[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do a lot of animal shelters prevent people living in apartments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: yorkie mix.jpg (54KB, 350x383px) Image search: [Google]
yorkie mix.jpg
54KB, 350x383px
A while ago, I tried to adopt a Yorkie mix from the shelter. I've been to the shelter myself and the Yorkie has a really friendly personality.

I hence submitted an electronic adoption application form online once I got back home as required. However, the shelter did not reply for longer than a week.

I hence decided to phone the shelter. They told me that my application form was rejected as walking a dog for an hour is insufficient.I said that it was only a small dog yet they said that since I live in an apartment, I need to walk the dog every few hours for it to empty its bladders. I said that this is ridiculous and that I could just use wee wee pads. They also said that we have no time to groom the dog, despite that I could just trim the dog's coat short. In the end, the shelter just cut me off the phone.

I understand that it's nice for a dog to live in a garden, but the property prices in the city I'm from is very expensive and only the upper class could afford that. I understand the owner of the shelter and most people whom managed to adopt dogs from the shelter are from very wealthy backgrounds too and I probably look "poor" in comparison. The Yorkie was adopted by another wealthy family a few days ago.

I felt that I was being discriminated. Is it just this shelter or do a lot of animal shelters prevent people who live in apartments from adopting dogs? Do a lot of shelters like to "choose" the best candidate for adoption as if they're an employer? Thanks.
>>
it was probably the using pee pads that did you in. they're a sign of a lazy owner and should only be used in absolutely needed temporary situations or if the dog is so old/sick they cannot get out to piss

and keep in mind the number of "hurr hypoallergenic they have HAIR" dogs they see with people who don't properly groom them and they ended matted and disgusting. getting a dog like that and admittedly not having money to groom them is irresponsible and a red flag

our shelter doesn't have a blanket no adoption to apartments rule, but it just depends on the dog. but if you would have to use pee pads because you aren't there enough to take the dog out, that would definitely be a denial situation. otherwise it's usually just dogs that are very high energy/training need or loud that would be no-apartment
>>
>>2015861
How often does a dog need to be taken outside?
>>
>>2015864
three times a day, /possibly/ two once you get to know the dog's bladder and needs. but a small dog also usually needs to go out more
>>
>>2015864
Very small dogs and puppies much more often than larger dogs.
Every few hours for the former, 5-10 hours for the latter.
>>
>>2015868
Twice a day? You expect a dog to hold it 12 hrs at a time? Don't ever own a dog.

The dog should be taken out at least 4 times a day.
>>
>>2015871
I said POSSIBLY once you get to know the dog well you moron, I go home on my lunch break to let mine out because I know they can't do it comfortably. some do, some don't. and that's assuming when you get home after work they can go out as much as needed, get a walk, etc.
>>
>>2015874
NO dog should be forced to wait 12 hours to go to the bathroom.
>>
>>2015851
I'll be honest, OP, I wouldn't give the yorkie to you, either. I'm not trying to be mean, but I just want to show you what the red flags are here, and why they are red flags

>Pee pads
They are known to get dogs used to peeing indoors, not just on the pee pads. I know I have churned out perfectly house-trained animals to come back months later as problem dogs who are now actually trained to piss inside and on soft things.
>an hour walk
For a small breed dog, that is insufficient. They need a few walks a day. Your average dog should be let out to pee and poop at least 3 times a day, a smaller dog obviously doesn't have the bladder. The first 2 weeks it's home, he may even need to go out multiple times a day while he adjusts to a new environment and schedule. Keep in mind, even then he may have accidents while he gets used to his new pee routine.
>trim the dog
Not unless you are a certified groomer. Look, I thought I could do this too, with a dog a lot less harder to groom than a yorkie. It's not nearly as easy as it seems, that's why people actually go to school just for it. You don't know the dog; it may be sensitive in areas, or have matts, or better yet matts in bad places like the groin and toes. The face in general is also awful to do. They move so much, you really need a grooming table. You have to actually pay a groomer to do this, honestly. Depending on how long you want the coat, it may be a monthly fee.

Also shelters have the right to turn down anyone, especially if they believe a better family will come along to adopt. You were looking at a cute, toy purebred dog; it will get a lot of attention. What kind of shelter were you looking at? Rescues, no-kills and shelters that get to 'pick and choose' the dogs they take in get to be much more picky with adopters. Kill shelters and over-crowded shelters, not so much.
>>
>>2015899
All that being said, I see a lot of Yorkies on NYC ACC get euthanized for aggression or treatable medical issues. I'm sure, with a dog that won't get another home, they'd give OP that dog. But I doubt he'd want that dog.
>>
I was wondering something similar, OP.
I live in a trailer park but I never spend time there other than breakfast and to sleep. So I bring my dog with me everywhere I go.
I think that's why I was denied on my application for a corgi. Maybe I didn't have a stable enough household? Or people still think they're a "vocal" breed and will piss off my neighbors at night.
>>
>>2015928
Personally, I always have a conversation with potential adopters before I make a decision. Even then, I am not allowed to say no to an adopter without a manager approving it. But I will tell them to strongly re-consider. I always tell people that I believe any dog can live in an apartment, it just depends on the amount of work you have to put into it.

