[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-aquarium general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 46

File: bucephalandra.jpg (98KB, 736x554px) Image search: [Google]
bucephalandra.jpg
98KB, 736x554px
/aq/-aquarium general

- Bucephalandra Edition -

Continued from >>2145069

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE

We all make mistakes, so don't put anyone down - rather be helpful.
Chances are, you made a similiar mistake when you were starting out.

>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters:

Flowgrow
http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

>Cool Youtube Channels:

>Aquascaping -

James Findley/The Green Machine
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenMachineLtd

Dennis Wong
https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

Filipe Oliveira
https://www.youtube.com/user/FaaoStudio

Oliver Knott
https://www.youtube.com/user/amanoshrimp

>Building your own shit/ Fish&Plant talk

King of DIY
https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Dustin's Fish Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Wayne's Fish World
https://www.youtube.com/user/samuelwaynefoleyjr

Aquarium related documentaries (German & English)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtkQ-oVBStx0EYRcwz3bHSA

KGTropicals - Mostly Cichlid Talk
https://www.youtube.com/user/KGTropicals

If you got any suggestions, especially related to cool saltwater channels, feel free to post them - I will add them with the next OP if I have the chance
>>
File: 1392412797302.png (179KB, 352x335px) Image search: [Google]
1392412797302.png
179KB, 352x335px
>Flowgrow
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Holy shit, I've never discovered this site before. Much more detailed than Tropica or something else
>>
File: Bt6egV9IIAEthEU.jpg (24KB, 592x490px) Image search: [Google]
Bt6egV9IIAEthEU.jpg
24KB, 592x490px
so I ordered some dwarf baby tears online an read that they can spread across your tanks substrate. not a problem, but is that gonna make cleaning a pain in the ass? cause it sounds like it.
>>
>>2150191
It's amazing detailed, inspires me to learn german.
>>
>>2150192
u usually don't need to siphon a planted tank that much, if at all.

HC also is quite iffy compared to other carpeting plants so it might not spread at all if it's lighting, co2, waterflow and fertilization don't fit right.

>>2150191
Yeah it's great. Don't know if the English database is as detailed as the German one, but it's very helpful nonetheless.
>>
File: 20160619_073045.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
20160619_073045.webm
2MB, 853x480px
num num num
>>
I have clown gravel. How do I change it?

The store owner scared me about ammonia killing the fish if i changed it.
>>
What's the best way to catch kuhli loaches? My father has a few in his tank, but his fish are huge and I think the loaches are scared, since they never come out. I was thinking of moving them to my tank, where I have happy outgoing loaches. But they're so fucking fast. Any ideas?
>>
>>2150246
loaches in general are very fast. try lowering the water and remove as much hardscape as possible.

>>2150245
get a cheap porous substrate with a small grain size, like 1-3 mm that is not active. usually very cheap and effective.

Get your new substrate, wash it very thoroughly and set up a new tank for your fish or a bucket with their old water and filter, while emptying your old tank and the substrate.

Leave in some detritus if possible. Nice for bacteria. Put in your new washed substrate, plants and hardscape and add old tankwater mixed with fresh water, like 50/50 - let filter run there till it clears up a bit, check parameters if necessary and reintroduce fish.

Obviously do not use any chemical detergeants on your old tank to clean it.

Fish should be fine, parameters should be fine.
>>
>>2150247
What's an example of porous substrate?
>>
File: manado.jpg (117KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
manado.jpg
117KB, 470x470px
>>2150248
In Europe, we got JBL Manado, afaik its basically crushed clay that has pores like lava rock (see pic, can also be black). Most non-active substrates are like that, so in the US there should be a similiar product.
>>
>>2150255
According to http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/jbl-manado-aquarium-substrate-review/ JBL Manado is 100% red scoria, which is a type of lava rock. It seems like they tumble it to make it smooth. AFAIK, CaribSea EcoComplete is also made from lava rock, but basalt rather than scoria, and doesn't have the same round shape. It's a bit rough, but doesn't seem to be an issue for bottom dwellers.
ADA Aquasoil and Fluval Stratum are examples of clay-based substrates and both work very well.

>>2150248
Basically all substrates intended for planted tanks are porous. The specific term is CEC, or cation exchange rate, but most substrates are just rated as either "high" (Aquasoil FloraMax, EcoComplete) or "low" (gravel, sand). Depending on what you want to grow, playground sand from a home improvement store can be perfectly adequate (for eg. rhizome plants, mosses, crypts).
>>
>>2150246
kuhli loaches are more active at night. try waiting til just before or just after lights out to catch them while theyre going about their loachly business.
>>
File: FishToonk.jpg (322KB, 1600x976px) Image search: [Google]
FishToonk.jpg
322KB, 1600x976px
How would you improve this tank?

20 gallon tall. Has three pieces of Malaysian driftwood. Two fake strands of what I think is bamboo or something. A god awful bubbler in the back. It also has a 4 and 1/2 inch deadzone where the table sits under the wall.
>>
>>2150380
Considering that they are fake, those bamboo plants actually look half decent. If you threw in a couple of live plants it would make the tank 10/10. Even if it were just marimo moss balls or some java moss.
>>
>>2150382
I was thinking of getting a live plant or two. Problem is I don't really want to up the maintenance level that a planted tank needs. Is it possible to keep plants inside the original plastic container they come in and just hide it behind some wood?
>>
>>2150388
Get anubias, java fern, or buce and just tie them to the wood. There really isn't any extra maintenance for low light plants.

Why is only half the tank lit?
>>
>>2150422
It's a cheap LED that really doesn't cover much of the tank. Right now it's over the middle.
>>
>>2150388
The plants >>2150422 mentioned really are low maintenance. Don't keep them in the pots, roots/rhyzome may rot and tie them on the wood.

You can also add easy stuff like cabomba, if you dont mind cutting every 10-15 days.
>>
File: 20160620_120028.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160620_120028.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>2150205
How well does that kuhli loach do with the shrimp? Any signs of intrest in the shrimp? I've always wanted to get a few with my display tank, but worry about my shrimps being harassed.
>>
>>2150444
Laziest motherfuckers in existence, though they will show affection for other loach members, huddling up with each other, following each other, etc. They don't have an interest hunting shrimp.
>>
>>2150451
Awesome, I may get a few. They will love my pearl weed carpet.
>>
whats the best way to know if a rock is aquarium safe? I've heard scratching it with a knife and seeing if it leaves any marks is a good way, but I've also read that's not always reliable
>>
>>2150719
I wouldn't worry about it. The only rocks that are really a problem in aquariums are copper ores and ores of heavy metals. Even then it'd have to be extremely rich ore and in a form that's likely to leach into the water rather than just oxidize and do nothing.

If you don't feel competent to identify various metal ores such as pyrite or arsenopyrite or galena then maybe just buy rocks from a fish store.
>>
>>2150719
dip it in a cap of vinegar

if it fizzes, dont use. It it doesnt fizz then the rock is benign and therefor safe for your tank
>>
>>2150724
rocks that fizz are only going to dissolve in acidic tanks, and unless you're keeping fish from acidic waters (amazon etc) then having rocks that fizz in acid is a good idea since it keeps your pH steady.

Conversely there are plenty of rocks that don't fizz in acid and will still leach toxins into your tank.

tl;dr: fizz test is bullshit.
>>
Anyone keep a fish journal here? Anyone mind showing it?

I have a few fish tanks and it gets hard to keep track of them, so I have a journal where I keep track of water changes, tests, things that are introduced to the tank. That sort of stuff. Does anyone else do this?

Also, I've been told that keeping some delicate cheap fish with really expensive fish would help alert when water conditions may be bad. the idea is the delicate fish will act odd or die first, giving you time to find and fix the problem before the costly one falls ill. Has anyone done that before, or can think of a fish combo where this would work? I was trying to think of fish where that would work, but most of the cheaper fish are cheap because they are hardy, and vice versa.
>>
>>2150726
It's still better than not doing anything at all and just throwing random shit into your tank.

>>2150719
Stroll around your town, find any kind of local streams/rivers/creeks. Even if it's just a drainage ditch that only fills up when it rains.

Look for rocks in these places. These are rocks that are regularly exposed and or entirely submerged in water. If there is plenty of plant and animal life (such as weeds/moss/algae/mosquito larvae) then it's safe to assume it will be fine in your tank.

