[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else have a really, really bad problem with procrastination?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Anyone else have a really, really bad problem with procrastination?

Like, not just lazy, but somethings-actually-fucked-in-your-head serious

I think I'm addicted to procrastinating. I get a perverse pleasure from setting up an important task, and then not doing it. It's almost impossible to defy. When the deadline gets close and task magnitude becomes overwhelming, I panic and feel sick, and then waste more time on druglike experiences to dull the pain. Repeat ad infinitum.

In 3 years of university, there has not been a single assignment that I have not done in a caffeine fueled overnight delerium the night before its due. Not a one.
I do it with non-academic tasks, too.
Well, now the brain's adapted to intense anxiety by just not feeling it anymore. So I've levelled up from 3 to 4 in pic related.

I'm starting to think I need therapy..
>>
>>18727637
Yes. You can fix it by prioritizing, force yourself to do it, force yourself to start. But then again, I always fall back into procrastination
>>
>>18727637
>Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results
Change is hard, but its the only way to get different results.
>>
>>18727680
>force yourself to start.
Sometimes, the intense work required gets me into a sort of working momentum. But I never, ever keep it going after the causal task is finished.

>>18727686
>Change is hard, but its the only way to get different results.
I try 'getting rid of distractions', but I just always find new ones. When there is literally nothing else but the work, then I start daydreaming every 10 minutes

OK, I want to change. I actually like my subject of study and dream of doing piles and piles of work. None of it is hard, I just NEVER DO IT.

What can I change?
>>
>>18727637
I reached level 4 when I've been ignoring all my tickets, child support, jury duty summons, etc
>>
>>18727712

No but on a serious note OP, little by little change.

I started going to a boxing gym and now I find myself going daily, and it's slowly transferring over to other life activities
>>
>>18727700
Whenever you're aware of procrastinating, just count to three and then start doing what you're supposed to be doing. Just like that. Condition yourself that way, and whenever you catch yourself daydreaming, count to three and get back to work.

I saw in a movie ("Thank You For Smoking" I think?) and it worked for me.
>>
>>18727718
Interesting that you say this. Just went to a communications training for work (mandatory training), and they also recommended instead of following routine after routine, just stop for 1 second, think, then do.
>>
>>18727718
>>18727727

OP here. Fairly desperate, and this sounds logical. I think I'll try it.

There must be a compendium of little tricks like this to tactically use brain mechanics to overcome procrastination, somewhere. But whenever you google, it's always the generic, 'remove all distractions' shit.
>>
File: 5471650b097f5-full.jpg (646KB, 616x408px) Image search: [Google]
5471650b097f5-full.jpg
646KB, 616x408px
Bump. I want more anons' experiences and input on this; maybe more tips.
>>
>>18727637
I used to procrastinate all the way through high school, it really fucked up my grades, but I fixed it through building up habits over time. When I tried to just start study for hours a day I always ended up not studying at all. It's muc easier to do if you start out studying for maybe one hour every day.
>>
File: 1505525248508.png (96KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
1505525248508.png
96KB, 363x475px
Currently in crisis phase; 5am, running on caffeine.

An interesting observation: When I'm extremely tired, as I am now, my capacity for emotion reduces. I'm a lot less reactive, and I feel things less. Interestingly, this extends to my addictive emotion-patterns. I don't feel the inexorable pull of procrastination as much, nor the deadline anxiety. I am able to ignore the all-devouring impulses of procrastination, and actually do things. And it works - albeit for the fact that at the same time, I'm working with sleep-decimated cognitive abilities.

I wonder what this information could mean to a neurologist..
>>
>>18728187
Do you try to avoid something ? Not just what you have to do, but some mental state, fears, responsibility, I don't know...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.