[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to figure out which fish is killing my neon tetras and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (122KB, 750x826px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 750x826px
I need to figure out which fish is killing my neon tetras and why.

I have a 55 gallon tank and the guys at PetSmart said the water is fine.

I have a 4" pleco, 4 2" glass catfish, 2 fancy guppies, 1 molly, 1 platy, and had 7 neon tetras.

I came home from work yesterday and the biggest tetra was dead, stuck to the filter with a bite taken out of its abdomen with some scales missing all around its body. I figured it died of old age and the pleco was scavenging it.

I came home today and only 2 of my tetras were swimming around. 2 others were dead with similar injuries. I haven't found the other 2 but they're presumed dead.

I've been feeding everybody flakes twice daily but got some frozen bloodworms today, the store was sold out when I got the catsfish a week ago.

What do
>>
Catfish.

They don't fucking play.
>>
>>2088260
Great. Gonna flush them all. Everything I've read has said these glass catfish are peaceful community guys but apparently not. Oh well.
>>
Yea its definitely the catfish those things don't fuck around
>>
You're entire tank is a fucking mess.
>>
>>2088266
>flush

wtf? give them to a pet store or put them up on craigslist. if you live in any kind of city someone will take them from you. don't flush them please
>>
>>2088266

Really?

I spent 5 minutes looking up catfish yesterday and read several times to keep them alone.

>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
finally caught these assholes. Gonna return them tomorrow. everything I've read and been told about glass catfish is they're docile and okay with other tropical fish but that's not the case. guess I'll call this a learning experience
>>
>>2088305
>mfw OP keeps loosing tetras and it wasn't the glass catfish
>mtfw when i have no face
>>
>>2088307
>implying guppies, mollies, or platies would kill tetras
it's probably the big ass pleco. get rid of it and get some cory cats OP
>>
>>2088253
Glass catfish are generally peaceful, could be that they're stressed from a too-small school.

What kind of pleco is it? Some are pretty aggressive.
>>
>>2088305
might be the pleco dude...in fact i'd tend toward thinking it was the pleco..
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 400x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 400x314px
>>2088320
I don't know what kind, it was a gift with the tank. This is the most similar pic I can find. Says it's a Hypostomus plecostomus

If I get rid of the pleco too, what should I do about algae?
>>
>>2088338
>Hypostomus plecostomus
That fish will get to be about a foot long, aggressive and is only interested in algae while it's very small. Try cleaning your glass.
>>
>>2088338
Really though, there's no fish that will make a huge dent in your algae. You're better off cleaning the tank more, changing the water, and maybe lowering the light.

Algae eaters:
certain shrimp and snails
otocinculus
siamese algae eater
bristlenose or rubberlip pleco
>>
File: IMG_20160324_201926.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_201926.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
While we are on this subject, what is up with my friend's fish? I went over and noticed that the other neon was gone and this one had this whitish ball that seemingly has a red core on its side. Pic related

Is it a fungus? Is it cancer? Wtf is it? Please excuse my potato phone camera
>>
Christ I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people that plecos get huge, only eat algae when they are babies, are aggressive as fuck, cannot live with goldfish and no you can't have them in a ten gallon for a "temporary" housing option and yes I'm aware they are in a small tank right now but I can't fucking change the cooperation and their dumb stupid veiws on animal health.
>>
>>2088403
Had a fat fucking pleco in a 100 gallon tank, he never bothered the cichlids. Sadly, he downgraded to 20 gallons with a single cichlid. Died about a year ago, but lived for a insanely long time in such a tiny tank. Rip.
>>
>>2088266
It definitely wasn't the glass cats. They don't have the jaws to do that. Other catfish are notorious for killing fish, but by swallowing them whole, not biting chunks out of them.

What is likely happening is the neons are dying, and the other fish are eating them. They tend to pick the guts out first which looks like the cause of death.

>>2088315
Definitely wasn't the pleco. A pleco couldn't even begin to catch and kill neons. Nothing in OP's tank is likely to have done that, but the plecos and glass cats are at the bottom of the list.
>>
>>2088305
Bullshit, it wasn't the Ghost Catfish. What are your parameters OP?
>>2088338
>what should I do about algae
Otocinclus Catfish, Siamese Algae Eaters, Shrimp(besides macrobrachium), and Nerite/Trumpet/Ramshorn will eat algae.

>>2088383
Poor conditions = Bad health
What are the parameters? Ich is developing on the tetra, sore could be anything from a fungus to an infection though.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.