Once you bring them home, put them in a bucket and fill it up with water for 24 hours. Then take them from the bucket and put them straight into a large enough pot, fill the pot up with water, and boil them for a good while.

If the rocks don't dissolve/break apart at this point, then once they cool down throw them into your tank.
>>
>>2150731
>It's still better than not doing anything at all and just throwing random shit into your tank.
yeah, I guess.
>>
>>2150731
>boil them for a good while.
don't do this under any circumstances.

boiling rocks can cause them to explode.
>>
>>2150737
neat!
>>
>>2150728
Couldn't you just use Seachem Alert instead of a Canary-fish, as it were?
>>
>>2150728
>most of the cheaper fish are cheap because they are hardy, and vice versa.
pretty much.

there's also the thing where if you can afford to keep really expensive fish you can probably afford a system to maintain them.
>>
>>2150737
What? No. Obviously this isn't true otherwise saunas would never work. They would all be death traps.

What you never do is put rocks directly into fire after they have been submerged for too long. (A.I. building a fire pit while camping with wet rocks from a stream) THAT makes them explode.

I suppose you could make a rock explode if you took it from your aquarium and then baked in an oven at like, 500 degrees or something.

But as long as you soak the rocks for a long time, and then heat them up on the stove, it should all be fine. Boiling water gradually increases in time, there is no massive temperature swings, like you get when being taken form a freezing cold river and placed in direct contact with an open flame. Besides, if you're that worried about it, then put a lid on the pot.
>>
So I posted a while ago asking what I could put in a one gallon vase, and I then abandoned the idea for fear of killing whatever creature I tried.

Well,I got bored and went to a local river and dug up a few pieces of grass that was growing in the water. I also took some of the rocks from there and some of the mud for the grass. If I don't end up killing this grass in the next month, do you guys think a small handful of cherry shrimp, and a few Tai micro crabs could live in this? The river water is very clean because they have working on restoring the natural habitat for years now, and I treated the tap water that I added with that Aqua safe stuff.
>>
>>2150760
>all rocks are exactly the same
>I can't google anything
heh
>>
>>2150768
no telling what kind of bacteria is in that water still

I hope you use an antiparasitic anyway because if you arent comfortable drinking it, you shouldnt be comfortable putting it in your tank
>>
I want to eventually use aquarium soil to grow shit in my tank. What the fuck do I do with my current gravel?
>>
>>2150775
Is there something I could get to treat the water with?
>>
>>2150781
I dunno, google it or look for parasite treatments on amazon. Ask at a petstore
>>
>>2150795
Parasite treatments? Ok, thank you.

Uh...also, probably another dumb question, but the water is pretty dirty from the mud. Will it settle over night, or should I drain some and add clean water?
>>
Anyone here ever make ornaments?

thinking of making a stone temple for my 40L but i don't want it to look like plastic
>>
>>2150798
that there is what we call 'silt'

it will settle but any time you disturb it, it will cloud up your tank. Its probably... better if you just go grab some aquarium soil

>>2150801
this has my interest. What are you making it with? I've been wanting a dragon for my tank for ages. Im more than capable of MAKING one but.. what to use?
>>
>>2150802
No idea, only had the idea for a mayan temple aquascape last night, maybe resin with driftwood set in like vines
>>
>>2150802
Ah ok
>>
File: 20160620_201320.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160620_201320.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Babbys first aquascaping attempt. Hows it looking so far?
Also Im still familiarizing myself with live plants, will these guys be ok embedded in the substrate or will I need to anchor them by other means?
>>
>>2150817
wow thats blurrier than it looked on my phone
>>
>>2150768
You probably pulled up a good amount of critters in the mud from the lake. You could just keep them in it. Or dig around in more mud.
>>
>>2150768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikyuEMALJE may be helpful
>>
>>2150826
Haha, I only managed to snag a beetle.
>>
>>2150827
Ooh! That is REALLY helpful, thank you!

I'll start looking around my local stores for that plant.
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 1192x703px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 1192x703px
I'm picking up a few of those tomorrow. Has anyone here kept brasilensis before?
>>
>>2150776
Take the gravel out and use the tank water from a water change to give it a very good rinse, don't treat it with anything, put it in a bucket with an airstone/cheap filter to keep any beneficial bacteria that is currently colonized on the surfaces of the gravel alive.

Throw in the dirt, plant the live plants, then layer the gravel on top of the dirt. Use as much or as little as you want.
>>
>>2150808
>>2150804
>>2150802
>>2150801
There was one anon who created an entire solid background for his tank out of some kind of decorative cement and water proof foam.

Apparently you can even dye the cement different colors. I THINK this kind of cement is called "mud" when it comes to any kind of construction.

I wonder if you can dye it solid black, smooth it down so it looks polished, then use a different colored batch to paint on it so it looks like solid granite/marble.
>>
>>2150817
Do you know the names of any of those plants? Some live plants CAN'T be buried. It will kill them, instead you use cotton string or aquarium safe superglue to attach them to logs/rocks/ornaments.

But as far as I know, those all look fine to me as they are.
>>
>>2150817
Elodea and Ludwigia(?)
They're fine like that.
>>
>>2150880
rad, thanks m8
>>2150845
I know that, that's why I asked. There's a java fern in there too I anchored to the top of the log decoration
>>
>>2150817
The plants I see there look fine. Just beware that Elodea is an insane grower and needs regular trimmings
>>
File: 1466324944894.jpg (3KB, 116x125px) Image search: [Google]
1466324944894.jpg
3KB, 116x125px
Should I get one for my dorm? I can only have a 5 gallon tank is that enough or would I be fucking over the fish(es) I get?
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 500x667px
How many gallons is good for a female only betta tank?
>>
>>2150904
5 gallons is big enough for a betta and maybe some shrimp. Not much else than would go in that tank.
>>
Hey anons, doing a fishless cycle with plants in, the 4ppm ammonia doesn't seem to bother the snails that came with the plants, how is this possible?

Also, all my plants are yellow at the bottom, what's causing this? Not enough light?
>>
>>2150910
10-∞ depending on how many bettas we're talking.
>>
>>2150912
Snails don't mind that much in general, since some come from stagnant pools.

The yellow parts could indicate a nutrient deficiency or lack of light, depends on plant species and fertilization.

What Bulbs/LEDs do you have for which tank volume and species?

My guess is just that it lacks nutrients in the water column.
>>
>>2150915
I have osmocote+ in the substrate, it's a 20 high and the two species are Java moss (I think it's Taxiphyllum barbieri, not V. Dubyana) and hornwort.

Using 2 15W CFLs 10 hours a day.
>>
>>2150923
Those plant species are actually very undemanding. Do you have a pic of the yellow spots?
>>
>>2150904
get a nice tank like a Fluval Edge and get yourself a really nice King/Giant Betta. Get like 10 ghost shrimp and make sure there's a LOT of decorations for the shrimp to hide in. They're personable, nosy and fun to watch

>>2150910
you can put 4-6 females in one 10 gallon tank depending on the temperment and amount of cover provided in the tank. That said, i'd go bigger. I have my girls in a 10 gal and all I ever think about now is getting a much bigger tank for them and make them an a condo to fuck around in

general rule is to have at LEAST 2.5 gallons per betta but more is always ideal
>>
>>2150928
Yeah I got them so I could play the planted tank game on easy mode.

I think they might simply be stressed from the journey through the mail.

I'll try to get some pics, I don't think you'll be able to see much with my shitty camera.
>>
>>2150932
Yeah I think the mailing is a factor. The where they were grown provided them with a different nutrient mixture so they could be in shock due to new water conditions. But since both these plants are extremely hardy, I don't think that it will be an issue as soon as your tank is stable.
>>
>>2150934
*meant to say "The tank where they were grown..."
>>
File: WP_20160621_002.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160621_002.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>2150934
The hornwort in question
>>
File: WP_20160621_004.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160621_004.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
top of the java moss
>>
File: WP_20160621_003.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160621_003.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>2150941

bottom
>>
>>2150940
yeah, looks just like shock from transfer. Just keep an eye on them but I'm sure they will be fine.
>>
>>2150912
In addition to what >>2150915 said, most pest snails have lungs and breathe from the air, so water quality is less important to them by comparison.
>>
File: 20160621_143840.jpg (987KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160621_143840.jpg
987KB, 2560x1536px
What's a good, cheap thing to put in an betta aquarium so it can hide? I've heard half of a styrofoam cup would work, but that doesn't sound right to me. Pic is my betta - he's a baby crown tail.
>>
>>2151341
An empty flower pot or pvc pipe will do if you have some of those lying about.
Make sure that your bowl there is properly filtered or at least getting frequent water changes.
>>
>>2151349
Okay, thanks!
>>
So I just read another anon's post about stress stripes. Are stripes on a betta always a sign of stress?

