[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having a little (fucking huge) problem with my cat (obviously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: thatfuckingcat.jpg (39KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
thatfuckingcat.jpg
39KB, 600x524px
I'm having a little (fucking huge) problem with my cat (obviously not pic related).

She'll be two years old next month, and throughout the first year of her life, she was a pretty normal kitten. For about the last year, she's been having some diarrhea. I honestly haven't thought too much about it because she'll have it once or twice every 1~2 months, and I'm chalking that up to a cat just being a cat because my cousin tells me that's normal. Either way:

Yesterday, she had diarrhea five times, and she's had it four times so far today. Yesterday, between her bouts of diarrhea, she managed to throw up. I've never seen her throw up like this before, because her body was jerking up and down like something huge was going to come out of her, and it certainly did. Despite that fact that she was having diarrhea, and not even a lot of it each time by any means, she threw up a huge fucking turd. I'm talking like a foot long, fully formed, two inch thick turd. Then she walked it off like nothing happened. Normally when she has diarrhea, it's one time every 1~2 months with no turds coming out of her mouth.

Her diarrhea has been a light brown colour and while it's not pure liquid, it's INCREDIBLY soft. So soft that it can KIND OF resemble a turd when it's out of her, but it can't keep it's shape at all when I try to pick it up with a bag. It also doesn't smell like cat poop. It smells like death. In addition, whenever I try to pick her up, she meows very softly like she's in pain and doesn't want me to pick her up which is totally weird for her.

I haven't changed her food recently, I haven't given her any treats in the past few weeks, and I've been keeping her food and water dish especially clean.

I have no problems taking her to the vet, but I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, and the vet's office doesn't open until Tuesday because it's a long weekend. Is there anything in the meantime you guys might be able to tell me about this?
>>
Probably the biggest threat right now is dehydration so make sure that your cat is drinking enough water. If it isn't already eating it, give it wet food to help replenish it's internal water supply.

The starch water that is leftover from boiling rice can help stop the diarrhea. Add some chicken broth to help make it more appetizing and hydrate your cat more. Hopefully it will pull through until Tuesday
>>
>>2165144
>Probably the biggest threat right now is dehydration so make sure that your cat is drinking enough water. If it isn't already eating it, give it wet food to help replenish it's internal water supply.

She's been eating food and drinking water. Not as much as normal, but she's been taking some bites of food after she finishes her diarrhea, and she does have a drink of water every now and then. I've had to refill her water dish, so she's definitely not dehydrated (I hope)

This starch water from boiling rice though, I've never heard of such a thing. Are there any determents or other side effects to giving it to a cat, or will it only stop the diarrhea? Should I also be giving it to her warm, cold, or room temperature? Also, how long should I be giving it to her for, or is one dish enough?

Thanks so much for the help, by the way.
>>
>>2165147
To be honest I don't know the logistics of the rice water. I just know it works for humans, dogs, and cats at the very least. Try googling it to see if you can get more precise info
>>
Also, one last thing. She's an indoor cat, and when the weather is nice outside, I'll let her come outside on the patio with me and/or my mom. On Friday, me and my mom were outside and we had a pretty lengthy conversation. When we were done, we noticed that the cat had wandered off the patio. When we found her, she was out back behind the house, hunched down behind a plant. All this diarrhea started on Saturday. Do you think she might have eaten something or caught a bug while she was outside for an extended period of time? The thought that this might be responsible never crossed my mind because so many cats live outside without diarrhea problems, but I honestly can't see anything else that might have brought this upon her.

>>2165149
Will do, thanks again chief
>>
>Worrying about a cat shitting and throwing up.
Do you free feed it and do have you tried changing the food?

Loads of cats will eat until they're sick and puke. Sometimes the food you have doesn't agree with them. This sounds more like a shit diet than a big medical issue.
>>
Theyre not turds, theyre hair balls. Look at the consistency and you will see it's made up of hairs.

Now the diarrhea is another story. It is more than probably an infection and your vet will probably prescribe antibiotics.
>>
>>2165150
It is a definite possibility that it ate something that fucked it up
>>
>>2165216
This. What she threw up was most likely a hairball. They can look a lot like shit sometimes, especially if the cat has dark-colored fur or is eating brownish food.

