[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I uh, I don't know if this is the place to ask,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Nap Time.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Nap Time.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Hey guys, I uh, I don't know if this is the place to ask, but what is the healthiest senior cat food I can get for my pic related. She has all her teeth and is pretty healthy, lately I've been supplementing her dry food with wet food, specifically that expensive as shit Purina Pro-Plan grain free stuff. I'm looking at dry food brands right now and kinda want to go with a grain free option that mostly meat proteins and fats. What should I consider trying?
>>
>>2027938
I should also mention she's strictly indoors so she doesn't supplement her diet with stuff she hunts.
>>
Get off the dry, feed only wet. Stick with stuff that has little to no carbs. The brands I like are Weruva if your cat is overweight and Wild Calling if your cat is underweight/healthy weight.
>>
She's adorable and thank you for taking good care of your kitty!

Unfortunately I don't know much about cat nutrition except that higher protein/fat content is better, with as much meat and as little filler (grains and starches) as possible; also supplementing some wet food as well is good just for the extra moisture to make sure she gets enough water.
>>
File: cozy.jpg (964KB, 2340x1316px) Image search: [Google]
cozy.jpg
964KB, 2340x1316px
>>2027942
Wild calling shit is so expensive. Holy fuck
>>2027943
>She's adorable
Damn straight.
>>
Trader Joe's wet cat food is pretty decent, and cheap. Probably the best ratio between quality and price you are going to find.
Innova and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul are also good, but run about 30-40 cents more per can.

>I'm looking at dry food brands right now
Don't. Just find a wet food you can afford that has the least amount of carbs.
>>
>>2027954
>Trader Joe's wet cat food
The nearest one is three hours away. Where can I order online that isn't charging double?
>>
Why is wet food better than dry? What about their teeth?
>>
>>2027963
It has more nutrients and it's easier to have a slightly healthier wet food since meat stuff requires additive to preserve even when dry, I mean so does the canned stuff, but less so. Honestly though you're right about the teeth, a mix of the two is better.
>>
>>2027972
Yeah that's what I've always heard is that feeding both is best.

Do you guys feed them side by side or one meal wet, one meal dry?
>>
File: pleb.png (1MB, 658x1170px) Image search: [Google]
pleb.png
1MB, 658x1170px
>>2027974
I personally keep the dry food out, about half a cup a day, and feed her the wet food when I get up in the morning. She self-regulates pretty well and doesn't over eat.
>>
>>2027962
Look up delivery services in your area? Pay a coworker who lives on the other side of town to bring you some?
Comparisons of other foods:
http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf
Elderly cats need more fat than average, you are looking for moderately high fat and the least amount of carbs.

>>2027972
>>2027963
Dry food does zilch for tooth health. If that really is a concern, feed chicken wings/necks/back sections.
Ignoring water intake concerns- dry food, by necessity, has more carbohydrates to serve as a binder to extrude little kibbles. This, in turn, causes your cats blood sugar to spike whenever it eats.
The sugar also feeds bacteria in the cat's mouth, which can cause dental issues. The action of biting dry food is not sufficient to flush this away, it just builds up. Biting toys in play does help teeth. So does scraping meat off bones.
>>
>>2028021
>Look up delivery services in your area? Pay a coworker who lives on the other side of town to bring you some?
THREE HOURS. As in a 200 miles or so drive to another state. Spending $30 in gas to get cheaper cat food is kinda pointless.
>feed chicken wings/necks/back sections
>So does scraping meat off bones.
Cooked or raw? Also aren't the bones dangerous and prone to splitting?
>>
>>2027963
>>2027972
>>2027974
Kibble is much worse for dental health than canned due to the high carb content. It's like you snacking on crackers all day and expecting your teeth to be clean. If you don't feed raw meaty bones then you can't expect your pets' teeth to stay completely healthy without an extra supplement like Plaque Off and regular brushing.
>>
>>2028031
>raw meaty bones
What kind?
>>
>>2028023
Raw, they splinter when cooked.
Feed somewhere easy to disinfect.

Forgive my assumption on the three hours thing. It takes me three hours to drive to my coworker's house because of traffic- didn't realize you were talking about 200miles.
>>
>>2028040
For cats I'd go wing tips and necks, chicken or duck.
>>
>>2028069
What about dear heads?
>>
>>2028053
That's a myth, bones splinter when raw too. You have to have a grinder when feeding raw bones, and even then you can end up feeding too much calcium if you aren't very careful.

I'm not trying to sound like a jackass and yell at you that your wrong, I just really want people to think about that 'raw bones don't splinter'.

Of course they splinter, its a bone not a tendon. Please, just next time you have a raw chicken bone, bite down on it with your teeth or break it in half. It splinters. I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying raw bones don't do this.

>>2027938
Just do a mix of dry and wet. Honestly, canned food doesn't have enough complete nutrients for a cat to live healthy on unless they eat a lot of it-which most cats won't do.

Your better off getting a high quality dry food (something like Perfect Bistro or taste of the wild), and an OK wet food and feed them side by side. If water is a concern, wet the dry food down a bit.
>>
>>2028103
Just to back this up-

http://m.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_dg_raw_bones_or_cooked_bones?page=2

It's your animals, so you'll do what you want, but I highly suggest everyone recognize that feeding raw is a relatively knew trend and I encourage that people wait a few years for more research to come out before using your own pets as guinea pigs.

If you absolutely are insistent on raw feeding, PLEASE, get it from a licensed source that already has the nutrients balanced correctly.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.