My girls are usually in full, vibrant color but anytime I approach the tank they all zip to the front of the tank (like im going to feed them) and develop incredibly prominent stripes. I'm inclined to think stripes can also represent excitement because of this but is it true?

How does one even measure stress this way?
>>
>>2151376
stress and excitement have very similar metabolic reactions in most animals (elevated heart rate/respiration, etc) so I think it's safe to say yeah.

the best way to tell which is which is by looking at their behavior and also what's triggered the reaction.

that said, since they move towards you when you approach, it's likely they're just excited about food.

or they might wanna fight you.
>>
>>2151376
it's also possible they're showing stripes because they're competing with others for food. Telling their sisters to back off.
>>
is there a good way to change out the filter without fucking with the biological filtration?

mines getting too clogged and rinsing it out isn't helping, I wanna put a new one in but I also don't wanna fuck up the tanks microbiome.
>>
Any way to successfully run a 5 gallon saltwater tank without fucking everything up. Non meme answers pls
>>
File: snail underbelly.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
snail underbelly.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
wtf are these fucking snails in my tank and should I be concerned
>>
>>2151412
Yes
>>
File: shell.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
shell.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>2151419

what the shell looks like, apologize for the potato quality

are these just pond snails or bladder snails?
>>
>>2151419
Look a bit like bladder snails, I took care of my infestation by removing the larger ones and getting a real small assassin snail to hunt the rest. Though the assassin snail might turn into another infestation if it's a female with eggs.
>>
>>2151387
>Telling their sisters to back off
sounds likely

>>2151385
>or they might wanna fight you
also likely. Getting bit by these shits feels like being electricuted
>>
>>2151422
>>2151419
snails are pretty common aquarium pests, usually 'contracted' from live plants with their eggs on them.

they typically aren't a huge problem, but if they get too numerous they can deprive your fish of oxygen. most loach species will keep their numbers down.
>>
File: assassin.jpg (188KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
assassin.jpg
188KB, 1280x720px
>>2151425
>>2151436

yeah I immediately ordered some assassin snails after I found these pond snails crawling all over my tank during the tank cycling

I know they don't actively harm my plants but they could quickly swarm my tank so I rather not take that risk

btw what is a good solitary fish to keep in a 5 gallon to keep unwanted snails and gammarus shrimps down? betta?
>>
>>2151389
I'll keep the new filter in the water for a while first, while the old one is still being used. That way, it can build the bacteria before the old one is removed
>>
>>2151471
There aren't really any snail eating fish that can be kept in a 5g and since you've already ordered assassin snails you shouldn't need one anyway.

Betta will eat any scuds it can get.
>>
File: IMG_20160622_032241~01.jpg (879KB, 3127x1818px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160622_032241~01.jpg
879KB, 3127x1818px
i cant really find out what type it is , any of you know what type this albino shit is?
>>
>>2151484

thanks familia

can't believe people would pay for gammarus shrimps my new tank is swarming with these fucks already
>>
How important is a heater for a betta fish, because I won't be able to afford one for a month or two, but I might be able to scrounge up enough if it's going to kill it.
>>
>>2151496
They make an excellent live food and are easier to culture than daphnia and brine shrimp.
>>
File: snail pile.jpg (669KB, 1546x1160px) Image search: [Google]
snail pile.jpg
669KB, 1546x1160px
>>2151425
I've got a bunch of assassin snails in my tank. They're pretty cool.
>>
>>2151497
m8, its summer

unless you live on the other side of the world right now, your betta will be warm enough. You dont really need to worry about it until it starts getting cold again

get a cheap aquarium thermometer from Walmart or something. As long as the tank is above 74 degrees and below 95, your betta will likely be fine. 78-82 is the sweetspot

this, of course, is dependant on the fish being in a decent sized tank. If that Betta is in a bowl then yeah it'll probably fry
>>
>>2151507
nice orgy
>>
mystery snail refuses to die. its been 3+ weeks since it fully came out of its shell to move and eat.

it just sits half out and closes up when prodded. parameters are fine, and my other livestock/snails arent displaying any problems.

what the hell do i do?
>>
>>2151389
You can transfer some of your old media into the new filter, plus some of the old water. Than way your bacteria have a colony started already.
>>
>>2151519
Maybe its just old and tired. If putting food right in its face does nothing then just... leave him to die

Are you sure he isnt just moving around at night while you're asleep?
>>
>>2151519
Discard mystery snail.

Acquire Nerite snail,
>>
>>2151526
absolutely certain he doesnt move. i pull all nighters sometimes and i check up on him often. he hasnt moved at all. he sometimes half comes out, but thats it.
>>
I bought two Red Rainbows a couple of months ago and they've been sweet until a couple of days ago. One of them keeps chasing all the other fish around and nipping them. I've read that getting other Rainbows will calm them down, but others say that they'll be pissed off forever.
Can /an/ give me a straightforward answer?
>>
>>2151519
Immortal Snail.
Send it to SCP?
>>
>>2151412
how much space do you got? also in what sense you could fuck things up? this feels like too little information to elaborate
>>
>>2151530
i cant discard if hes still alive man.

>>2151600
kek

can i pull the damn snail out? its really bugging me how hes half out.
>>
>Go to local pet store today
>Fish generally healthy and what not
>Check out the goldfish tanks
>All the fancies and some of the commons dead or dying, some with no fins left to speak of
>Gory as shit, incredibly painful to look at
>Something is literally killing all your goldfish, what are those in there with them?
>Oh, just mosquito fish, they're in there because it's a coldwater tank
Don't think I'm ever going back, how can you fuck up so badly? They have a fucking triple divided coldwater tank, why would they risk mixing species to begin with? Even worse, I was there the day after they got their shipment and noticed the tattered fins. I just figured they had come in from their supplier like that. And that was 5 days ago, how the fuck did no one catch on, scooping inexplicably half-eaten fish from the tank everyday?

Fuck
>>
>>2151646
did you tell them this or did you save it for a secret just between us?
>>
>>2151412
if it's your first sw tank you're going to fuck everything up no matter what size you have.

it'll just happen faster in a 5g.

If you can't afford to lose $500 worth of livestock without being concerned or bankrupted you might just wait until you can.

or not. I suppose if people followed that rule nobody would ever get started in the hobby. Just don't be too sad when everything dies, it's a normal part of the process. Your learning process mostly.
>>
>>2151648
Yeah, they said they would move the "injured" fish to their "hospital" tank.

That, and inform the only person working there that knows anything about fish when they come into work tommorow. Don't suspect she holds the lives of the goldfish in high regards, anyway, based on some past dealings.

Also the same store that kept their Painted Turtles in a tub with their Koi, before realizing after weeks that they had a proper Carp Auschwitz going on.
>>
>>2151656
nice job speaking up then.
most people don't so they never learn.

yeah, the fish don't cost them much of anything, but scaring off customers will cost them big.
>>
>>2151602
I think anon is just asking what would be needed to run a stable 5 gallon saltwater tank indefinitely without crashing.

>>2151616
>can i pull the damn snail out?
If you want to kill it just use baking soda or something.

>>2151649
What do you do differently now versus when you started and why is it impossible for someone to do it the right way the first time?
>>
>>2151341
Before anyone else over here might get overtly angry at you, as >>2151341 pointed out, rather get a filter or maybe even a real tank with plants. Bettas thrive in 5-10 gallons easily and are very undemanding.

Depending on the bowl size and your water maintenance, your scaly friend might experience nitrite/ammonia poisoning over time if the water isn't pristine, which is easier to pull off with a filter and more water volume, so you have more stable conditions.