Diarrhea for any significant amount of time (beyond a fluke day or two) is not normal in dogs or cats.

What is her diet? A lot of people don't know much about pet nutrition and just buy brands that are familiar to them, like Fancy Feast and Meow Mix that get advertised on TV (which are basically the equivalent of kitty McDonald's). Blue Buffalo is also notorious for causing gastro upset in dogs/cats and making their shit smell like rotting corpses.
>>
>>2165299
>Diarrhea for any significant amount of time (beyond a fluke day or two) is not normal in dogs or cats.
I just woke up because we have officially entered day three of the diarrhea

>>2165299
>What is her diet? A lot of people don't know much about pet nutrition and just buy brands that are familiar to them, like Fancy Feast and Meow Mix that get advertised on TV (which are basically the equivalent of kitty McDonald's).
We're feeding her Whiskas because my cousin has been feeding her cats for years with it without issue.

Also, the evidence has long been disposed of, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hairball. I'm 99% sure it was a huge turd that she threw up.
>>
Putting diet to one side, as the last thing you want to do right now is mess with her diet, there's two major problems you need to be concerned with right now.

> Day three of diarrhea.
> Cat is in pain when you try to pick her up.

Honestly, your best bet is to get her to the vet tomorrow as soon as possible. Try to take in a fresh stool sample, possibly a urine sample if you can too- and for now try to make sure she's still eating/drinking.

What plant was she hunched down behind the house? Are there any lilly's in your back garden? Is she up to date on her worming regime?

Try not to worry, but I'd also try not to change anything before tomorrow so everything has stayed 'constant' so to speak from the start of diarrhoea to the time she visits the vets. No point adding in unknown variables (such as chicken broth being too rich and causing her to be even more runny stool wise) until she's seen the vet.

Keep us updated anon! R.E the hairball- any chance you saved it and can take it with you to triple check it was a hairball with the vet?
>>
>>2165484
>What plant was she hunched down behind the house? Are there any lilly's in your back garden? Is she up to date on her worming regime?
The plant was just some small bush, we have no lilly's at all, and she's not up to date on her worming regime.

>R.E the hairball- any chance you saved it and can take it with you to triple check it was a hairball with the vet?
As soon as she did that, I cleaned it up and threw it out. I was just so disgusted, that all I knew was that I wanted it out of the house ASAP.
>>
>>2165485

Fair enough!

Try not to worry, and take her in tomorrow. As a heads up, even indoor cats need to be kept up to date with their wormers- this could be a parasitic problem.

In the mean time, I'd have a good think about if she's eaten anything foreign, anything in your yard she could have eaten, grab that fresh stool sample and hold tight.

Any pictures of the cat?
>>
File: KindlyOptimisticCranefly.webm (447KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
KindlyOptimisticCranefly.webm
447KB, 720x1280px
>>2165492
She doesn't photograph too well for me because she's black, so here's a video I took of her instead
>>
don't feed your cat whiskas. if you read the ingredients list, there is a LOT of stuff that does not belong into a cats body. Most cheap cat food brands contain grains and vegetables. A cats bowel can't process plants properly. They eat grass to throw up, right? So try to switch to a meat-only diet. Read the ingredients labels. Don't feed her dry food, cats actually don't drink enough if you do this. They will suffer from dehydration.

We had the same problem with our cat, throwing up all the time (but no diarrhea), I changed her diet and she never threw up again.
>>
>>2165519
Do you have any recommended cat food brands?
>>
File: DSC_0027.jpg (2MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0027.jpg
2MB, 3920x2204px
Just got home from work and she had a little surprise waiting for me in the kitchen. Does the colour worry any of you or provide any clues?
>>
File: pizzahuto.png (197KB, 544x353px)
pizzahuto.png
197KB, 544x353px
OP, what exactly are you feeding her? I mean, give me the specifics.

When I brought my cat home at 6 months the shelter had him on science diet, and I weened him off that horse shit post haste. I was still under the impression that dry food was the best option, so I weened him onto wellness brand.