It's possible that either someone who was better fit came along and wanted to adopt the same dog (which is common with rescue groups and highly sought after dogs) or, like OP, you may have mentioned some things that you didn't even know were red flags and attribute it to wealth, living area, etc.
>>
>>2015935
I tend to always think of how my words can be misconstrued but I believe you might be on to something there. Either way, I have still looked at more shelters and kept my eyes open.
I dont have many requirements in a dog but it seems that my current needs in a dog are rarely met. I might have misunderstood you but are you saying that corgis are highly sought after dogs?
>>
>>2015871
Lol my dog goes out twice a day. She'll go to the door when she needs to go which is twice a day.
>>
>>2015963
Yes, definitely. There are many factors that make them highly desirable

>small
(not only do people generally like smaller dogs for one reason or another, but many people live in a place that only allows smaller dogs)
>cute and unusual looking
>popular hipster/meme dogs
>uncommon
>young
>purebred, or at least a known dominant breed

There would be a ton of competition for that
>>
>>2015970
Ah. I didn't know.
I'm in a similar boat as those folks then. I need a small (Less than 45lbs-ish) dog. For where I live has a rule about large dogs. But at the same time the dog should be high energy because I like to go hiking, mushroom hunting, general adventure shenanigans in the woods.
I have an Aussie and before that a collie mix so I suppose I have a comfort zone with herding dogs.
>>
>>2015978
Just for the small breeds there will be competition. And herding dogs are usually beautiful, and picked up fast. That being said, you might want to look for other shelters/rescues, or widen your horizons.

I know a lot of people talk shit about pit bulls, but animals shelters don't have DNA tests for their dogs, and there are a ton of mixed breeds that can look like pit bulls. The American Pit Bull Terrier is more prone to dog aggression, but the amount of APBTs out there are so slim, most pits claimed to be purebred are really mutts upon mutts upon mutts.

Older collie mixes, unfortunately, have a tendency to get picked up and returned often because people think they are beautiful and realize they are a lot of dog. So while there are many in rescues and shelters, you may have to keep in mind that they may be coming with some awful habits and separation anxiety.

There are also smaller terriers that may be good for what you are looking for. They are high energy and JRT often find their way in shelters because of their energy.

I always try to tell people to look past the apparent breed though, because when it comes to shelters, breed is just appearance and nothing more. What makes up the physical appearance of a dog is less than 1% of their genes. I had a dog I swore was a chi and poodle mix, did a DNA test, and found out that he was actually more staffordshire terrier than poodle and no chi at all. So just try to go in with an open mind and take each dog at face value. If it's a lazy aussie, it might just be a lazy dog. If it's an active greyhound, it might just be a wired dog, etc

Always do a dog to dog introduction before the adoption, though, and never leave the two dogs alone for any great length of time.
>>
>>2015994
I think we are in the same sheet of music.
Really I have just been hitting up local counties shelters with a checklist.
I have NEEDS and WANTS and I'm not trying to force anything to happen.
I NEED the dog to be under the weight limit so it can live with me. Not that the people here are going to put my dog on a scale but they'll object if I bring home a saint Bernard for instance.
I NEED a dog that isn't stranger aggressive. Again, I go for hikes and junk in the woods, camp with my friends in the middle of nowhere. If one gets up to pee in the middle of the night I don't want to have a friend get hurt accidentally. Granted this is probably me just over thinking things.
I WOULD LIKE to have another comparable dog to my Aussie in terms of energy, smarts , and temperament. She learns pretty fast and I've been able to teach her things I didn't even think we're in the realm of my ability to teach. Not that I need or expect every dog to be wunderkind , it would be nice if said dog wasn't stubborn.
I WOULD LIKE said dog to be young so I can raise it in an active environment and be responsible for the early stages of socialization . If said dog were 5+ years old I wouldn't mind so long as it can keep up and learn to play nice .

I don't mean for that to sound like I'm telling at you, just typing this out actually helps me think it more through and what I might have said at the shelter.

I'll look into terriers. I think I don't give them enough credit. I'm afraid if I take it on a hike that it might get tired after walking all day. Or if we impromptu swim that any current would overwhelm the dog.

How do you feel two dogs should be introduced? I don't know if I'm doing it right but usually it goes down on neutral ground where they're introduced after some form of exercise and wind down session. Honestly that has just worked for me, so it could be a fluke or maybe you could shed some more light on the subject?
>>
>>2015999
there are large terriers, you know. I've always thought about an airedale. they seem really neat. the only thing is that I wouldn't know where to start at all with grooming, since they need to be 'stripped', and I have no idea how to do that.

they seem like they'd be pretty good bros for camping and things though
>>
>>2016011
The problem is, large dogs are an issue for anon's living situation.

>>2015999
My brother owned a carin terrier/yorkie mix and even though they are small, I still haven't seen a person or dog that could wear them out. Of course, that might be too much for you and your other dog. But smaller dogs, especially the smaller terriers, can be very high energy.

That's pretty much how meet and greets work. Leash the dogs up in a fenced in area, keep them in the middle so they don't feel cornered, walk with the dog so leashes don't tangle. Keep a squirt bottle of water as a distraction if things escalate. I would advise against having the dogs meet through a fence or door first, because it can get them frustrated and make the meet go a little sour. Just keep an eye on signs like big eyes, ears low, hackles raised (hackles raised could mean they are interested in something), stiff body, staring, etc.
>>
>>2016011
I will keep those in mind. I'm not opposed to any specific breed, if I were I don't think I'd be spending hours every weekend at shelters and would instead look for a breeder.
>>2016019
Ah, that's comforting to hear I haven't been botching meets up too badly.

I have found a few dogs at shelters that matched what I needed but they tend to be not so friendly. Partially on my dog's fault and partially on theirs. I don't want to ruin my current dog's standard of comfort or have her well being an expense of another dog.

I'm trying to be responsible... I just don't know if I'm going about it the right way.
Can you foster dogs of you already have one?
Get her used to the idea that one may be joining us soon? At the same time sort of test drive some dogs and see how they like life with me?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.