You can get a proper setup for less than 50$ and I'm sure there are many here, willing to help you out, if you happen to have questions.
>>
>>2151422
bladder snails. if you don't overfeed, they don't become an issue. If they get to many, sell them off. Many loach and puffer keepers like to feed them.

Otherwise get yourself an assassin snail or loaches (if your other fish and tank size allow it)
>>
>>2151693
>What do you do differently now versus when you started
I don't worry about equipment failures or the occasional power outage or parameters fuck up that kills everything in the tank.

>and why is it impossible for someone to do it the right way the first time?
there is no right way. Things break. Marine tanks are a delicate system that over a long enough time period will fall out of balance.

accepting this is the main step to success in the hobby, you have to realize that just because your entire tank dies doesn't mean you're done trying.

you also need to have the money to throw away.
Beginners rarely do, particularly beginners that want to keep tiny tanks because they're cheaper.

even a 5g is likely to cost hundreds of dollars to stock, and that's hundreds of dollars you'll keep right on spending when things inevitably die. With enough practice you can keep tanks going for years or even decades, but that requires learning a lot about your own water quality, your own livestock, your own equipment, and your own habits as an aquarist.

there is no single formula for easy success. Except large amounts of cash I guess.
>>
>>2151412
Maybe don't start on 5 gallons, it is very unstable and if it's your first saltwater tank, there's a high chance of failure.

Rather find someone via craigslist that's selling a bigger saltwater tank (what your budget allows) that's already cycled and stable.
>>
File: image.jpg (838KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
838KB, 2592x1936px
>>
Everyone is always paranoid about "anaerobic pockets", but I've never heard of anyone actually having fish killed from it

I decided to do a little experiment. I have a tank with about three and a half inches of soil, and I saw a pocket of "air" on the side. This tank has been established for about six months. So I poked it and released the gas. About six fifty cent piece sized bubbles came up to the top.

This was 24 hours ago. All of my fish and shrimp are alive and doing absolutely fine.
>>
>>2151909
If you have plants that could've been just a pocket of oxygen produced by the roots. I think this myth comes from the undergravel filters that used to collect nitrogen bubbles under it and when you went to move the filter it'd shift releasing all this nitrogen into the water killing tge fish. I don't think this is really true.

1. The gas has been in the water and hadn't dissolved into the water column.
2. I dont see how nitrogen would build up without showing up in your parameter tests.
3. its not likely the gas bubbles causing the deaths.

Its more likely when you stir up your substrate you knock off the growing bacteria colonies off and they get mixed into the water column and get siphoned out. Also alot will die off when disturbed. So that throws off your cycle by a decent anount, on top of the issue is most do this kind of maintenance while doing their water changes. So you lose an insane amount of nitrifying bacteria that will cause a huge ammonia spike which is probably killing the fish. Not the gas bubbles themselves, they don't even dissolve into the water column before they reach the top. Thats like saying the co2 bubbles that reach the top would add to your dissolved co2 content.
>>
>>2151702
Are those yellow plants to the left crypts? Theres alot of yellow in those. Do you even have flourish root tabs under them? Is that just plain sand for substrate?
>>
guys how come whenever I see pictures of the inside of peoples aquarium cabinets they cut the holes for the intake/outtake into the sides of the cabinet instead of into the back?
>>
I have a 40 gallon long (breeder) tank that was given to me.

Any ideas on what to set up? I want to do freshwater, not salt for the time being.
>>
>>2152060
What's your experience level?
>>
>>2152060
Goldfish, bro

Be a good example for your friends and neighbors.
>>
>>2152060
Coldwater, with loaches, paradise fish, and fancy goldfish, and lily pads and crap, gonna look cool imo, if you want, add a current and have hillstream loaches
>>
>>2152043
Probably so they can set the tank closer to the wall, and to make the plumbing easier to get to for maintenance.
>>
>>2152090
you're a horrible person
>>
>>2152090
How about like, 2 goldfish, maximum. Fuck you.
>>
File: she's a FISH KILLER.jpg (24KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
she's a FISH KILLER.jpg
24KB, 500x282px
>>2152060
You could have one sweet-ass betta sorority, anon.

>>2152090
pic related.
>>
File: 20160621_181514.jpg (974KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160621_181514.jpg
974KB, 2560x1536px
I got a baby male betta fish a few days ago, and he's currently in a temporary bowl of about half a gallon. I'm getting a 1 gallon tank for him today, so how would I got about transfering it to the tank? Pic is his bowl.
>>
>>2152122
please, please be trolling
>>
>>2152126
What's wrong with it
I'm poor and couldn't get a tank right away
>>
>>2152122
If you're serious, return him. Babies have special needs and are difficult to raise, especially for beginners. Because you didn't have a tank already cycled for him, you're most likely a beginner. Return him and buy a 5 gallon tank, cycle it first, then go buy an adult betta.
>>
>>2152127
Don't assume that just because it's a baby, it can live in a smaller tank, which therefore makes it cheaper. If you can't return it, keep it in at least a 5 gallon bucket, but if you're new to this you really shouldn't jump in and get a baby anyway. Start with an adult.
>>
>>2152131
Well, funny story. My friend was giving away baby bettas that they didn't want, and the ones that didn't get taken, they were probably going to kill. I went to the pet store and bought the bare minimum of supplies so I could save at least one. Oh, and I bought some of the betta bacteria and let the bowl sit for a day so it didn't need to be cycled.
>>
>>2152136
it's not called saving when you kill it
>>
>>2152139
I've done a ton of research so I don't kill it anon. Can someone please answer the question? I read about the bag shit, but I want to know some tips so I don't introduce tank water into the bag too fast, along with help on other intriquite things.
>>
>>2152136
>the bare minimum of supplies
>bought some betta bacteria
>betta bacteria
my nigga. what.
and that is not the bare minimum supplies. not close. where tha filter at? where tha conditioner? did u not think a tank was a bare minimum supply or what??? free that baby fishies soul
>>
>>2152122
Get a 5 gal. You can go to petco get one for like 5 or 6 bucks during the $1/gal sale. Then to move the fish id just take him in a small cup or shot glass pour out his tank water and put the rocks you used, into the new cycled tank and then gently lower the glass into the new tank and just slowly tip it around him till he swims out. If he doesn't dart around you did good and he is stress free in the move.
>>
>>2152147
5 gallons aren't part of the $ per gallon sale. Sale starts at 10 long. He still needs a filter and a heater too.
>>
>>2152146
I have a bowl genius. Also, if you want to be taken seriously, learn what grammar is.
>>
>>2152149
I almost bought a 5 gal but when they told itvwas like 6 bucks i was like sheiiiit i better gets me a 10. Which is what i now keep my tarantula in.
>>
I'm thinking of getting several golden danios and guppies for a community tank, but the problem is the local fish store is like 2 miles away which is about a +40 minute walk in like 80-90 degree summer heat. I don't have a car and most of the time can't borrow one. (plus there's like no fucking parking around that area anyway)

How safe is it to transport them back home by foot via a backpack and a cool water bottle/ice pack near (but not touching) the bags in the event of them overheating to body heat and summer heat? Or would it just be best to wait for cooler days/just hitch a ride or take a bus?

Also are they compatible fish?
>>
File: Untitled.png (303KB, 509x384px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
303KB, 509x384px
>>2152150
>I have a bowl
my nigga. have you been on this thread. and what in the god damn green earth is betta bacteria. this nigga cant even answer my question because he doesn't even know to cycle his fuckin "bowl."
>>
>>2152149
Dude, the heater is if your house gets temp gets lower than like 75°F. You can get a decent filter for a 5 gal that works comes with a airpump for like 10-15 bucks. But if he does daily parameters checks while he saves money and does water changes accordingly he wont need a filter either for a bit. Only thing he might need which is a hit or miss is the water conditioner which is like 3-5 bucks a bottle. Calm your tits bettabro.
>>
>>2152156
Bettas are tropical ching chongs and need specific water temps but nice try
>>
>>2152156
Put them in a cooler or a backpack with ice. Preferably a rolling cooler with something to keep them cool.
>>
>>2152161
wut
>>
>>2152157
To keep a Betta healthy, remember to provide him with plenty of clean, warm water. Your Betta's temperature should never drop below 74° Fahrenheit (about 23.5° Celsius), and ideally should remain between 78° and 80° F (25.5° and 26.5 C)

>ideally should remain between 78° and 80°
>IDEALLY

Like i said if your house gets under 75° you'll definitely need a heater. Fish can acclimate to temps out of their natural range as long as its not sudden. It just can cause complications long term (meaning a years of neglect) hence why i say its not an immediate issue to worry about. I keep my breeder shrimps without a heater.
>>
>>2152161

Were you trying to respond to this guy >>2152152 ?
>>
>>2152166
Dude your house temperature is not the same as water temperature. A hot tub is like, 110 degrees. It feels a lot different than standing in 110 degree air.
>>
>>2152168
A hot tub is 110 degrees, the air is 110 is one is a fluid and other is a gas. But they feel different guys.

