[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone pls help me get my shit together? Today i got prescribed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4332.jpg (35KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4332.jpg
35KB, 1000x1000px
Can someone pls help me get my shit together?
Today i got prescribed insulin for my pregnancy diabetes and now i have to inject it for the first time.
I can't bring myself to insert the needle into my leg. I've been sitting here since 10 mins, trying to get over myself and just get it done.

Just someone telling me to not be such a pussy.

Thanks...
>>
>>18725385
What is your fasting blood glucose level? and 60 or 90 minutes post-prandial?
>>
>>18725385
And how high did your blood glucose go during your OGTT (when you drank the drink to get diagnosed with neonatal diabetes)?
>>
>>18725385
Just do it. Count down from 3 and do it before you even finish saying 1. The first stick is the hardest. YOU CAN DO IT. It barely hurts. I'm a nurse. I stick people all the time.
>>
>>18725387
>>18725392

My fasting level and 90 mins was good at the test, it was the 60 mins that was too high (10,4).
Then i had to test my levels before and after every meal and the last few days the fasting levels were too high(this morning it was 7,6) without a reason (i really stuck to all the eating guidelines...) plus the baby's a bit too big, so they decided that i need to get insulin.

>>18725393
I did it!
I had no issues with doing it in my fongertip for blood measuring, but somehow that needle seemed huge and it took me a lot more than i thought it would to stick it into my leg. Oh well, guess i'll get used to it in the next few days.

Thanks a lot
>>
>>18725407
Oh, fasting of 7.6 mM is high but not insanely high. Good job injecting the insulin. I really recommend trying to decrease your BG by exercise and diet and trying to limit your insulin requirements. Neonatal diabetes is really not a big deal, and the risks are really minimal, but taking insulin is a riskier option for you and the baby. I'm not saying it isn't safe, just that if you can exercise (even just doing seated light weight bicep curls if you're on bed rest) and watching your carbs a bit that is a better option.

I do diabetes research, primarily type 1 but we're also interested in type 2, neonatal and gestational.
>>
>>18725430
I already do that since 3 weeks. Believe me, i mever thought to be able to be so disciplined... i eat at exactly 7:00, 12:00 and 18:00 with two snacks inbetween and a glass of mill before bed. I measure out all my food, i haven't had a single thing containing sugar that isn't fruit (which i only eat once a day and paired with nuts), i only eat whole wheat, i eat huge amounts of vegetables and i make sure i move for atleast 30 mins each day. I really don't know what else i could tweak to not need insulin. My dietarian thinks there's nothing i could do better, too.
I guess i just need to stick to the medication. I wish i wouldn't have to, but it's better than having too high levels all the time.

Oh, that's interesting. What exactly are you researching?

It's weird. I have nobody in my extended family who ever dealt with diabetes and i myself am at a healthy weight, always ate fairly well, was active and i'm not even at the age range that's at risk for gestational diabetes (i'm 28...).
Guess i just had bad luck.
>>
>>18725446
It sounds like you're doing great then! Gestational diabetes is in most cases not a big deal so try not to stress about it. To put it in perspective, you're at about 80% higher risk for complications like macrosomia, but someone with type 2 diabetes is at 700% higher risk. My best friend also just had it and I know it is such a nightmare to deal with the meal plans - she was also on bed rest and it was so awful. Her baby was totally fine, normal size and very healthy. Pregnancy is such a burden and you're awesome for doing it! It won't be a big deal if you occasionally (like 1-2 times a month) do have a treat with sugar or a piece of white bread haha. We know that the main thing is keeping your BG down most of the time (that is what HbA1c measures, kind of your average blood glucose level), and 1 hour out of 730 in a month isn't going to impact anything much.

Gestational diabetes seems to be on the rise in the same way that T1DM and T2DM are on the rise, and we don't really know why. People in my field generally think that it is due to environmental exposures like pollution and epigenetics, so it isn't surprising that you're the first in your family to have it.

I'm primarily interested in developing stem-cell derived insulin-producing cells as a cell therapy for T1DM, but also in β cell heterogeneity and development. In our lab we are also interested in diet, and hormones like leptin, as well as gene editing. We're a big lab so we're doing a little bit of everything.
>>
>>18725407
>I did it!
I love u sweet anon good job.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.