[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever owned a great dane? I've been toying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: great_dane1.jpg (23KB, 320x293px) Image search: [Google]
great_dane1.jpg
23KB, 320x293px
Has anyone here ever owned a great dane?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a dog, and I'm a really tall guy (6'4") so it seems like a really big but gentle dog is the way I need to go.

I've read up a fair deal and the only thing that I'm worried about is how short their lives are and how much they slobber. I'm sort of obsessive about keeping a clean house, so I'd be a bit worried about all my stuff getting covered in slobber. Is it possible to train them well enough not to chew on / slobber on all your stuff?

Without having extensive knowledge about dog breeds, what I read about danes they seem perfect because of how friendly, gentle, and smart they are which seems perfect for me.

I'm curious if anyone here has any experiences though.

I would likely get one from a reputable breeder.
>>
I've never owned a dane, but as a general rule, animals and being a neat freak with a clean house are very incompatible. They are going to make your house a mess no matter what you do. It's just part of owning an animal really.
>>
>>2129534
Wonderful dogs, but be prepared for huge vet bills. Their size means double medication costs on everything.
Also, they eat and shit massive amounts (humongous shits) and ours only lived 7 years, which is average for the breed, but felt horribly short.
>>
>>2129568

I keep poking fun at my girlfriend by telling her she's going to be picking up shits that are bigger than mine.
>>
If you want to keep your house clean get a breed that doesn't shed.

Bouvier
Wheaten
Poodle

Give them a shave once a month and they are perfectly clean dogs that don't have to have that shaggy look.
>>
>>2129534
Try a greyhound. They're sweet dogs, smart, and couch potatoes.
>>
>>2129568
Great Danes I've seen get these big hard bulbousy things on their joints and feet when they get old. Is that normal? Looks very gross
>>
>>2129601

Seems to be normal for giant breeds.
>>
>>2129534
I have a merle dane, I let him in the house when I'm at home. If i'm at work, I let him outside. The property is about an acre so I let him do whatever he wants.

Drool is a constant issue. He will drool the shit out of everything. Also do you have a car? Say goodbye to the back seat. I bought him one of those seat covers for huge dogs, but he still drools the shit out of the window and doors.

Other then that, they are super clumsy indoors, and if you let them on the furniture they will fuck shit up. Don't let them in the kitchen.

They do shed quite a bit, for a short haired breed. In my experience.

Socialize them at a very young age and you shoudn't have any trouble with aggresive behaviour towards other dogs.

Shits? Humongous. Piss? Fountains. Dude will occasionally piss on the floor if he's mad at me or i leave him inside and i forget.

The plus side? Super super nice dog. Lets my nephews get away with anything. Loves just about everybody. Really gentle dude. He does protect the house from strangers, although he's all bark no bite.

Also walk him 45 mins in the morning, night. He's an absolute pussy magnet. Cars stop to say hi. People want to pet him. Be aware that you will receive constant attention if you take him out.

pic related
>>
My aunt has an Irish Wolf Hound. The dog's pretty big, kinda ugly, super sweet to family, protective of family and never drools. She does shed a lot though, but at least she never drools. Drool is disgusting.
>>
My family had them the hole time I was growing up. They are one of those dogs that are cool as shit when somebody else owns them but get annoying when you have to live with it everyday. Their tails are whips and they whip them into you and anything you have on tables knocking shit to the floor. They love stepping on your feet. Several of ours loved to stand right in front of the TV with a dumb look on their face while you yell at them to move. They aren't very bright. Their heads are right at table/counter level so say goodbye to anything eatable you leave laying out unsupervised.
>>
>>2129880
Sounds like you've got some ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. As do I. My brother has one. She only drools after drinking water and then she likes to come up and put her face on you. She'll surf the counter and pick off any food, crumbs, as well as the catfood that we keep high up so our other dog couldn't get to it.
Great danes are weird man. If you're sitting on the couch or on the floor she'll come up to you and sit in your lap. Only dog I've lived with that really seems to enjoy blankets. She's never knocked anything off the counter from what I remember, though she's always lumbered around softly and wagged her tail slowly and low down.
>>
So far I've learned that great danes do(n't) drool a lot, do(n't) shed a lot, shit 5 lb shits, and are generally clumsy.
>>
>>2129534
Short lifespan and prone to various health problems due to their size.

I'd love to own one at some point but having him pass away after 6-8 years would be rough.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1464249421821.jpg (181KB, 1376x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1464249421821.jpg
181KB, 1376x960px
>>2129534

Maybe look at getting a mastiff mix.

These are neapolitan mastiffs, dogue de bourdeux, great dane mixes. From a breeder who breeds family guardians for tempernant and type rather than pedrigree purebred bullshit.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1464249428141.jpg (144KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1464249428141.jpg
144KB, 1080x720px
>>2130741
>>
>>2129534
If you want the size but not the medical problems, look for a great dane mix! I have a great danexlab and he's amazing!
>>
>>2129929
>>2129839
Both of these are spot on. Also my two Danes (and every Dane I have ever met) like to drink directly out of the bathroom faucet. Every goddam morning. BOOM.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.