It makes sense if the temperature change is dramatic like standing in the room with a lower temp than a hot tub. But the water holds temp much better than air, so water cools much slower. If your house reaches 75° your water will probably be at 77 or 78° atvthe lowest. Thats why when you go swimming in an unheated pool at night the water "feels" warm. Buts only relative to the surrounding air that lost its temp much faster
>>
>>2152171
Nevertheless, betta splendens are descended from places like the Vietnamese tropics, where the temperature reaches 90 degrees easily each day. In order for the fishes' brightest colors to really come out, and so the fishes are most lively, their tank temperature really shouldn't be under 78 degrees. If you have air conditioning, you need a heater. If you live in a place that has winter, you need a heater.
>>
>>2152174
bettacare101.com › mythvsreality2
For example, in a room heated to at least 76 degrees, a betta does not need an actual heater, but under normal room temperature conditions, they absolutely do. The ideal range of the species is 76-82 degrees (with a survival range of around 72-86), which under most conditions demands a heater.

Yup. Keep believing that anon. Since you don't understand how water responds with air temperature fluctuations(air hot water cold, air cold water hot), and the same as how you dont realize fish are pretty damn hardy. its pretty hard to believe you can keep fish for long term without going bankrupt.
>>
Betta people are so funny.

>>2152144
To that guy with the baby betta, go buy some freeze-dried bloodworms and feed it in small bits

As for the water, just make sure the water you're putting it in isnt colder than the water its already in. Let both the water he's in and the water you;re going to put him in sit next to eachother for a few hours then just scoop him out with a net into the other tank.

That fish needs at LEAST 2.5 gallons to itself. It's cheaper (and safer since small tanks fluctuated in temp more)to just get a cheap 10 gallon and Walmart for $11-13 bucks and a cheap filter for like $10

dont worry about a heater until like... winter. Once your fish is settled, gradual temp changes wont kill him. With Summer heat, my bettas are in 91 degree water in the day time and around 84 at night

Be aware though that baby betta are more difficult to keep alive so yours... probably wont make it regardless but goodluck anyway! Ignore the crazies in this thread and keep us posted on his progress
>>
>>2152181
>without going bankrupt
lmao you're being pretty damn dramatic over a 20 buck heater
>>
>>2152152
Okay, your best bet is to (if money is an issue) walk there and ride the bus back. Its air-conditioned and will shorten time they are in the bags. Also I'd let the shop guys know and ask for some extra water in the bag if it seems less than about 2 cups. More water means it holds more dissolved air content and its temp stays stable longer. You can get guppies and danios together just make sure to have alot of guppies and dont be surprised if the danios nip fins and eat the guppie fry if they start breeding.
>>
>>2152181
>with a survival range of around 72-86

this is bullshit. 86 is the temp used to treat bettas for ich. Bettas can survive in waters up to 94 degrees
>>
>>2152187
No you're making something a bigger issue than it is. Its not a perquisite for keeping the fish. Its a thing that helps for longterm the anon needs to know what would be bare essentials and how to transfer the fish. They can do their own research on heaters and everything after that. I just answered his questions and you chimed in with "needing" these items that are not exactly necessary for immediate housing.
>>
>>2152194
http://bettacare101.com/mythvsreality2/

Tell that to the betta 101 care people then. Cuz it specifically says upwards of 86° so technically it can survive over that temp but itll basically starve to death because it physically couldn't eat enough to keep up with the metabolism. Basically the same thing when you put a gold fish in a warm tank.
>>
>>2152195
lmao im not even that other anon, i just think you're dramatic.

>>2152196
>muh website

>>2152151
post pics of tarantula?
>>
>>2152196
>Tell that to the betta 101 care people then.
???

why am I supposed to care about some .com website?

>itll basically starve to death because it physically couldn't eat enough to keep up with the metabolism.

people keep their betta in temps of up to 90 for WEEKS to treat ich(89.5 kills ich). This doesnt kill any betta. Your website needs its credentials checked

Goldfish are coldwater fish to begin with. Betta are absolutely not coldwater fish
>>
>>2152198
Not dramatic, just well informed unlike most people on this site. Also i have citations to back it up, hence "muh website" and its citation. Its called do some damn reading of your own you'll see there is not only 1 answer. I answered a simple questionvand was told i am wrong and this is the only way it can be done is retarded and i dont like allowing that misinformation to be out there. The OP can actually keep this fish and do just fine and they mentioned they dont have the money so i went with the bare minimum to keep the fish alive long enough for them to be able to give them a better setup.
>>
>>2152202
Omg anon, seriously? Its a website dedicated to betta care and they paid to put this info out. Why would they waste money to give misinformation? Also there are others websites that say basically the same shit.

Then you must not understand how fish biology works. High water temp means high metabolic rate. Low temp means low metabolic rate. Fish can handle short periods with fairly high temps because it does take a long time to actually starve to death. Oh, and "starve" really means death by being malnourished in this case.
You should already know this basic shit.
>>
>>2152208
>High water temp means high metabolic rate

that doesnt mean your fish is going to starve or die of malnutrtion

these 'short periods' are literally weeks-span

>there are others websites that say basically the same shit

yes, and? Making a website/blog post is free for the most part. Running into a bunch of parrots doesnt make the 'info' they spew factual
>>
>>2152196
>but itll basically starve to death because it physically couldn't eat enough to keep up with the metabolism

where on your website does it say this? because it looks like you tacked than on on your own
>>
File: 20160622_193157.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160622_193157.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
would having 1 betta in this 5 gallon overload it?

I am already having 5 assassin snails and 10 amano shrimps incoming for this tank also
>>
>>2152189
I might try the bus, though granted at certain times, the buses are shit and unreliable, so sometimes it'll take anywhere between 5 min to an hour to show up at the bus stop, so the absolute worst case scenario, I end up standing in the heat longer than I would have took walking home. Though great tip about the bag's water level.

I don't mind them eating the guppy fry at least, would probably keep their population in check
>>
>>2152224
why do you need assassin snails?

You can have 10 dwarf shrimp per gallon so you should be fine there. A betta added onto that would be fine. I dont know anything about the bioload of snails though
>>
>>2152224
I don't think it will be too crowded per se, but watch out for the bio load all those critters will produce.
>>
>>2152224
also that tank has a top, right? A betta could B-hop right out of that tank
>>
>>2152217
>>2152221
Its basic logic. Only X amount can be eaten by said fish, But its metabolic rate requires Y amount. How does this not compute?

Oh they're not equal guys.

That means if X<Y = starvation or malnutrition which will eventually shorten its life span significantly and die.
>>
>>2152232

I am getting some assassin snails cuz I don't like bladder snails in my tank

>>2152234

it has a top but I can't use it with this LED light do bettas regularly jump out of their tanks?
>>
>>2152248
Yes, bettas often jump. I recommend getting a piece of plexiglass and drilling holes in it it for a cover if you can't use the cover it came with.
>>
>>2152245
>Its basic logic.
so you made it up and dont know anything about bettas outside of the top google result for 'fish care'

>Only X amount can be eaten by said fish
you provide no value for X. Not surprising since you have no clue what it is

>But its metabolic rate requires Y amount
an amount you also have no clue on

>that means if X<Y = starvation or malnutrition which will eventually shorten its life span significantly and die.

if only you had some actual research or hell... numbers, to back any of this up
>>
>>2152248
Just get some cheap light diffuser. Its just piece of plastic with squares holes it'll allow maximum light penetration while preventing the fish from having much room to leap out. Also without cutting and drilling acrylic or plexiglass.
>>
>>2152248
>do bettas regularly jump out of their tanks

its instinctual actually. They hope from puddle to puddle looking for larger bodies of water. Hitting the border of the aquarium is enough to trigger a jump
>>
File: DSC_0013 2.jpg (256KB, 2249x1800px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0013 2.jpg
256KB, 2249x1800px
>>2152122
Poster here with an update. Couldn't afford a five gal so I got a three gal. Also, I exagerared when I said it was a baby. He's just not an adult yet. Pic is a fish that looks like him, as for some reason it wont let me post my picture of him.
>>
>>2152258
3 gallons, good work. You might get a sponge filter too. Also, if that's what he looks like, he might actually be a she, anon.
>>
>>2152251
Seriously, you must be kidding?
Look it up, you obviously dont trust anything online that i would bring up anyways. i just used those few sites as examples.

