[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How smart is /a/ ? Why aren't all plants poisonous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: plant.jpg (44KB, 194x250px) Image search: [Google]
plant.jpg
44KB, 194x250px
How smart is /a/ ?
Why aren't all plants poisonous?
>>
animals shit out seeds, plant grows. so why would they be poisonous when it helps when they're seedberries get eaten.

haven;t you ever looked at deer shit? or looked at what birds eat?

sage because i don't care
>>
>>2017835
Technically right, but not what I'm looking for. I know the answer, this a like a fun little quiz.
>>
>>2017839

sorry, i just looked at this thread like "What breed is my cat threads"
>>
>>2017834
Because they want to be eaten and spread. The end.

Or I could go google I guess.
>>
Better question: Why don't more animals use electricity as a defensive weapon? It seems like the ones that do have absolutely no predators and have a pretty sweet ride in nature.
>>
Plants are poisonous to some animals but not others.
>>
File: 1427241715219.jpg (172KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1427241715219.jpg
172KB, 640x1136px
Why aren't all cats poisonous ? Let's see what /n/ can do
>>
I'm pretty certain you're only asking this because of that Lindybeige video.
>>
I'm not going to do your homework, you tell me.
>>
>>2018415
>birds can eat capsaicin
What's the deal with this? Can all birds eat hot peppers without being bothered by it? I had a cockatiel that loved to chew my mouse cable. I wrapped it in tape with the sticky side out and put a shit ton of dried crushed cayenne pepper on each layer. The bird licked it and loved it. It chewed the shit out of that tape. It has taken me years of eating spicy food to get where I can eat pure cayenne pepper. This year old bird loved the stuff immediately and it encouraged his chewing.
>>
>>2018455
Birds have an extremely paltry amount of taste buds
>>
>>2018455

HOT BURD
>>
>>2018455
It's a method plants use to make sure only birds eat there fruit. It allows wider propagation.
>>
>>2018464
>Birds have an extremely paltry amount of taste buds
I considered that possibility. The thing is my eyes don't have any taste buds. My dick doesn't either. If I touch either with even a trace of cayenne pepper on my hands it burns. Cuts in my skin burn when they get pepper juice on them. Some people's asshole burns when the shit after eating peppers. There has to be something else going on.
>>2018478
>HOT BURD
It was awesome. Before that I used to separate a portion of food I cooked for my cockatiel before adding spicy peppers. I started giving him the same stuff I eat after that. Sometimes I put cayenne pepper on seeds.
>>
>>2018483
Hmm that's interesting. Think of it more of peppers adapting to birds than birds adapting to peppers. I'm interested in the mechanism too. What's different about bird biology that makes their pain receptors ignore capsaicin?

It seems like capsaicin back fired in some cases. If you eat hot food your body responds with endorphines. This reinforces the pepper eating behavior. I've tried prank hotsauces that were ridiculously hot and I did get a noticeable opiate like high from it.
>>
>>2017847
Because generating an electrical current strong enough to make a predator leave you alone is extraordinarily costly to the creature. Also the adaptations that an organism has to evolve in order for creating a strong elsctric shock are very specific, which requires a very specific creature
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.