For a while things were great. About 5 months ago he started getting crazy diahrea, about 3 times a day. I tok him to the vet and they told me he was dehydrated and gace m medicine. I still gave him his dry food and with the medicine he seemed to be getting better. But once I was through with the medicine he began having diareah again.

I decided to do some research. I found that I might be dehydrating my cat with the dry food. Just like people cats bodies can change as they get older. A cat who was fine on dry food for the first few years of its life may not be fine with dry food the last years.

So I weened him onto wellness brand wetfood and holy shit the results were almost immediate.

Cats should usually only poop once every few days, and their poop certainly shouldn't be liquidy.

More and more research is coming out that wetfood it the way to go. Ive ordered some weruva for my cat to try too, just look up different wetfood brands and their ratings, ask around. I know it might seem daunting but you'll find an answer soon.
>>
>>2165954
that's almost EXACTLY what my cat's shit looked like before I started a pure wetfood diet. That's a dehydrated shit right there.
>>
File: 24826-1.jpg (422KB, 744x1000px) Image search: [Google]
24826-1.jpg
422KB, 744x1000px
So I just got back from the vet. I showed her the picture of her poop that I posted here and said that she's had diarrhea five times on Saturday, four times on Sunday, and twice yesterday, then I said that I'm still concerned because she does have these on and off bouts with diarrhea, but never this bad. I told her what I feed my cat (dry Whiskas salmon flavour), how often she eats, how she's been drinking water since this started but not as much as she used to, etc.

Basically, the vet told me that the cat probably ate something that didn't agree with her when she was let out on Friday, that got her sick on Saturday, and eating pet food that she probably doesn't already agree with didn't help, which dehydrated her.

She told me to keep doing what I'm doing now since she seems to be getting over it a bit (that picture I posted last night was actually quite a bit more formed up than her usual diarrhea, and there was a tiny solid turd underneath the liquidy part), and when she's gotten over it, slowly ween her off the food I'm giving her now and give her a different food better suited for her. I picked up a small bag of pic related since it was the only cat food at my store that didn't seem cheap as shit, was AAFCO certified, and specifically said it was good for easy digestion, so hopefully this is the end of it now.

You guys were a great help because I didn't even know this could have been a food related problem, and if she ever gets the diarrhea again, I'm definitely going to try the rice water to see if it helps her (I really didn't want to try it now just in case it would have made her worse).

Thanks again! And hopefully I didn't end up buying a cat food that's actually worse for her....
>>
>>2165520
Weruva
>>
File: 1464427510330.jpg (57KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1464427510330.jpg
57KB, 250x250px
>>2166227
Good job, OP. You're doing right by your cat and were smart to look for the AAFCO label.

That food is definitely better than Whiskas but still not really great. For example, it has corn and soy ingredients, which are two of the big three (the last being wheat) common shitty pet food ingredients cats should not be eating, and can potentially fuck up their systems with allergies/intolerances.

I always recommend Taste of the Wild, both wet and dry. It's pretty widely available these days, grain-free, and comparatively easy on the wallet. Foods of roughly equal price/quality include Chicken Soul for the Cat Lover's Soul, Natural Balance, and I think "I and Love and You".

The best money can buy will include foods such as Weruva, Tiki Cat, Wellness CORE, Merrick, and Nature's Logic. Wet food is preferable over dry - increased moisture intake has beneficial impact on the health of cats (which have a low thirst drive because they evolved to take in most of their water via prey consumption), and it generally has fewer fillers like rice, starches, potatoes, etc. which cats don't need. I strongly recommend feeding at least small amounts of wet on a supplementary basis, but it's up to you.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your kitter.
>>
>>2165135
Aww, hope your kitty gets better.
>>
>>2166227
>giving your cat purina of any kind

Have fun with your dead cat OP
>>
>>2166227
The food you bought is not good.

If it's within your budget, try only feeding grain free canned food. I have some brands to recommend if you're too poor to feed the brands everyone else recommends on here, there are better foods cheaper than Purina. Attempt to stay away from fish, it doesn't agree with many cats.
>>
>>2169365
>Attempt to stay away from fish, it doesn't agree with many cats.
Good advice. Fish is fucking awful for cats. Stick to things above the sea.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.