You are being blatantly ignorant, the point of the X&Y equation is for any fish. As the temp rises (species dependent) the Y will rise. If that Y raises above the X you get complications in the long term. This is how these websites get their information they do these experiments based off this kind of stuff. Its so simple and sad you cant understand it. You are just being ignorant because you have been shown with citation multiple times you are in fact WRONG and you don't like it.
>>
>>2152262
As I said, not pic of him. I know that this fish has an egg spot, but mine doesn't.
>>
File: notgood.png (148KB, 789x385px) Image search: [Google]
notgood.png
148KB, 789x385px
>>2152266
Shut the fuck up already, nobody's even arguing about fish with you anymore. They're just pointing out what a pompous prick you sound like.
>>
File: turqstf2.jpg (18KB, 300x194px) Image search: [Google]
turqstf2.jpg
18KB, 300x194px
>>2152269
I was more referring to the fin type. That fin shape looks like a female veiltail.
>>
>>2152274
lol it's a crowntail
>>
>>2152271
Well thats your problem, you can keep bitching about it or leave. You obviously had nothing to add as beneficial information or a question regarding this thread. so why chime in with your nonsense? Im just making sure there isn't any misinformation being pushed without citation. I have provided enough information necessary for everything I've said.
>>
>>2152277
I don't think it's my problem that you're a pompous prick. That sounds like a you thing.
>>
>>2152277
you guys are both right.
fish need more food at higher temps but the average kid overfeeds his betta so it's not likely to matter.

now stop being an insulting prick and get back to posting aquariums.
>>
>>2152266
>the point of the X&Y equation is for any fish
>they do these experiments based off this kind of stuff
prove it

>you have been shown with citation multiple times
now youre making shit up
>>
>>2152226
Do you have a insulated lunch box or small cooler? That would keep them safe for the trip home.
>>
>>2150731
>BOIL A ROCK

you retard

Inb4 hurr durr Neva hurt me b4
>>
>>2152288
are you seriously demanding he google a study showing fish eat more at higher temperatures?

fuck dude, let it go.
you're an idiot, we still like you.
>>
File: Usopp10.jpg (48KB, 1022x580px) Image search: [Google]
Usopp10.jpg
48KB, 1022x580px
>>2152300
>you're an idiot
hey FUCK you pa-

>we still like you
>>
File: img_111680035997376.jpg (229KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
img_111680035997376.jpg
229KB, 720x1280px
Does this angelfish look ok? He seems a bit worried.
>>
>>2152291
I do have a very small lunch bag and one of those insulated shopping bags, otherwise I could invest in one of those cheap styrofoam coolers if it calls for it.

Would they be fine in it just as is or should I supplement some ice or a cold water bottle in there?
>>
File: Im out.gif (506KB, 224x178px) Image search: [Google]
Im out.gif
506KB, 224x178px
>>2152284
>stop being an insulting prick
>insulting prick
>Prick

Really? Actually I haven't "insulted" anyone Actually, if anything I've been insulted.
>>
>>2152317
Please take your high and mighty attitude and do your pic related with it. Bye felicia
>>
>>2152318
Explain how i have this so called high and mighty attitude? If i come off that way to you, thats your own opinion. You can deal with it or leave. Its not my problem at this point.
>>
>>2152317
>Actually I haven't "insulted" anyone Actually, if anything I've been insulted
perhaps true if you were factually correct.

but you're not so if anything people have been extremely patient with your stupidity.
>>
>>2152307
Post Moar legs. I think the fish was giving you the "come hither" eye wearing those short shorts.
>>
>>2152322
Are you the same anon that asks me for moar legs literally every time I post a picture in the /aq/ thread? If so, thanks bro. It really boosts my self esteem.
>>
>>2152321
Seriously?? Do you speak english? I think that was lost in translation.

>if you were factually correct

What, the fact i posted citations and very blatant explanations so you can do your own reading? if you can find any evidence to prove me wrong then Show it.

The fact i only said people were being ignorant? Tell me anon. What do you mean?
>>
>>2152330
I mean if you're the anon arguing that increasing temperature doesn't increase dietary needs then you are factually incorrect.

you are wrong.
the other anon is right.

and you keep acting all surprised and demanding citations for something that (as usual) would take you less than three seconds to google if you really wanted to be right and not just try to defend your weak and pathetic ego.

like a little bitch.
>>
>>2152330
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>2152329
not Unless you posted the goldfish at the college, because i did mention the shorty shorts on that one.
>>
>>2152335
White shorts?
Yep, same anon.
>>
>>2152333
Omg, you are seriously confused. Im the one that posted the citation proving high water temp infact "does" increase the metabolic rate of a fish.
>>
>>2152333
The other anon is the one demanding citations and being a little bitch, and saying that increasing temperature doesn't increase dietary needs.

Pretty sure they're the same one that started a shitfest over peas a few threads ago, and regularly shits up threads by starting arguments over nothing.
>>
>>2152339
>you are seriously confused
you both have the same name.

which is why even if the other anon is an idiot it doesn't matter. we have no way of telling him from you or from me or from any anon.
>>
>>2152340
>Pretty sure they're the same one that started a shitfest over peas a few threads ago
you'd be wrong, I know because I started your pea shitfest and I'd never argue that increasing temperatures doesn't increase dietary requirements.
>>
>>2152348
Well then, we have multiple anons with similar writing styles shitting up threads with arguments that don't need to happen. Fabulous.
>>
Lads not an aquarium but will 2 gallons be big enough for betta fish?

Was gonna buy it and upsize its tank a few months from now
>>
>>2152351
The lowest recommended is usually 2.5, but if you're planning on an upsize 2 is probably fine.
>>
>>2150205
What are they eating lad?
>>
>>2152351
Two gallons would be fine. A five gallon will be easier to maintain and the betta will probably be happier, but short-term, I see no issues with a 2 gal. Just keep it clean and in a room with stable temperature.
>>
>>2152350
I don't usually shit up your threads, there's no profit in it.

You're the smartest one here and that's a pretty fucking low bar. I mostly ignore /aq/.
>>
>>2152359
HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU TELL THEM APAAAART
>>
>>2152359
>You're the smartest one here

Probably not, and that's one hell of a backhanded compliment, but I'll take it.
>>
File: food.png (365KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
food.png
365KB, 1366x768px
>>2152358
>>2152353
Alright thats good, its gonna be my first ever fish so I was a bit worried.
>>
>>2152364
Why are you ordering so much food, dawg? XD
>>
>>2152368
Didnt know which to get it and thats not that much is it?

I ended up buying 3 of each
>>
>>2152370
That's kind of a lot. It'll be fine, though, just don't overfeed the betta.
>>
>"Doesn't anon have a few fish?"
>>"Yah, but I wouldn't ask him about fish he takes it a little too seriously"

My sister can fuck right off. I don't think doing proper aquarium maintenance and breeding fish is considered too serious you POS puppy mill buying my-dog-needs-a-haircut-and-a-bath-every-week bitch. What right do you have to not only tell people not to ask me about fish, but in turn bad mouth my side business.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.
>>
>>2152375
I am glad myself and my sister get along, I've heard plenty of horror stories.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>2152373
i live in the middle of nowhere so I need to stock up, there isnt a pet shop anywhere near me and I cant drive so probably for the best. I was getting insulted earlier because I made a thread asking what type of fish this was, haha. I'd never seen one before
>>
>>2152375
I hate people that are like "well, its just a fish" I always look at them and be like "well, thats just a dog/cat" or "well, thats just a kid" even if its yours or not its still a thing that should be given the respect of a semi-decent life just like us all.
>>
>>2152375
Sister here, my brother once dropped my live goldfish down the garbage disposal. I guess I still love him though.
>>
>>2152375
People in general seem to regard fish as throwaway pets, and look down on those who take good care of their fish. It bothers me sometimes. I used to work at an animal hospital, and I would often feed the fish there because no one else could be bothered to do it. When I brought it up, I got, "lol anon fish have 5 second memory they wouldn't even know if you fed them."

