[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in my first few semester of College, and I'm kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1498529729143.png (2MB, 898x897px) Image search: [Google]
1498529729143.png
2MB, 898x897px
I'm in my first few semester of College, and I'm kind of wavering away from a Mechanical Engineering Degree. I'm currently between some other options instead, as the more computer and technology-centric classes are swaying my interests. The options I'm torn between are (and these are all assuming I complete a bachelors in that respective major,) Computer Engineering, Computer Systems Engineering, and Cybersecurity.
Does anyone here work in these fields that can shed some light on what the work is like and what I might be in for with each of these? I've done reading on google and such but I can't help but feel a lot of what I'm reading isn't quite "real", so to speak. Are any particularly good choices, are any not specialized enough to be meaningful in the industry, and are there any nuances particular to each that I should be aware of?

I tried /g/ but they're very quiet
>>
>>18719328
>first few semester of College
>Mechanical Engineering Degree

when you actually take a mechanical engineering class in 1.5 years come back and let us know if you liked it or not.
>>
>Mech Eng
No personal experience but from what I understand these are the guys who go insane chasing after .01% manufacturing efficiency boosts in stupid mass produced parts nobody cares about.
>Computer Engineering
My uncle did that up at Intel's Hillsboro location before they canned him to bring in fresh meat. After nearly 10 years working there. You ARE disposable and it's easier to replace you than retrain you as the wheels of progress crush you. Now he does datacenter something or whatever. He's trying to get into firmware design somewhere but no luck because all his experience is with microprocessor logic gates. Hard to apply that to anything else.
>Computer Systems Engineering
Bachelors? Fat chance of finding a job.
>Cybersecurity
This was my major for a while before I decided not to wager my career on P ?= NP. It's just highly focused software engineering, but still pretty damn versatile class wise. It might be hard to persaude employers of that though, especially if you get an interview with the HR bitch instead of the head designer. The thing is a software engineer will have no problem convincing anyone they're capable of sec with the right certs.
Whatever you do, don't do computer science unless you actually want to do research and development on a theoretical level, and that's doctorate tier. A bachelors in CS is the new associates in liberal arts.
>>
>>18720174
Try a non mechanical engineering. But engineering is so hard, not everyone is a heavy hitter like that OP. Join the darkside of business school, if you take initiative you can learn high levles of math and apply that to your education.

But again, Mech engineering is shit. They don't do mech engineering anymore. The chinese do that.
>>
>>18719328
That is exactly what the first few semesters in college are for, to give you the chance to test the waters in your major and, if you're not thrilled, shop around elsewhere.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.