and i think stopped the bleeding. Now it's wrapped in a loose tension bandage until we see the vet tomorrow morning. (i called an emergency clinic and they said it was probably nothing that needed immediate care.) Is there anything else I should be doing? He's whining a little but i don't know if he's in pain or just wants attention because he wasn't whining before I noticed the wound. He's still playful and responsive. If he is in pain, is there anything I can give him or do for him to help that?
>>
>>2184166
He's gonna be fine. Make sure the bleeding has stopped and put some antiseptic on it.
>>
>>2184170
Done and done. Thanks for the reassurance. The receptionist when I called the hospital was like "I can't guarantee he won't die but it's not likely" which didn't make me feel amazing and I hate the idea of my buddy hurting
>>
File: 1468783568380.png (482KB, 750x550px)
1468783568380.png
482KB, 750x550px
>call for my dog to come inside
>she just stares at me and does nothing
>close the door
>she charges for the door and starts barking
>now she comes in when I open the door
Why the fuck does my dog do this?
>>
>>2170058
Looks like your fuking the dog
>>
Anyone here have any experience with bordoodles? Deciding between a bordoodle and a goldendoodle.
>>
when is too early to get a new dog? my dog died about a month ago and i was really sad crying etc for the first few days after but since then i've come to accept and it i am sad about it but i have come to terms with her death, perhaps too quickly? i just feel lonely desu

also what breed is this >>2174793

t. dog noob
>>
My dog barks like a fucking nigger constantly at everything.
>barks at other dogs when they come over and he wants them to play/give him a toy
>barks at me randomly for no apparent reason
>barks at any slight noise
>barks at nothing while looking out the window or trying to climb to a vantage point
>barks just to bark
We go on two one hour walks in the morning and at night, and play for about an hour or two throughout the day. I say "shh" really loud and put my finger to my mouth to get him to stop, most the time he doesn't even bother to look at me. He's turning into a yappy, angry, possessive little dog and it's driving me fucking insane.
I used to be more autistic about training him, and I mean total sperg levels of positive reinforcement with no exceptions. Basically, my dog is being an asshole because I'm an asshole, should I go back to being an asshole so he accepts me as the asshole I once was, thus allowing us to become more in tune so he stops being a little cunt?
>>
>>2184304
My dog died unexpectedly while I was waiting for my puppy to be old enough to take home. I have cats, but my house was just gloomy without a dog there, the inactivity was repressive. Eventually got pupper a few weeks later. Really hurt, I was hoping doggo would teach puppo the ropes. I feel lost without her.
>>
>>2174229
what breed is this?
>>
any suggestions for a dog like a great dane but with better life expectancy?
>>
>>2184304
I feel like it depends on the person, but speaking from experience and friends' experience, sometimes the best way to get over the loss of a pet is to get another one. It won't really replace your dog, but it will give you another baby to take care of to occupy you.
>>
>>2184409
>giant breeds
>having any life expectancy
Kek
>>
File: life-expectancy-breed.jpg (89KB, 711x766px) Image search: [Google]
life-expectancy-breed.jpg
89KB, 711x766px
>>2184409
If you want a different huge ass dog, Great Danes have some of the worst of the worst of dog lifespans. Pick another big dog and they'll be better.

If you want another spaz that will live forever just get a terrier. The only Great Danes I've ever met were super spastic.
>>
File: doggers.jpg (114KB, 700x517px) Image search: [Google]
doggers.jpg
114KB, 700x517px
>>2184409
>big breed
>living past 9 years
sorry man
>>
>>2184409

Somewhat in the same vein, can anyone suggest a huge doggo that isn't dumb as a sack of rocks?

I get the feeling dogs need to be high-energy to be high-intelligence, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love an english mastiff someday when I have the space and the food budget, I just wish they weren't so. fucking. retarded.
>>
>>2184500
Leonbergers
>>
>>2184431
>>2184434
tibetan mastiff
doberman (not quite as big obv, but decent lifespan)
>>
>>2184502
Interesting, hadn't been on my radar. I don't even see leon mentioned in most intelligence rankings, but wiki says they came from a cross between newfies (reasonably smart), st bernards (not terribly smart) and pyrenees (not terribly smart).

Do you have personal experience with them being a clever breed?
>>
File: 1463687530301.jpg (64KB, 780x589px) Image search: [Google]
1463687530301.jpg
64KB, 780x589px
>>2170058
>shitty anklebiter breeds life the longest
its not fair
>>
9 week old German Shepherd Female, how do I train it to stop biting/kennel? I don't seem to be making any progress.
>>
So do you guys sharpen your dog's nail clipper or do you just buy a new one?
>>
File: 20160807_154316.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px)
20160807_154316.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Need name suggestions for my new doggo. Adopted her today from someone who couldnt look after her
>>
>>2184843
Cerberus. It's a badass name.
>>
When my dog was very young, like 1 or 2 months old, he would hump his dog plushie. Why? Did he have any idea of what he was doing?
>>
>>2184854
Thanks but I was thinking of something with one or two syllables
>>
File: 20160613_06.jpg (138KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
20160613_06.jpg
138KB, 800x533px
les chiens
>>
why shouldn't i get a doberman? they seem like such good dogs
>>
How does /an/ feel about raw feeding? Is it a meme?
>>
>>2184891
nickname her Cerb (pronounced "Serb")
>>
>>2174216
Have you checked to see if she's chipped?
>>
>>2176590
Vets tend to know nothing about dog food, just the big well known brands that they probably sell themselves. A different vet probably won't give much different advice.

Those foods are pretty meh and have ingredients some(not many I think) dogs can have allergic reactions to and are really just filler to keep costs down.

I found this website useful for examining dog foods: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/
Just google it a bit and check some forums, see what people say if you want.
I personally feed my dog Acana but it's quite expensive.
>>
File: selfvie dog.jpg (105KB, 384x512px)
selfvie dog.jpg
105KB, 384x512px
pupper is turning 1 on wednesday. I need some simple birthday recipes for him, like a dog cake or meat patty.
>>
what can I do to help alleviate my dogs itching? I got her new limited ingredient food and supplements but if that helps that probably won't kick in immediately/
Are clickers actually good for training? Trying to teach the dog leave it for when she gets shit off the ground outside or gets possessive over things
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.