They were fucking cichlids. They came to recognize me and swim to the front of the tank whenever I walked by.
>>
>>2152384
Oh, its you. I saw that thread they really shreded into you. I did mention a decent 5gal build you could do.
>>
>>2152384
>I'd never seen one before
literally impossible
>>
>>2152388
Its because their small and not fuzzy. Basically if you name anything thats smaller than a kitten thats not fuzzy people see it as just another piece of jewelry or furniture they can always replace it cuz it has no real sentimental value to them. Its extremely sad how critters will be treated just due to their size and lack of fur.
>>
File: 20160622_014022.jpg (692KB, 2210x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160622_014022.jpg
692KB, 2210x1080px
In preparation for a future move at the end of the summer, I've bartered off my honey gourami trio and sawbwa barb school for more plants and some hardscape rocks. I'll post pictures of their fates at the LFS I left them later

Here's my 40 breeder now, there is a shitload of mulm and some osmocote beads scattered on the substrate. Somehow nearly all of my RCS and Amano shrimp seem to have survived the apocalyptic substrate shifting and water change. At one point, they were sitting in 1 inch deep water completely blackened with filth

Also MIA during the massive rescaping and evacuation is 1 tiger nerite and 1 kuhli loach. May they rip in peace...

On the plus side, my nitrates finally dropped to 20ppm after months of sitting at 80ppm! Let's see how much longer the nitrates will keep low, especially with the help of fast growing stems now.
>>
File: 1463627737289.png (526KB, 453x614px) Image search: [Google]
1463627737289.png
526KB, 453x614px
>>2152375
>fish passed away
>girlfriend tells me that it's just a fish
>she doesn't understand i had the fish 5x longer than our relationship, have helped heal it's wounds and illnesses, have watched it swim for hundreds of hours, and have painstakingly cared for it for over a decade
>just a fish
>>
>>2152395
How, ive only ever seen a goldfish before and that wasnt irl?

>>2152391
>they really shreded
well they called me a retard, but im use to it and wouldnt really class that as shredded but I know what you mean haha, I bought someone elses tank as it came with everything (heater, filter, 3 bags of black sand, thermometer) so it was to good of a deal to miss but the tank is really small.
>>
>>2152404
it is just a fish though, mine fed his 6 year old goldfish to his pet crab cause he got bored of it

tight but kinda funny how little some people can care about animals compared to others
>>
>>2152406
They called you retard for not being aware of a thing not everyone knows about. Thats pretty brutal when all you did was ask a simple question.

Yeah, thats usually the best way to go. How much did you spend on it? Also can you take pictures? If you dont know the gal, Do you know the dimensions at least?
>>
>>2152409
How about I come over and eat your fucking cat/dog while you watch. When you ask me why, I'll tell you "it's just a dog/cat, why do you care so much?"
someone should post the hermit crab anon story.
>>
>>2152413
I suppose to most people it is a stupid question
and ive only just ordered it, not getting here till monday but I know its 2 gallons. Can't remember the dimensions though. The fish is gonna be a baby though so it should be fine just until I get my 10 gallon tank. And it was 30 quid including everything.
>>
>>2152415
Dont have a cat and I would happily let you eat my moms dog.

Its legit just a fish, do you get upset over every sperm cell that goes down the plug hole as well?
>>
>>2152417
I get upset when something I've taken care of for years dies.

I used to have a plant I got in the hospital when I was 14 years old. Lost it in a move when I was 29 and it hurt.
>>
File: 1466647102879.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1466647102879.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>2152404
Bitches can be bitches
ExhibitA >>2152409
Thats terrible anon, people just dont get how much effort you can put into just a "fish" because when they were younger they were taught to see fish as food, toys, furniture. They aren't taught at an early age that its a life and takes work to keep it alive and comfortable. But everyone us taught a dog or a cat is a "pet" and should be treated better than other animals.
>>
>>2152417
You're a shitty person, a troll, or both. Kill yourself.
>>
>>2152423
Yeah I agree it was horrible what he did, but at least his crab enjoyed it.

>>2152420
I can actually relate to this, my gran bought me a plant when I was 5 and I still had it when I was 16 years old and my mom threw it away cause it looked "old"
>>
>>2152426
I am a really nice person actually, that upset me.
>>
>>2152417
Obviously you comparing ejaculate to fish shows how aware you are of life and sentimental value. Because jacking off takes 5 minutes and raising a fish takes years of patience and care. You start to realize they rely on you to survive, where ejaculate only does that once it becomes a child.
>>
>>2151519
He's a NEET, so what?
>>
>>2152417
If I had personally nurtured that cell, tended to it's wounds, and watched it grow over the span of a decade, then yeah I'd still mourn its passing. It's called attachment. You know, that thing non-autistic people do to foster relationships, loyalty, comradery, and rear offspring?
>>
>>2152432
I was messing about, I know how it feels
But it is still just a fish, just cause its old doesnt make it a football or anything else
>>
>>2152434
Nah I would know I am autistic
>>
>>2152435
Okay, now you must be trolling. Cuz you just compared a living fish to a non living football. Wtf??
>>
>>2152436
wouldnt silly me
>>
I kept getting confused because I thought you was all misspelling mom but then I remember Americans spell it different. You guys aint like r9k are you where brits aint allowed? I like this board I cant believe ive never been on here before.
>>
>>2152386

is it bad I tend to have that "it's just a fish" attitude on feeders like non fancy guppies, common tetras, and any really small growing, really cheap fish that cost less than $2? I kinda feed some to my turtle and just have them act as cleaners/background tank activity to the tank.

I respect the shit out of every other fish though and would never dream to use anything exotic, large growing, or beautiful as a feeder.
>>
One last question, sorry I know this isnt the place but you all seem to know your stuff.

Is there a difference between the male and female bettas? Cause the males are a lot more expensive.

I know that female can live in groups but I thought that would make them more expensive not less
>>
>>2152444
Ever see a male peacock? They're a lot prettier, right? Same deal with the fish.
>>
>>2152432
Takes you 5 minutes?
Wow you can go for days ;)
>>
>>2152445
Oh right, so I should get a male. And, I havent seen one irl obviously haha

Sucks I dont get to pick I just get a random one
http://www.tropicalfishbypost.co.uk/siamese-fighter.html
>>
>>2152442
Feeders are bred to be eaten. Basically their genetics are so shit that they don't usually live all too long, very rarely do you get longevity out of a feeder. I mean it happens, but not often. Also if the fish is dispatched quickly or left to live in the tank to be eaten then its fine. But if the feeder gets to big i usually move em to their own tank or i give em back to the shop.
>>
>>2152448
You don't house a male and female betta in the same tank. Only for a short time to breed before removing them, if I've been reading stuff correctly.
>>
>>2152447
Well it jumps to 15 minutes if i use lotion obviously. But still not comparable to a fish.
>>
>>2152451
I'm just getting the one.
>>
>>2152452
I am 1 minute with lotion 3 without
>>
>>2152452
??? Why does it take longer with lotion?
>>
>>2152457
Less friction? I thought that was normal.
>>
>>2152458
I'm a girl so how am I supposed to know, I guess I thought it would feel better or something.
>>
>>2152458
it's not
>>2152460
you're a better man that that dude will ever be.
>>
>>2152458
Nah man, most people bust quick as fuck with lotion cause its more like being in a vagina
>>
>>2152262
>>2152258
Speaking of sponge filters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrLYm-ZDGLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CnMWfQfc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyEHHmeZY0

Here's some cool videos about creating DIY sponge filters and such. Don't let the other anons scare you off with their "You HAVE to go to STORE and SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY or you are FISH HITLER!!!"

Yes, what they are saying is important. If you want your little betta buddy to live a long happy life then you do need a heater and filter.

But it doesn't have to be super expensive, either. Watch all of those videos and if nothing else it will help explain the importance of cycling and how to purify the water so your new friend doesn't get his gills burned by the ammonia in his/her own waste.
>>
>>2152461
I'm getting so many mixed messages right now.
>>
>>2152461
>you're a better man that that dude will ever be.

fucking white knight
>>
>>2152458
>>2152460
>>2152461
>>2152463
That would explain why sex took 30+ minutes when i was in highschool. I there was times where i just got bored. Then again im not really all into sex i never asked for it anyways.
Obviously, cuz i got my hands.
>>
>>2152469
your dick is broken
>>
>>2152460
Post nudes or gtfo

no girls on 4chan
>>
>>2152471
hows being a virgin going?
>>
>>2152472
Tsk tsk anon, this is a SFW board.
I'm >>2152307 though, you can probably see my reflection.
>>
Spiders are the only thing I dont have sympathy for, if your pet tarantula dies fucking good.

Just wasted half a bottle of axe trying to kill a spider
>>
>>2152387
You should have sawed his nuts off with a steak knife.
>>
>>2152474
You look like a femboy not a real girl

go other to /b/ and trick them
>>
File: 50260494.jpg (27KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
50260494.jpg
27KB, 1024x1024px
So awhile back, I posted about having 2 young Koi dumped on me. They're still sitting in a 10 gallon tank and I had an idea.

Would it be a bad idea to keep them in big rubbermaid container?. I figure it'll be better than the 10 gallon that they're in nut im not sure if something like that is made to hold that much water for an extended period

pic related is about $20 and holds around 30 gallons
>>
>>2152480
I've kept fish in buckets before, they'll probably be good.
>>
>>2152429
Go back to tumblr, you fucking sociopath.
>>
>>2152477
Why would a girl even come on 4chan?

Even the fat ones can easily be popular and have friends
>>
>>2152482
Tumblr has sociopaths?, hmm.
I havent given that website a fair chance
>>
>>2152480
If you're gonna do that just dig a big hole in your yard and get some liner for 30 bucks and line the hole with it lay some rocks down amd fill boom got yourself a pond, all you need is a decent water fixture to creat a waterfall effect so it gets oxygen and circulation.
>>
>>2152477
How rude
>>2152483
Because the tumblr fish community is fucking toxic and full of special snowflakes
>>
>>2152485
I was thinking of converting our old jacuzzi into a pond. Still need a filter system and im not exactly making the kind of money to keep a pond in good condition

Especially in the desert area I live in
>>
>>2152441
Welcome to /an/! We do have some brits here. But you don't need to worry, anons are mostly chill on this board. Although we do get the occasional troll.

Watch out for plont (aka bugguy) though, he's a mentally disturbed (most likely autistic) European who hates cats. He thinks it's perfectly fine to deliberately grow plants on his property that not only attracts his neighbors cats, but slowly poisons them so they die horrible agonizing deaths. He's openly admitted to this and even tells other anons (whenever they ask for plant advice) to grow lilies in their yards, despite knowing they are deadly toxic to cats.

But you're safe here, he rarely comes into /aq/
>>
>>2152487
So is this one
>>
Put c02 into the water it's good
>>
>>2152442
No, of course not. It's the same as differentiating between chickens you raise to eat. And pet parrots you keep as companions.
>>
>>2152474
>legs is a girl
fuck
It's so hard to find cute boys into the same hobbies I am.
>>
>>2152488
Hmmm, from what i see, you can get a 10'x12' liner for roughly 30 bucks, you can get a filter for 30-35 bucks that attaches to your water fixture pump. The bigger the pump the more gph filtered. So you could dig a 9'x10'x3' W×L×D once filled would only need to be topped off every once in a while.
>>
File: screenshot01.png (36KB, 973x286px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot01.png
36KB, 973x286px
>>2152491
Not like this, anon.
>>
>>2152488
Oh forgot to add. You can use the jacuzzi pumps and jets to make your own water fixtures if you have any handyman skills.
>>
File: icon.png (48KB, 157x163px) Image search: [Google]
icon.png
48KB, 157x163px
>>2152502
>mfw
>>
>>2152473
you take that back right now
>>
>>2152498
Oh anon. One day your prince will come.
>>
File: 20160622_194841.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160622_194841.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>2152467
Think i can put a sponge on the end of this? It runs off a bubbler and actually has quite the water flow through it.
>>
>>2152502
Types like me and hes right

I do like your fish though >>2152307
Looks like youve drawn eyebrows on him
>>
>>2152503
>>2152501

this jacuzzi is ancient. I can ask around but im fairly certain the pumps and whatnot dont work anymore
>>
>>2152507
>based reaction image
That looks really familiar, what is it from? Reminds me of bionacles or something.
>>
>>2152490
Oh right, thanks for the introduction. Sounds like a nice board.
>>
>>2152515
starscream from transformers, according to reverse image search anyway
>>
>>2152063
I've had a 10 gallon and a 30 gallon with mixed tropicals.

>>2152065
Was thinking goldfish, is sand a good substrate for them or do they prefer gravel?

>>2152118
Thought about betas but I'm leaning towards g.f.
>>
>>2152513
Im sure you, your fish and everyone else involved would probably prefer a nice pond vs a gross rubbermaid tub. I mean short-term the tub will be fine. But uf they are in there for more than a couple weeks it becomes a bit much and it'll get pretty gross very fast. You'll be putting more effort keeping it clean longterm.
>>
>>2152512
Haha thanks! He was a big hit on my tumblr. Unfortunately he only has the eyebrow on the one side, so it was hard to get a good shot of him.

>>2152520
>starscream
I don't know what I expected from transformers. Thanks though!
>>
>>2152529
Two yous, not bad.

What fish do you keep him with?
>>
>>2152529
More photos of the entire tank please. I like the fish, but im interested in the aquascape you got. Is it actually your own tank you personally work on and own?
>>
>>2152532
>>2152533
Unfortunately, I don't have that tank anymore. I've dropped him and his buddy off at a friend's house while I'm away taking some summer classes, because no one in my family really understands fish (my mom still berates me for buying a 5 gallon for my betta because "they live in mud puddles!1!"). Also with him is another larger angelfish, whom eyebrows beats the snot out of routinely, but it's a love-hate relationship.
>>
So I have two planted vases with API first layer, added conditioner and bacteria starters a couple of weeks ago. One of them developed that white protein film, it's not exposed to light very often since it's in a bathroom with no windows. I've already stuck one ghost shrimp in there to see how it does.
The other is next to the kitchen window, has grown a thick, mucus-y green/gray slimy film on surface and plant leaves, and anything I put in it will freak out so I've stopped experimenting.

Both have normal nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, ph, hardness, etc.

I'm also looking at nerite snails one for each vase. I don't want any fish in them, just a snail per vase and a few shrimp or something.
>>
File: 1466177811158.gif (119KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1466177811158.gif
119KB, 500x500px
Rate my set up
>>
>>2152537
I did the same when I was in uni, only to find out that my absolute prick of a "friend" had bought some massive cichlids that ate my guys for breakfast.
>>2152551
I r8 b8/8. Can't rel8.
>>
File: Can't unsee.gif (1MB, 300x187px) Image search: [Google]
Can't unsee.gif
1MB, 300x187px
>>2152551
Oh no, you just leave. We don't need this here right now.
>>
>>2152555
>>2152554
Why its a comfy tank
>>
File: loach.jpg (10KB, 300x150px) Image search: [Google]
loach.jpg
10KB, 300x150px
NEW THREAD
>>2152558
NEW THREAD
>>2152558
NEW THREAD
>>2152558
>>
>>2152258
eBay has internal filters starting at about $7.

>>2152262
Sponge filters are good but by the time you buy an air pump, tubing, and a check valve they're not that economical. They're also loud.

>>2152340
>saying that increasing temperature doesn't increase dietary needs.
Literally no one has said this. You're just an idiot who can't read.
>>
>>2152448
If you don't have the fish yet it would be better if you cycled the tank first. It takes a few weeks, but it's worth it and it's a lot better for the fish.
>>
>>2152584
Yep, I misinterpreted the implications of a post. So sue me, faggot.
>>
>>2152835
Weird way of spelling "I made a shitty straw man and got called out for it. Why is everyone so mad at mee?"
>>
>>2152835
>>2153698
Just leave it. No one cares
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.